Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 10/30/2014 7:13:28 PM EDT

Whe was just qouted on the News saying "I don't want to die".

I knew that she'd change her mind.

Rational people don't want to do it. When she said she wanted to I bet you internally she was a bungled mess of emotions and issues.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:14:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Her choice either way.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:17:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Well shit.

Now I have to cancel the road trip
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:18:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Rational people don't want to do it. When she said she wanted to I bet you internally she was a bungled mess of emotions and issues.
View Quote

I wouldn't judge someone who has an irreversible disease that will inevitably end in her dying a slow, painful death as "irrational."
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:18:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Unless someone has depression, they don't want to die.  They will do everything in their power to live even if only for one more minute.  I'm reading a book about a sonderkommando in Auschwitz and it's a true testament to the survival spirit.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:19:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I wouldn't judge someone who has an irreversible disease that will inevitably end in her dying a slow, painful death as "irrational."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wise words.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:21:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Unless someone has depression, they don't want to die.  They will do everything in their power to live even if only for one more minute.  I'm reading a book about a sonderkommando in Auschwitz and it's a true testament to the survival spirit.
View Quote

Even depressed people don't want to die
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:23:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I can't judge her or blame her, there's nothing more precious than life.

I do wonder if all the magazines she interviewed for will ask for the money back.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:28:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bullshit. Sure there is always some sliver left but terminal patients are a whole other ball of wax. Much like military people feelings outsiders they don't get it if you have never dealt with terminal people you will never get it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:32:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Attention whore.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:33:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Attention whore.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:36:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Attention whore.

View Quote

Dare you to trade problems with her.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:43:06 PM EDT
[#13]
This is the woman who was paraded around on the news, FB, etc as wanting to, "die with dignity."  The unspoken and underlying message being that everyone else who chooses not to end their own life immediately upon terminal diagnosis is a chump with no dignity or self respect.  And that those who endure any suffering in order to have more time spent with loved ones before their death are beneath someone who chooses to "die with dignity."
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:49:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This is the woman who was paraded around on the news, FB, etc as wanting to, "die with dignity."  The unspoken and underlying message being that everyone else who chooses not to end their own life immediately upon terminal diagnosis is a chump with no dignity or self respect.  And that those who endure any suffering in order to have more time spent with loved ones before their death are beneath someone who chooses to "die with dignity."
View Quote

Nothing is harder than watching someone you love die a slow death from disease.  Ever heard the term "I am just glad that their pain is over."  It is not a cliché.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:52:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Is she getting better or...

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:07:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Nothing is harder than watching someone you love die a slow death from disease.  Ever heard the term "I am just glad that their pain is over."  It is not a cliché.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I watched my grandfather die slowly from lung cancer as a kid, and recently a close friend of my mother's died from brain cancer over the course of about 6 or 7 months.  I know what you're getting at; it just seems like the media is using her as a double entendre insult to the vast majority who don't have "dignity" because they choose differently than she did.  I'm not faulting or blaming her decision, but the over emphasis and focus on one person choosing physician assisted suicide by the media implies that everyone else has no dignity.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:15:53 PM EDT
[#17]
My MIL died of the same thing Brittany has, GBM. It's a gruesome death with a loss of cognitive function and a great deal of pain. Imagine an Alzheimer's patient being tortured - that's what her last weeks will be like if she doesn't check out early. I wouldn't put either myself or my family through that.

Robert Heinlein:

There's amnesia in a hang knot,
And comfort in the ax,
But the simple way of poison will make your nerves relax.

With an ugh! and a groan, and a kick of the heels,
Death comes quiet, or it comes with squeals—
But the pleasantest place to find your end
Is a cup of cheer from the hand of a friend.

There's refuge in the church lot
When you tire of facing facts,
And the smoothest route is poison prescribed by kindly quacks.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:13:24 PM EDT
[#18]
She set a date real early on, it is a horrible way to die, so taking a pill is not so bad.

but at some point she goes from being able to decide on her own when to die, and then not being able to make that decision due to her brain being destroyed by cancer.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:14:10 AM EDT
[#19]
It's strange, I was just thinking about her earlier today. I was thinking about how almost nobody knows what their last day will be, but she would knowingly be seeing her last sunset tonight. It turns out she didn't know either. Whatever she chooses, may she find peace and comfort.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:18:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I guarantee I could make you wish you were dead.

It's got nothing to do with rationality. Perhaps her condition hadn't deteriorated as far as anticipated by this time. Maybe she got a little more pain tolerant.

People should have the right to choose to die in a dignified manner and not blowing their brains out.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:21:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh, bull shit.

It's about being able to die in a sterile non-messy way. Not in a pool of your vomit cause you botched how many pills to take, or with your eyeballs bugged out as you hang from the rafters in your garage, because that's the choices most people have.

All because of do-gooders who want to fucking medal in other peoples' lives.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:23:27 AM EDT
[#22]
It would be awful to have to decide which way to die. I couldn't imagine the metal battle she must be going through plus dealing with loved ones and what they will have to deal with.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:25:06 AM EDT
[#23]
I thought it was silly to set an arbitrary date.  Just like a beloved pet wait till the quality of life goes to shit then make the call.  I bet right now she don't feel all that bad yet.

I have been sick enough that if I knew I wasn't ever going to get better I could have made such a call.  For those of the "brotherhood", think massive kidney stone that will never pass.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:26:21 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

It's got nothing to do with rationality. Perhaps her condition hadn't deteriorated as far as anticipated by this time. Maybe she got a little more pain tolerant.

People should have the right to choose to die in a dignified manner and not blowing their brains out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm against the idea because of slippery slope. The left was parading her around as a icon for suicide. My issue with all of this will be the left hijacking it and using it as a "death panel".

Oh, grandpa is getting annoying with his healthcare issues and old age. Just off him at the doc's office. That kid you had is going to have autism. Slip him this so he isn't a burden to society and you. He isn't going to have a full life anyways.

That is why I'm against it. I'm starting ti see how is it being handled in Europe and it is not good.

I know major medical issues... I had them as a child and I was in major pain. In and out of the hospital and operations until I was six. Doctors said the day I was born I wouldn't make it through he night. 30 years later I'm still here.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:26:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
She set a date real early on, it is a horrible way to die, so taking a pill is not so bad.

View Quote

That was her mistake. Cancer survival is sort of like weather forecasting - it's real imprecise and fuzzy until you get pretty close to the event.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:27:19 AM EDT
[#26]
In the articles I read yesterday, she stated that her quality of life is still good.  So, she's putting the date off.  She hasn't changed her mind about ending her life, she's just delaying it while her life is still worth living.  

Having watched a relative die a painful, undignified death from the same thing, I don't blame her one bit.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:27:31 AM EDT
[#27]
I am a spammer.  Shame on me.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:28:18 AM EDT
[#28]
She became a media darling who was showered with all sorts of praise and encouragement. It'll wear off and the reality of the disease will set in again. Terminal patients, for me, get to make whatever decisions on their care that they want. Sign your DNR/DNI forms, let your family know you don't want any more care, and get into a decent hospice facility to care for your final days.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:31:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm against the idea because of slippery slope. The left was parading her around as a icon for suicide. My issue with all of this will be the left hijacking it and using it as a "death panel".

Oh, grandpa is getting annoying with his healthcare issues and old age. Just off him at the doc's office. That kid you had is going to have autism. Slip him this so he isn't a burden to society and you. He isn't going to have a full life anyways.

That is why I'm against it. I'm starting ti see how is it being handled in Europe and it is not good.

I know major medical issues... I had them as a child and I was in major pain. In and out of the hospital and operations until I was six. Doctors said the day I was born I wouldn't make it through he night. 30 years later I'm still here.
View Quote

My understanding is that in Oregon the person requesting it must be diagnosed by more than one physician as being terminal, with less than six months to live.  Then, they have to formally request the drugs both in writing and in person at the doctors office.  THEN they have to wait 15 days, then formally request them again in person, and in writing.  So, no, you can't just take grandpa to the doctor's office and have him killed.

I'm not a fan of suicide, but I do think that those that have zero chance of survival and are facing a known terrible end should have options, within strict limitations like above.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#30]
She has said from the very beginning she didn't "want" to die but was rather choosing to die vs the alternative. Her repeating that does not mean she wont.

So.. did she change her mind or just repeating what she has been saying for the past month or so?

ETA: yes she is changing her mind

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/oct/30/brittany-maynard-terminally-ill-cancer-patient-ret/

“I still feel good enough and I still have enough joy and I still laugh and smile with my family and friends enough that it doesn’t seem like the right time right now,”

View Quote

Still gonna happen just not next week.

. Although she is now rethinking that decision, she knows she will still choose to die sometime in the near future.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:45:06 AM EDT
[#31]
She hasn't changed her mind...she's simply postponing it because she doesn't feel as bad as she expected she would be right now.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:48:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
In the articles I read yesterday, she stated that her quality of life is still good.  So, she's putting the date off.  She hasn't changed her mind about ending her life, she's just delaying it while her life is still worth living.  

Having watched a relative die a painful, undignified death from the same thing, I don't blame her one bit.
View Quote

Sounds perfectly reasonable.

Still very sad.

She is just trying to squeeze what little bit of quality of life she has out of her situation.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:50:17 AM EDT
[#33]
It's like having to put a pet down.  You don't want to, but when the time comes and is upon you, all you wish for is for the pain to be over with.

When she gets there, she will know it's time.  At least she has the right to do it at all.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:56:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Oh, bull shit.

It's about being able to die in a sterile non-messy way. Not in a pool of your vomit cause you botched how many pills to take, or with your eyeballs bugged out as you hang from the rafters in your garage, because that's the choices most people have.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, bull shit.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:04:08 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
My understanding is that in Oregon the person requesting it must be diagnosed by more than one physician as being terminal, with less than six months to live.  Then, they have to formally request the drugs both in writing and in person at the doctors office.  THEN they have to wait 15 days, then formally request them again in person, and in writing.  So, no, you can't just take grandpa to the doctor's office and have him killed.

I'm not a fan of suicide, but I do think that those that have zero chance of survival and are facing a known terrible end should have options, within strict limitations like above.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Europe was like that too and then it went down hill. The laws were softened and change due to arguments such as "I'm too poor to afford multiple doctors. I'm so and so's legal representive and he/she wanted this. Etc.."

It will happen here too.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:06:23 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Attention whore.

Talk about a pointless challenge.  Anyone who would disparage a human being facing death by cancer has no honor.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:07:35 AM EDT
[#37]
I find it impossible to criticize her.  I don't know how I would handle being in a similar situation.  She has nothing but my sympathy.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:09:07 AM EDT
[#38]
She can do what she pleases, can't imagine what it's like for her.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:09:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Europe was like that too and then it went down hill. The laws were softened and change due to arguments such as "I'm too poor to afford multiple doctors. I'm so and so's legal representive and he/she wanted this. Etc.."

It will happen here too.
View Quote

If somebody executes an AMD while he has complete mental capacity, and empowers somebody therein to make that call - then I'm not seeing the problem.

As far as the "I'm too poor" argument - yeah, well, drastic medical treatment is expensive. People with more money have bigger houses, nicer cars, more exotic vacations, better food, and so on, too.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:11:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote
My step brother had to chose betweem bone cancer or kidney failure for his imminent death. He chose to go off dialysis.  He was in good spirits fas he alwayswas but literally prayed for death in the last week. He didn't want another minute of pain.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:14:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I find it impossible to criticize her.  I don't know how I would handle being in a similar situation.  She has nothing but my sympathy.

View Quote

Well said.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:14:55 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Attention whore.

I wish he could.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:31:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Attention whore.

View Quote

Well aren't you special.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:51:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It will happen here too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will happen here too.

That is just great reasoning. Punish terminally ill people because the government will most likely screw us over down the line.

How about this. I would bet every penny I had that most if not all guns will be outlawed. Maybe we should stop fighting for our rights since the gov is going to screw us.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:00:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Of course, people who care more about the politics of it than they do about her will spin these updates however they wish.

She hasn't deteriorated as quickly as expected, so since she doesn't feel terrible yet she is postponing.  Big deal, glad for her.

I would trade places with her for anything...that is a suck ass way to go, and if she wants to bow out before the pain makes her last days unbearable, she has my total support.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:29:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Is she getting better or...

View Quote

No.  She is getting worse.  
From what i heard on the radio she is in pain almost constantly now.  Still has all her mental facilities but that won't last.
I feel sorry for the poor girl.  And her family.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:55:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Omg wait its already the first of nov?  Fuck that im changing my mind.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:55:35 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

My MIL died of the same thing Brittany has, GBM. It's a gruesome death with a loss of cognitive function and a great deal of pain. Imagine an Alzheimer's patient being tortured - that's what her last weeks will be like if she doesn't check out early. I wouldn't put either myself or my family through that.

Robert Heinlein:

There's amnesia in a hang knot,

And comfort in the ax,

But the simple way of poison will make your nerves relax.

There's refuge in the church lot

When you tire of facing facts,

And the smoothest route is poison prescribed by kindly quacks.

View Quote
Nice....never read that one , yet . Heinlein does indeed have his moments .

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:00:05 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed , whole-heatedly .

In the end , it is YOUR body to do with as you please . {insert 87 disclaimers here to do with other people's rights} Sometimes the quality of life isn't worth the pain for the 'struggled' quantity.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top