Site Notices
Page / 224
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:42:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:46:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Third_Rail:

Well a lever action was one of the first FA guns, wasn't it? I seem to recall that's what Browning started playing with first.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jinxsters:
I'd turn my sbr's into full auto asap. Make everything FA. Even my Henry repeater.

Well a lever action was one of the first FA guns, wasn't it? I seem to recall that's what Browning started playing with first.

I was inspired to change my avatar because of this.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:50:19 AM EDT
[#3]
So should I set up a trust?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:54:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By The_Hammer:
When new MG's are finally legal my credit cards will be a cryin'
View Quote

Bye Bye retirement account.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:02:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By wolfwood:
If a lunch or dinner gets some traction we can leave it up to you guys whether you just want to have a meal or if there is interest I can turn it into a lecture on the state of firearms litigation and the Second Amendment.
I am one of the most knowledgeable people in the country regarding the history of the Second Amendment. I know that sounds like bragging but that just happens to be the case and I'd be happy to talk on the subject.  
We could not have gotten this lawsuit together if not for the people that donated to this case and the least I could do is impart some of what I know to you guys if there is interest.
View Quote

A Californian attorney giving a lecture on the second ammendment?

In all seriousness, I would thoroughly enjoy meeting you, Stephen, and others over dinner in or around Philly.  If you can come up with a presentation that includes material beyond what most of us understand from this thread and the briefings, then I'd also enjoy that as well, but it's not a big deal either way.  

I'd be very likely to attend if you get a place that's not too expensive (say $100 per person?).
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:54:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By NoloContendere:

Not yet.  Still waiting on the courts.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dillehayd:
HI guys

I am glad you enjoyed the reply brief. So as Nolo said we will be having oral arguments the first week of April in both New Orleans and Philly. I would like to gauge the interest in having a dinner after both arguments.

I am down for Nola. Is there an exact date yet?

Not yet.  Still waiting on the courts.

I'd love to buy you a drink at the sazerac.

Hit me up if you want hotel and restaurants info. I'm there 4 times a year.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:04:45 AM EDT
[#7]

I'm in!
View All Quotes

HI guys

I am glad you enjoyed the reply brief. So as Nolo said we will be having oral arguments the first week of April in both New Orleans and Philly. I would like to gauge the interest in having a dinner after both arguments.

I'm in!
Oh shit!!

I make a rule to go to New Orleans as infrequently as possible. This is.... Tempting
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:15:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Diesel_Maximus_2992:
Oh shit!!

I make a rule to go to New Orleans as infrequently as possible. This is.... Tempting
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Diesel_Maximus_2992:
HI guys

I'm in!
Oh shit!!

I don't always lose time, but when I do, I'm reasonably confident I am in New Orleans.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:21:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:44:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By I-LUV-AR15s:
Sounds like they're getting scared.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2016/02/08/3746663/the-nra-just-scored-one-of-its-biggest-victories-in-years/

View All Quotes

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2016/02/08/3746663/the-nra-just-scored-one-of-its-biggest-victories-in-years/

Suppose, for example, that an unusually conservative Congress is elected in 2016, and that Congress repeals the ban on machine guns. All that would be necessary under Thomas’s rule to render such a ban permanently unconstitutional would be for a large number of gun owners to obtain machine guns and not use them in the commission of a crime. The NRA and gun manufacturers, moreover, would have an obvious interest in ensuring that these guns become commonly held as quickly as possible — as they would be in a literal arms race to distribute the guns widely before Congress can reinstate the ban.

As if any "conservative" congress would have the balls to ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING FOR GUN RIGHTS instead of just talking a big game on the campaign trail.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:02:10 PM EDT
[#11]
recommendations on where to go for a trust?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:04:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Just pm Nolo he does them
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 3:03:33 PM EDT
[#13]
HI guys

View Quote

I'm interested - Philly is about 4 hours away from me, but it sounds like a fun trip.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 3:04:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By SimonPhoto:

I'm interested - Philly is about 4 hours away from me, but it sounds like a fun trip.
View All Quotes
HI guys

phily is 45 minutes from me, but I don't wanna show up if im not welcome. Whats the criteria?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#15]

I'm in!
View All Quotes
HI guys

I'm in!

I'm no fancy lawyer guy, but I'd be honored to have dinner with y'all.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 3:19:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Captain_Morgan:

View All Quotes
HI guys

I'm in!

I'm a maybe. Let me know when plans are made and such.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 3:35:47 PM EDT
[#17]
If freedom is afforded to we low life gun lovers, can someone point me in the right direction on converting two AR lowers? I don't know what the parts list look like nor the mods needed.
Thanks

Also Should Nolo win and gain some kind of positive movements for 2A, I imagine some people will want to catch up on the case, or some are up to speed and also would like to have all fillings and arguments in one nifty package, to read at leisure for some and study for others.

Hell I'd like to have every major 2A case, win loose or draw, let's make a hard cover table book.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 3:38:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Anybody would be welcome.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 3:41:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#19]
Originally Posted By E-Mag:
That part would be easy  
View All Quotes

Suppose, for example, that an unusually conservative Congress is elected in 2016, and that Congress repeals the ban on machine guns. All that would be necessary under Thomas’s rule to render such a ban permanently unconstitutional would be for a large number of gun owners to obtain machine guns and not use them in the commission of a crime. The NRA and gun manufacturers, moreover, would have an obvious interest in ensuring that these guns become commonly held as quickly as possible — as they would be in a literal arms race to distribute the guns widely before Congress can reinstate the ban.
That part would be easy  

easy as fuck..... if they were to open the registry for " new mg's".... holy shit, EVERY manufacturer that makes ar lowers would probably switch to making full auto lowers only, and sell them for $50-$200 bucks each....every gunsmith witht he license would be converting semi ar's to full auto, a kit containing the parts to convert your rifle yourself, with the full auto parts, a jig to drill the holes, and such, would make someone a instantly rich, .. and they would sell them as fast as they could produce them...... ( not counting people filing to convert their semis to full auto, and importers trying to bring in every cheap full auto possible ak's , mp-40's, those russian smg's, etc, etc, if possible...

i could see the atf buried in applications, and the nfa registry doubling, or even tripling in numbers within a single year.... it would also be a huge investment strategy, buy full auto lower for $100.... then a $200 tax... and if they are banned, again / registry closed, they would jump back to $20k+ again.

full autos would be everywhere. i can state for a fact id have all my ar rifles , and 10-22 rifles converted to full auto..... then buy sig mpx, and mp5 full autos..... id have all of  my g-17's converted to full auto.....    EVERYTHING ! !  

the full auto ar-15 lower would be king though..... as you can build one int0 about anything, and so many people are set up to either easily build full auto receivers, or convert semi's to full auto... im talking about the TONS of ar-15 lower manufacturers, that i assume with a license change could churn out full auto lowers by the tens of thousands per day....

they would DEFINATELY make it into " common use" in one presidential term easily.  what did they say obama sold in 6 years? 100 million guns?    it would happen again, just to give the anti's the finger.....  except this time they would all be full auto's.

this gives me hope though..... and i have little trust in our gov, or judicial system as it is.... if this goes thru and new mg's are approved, it IMHO will be a miracle, and the total OPPOSITE of what we have been getting from our courts and gov 2nd amendment wise for generations. IMHO too many courts and judges operate on how it " feels", vs what the facts are, and how it should work..., freedom can be scary, etc.  ... and you had better make the most of it while its avaliable.... as in max your credit cards and use your kids college fund to buy full auto.... as i doubt it would stay legal long..... it would probably be a window of a few years to take advantage of it....

personally... iv always thought that the ONLY way the us gov would allow new full autos be owned by your average person again, would be the invasion of the mainland usa, and they were given out in defense of the country, and massive amounts of enemy captured weapons be in civilian hands, and impossible to reclaim.... or a alien invasion... or total economic collapse where everyone goes mad max, with no gov to regulate weapons, and the gov left would be happy for law abiding citicens own full autos and band together, to do what the failing gov cant.. protect the citizens...

ala jerico... for example.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 3:41:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 3:51:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By buck19delta:

easy as fuck..... if they were to open the registry for " new mg's".... holy shit, EVERY manufacturer that makes ar lowers would probably switch to making full auto lowers only, and sell them for $50-$200 bucks each....every gunsmith witht he license would be converting semi ar's to full auto, a kit containing the parts to convert your rifle yourself, with the full auto parts, a jig to drill the holes, and such, would make someone a instantly rich, .. and they would sell them as fast as they could produce them...... ( not counting people filing to convert their semis to full auto, and importers trying to bring in every cheap full auto possible ak's , mp-40's, those russian smg's, etc, etc, if possible...

i could see the atf buried in applications, and the nfa registry doubling, or even tripling in numbers within a single year.... it would also be a huge investment strategy, buy full auto lower for $100.... then a $200 tax... and if they are banned, again / registry closed, they would jump back to $20k+ again.

full autos would be everywhere. i can state for a fact id have all my ar rifles , and 10-22 rifles converted to full auto..... then buy sig mpx, and mp5 full autos..... id have all of  my g-17's converted to full auto.....    EVERYTHING ! !  

the full auto ar-15 lower would be king though..... as you can build one int0 about anything, and so many people are set up to either easily build full auto receivers, or convert semi's to full auto...

they would DEFINATELY make it into " common use" in one presidential term easily.  what did they say obama sold in 6 years? 100 million guns?    it would happen again, just to give the anti's the finger.....  except this time they would all be full auto's.
View All Quotes

That part would be easy  

the full auto ar-15 lower would be king though..... as you can build one int0 about anything, and so many people are set up to either easily build full auto receivers, or convert semi's to full auto...

It can be common use in less than a week.   Remember, 3rd hole = machine gun.  Any idiot with a drill can turn their AR into a MG, even if that hole is slightly off, it will be a MG, and not really cause any undue issues as a semi-auto if you cannot fit in the auto sear.  

It would take no time at all for us to demolish any chance of them ever using "unusual" ever again.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 4:38:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tohbii] [#22]
If I cant legally drill a third hole into my AR15 lower receiver with my dremel tool, whats the point of living on this planet
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:18:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Except kaik.  
View All Quotes
Anybody would be welcome.

Except kaik.  

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#24]

the full auto ar-15 lower would be king though..... as you can build one int0 about anything, and so many people are set up to either easily build full auto receivers, or convert semi's to full auto... im talking about the TONS of ar-15 lower manufacturers, that i assume with a license change could churn out full auto lowers by the tens of thousands per day....

View All Quotes

That part would be easy  

this gives me hope though..... and i have little trust in our gov, or judicial system as it is.... if this goes thru and new mg's are approved, it IMHO will be a miracle, and the total OPPOSITE of what we have been getting from our courts and gov 2nd amendment wise for generations. IMHO too many courts and judges operate on how it " feels", vs what the facts are, and how it should work..., freedom can be scary, etc.  ... and you had better make the most of it while its avaliable.... as in max your credit cards and use your kids college fund to buy full auto.... as i doubt it would stay legal long..... it would probably be a window of a few years to take advantage of it....

personally... iv always thought that the ONLY way the us gov would allow new full autos be owned by your average person again, would be the invasion of the mainland usa, and they were given out in defense of the country, and massive amounts of enemy captured weapons be in civilian hands, and impossible to reclaim.... or a alien invasion... or total economic collapse where everyone goes mad max, with no gov to regulate weapons, and the gov left would be happy for law abiding citicens own full autos and band together, to do what the failing gov cant.. protect the citizens...

If the machine gun registry were to reopen, ATF would have to start selling NFA stamps by the roll.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:34:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Hell I would register the Thompson black powder pistol kit my father made  
View All Quotes
I'd turn my sbr's into full auto asap. Make everything FA. Even my Henry repeater.
Hell I would register the Thompson black powder pistol kit my father made  

Some of the earliest firearms that fired in a machinegun fashion, were made around 1800, by modifying a standard flintlock.  Additional flashports were added, so that charges could be stacked in the barrel, with the action firing the front charge, and each following shot being fired by a flashport that connected it to the charge in front of it.  The effect was similar to a roman candle, but with a very, very short delay between shots.

Next came modified volley guns.  Originally, they were made with a central barrel and six or eight barrels strapped around the central barrel, each firing a single shot at the same time (the action fired all the barrels at once).  By applying the 'roman candle' method, the central barrel could have a single charge that was fired by the action, then a flashport would fire the front charge in one of the surrounding barrels, with the next flashport firing the front charge in the adjacent barrel... The process continued until all the front charges were fired, then it would move to the second charge in each barrel...
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:37:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Tohbii:
If I cant legally drill a third hole into my AR15 lower receiver with my dremel tool, whats the point of living on this planet
View Quote

I know, right?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:51:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HistoricArmsLLC] [#27]
Third_Rail,

What you are thinking of is John Moses Browning:

"Browning began developing gas-operated machine gun designs in 1889. These designs were prompted by his observation while target shooting that the muzzle blast from shotguns disturbed the long grass at the Ogden Rifle Club. Browning realized this wasted energy could be harnessed to operate self-loading firearms including machine guns for military use.

His design ultimately became the gas-operated Colt Model 1895, the first fully automatic machine gun purchased by the U.S. Government. This machine gun was known as the "potato digger" because of its distinctive lever-style action. A lever located under the barrel was actuated by expanding gases passing through a port near the muzzle. The lever pivoted downward in a long arc to operate the self-loading mechanism. If fired too close to the ground, the lever could dig into the ground and spray dirt when fired"

He essentially took a lever action and pointed the lever forward and let propellant gas from the burning powder "rack the lever" ....
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:56:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By HistoricArmsLLC:
Third_Rail,

"Browning began developing gas-operated machine gun designs in 1889. These designs were prompted by his observation while target shooting that the muzzle blast from shotguns disturbed the long grass at the Ogden Rifle Club. Browning realized this wasted energy could be harnessed to operate self-loading firearms including machine guns for military use.

His design ultimately became the gas-operated Colt Model 1895, the first fully automatic machine gun purchased by the U.S. Government. This machine gun was known as the "potato digger" because of its distinctive lever-style action. A lever located under the barrel was actuated by expanding gases passing through a port near the muzzle. The lever pivoted downward in a long arc to operate the self-loading mechanism. If fired too close to the ground, the lever could dig into the ground and spray dirt when fired"

He essentially took a lever action and pointed the lever forward and let propellant gas from the burning gun powder "rack the lever"....
View Quote

Interesting

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 6:09:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HistoricArmsLLC] [#29]
Bolt action firearms such as this:

Can be made into machineguns like this (New Zealand circa WWII):

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 6:11:21 PM EDT
[#30]

phily is 45 minutes from me, but I don't wanna show up if im not welcome. Whats the criteria?
View All Quotes
HI guys

I'm in CC Philly every day, I would love to join in dinner. Are the arguments open to the public?  
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Xepho:

It can be common use in less than a week.   Remember, 3rd hole = machine gun.  Any idiot with a drill can turn their AR into a MG, even if that hole is slightly off, it will be a MG, and not really cause any undue issues as a semi-auto if you cannot fit in the auto sear.  

It would take no time at all for us to demolish any chance of them ever using "unusual" ever again.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Xepho:

That part would be easy  

If you fuck up, you just drill a fourth hole
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 6:33:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By dlm1984:

In all seriousness, I would thoroughly enjoy meeting you, Stephen, and others over dinner in or around Philly.  If you can come up with a presentation that includes material beyond what most of us understand from this thread and the briefings, then I'd also enjoy that as well, but it's not a big deal either way.  

I'd be very likely to attend if you get a place that's not too expensive (say $100 per person?).  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dlm1984:
If a lunch or dinner gets some traction we can leave it up to you guys whether you just want to have a meal or if there is interest I can turn it into a lecture on the state of firearms litigation and the Second Amendment.
I am one of the most knowledgeable people in the country regarding the history of the Second Amendment. I know that sounds like bragging but that just happens to be the case and I'd be happy to talk on the subject.  
We could not have gotten this lawsuit together if not for the people that donated to this case and the least I could do is impart some of what I know to you guys if there is interest.  

I might be able to attend with that sort of cost, given enough time to schedule a trip down to Philly.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 6:47:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:

If you guys do that, any chance at all you could record it for here? And again thank you all for what you are doing for Americans.....
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:

If you guys do that, any chance at all you could record it for here? And again thank you all for what you are doing for Americans.....

THIS
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:24:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Quickva:
If freedom is afforded to we low life gun lovers, can someone point me in the right direction on converting two AR lowers? I don't know what the parts list look like nor the mods needed.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Quickva:

If 922(o) or the NFA are struck down, you won't have any trouble finding that information readily available. For now, let's not worry about it.

Originally Posted By HistoricArmsLLC:
Third_Rail,

He essentially took a lever action and pointed the lever forward and let propellant gas from the burning powder "rack the lever" ....

That's the one, thank you. I knew it went on to be refined into the 1895 MG, but I couldn't remember all the details. Fascinating mind, to come up with that.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:28:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Cliff notes?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:50:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Third_Rail] [#36]
Originally Posted By JSmithXYY:
Cliff notes?
View Quote

SOON.™
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:12:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Sooooo..... anybody from NE Florida/SE Georgia wanna road trip to New Orleans in April?

I didn't need those vacation days anyway
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:21:19 PM EDT
[#38]

That part would be easy  
View All Quotes

That part would be easy  
Drill Press, standing by...

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:21:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By jm0502:

View All Quotes

DIAS everywhere!
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:22:33 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes
HI guys

I'm in!

Same here.  It'd be nice to drive to NOLA for a good cause for once.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:36:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:38:40 PM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:02:37 PM EDT
[#43]
I see that there are two avenues to donate to the cause.  A Go fund me and the Heller foundation.  Which is preferred?  I know Go fund me gets a cut.

BTW:  Awesome work!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:14:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By lsujim:

DIAS everywhere!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lsujim:

DIAS everywhere!

I'll go clean Lowes, Home Depot, and Amazon out of hacksaw blades.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:25:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Nolo,

Thanks for fighting for our rights. Your fight will be remembered as a win for freedom. I'll do everything I can to support you and your constituents. If you're ever in East Tennessee, a good meal and several boxes of ammo are on me.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:38:55 PM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:48:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:55:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Bloencustoms:

But if "not getting caught" means you don't have free use of the object, then it really isn't a workable plan.

If someone has to drive for 2 hours on a dirt road 30 miles from the nearest telephone pole in order to have enough privacy to play with their toys, those toys aren't really practical.

The only way a "civil disobedience" angle will ever work is if a state government publicly vows to defend it's citizens against the federal government and instructs it's citizens to proceed with tax free possession.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bloencustoms:
Originally Posted By MaxTheRabbit:
Originally Posted By endofdays:
serious question because there are tons of non legal sbrs in the wild from people not knowing the laws (i had to explain to someone why they should seperate their ar). how would the atf deal with massive non compliance? as if there were 10s of thousands of gun owners making sbrs, cans and maybe even happy swithces. not saying its a good idea and im sure theres plenty out there but i mean massive non compliance

nothing is illegal if you don't get caught

But if "not getting caught" means you don't have free use of the object, then it really isn't a workable plan.

If someone has to drive for 2 hours on a dirt road 30 miles from the nearest telephone pole in order to have enough privacy to play with their toys, those toys aren't really practical.

The only way a "civil disobedience" angle will ever work is if a state government publicly vows to defend it's citizens against the federal government and instructs it's citizens to proceed with tax free possession.

I'm not advocating breaking the law, but I would point out that none of this is about "having toys".   Look at all of the talk in threads about the EU that are speculating about the odd crew served stuck in an attic somewhere.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:56:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Lurked enough I just donated go NOLO
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:03:35 AM EDT
[#50]

That part would be easy  
View All Quotes

That part would be easy  

I will enthusiastically do my part.

Page / 224
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top