Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2014 10:21:23 PM EDT
I know, asking for medical advice on here when I should  be calling my dentist.

Anyway, I made a appointment for a pretty bad cavity. My fault that I let it go this long, I know and have learned my lesson.

Anyway, for 2 days it was I was experiencing some pain. Not severe or anything, so no big deal, oragel  untill my appointment. Well today, my gum has swollen up right by the cavity. I no longer feel the actual tooth hurting me, unless I put pressure on it or the gum.

I plan on calling my dentist as soon as they open to see if they want me to come in to get antibiotics or if they have to do something right away. I know nothing about teeth, so I was wondering wondering how severe this really is, and if I can wait 2 weeks for my appointment
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:25:20 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have to wait two weeks , I'd strongly suggest some anti-biotics, ASAP, to help the swelling and rot pain ....they are NO FUN when they abscess

If you have a regular doc , call them tomorrow morning, explain the tooth,and ask for them to call in a script , they should without much hassle.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:25:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Got an ice skate and a rock? Then hit the pet store for a score
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:26:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got an ice skate and a rock?
View Quote

I'd have to consult my friend wilson first
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:28:44 PM EDT
[#4]
You do NOT want to wait 2 weeks for an appointment.  Dental infections can be life threatening.  Most dentists will do emergency work.  Which this is now.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:29:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Tooth probably is dead or dying and you have a periapical or periradicular abscess. Your lucky thoiugh, the root canal treatment can save your tooth (if it isn't too badly decayed and if there are no other complications.)
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:33:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You do NOT want to wait 2 weeks for an appointment.  Dental infections can be life threatening.  Most dentists will do emergency work.  Which this is now.
View Quote
The antibiotics will put the infection on hold , quite well actually . . . . just dont say screw it and not go when it starts feeling 'normal' again after the ab's kick .

Ampicillin is cheap.......probably a lot cheaper than the added expense of an 'emergency' visit

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:33:28 PM EDT
[#7]
coconut oil or heroin might help

pry best to see a dentist
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:37:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep, at this stage, it's going to be a root canal or extraction.  First priority is going to be getting the swelling down with antibiotics then how much money you want to spend.  Remember its cheaper to save then extract and replace.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:39:55 PM EDT
[#9]
My Dad's friend died from an abscessed tooth. That's nothing to play around with.

Extractr coulda got you in during his down time while he was bored making vampire teeth.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:40:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The antibiotics will put the infection on hold , quite well actually . . . . just dont say screw it and not go when it starts feeling 'normal' again after the ab's kick .

Ampicillin is cheap.......probably a lot cheaper than the added expense of an 'emergency' visit

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely not going to let it go. I need to get in a good habit to see me dentist regularly.

I don't know if it's a good thing or not but right now I'm not in pain, I just can't eat on that side.

Didn't know it was life threatening though..
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:41:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yep, at this stage, it's going to be a root canal or extraction.  First priority is going to be getting the swelling down with antibiotics then how much money you want to spend.  Remember its cheaper to save then extract and replace.
View Quote

Its going to need replaced, it's too late to save it. I've made a big mistake with this one.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:43:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Definitely not going to let it go. I need to get in a good habit to see me dentist regularly.

I don't know if it's a good thing or not but right now I'm not in pain, I just can't eat on that side.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not life threatening with ABT's but it used to be a common cause of death before them.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:43:29 PM EDT
[#13]
You should have gone to a dentist ASAP, buddy.

Root canals are the suck and they aren't guaranteed.  That tooth could crack and you will be in some real pain.

I had one big tooth taken out that I'd had a root canal done on, a couple years later it cracked and was painful.

Had another tooth taken out this year, bad wisdom tooth finally rotted enough and cracked on a sunday.

About $500 to have a dentist come in to his office on an emergency.

I couldn't live with the pain of a cracked tooth.

Fuck that.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:44:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is the infection on your top or lower jaw?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:45:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lower
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:47:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Lower
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lower

How many teeth forward from your last, back tooth in your jaw?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:47:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BTDT . . . . and when it decides to become painful , it will surely be at an inopportune moment

Tooth aches can be excruciatingly painful .

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:49:57 PM EDT
[#18]
When was the last time you went to the dentist?  Swelling of gum could be from lack of regular dental cleaning.  Bunch of crap can build up in the gums and cause infection and swelling.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:52:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Farthest one back, not including wisdom tooth, which have  to come out soon too..
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:53:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
When was the last time you went to the dentist?  Swelling of gum could be from lack of regular dental cleaning.  Bunch of crap can build up in the gums and cause infection and swelling.
View Quote

Its been about 3 or 4 months since my cleaning and x-rays to see what needed to be done
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:53:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:55:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Farthest one back, not including wisdom tooth, which have  to come out soon too..
View Quote

How old are you and what makes you think that you have a big cavity?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:57:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

21, and my dentist told me on my last checkup that he doesn't think he can save it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:02:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Dentist? Total scam. Just read this.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:04:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Boy, I really really read this title wrong
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:23:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Infections in general can be life threatening, ask Jim Henson.  We currently live in a world of pretty effective antibiotics, but we still get things like Ebola pop up here and there.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:24:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Please vote before you die.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:27:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

21, and my dentist told me on my last checkup that he doesn't think he can save it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lower cavity...not a problem unless the infection is swelling towards your throat...and you have problems swallowing...
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:30:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Dentist? Total scam. Just read this.
View Quote

Issues?  You have them...
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:33:14 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm on antibiotics right now while I wait for my root canal appt. An infected tooth is soooo freaking painful, get to a dentist now
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top