BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:18:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I really liked the ones I've shot and if they weren't so expensive I'd buy one.  Not every gun has to be about defensive use; I own guns as much for my shooting enjoyment as I do for defense.  
View Quote

The way OP's message read was that it wouldn't be half bad in a defensive role.  Depends on your definition of "half bad", but there are quite a few things better for that role and not a whole lot of things that are worse that are equal in size and cost.  

Now, strictly speaking from a fun/toy standpoint, I'd have to agree, PCC's are fun.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:36:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't be completely against a 9mm Storm with 147gr HST's under my bed.  But I think my suppressed 12.5" SBR fits there better
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:41:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

No they are not.  They are several inches shorter and much lighter.  Its meant to be a pistol caliber carbine that is light weight not a battle rifle.  It fits its niche very well.  Plus, they are just fun to shoot!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was handling one the other day and they are really well made and feel great. Hell I wouldn't mind having one.

My problem with treating them as a viable option for home and self defense or shtf or what ever is that pistol caliber carbines are essentially the same size as an AR. So why not just get the AR?

No they are not.  They are several inches shorter and much lighter.  Its meant to be a pistol caliber carbine that is light weight not a battle rifle.  It fits its niche very well.  Plus, they are just fun to shoot!

OVERALL LENGTH:
M&P 15 Sport:  32"
Beretta CX4:  29.7"

WEIGHT:
M&P 15 Sport:  6.5 lbs
Beretta CX4:  5.7 lbs

PRICE:
M%P 15 Sport:  $560
Beretta CX4:  $700            

So it's 2.3" shorter and .8 lbs lighter.  Not exactly what I'd call groundbreaking.  Not to even mention you can get an AR for hundreds less.

Outside of a fun range toy, this thing is next to useless when looked at amongst the other options.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:45:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I like PCC's.  Never shot a cx4, but I had a hi-point (I know...) in .40 s&w and it was alot of fun.  I live in NY where defense isn't allowed, so I only buy guns for fun.  I'm sure for you average home SD situation they would be fine.  I like the look of the cx4, and I'm sure they're a blast for plinking.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:45:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Context Is everything isn't it?

Let's say that, hypothetically you have a mortal combat situation. Like only one of you gets out alive, situation.
You are unarmmored, with..... What ever the fuck your want.
The other guy is equipped with a storm, with modern ammo.
How light do you take this threat?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Come on now, I have a CX4 storm........

MOA? I don't know who you think you are kidding.......a Storm isn't even close to MOA. I don't know of a MOA PCC period...let alone the storm........    Even the best bolt action PCR's are not MOA. Maybe close....but not quite there. A blowback PCC........COME ON MAN!!!

The Storm has perhaps, the shittiest trigger ever devised by mankind. Terrible doesn't even come close to describing the shit that forms in my mind every time I squeeze a round off in the storm.......  It's atrocious......

It takes shitty mags, on a shitty place on the carbine. It makes shooting prone, or in awkward positions....even more awkward. Normal capacity...is pistol capacity=shit

The rails are garbage, adding a FH to add a suppressor isn't 922r kosher, it's a PIA to strip and clean.........

If you seriously think the cx4 is a serious weapon.....there is not much helping you. It's nothing more than a range toy...and not a very good one at that. Not EVEN CLOSE to a 9mm AR.

Context Is everything isn't it?

Let's say that, hypothetically you have a mortal combat situation. Like only one of you gets out alive, situation.
You are unarmmored, with..... What ever the fuck your want.
The other guy is equipped with a storm, with modern ammo.
How light do you take this threat?

I wouldn't take it lightly, but I'd still think my opponent was a blithering fucking idiot for making the weapon selection he did.  The majority of handgun caliber wounds are survivable and your chances go way down once it steps up into rifle territory.

If I have to have an option, and all else being equal, I'd rather have an opponent with a PCC than one with a rifle.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:47:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Wow, I guess you don't like the Storm much.  I agree the trigger isn't the best so I had Sierra Papa do mine and now it is great.  I find it a lot of fun to shoot and some people buy guns just to have fun.  I have plenty of other choices for serious defense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Come on now, I have a CX4 storm........

MOA? I don't know who you think you are kidding.......a Storm isn't even close to MOA. I don't know of a MOA PCC period...let alone the storm........    Even the best bolt action PCR's are not MOA. Maybe close....but not quite there. A blowback PCC........COME ON MAN!!!

The Storm has perhaps, the shittiest trigger ever devised by mankind. Terrible doesn't even come close to describing the shit that forms in my mind every time I squeeze a round off in the storm.......  It's atrocious......

It takes shitty mags, on a shitty place on the carbine. It makes shooting prone, or in awkward positions....even more awkward. Normal capacity...is pistol capacity=shit

The rails are garbage, adding a FH to add a suppressor isn't 922r kosher, it's a PIA to strip and clean.........

If you seriously think the cx4 is a serious weapon.....there is not much helping you. It's nothing more than a range toy...and not a very good one at that. Not EVEN CLOSE to a 9mm AR.

Wow, I guess you don't like the Storm much.  I agree the trigger isn't the best so I had Sierra Papa do mine and now it is great.  I find it a lot of fun to shoot and some people buy guns just to have fun.  I have plenty of other choices for serious defense.

The part I'm confused about is in red.  I don't have much experience with AK's (it seems 922r is always being talked about in reference to that platform) so I'm not familiar with the intricacies of it.

I thought 922r governed how many "US made" parts had to be on the rifle.  I would figure if you added a "Made in the USA" suppressor mount, you'd be in the clear.

Where am I going wrong here?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:19:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

As said before, it's just a tool designed for a need. 5.56 and other cartridges are top of the line for man killing.
Still, there is a place of guns like this. They are scary accurate and reasonably capable of dispatch. Ergo, in the event that those other, arguably more effective calibers are unavailable, consider this a reasonable alternative for unarmored varmints.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Holy fuck this reads like a Guns & Ammo column.

I'm sure it's great OP, but I'll keep my RIFLE.

Just a tool, guy. It has its limitations, to be sure.

But it's a pretty good tool for what it's designed for. Try one out if you get the chance.

I have several PX4's and several ar-pistols.

IMHO, there is no need.

As said before, it's just a tool designed for a need. 5.56 and other cartridges are top of the line for man killing.
Still, there is a place of guns like this. They are scary accurate and reasonably capable of dispatch. Ergo, in the event that those other, arguably more effective calibers are unavailable, consider this a reasonable alternative for unarmored varmints.

WTF is SCARY ACCURATE exactly?

ETA: me thinks OP just bought his first firearm and wanted to "join the club"

Congrats OP.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:30:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I've been in and out of PCCs before.  I usually shoot them for a few months to a year before I get bored and ask myself why I got into it.
My own current trend is with AR pistols and the Sig brace - even with a 10.5" bbl it comes in shorter than a Beretta Storm, and a 7.5" bbl is even shorter.  And I get common mags and ammo.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:40:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've been in and out of PCCs before.  I usually shoot them for a few months to a year before I get bored and ask myself why I got into it.
My own current trend is with AR pistols and the Sig brace - even with a 10.5" bbl it comes in shorter than a Beretta Storm, and a 7.5" bbl is even shorter.  And I get common mags and ammo.

<a href="http://s37.photobucket.com/user/bikedamon/media/arfcom/2ba_zpsb8ed04d5.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e59/bikedamon/arfcom/2ba_zpsb8ed04d5.jpg</a>
View Quote

Damn. That looks like a stromtroopers rifle
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:40:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I crave one in fortyfive ACP
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:42:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s37.photobucket.com/user/bikedamon/media/arfcom/2ba_zpsb8ed04d5.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e59/bikedamon/arfcom/2ba_zpsb8ed04d5.jpg</a>
View Quote

Slick looking setup
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:48:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stormtroopers had no white on their weapons.  And I shoot better than them.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:56:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Also, OP, when you say "personal brush with" you make it sound like one almost mugged you.  Or you spotted one in the woods ala bigfoot.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:10:24 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought a CX-4 Storm in 9mm that takes M9 mags back in the Spring. I like it a lot:

• It is very light and short, due to the telescoping bolt.

• It's very reliable. I have at least 500 rounds through it with zero malfunctions of any kind. I mostly use Mec-Gar 20 round mags.

• Head shot accurate to 50 yards (the furthest I've shot it).

• Great ergonomics. I revers the safety and charging handle for southpaw use. I left the mag release alone because I just use my middle finger to drop the mag.

• Mild report due to 9mm in a 16" barrel.

I would feel fine relying on it for home defense. 9mm < 5.56mm but it's nothing to sneeze at, either. Nobody blinks an eye when someone says they rely on a 9mm handgun for home defense. 9mm out of carbine has somewhat improved ballistics and much better hit probability. It's basically a two handed pistol, but would be easier to shoot one-handed than a 9mm AR15 if necessary, due to the gun's design.

IMO, YMMV, ASDA.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:11:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Yep, I had a CX4 Storm in 9mm a few years ago. It was STUPID accurate. STUPID. ACCURATE.

I shot it at 25 and 50 yards, but only a couple times to the range.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:20:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Very nice

Edit: I love my two PCCs, and wouldn't hesitate to use either in a SD/HD situation...  But I'd prefer my 12.5" AR SBR.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:27:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
What is it designed for?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But it's a pretty good tool for what it's designed for. Try one out if you get the chance.

What is it designed for?

I am going to have one in 9 MM one of these days.

Intended purpose is to make "mamma bear" into "deadly at 50 yards do not piss her off mamma bear".

It's not really a substitute for a guy with an AR-15. But it'll take a pistol bearing 50 year old female and make her into a force to be reckoned with. A 50 year old woman with small hands and short arms is going to get at peak or nearly at peak effectiveness with one of these things.

Plus, I'd get to use it as a range toy.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:36:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMHO, there is no need.

Dude what language is that?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:36:52 AM EDT
[#19]
I really like my .45 ACP Storm, but as mentioned above already, with the advent of the Sig Brace, I'm looking at assembling a .300 BLK AR pistol to replace it for home defense, and another to replace my SUB2000 as a trunk gun.

Just haven't decided whether to sell them or not...
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:46:44 AM EDT
[#20]
I got one in 9mm.  Love it.  Great little carbine
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:52:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Couple tightwads in this thread.  Unbunch your panties!  I wouldn't feel bad having to defend myself with my storm.  Is there better options?  Yes.  Are you looking to be dicks?  Yes. I have a glock 30 at my bedside.  Is there better options than that?  Maybe?  All preference but no reason to slap OP.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Couple tightwads in this thread.  Unbunch your panties!  I wouldn't feel bad having to defend myself with my storm.  Is there better options?  Yes.  Are you looking to be dicks?  Yes. I have a glock 30 at my bedside.  Is there better options than that?  Maybe?  All preference but no reason to slap OP.
View Quote

You see this a lot in GD.  If there is a better option all lesser options are completely useless.  Pay attention to the shotgun home defense threads.  Apparently shotguns are only good for birds according to some here since an AR is superior for home defense.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:36:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Want one in 40
View Quote

i want one in .368 remchester mag
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:46:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMHO, there is no need.

iPad -fu
If you can't understand what I meant don't comment on it.
Oh wait.....
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:51:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Is this what we're discussing?

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:57:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Well, originally something close to that.
Just not as ridiculous as the picture that I assume is an acog with a Walter symbol on it. Airsoft I'd imagine....

And then, of course, the tour moves on.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:59:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Thanks dude
31 and I feel like an old man already. Ha!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Happy birthday.

Thanks dude
31 and I feel like an old man already. Ha!

I turned 36 yesterday. It gets worse.

I liked the storm I shot. Pricy for what it is IMO, but a fun little gun nonetheless.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:00:50 PM EDT
[#28]
MOA?  To what range?  50 yards?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:07:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

As I understand MOA , It is standardized a 100 yards.
To be fair, yes it was a 50 yard range. However, me and a frind of mine were making penny sized groups at that distance.
Occationaly anyway.

So my understanding then, is that (expanded twice over) those measurements equate to MOA.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:10:07 PM EDT
[#30]

I took mine shooting this morning and had fun.  My friend loved it and is thinking of one as a possibility for his wife.  She doesn't like shotguns due to the recoil and he doesn't think he could sell her on an AR either so it sure beats strong language.  As mentioned by another poster, it is far more likely to be accurate than a handgun at any distance.  I have about 1000 rounds through mine with no problems.  

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#31]
I've considered getting one for the wife because she's cross eye dominant and it fucks everything up. The Cx4 seems like a decent option for dealing with it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:24:31 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

To be fair, yes it was a 50 yard range. However, me and a frind of mine were making penny sized groups at that distance.

Occationaly anyway.

So my understanding then, is that (expanded twice over) those measurements equate to MOA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Occationaly anyway.

Not exactly. Minute of arc. 1" at 100 yards is an approximation. It's actually 1.047" at 100 yards, or 0.5235" at 50 yards.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:34:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Not exactly. Minute of arc. 1" at 100 yards is an approximation. It's actually 1.047" at 100 yards, or 0.5235" at 50 yards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Occationaly anyway.

Does anyone remember how I said this was originally a ROUGH ESTIMATE?

I do appreciate the education, however.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:51:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Bought a storm the other day for a self birthday. Bought an optic, primary arms red dot to boot.

Sighted it in today. No pics but neither is this statement bullshit.

For those of you that doubt the pistol caliber cabines value, do not underestimate this weapon. It is a serious, no bullshit, rounds will go exactly where you want weapon. It was 9mm but insanely easy to handle and just as accurate a rifle as any of the best I've ever handled. Perhaps not a war time battle rifle, but I wouldn't feel under gunned in a pinch. After all it's the Indian, not the arrow
Rough estimate is about MOA to perhaps better.

Armored targets will fair bettter though. Surprise
View Quote

If someone made a US produced threaded barrel version of this gun that took G19 mags, I would be all over it like a fat girl on a twinkie.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:44:49 PM EDT
[#35]
One of the things I've been debating is whether to cut off that damned web between the stock and the pistol grip. It utterly screws up the ability to easily manipulate the weapon when reloading.

I've seen some extremely nice examples of this floating around, but I'm nervous about taking a hacksaw to one of my guns...
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#36]
I loved mine, wish I had kept it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:55:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Wish they did the following:

1) Made a traditional style stock for ban states. The ugly retarded thumbhole stock is still banned in most ban states.

2) For non-ban states, make one with a nice adjustable stock. Remove the thing that connects the pistol grip to the stock. Make a newer, thinner handgaurdwith some rails. Add flip up sights.

3) Keep the price around $700-800.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:00:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Wouldn't mind adding One to my collection of .40 carbines.
Haters gonna hate...
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:25:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is your Glock 30 the same size and weight as a 16" rifle?  If not than it has tangible benefits over said rifle.  Ease of maneuverability, easier one handed operation, arguably better weapon retention properties.

A 16" PCC is one of the worst choices a person can make in anything outside of a "let's have fun at the range" role.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You see this a lot in GD.  If there is a better option all lesser options are completely useless.  Pay attention to the shotgun home defense threads.  Apparently shotguns are only good for birds according to some here since an AR is superior for home defense.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny ol' world, eh? You try to give people real time, good information and...insults.

My opinion is that those are two weapons that will do serious damage when held by the right person. And yet that opinion is completey ignored by some in this thread.
As if this possiblity somehow atrophies their rifles ability. Which of course it does not....
But on some levels they are reasonably comparable for potential lethality.

Say within 25-50 yards.100 would be a strech, but within what I would consider acceptable limits. With the PCC anyway.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:44:36 PM EDT
[#41]
That gun is the best kept secret in firearms.  I LOOOOOOOOVE it and best thing is my wife can actually HIT stuff with it!!!!!  her gun.  Awesome weapon.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:46:42 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Yep, I had a CX4 Storm in 9mm a few years ago. It was STUPID accurate. STUPID. ACCURATE.

View Quote

Mine was PARALYZINGLY accurate.

I shot a bunch of carbine matches with it, and it was SWIMMINGLY proficient in that role. SWIMMINGLY.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:48:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

ours is PSYCHOTIC ACCURATE.

PSYCHOTIC.  ACCURATE.

AND PRECISE.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Have to buy an insert for it to take 92 mags

http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta-cx4-storm-magazine-insert-for-92-96-series/c5a511/

No big deal.  Kind of want
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:53:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

PSYCHOTIC.  ACCURATE.

AND PRECISE.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PSYCHOTIC.  ACCURATE.

AND PRECISE.

You know, I think I'm being made fun of....
Now I'm going to have to see a councilor, and there's going to be this whole thing....
I'm going to have to tell my mom that the Internet doesn't like me.

Happy Halloween guys
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:18:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Funny ol' world, eh? You try to give people real time, good information and...insults.

My opinion is that those are two weapons that will do serious damage when held by the right person. And yet that opinion is completey ignored by some in this thread.
As if this possiblity somehow atrophies their rifles ability. Which of course it does not....

Say within 25-50 yards.100 would be a strech, but within what I would consider acceptable limits. With the PCC anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A pistol cartridge is in no way anywhere near comparable to a rifle caliber, at any range, when discussing lethality.

If you can have a PCC by your side in a defensive situation, you could also have a rifle caliber weapon by your side.  There is no scenario I could envision where I could reach a PCC but cannot reach a rifle.  The only way that could happen is if you consciously made the decision to employ said PCC in a defensive role.  People who do their research don't do that.

I'm sure it's a fun little range gun, but please, stop trying to tout this thing as something it is not.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:19:37 PM EDT
[#47]
I reload both rifle and pistol using a case feeder equipped Dillon 650.

The only advantage with a PCC that I can think of is that the brass doesn't need to be trimmed.  It can go from empty shell casing to loaded round with just one trip through the press.

The Storm carbine would be even sweeter if it could take Glock 18 mags, the 33 rounders:

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:24:19 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
What is it designed for?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is it designed for?

Smoking toasters.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:09:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Bought a storm the other day for a self birthday. Bought an optic, primary arms red dot to boot.

Sighted it in today. No pics but neither is this statement bullshit.

For those of you that doubt the pistol caliber cabines value, do not underestimate this weapon. It is a serious, no bullshit, rounds will go exactly where you want weapon. It was 9mm but insanely easy to handle and just as accurate a rifle as any of the best I've ever handled. Perhaps not a war time battle rifle, but I wouldn't feel under gunned in a pinch. After all it's the Indian, not the arrow
Rough estimate is about MOA to perhaps better.

Armored targets will fair bettter though. Surprise
View Quote

Hey, man, just to try to make up for some of the douchebaggerry/Debbie Downer-ism in this thread...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#50]
I'd probably just get the Highpoint version
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top