Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've read this 4 times and still don't understand what you're trying to say
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably this, and definately the most satisfying: It was when I accidently rolled an IBM mainframe assembly
controller on a pallet jack the size of a Sub Zero refrigerator (Imagine late 1970s replacement cost and lead time to order) off of an Alphabet’s loading dock.
I was delivering it and had been waiting for over an hour for an asshole GS-My Shit Don’t Stink to show after being paged for his signature.

I can still imagine to this day with absolute glee, how it probably made his year to date reporting for that following quarter such a wonderful experience.

He dumped the CIA's I/O controller off a loading dock because a General Schedule employee wouldn't sign his clipboard.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:53:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I dropped a wrench down this really expensive thing at it took a really long time to get it out. When we got it out the boss fired me, so I dropped the wrench back down the really expensive thing.
View Quote

So YOU are the mythical wrench down the drill pipe guy.....

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:53:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

He dumped the CIA's I/O controller off a loading dock because a General Schedule employee wouldn't sign his clipboard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably this, and definately the most satisfying: It was when I accidently rolled an IBM mainframe assembly
controller on a pallet jack the size of a Sub Zero refrigerator (Imagine late 1970s replacement cost and lead time to order) off of an Alphabet’s loading dock.
I was delivering it and had been waiting for over an hour for an asshole GS-My Shit Don’t Stink to show after being paged for his signature.

I can still imagine to this day with absolute glee, how it probably made his year to date reporting for that following quarter such a wonderful experience.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:58:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
crashing a man-lift into the side of a c-130. ~$50,000 damage
View Quote

Was this in WRAFB?  I've seen reports from that happening a few times
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:59:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
In front of a lot of people, argued with a high paid outside consultant that was favored by many in management.  Wasn't fired but it was a career killer that had me at a new job soon thereafter. Sometimes being correct isn't enough, you also have to keep your mouth shut.
View Quote

Words of wisdom to live by.  

No big mistakes on my part, mostly screw-ups on other people's part that I got picked to be the scapegoat, often when I had no idea something occurred.  

Reading some you guys' mistakes, makes me feel a lot better about many of mine!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:05:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

I spent way too much time doing government work. Sadly I knew exactly what he meant the first time I read it
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:06:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Saw the guy with the RPG ac second too late.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Built an entire set of kitchen cabinets backwards.  I have a customer that builds about 10 houses a year and only builds about 4 different floor plans.  His framer is very consistent and you can just check his measurements, print the stock shop drawings and build the kitchen.  I field measured the job, printed the drawings and sent them to the shop.  I printed the wrong handed set of drawings!  Most of the cabinets could be used with some new end panels but the countertop was junk.  It's my company so I got by without getting fired.  

I've also transposed numbers and ordered a couple of sets of countertop slabs the wrong color.  Life's hard when you're stupid.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:09:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think my most memorable was tripping on a floor tile and breaking off the fiber on a oc-48

View Quote

Shut down most of a small east Texas county's phones upgrading a DMS 500.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:10:55 PM EDT
[#10]

I once gave a big stack of NOFORN message traffic to the Brits.

We discovered the mistake when they knocked on our door and said "Erm, I don't believe we should have this."

Oops.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:12:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I thought I'd top the list with shitting where I ate... But damn sons..
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:13:01 PM EDT
[#12]
This thread would be much more entertaining if people would actually write in plaintext. Not everyone here is in exactly the same profession, and we don't recognize the alphabet soup of acronyms. This also means you, computer people.

There are maybe a few hundred or thousand people on this site of well over 100k members that would know what I meant by writing "SP&D. Local wheal 1% lido. 17t to L4-5 via LORTS, cath EZ thread 5cm in, 10cm skin. Att X1. Asp -heme -CSF. TD 3ml 1.5%lido/1:200k epi -. Bup 0.125% <8ml>. PCEA 'standard mix' 2/20/10."

So please, treat me like the idiot I am, and assume I know nothing about your job.

The line of jargon I wrote, btw, is a typical procedure note for placing a labor epidural.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:13:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I once gave a big stack of NOFORN message traffic to the Brits.

We discovered the mistake when they knocked on our door and said "Erm, I don't believe we should have this."

Oops.

View Quote

One time I searched for NOFORN on CENTRIXS... very quickly forgot I did that
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:16:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Transmission cooler hose clamp didn't make it back on. Thermal event occured, customer got a new ride. Estimate to repair with no labor was over 20k.
View Quote

Will you share?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:19:02 PM EDT
[#15]
A fun one the prosecutor made in a case where I was the defense attorney.  We finally had a plea date and I asked the prosecutor to glance at her file one more time.  I did.  I told her my client was pleading not guilty.  She flipped out, thought she had an open and shut case (it was a theft).  There was only one witness to the alleged crime and she left a note in the file that the witness was dying of cancer in Texas.  She blew it when I told her what I knew.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:19:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I work at a BMW dealership. I once ordered six cylinder heads instead of six exhaust studs. They were only $3800 a head
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:19:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Missed an abdominal aortic aneurysm on my partner's 34 year old husband
He died
View Quote

I'm very sorry to hear that. At age 34, though, a fatal AAA isn't a horse or even a zebra. Those are hoofbeats from a unicorn, and it's almost sheer luck to catch it in time.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:21:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Engrish
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:24:15 PM EDT
[#19]
When I first started working, I did real estate acquisitions for a pension fund advisor. The first deal I did was a large office building in Miami.  When I was doing the due diligence, the broker told me that all of the common areas had been renovated.  When I did the property tour, we went to 10 or so floors or so and they all looked very nice.  We closed on the deal.

About a week after closing, our largest tenant started asking when the common areas in its floors would be finished as it had a renewal coming up and the prior owner promised it to them.  The broker took me to the floors that had been renovated and didn't show me the rest.  We had to renovate the rest on our dime.  All said and done it was in the hundreds of thousands .  The pensioners in the great state of Ohio ate that one.  Sorry about that.

I didn't get fired and the building has actually turned out to be an extreme outperformer so it is all good.

Now I visit every floor and walk in every space when I'm buying a building. I have also added a section to my tenant estoppels that asks if current management has promised any renovations.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:26:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This thread would be much more entertaining if people would actually write in plaintext. Not everyone here is in exactly the same profession, and we don't recognize the alphabet soup of acronyms. This also means you, computer people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've been treading water in the power plant thread lately.

There are maybe a few hundred or thousand people on this site of well over 100k members that would know what I meant by writing "SP&D. Local wheal 1% lido. 17t to L4-5 via LORTS, cath EZ thread 5cm in, 10cm skin. Att X1. Asp -heme -CSF. TD 3ml 1.5%lido/1:200k epi -. Bup 0.125% <8ml>. PCEA 'standard mix' 2/20/10."

You injected a 1% preparation of lidocaine. Numbs the area.

Dunno what 17t is but L4-5 is probably referring to the space between the L4 and L5 vertebrae. Something going into the spine is probably going to be a pain blocker.

Test dose 3ml 1.5% lidocaine / 1:200000 ratio epinephrine. Bup is probably Buphenyl

Patient controlled analgesia, I'm guessing 2/20/10 is some ratio of non-narcotic and narcotic pain relievers. PCEA gives them a button they can only hit so often, right?

So please, treat me like the idiot I am, and assume I know nothing about your job.

The line of jargon I wrote, btw, is a typical procedure note for placing a labor epidural.

I'm about as far from a medical professional as you can get (although I did take a wilderness first responder course a few years back) but I'm a techie and a nerd and when I see terms I don't recognize I go off to do enough research to get a vague understanding what people are talking about.

I'm probably way off what's actually happening, but I'm probably at least in the same zip code right?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:37:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Back about 20 years ago, when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, during a dog and pony show, I dicked up some settings on a servo system driving a $10k slide with 28 lbs of expensive tooling traveling at ludicrous speed and destroyed EVERYTHING... In front of the customer.... It was a pretty awful day.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:38:42 PM EDT
[#22]
was phasing a 14.4kva feeder coming out of a substation in corpus about 7years ago, wind picked up and I cross phased the line blowing the breaker to the transmission transformer knocking power out to a little over half of corpus for about 5 hours at 3pm on a Friday

all of downtown was out
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:39:06 PM EDT
[#23]
All IT related.  I have pulled the plugs on the wrong server, stuff like that.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:40:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Back about 20 years ago, when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, during a dog and pony show, I dicked up some settings on a servo system driving a $10k slide with 28 lbs of expensive tooling traveling at ludicrous speed and destroyed EVERYTHING... In front of the customer.... It was a pretty awful day.  
View Quote

What was it supposed to do?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:40:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Got a woman's car towed and kept over the weekend by mistake.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:42:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Got accused of banging a 21 year old while on the clock(wouldn't have been too bad if it actually happened)
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:45:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong side of the river

He signed when he finally showed up ninety minutes after my page (onus to note visible damage was on him, there was none, palletized brand new cabinet in a strapped together OEM carton)

Accident occurred partially due to a righteous GS-5 distracting me when telling me what a dickhead the guy was while we were waiting, and, felt bad enough about it to help me roll it over off its back in the truck well and back up onto the dock.

No malice involved, I just figure the stars aligned that day

But yeah you about covered it
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:46:33 PM EDT
[#28]
This guy made a mistake..

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:48:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Will you share?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Transmission cooler hose clamp didn't make it back on. Thermal event occured, customer got a new ride. Estimate to repair with no labor was over 20k.

Will you share?

Only saw the aftermath. Insurance inspector couldn't have found the source of ignition with gps.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:58:33 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Let's just say the guys that run a large university HPC center don't take kindly to someone submitting 200K jobs that all read from the same NFS.

But we all do stupid things when we're newbs.

Then there was the guy that I work with that submitted 40k jobs and forgot to comment out the line to send him emails when they finish. Crashed a national lab email server. Apparently there was only one...he hasn't lived that one down.
View Quote

Damn.  I thought you were going to say you blew up CERN or something.  

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:04:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Killed a client's cat by giving it too much anesthetic
View Quote

That sucks.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:05:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Dunno what 17t is but L4-5 is probably referring to the space between the L4 and L5 vertebrae. Something going into the spine is probably going to be a pain blocker.

Test dose 3ml 1.5% lidocaine / 1:200000 ratio epinephrine. Bup is probably Buphenyl

Patient controlled analgesia, I'm guessing 2/20/10 is some ratio of non-narcotic and narcotic pain relievers. PCEA gives them a button they can only hit so often, right?

I'm about as far from a medical professional as you can get (although I did take a wilderness first responder course a few years back) but I'm a techie and a nerd and when I see terms I don't recognize I go off to do enough research to get a vague understanding what people are talking about.

I'm probably way off what's actually happening, but I'm probably at least in the same zip code right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a pretty good deduction.
Sterile prep & drape. Local injection of 1% lidocaine. 17 gauge Tuohy needle between lumbar 4 & 5, epidural space located with a "loss of resistance to saline" technique. Catheter easily advanced 5cm into epidural space, with 10cm mark on catheter at skin entry site. 1 attempt. Aspiration on catheter negative for blood or cerebrospinal fluid. Test dose of 3ml 1.5% lidocaine with 1:200,000 epinephrine negative. Bupivacaine 0.125% injected in incremental doses to total 8ml. "Standard mix" is whatever the current hospital's epidural solution is. PCEA is patient-controlled epidural analgesia - the button causes a squirt of medication through the catheter. 2/20/10 is shorthand for 2ml demand bolus (per button push), 20 minute lockout interval (pump won't administer more often than every 20 minutes no matter how often button pushed), and 10ml/hr continuous "basal rate" infusion.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:05:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Well. There was an aggressive dog loose in the neighbood. I only found out as a neighbor passing told me. I took my kid inside and grabbed my AR and took up a defensive position. Sue enough, the evil one comes by and I took a few shots at it. It was ducking and diving and all rabid like. I know I was close as I saw sparks coming off the pavement. Pretty sure the dog pissed running away from my show of force. Called the cops for backup. They took me downtown for some pics - probably for the commendation award I'm sure I'll be getting.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:09:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Sterile prep & drape. Local injection of 1% lidocaine. 17 gauge Tuohy needle between lumbar 4 & 5, epidural space located with a "loss of resistance to saline" technique. Catheter easily advanced 5cm into epidural space, with 10cm mark on catheter at skin entry site. 1 attempt. Aspiration on catheter negative for blood or cerebrospinal fluid. Test dose of 3ml 1.5% lidocaine with 1:200,000 epinephrine negative. Bupivacaine 0.125% injected in incremental doses to total 8ml. "Standard mix" is whatever the current hospital's epidural solution is. PCEA is patient-controlled epidural analgesia - the button causes a squirt of medication through the catheter. 2/20/10 is shorthand for 2ml demand bolus (per button push), 20 minute lockout interval (pump won't administer more often than every 20 minutes no matter how often button pushed), and 10ml/hr continuous "basal rate" infusion.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So I'm ready to work in the hospital?

Really though, I want to pursue the Wilderness EMT tract.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:11:41 PM EDT
[#35]
not me but a engineer that worked for our company was staking out a new powerline to be built that happened to cross a high pressure gas line, he marked the gas line with a stake. Digger comes threw a few days later punching holes and never gets off to read the labels, sets up over it and digs right into a high pressure line, blew a fire ball half a mile into the air
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:16:01 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Well. There was an aggressive dog loose in the neighbood. I only found out as a neighbor passing told me. I took my kid inside and grabbed my AR and took up a defensive position. Sue enough, the evil one comes by and I took a few shots at it. It was ducking and diving and all rabid like. I know I was close as I saw sparks coming off the pavement. Pretty sure the dog pissed running away from my show of force. Called the cops for backup. They took me downtown for some pics - probably for the commendation award I'm sure I'll be getting.
View Quote

How is that a mistake at work?  Are you a dogcatcher?

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:53:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Work from home.
And it's a joke from another thread...

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:59:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:09:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Shut down a steam turbine generator at a power plant on accident.

I was a young co-op student working with one of the guys at the plant removing old wires from the cable trays. They were in the process of doing a controls upgrade at the plant and the old control wires had to go. One of the wires was still connected at the old control panel and when we cut the wire it shorted and shut down the generator.

The operators went crazy trying to find out the issue until we made it back to tell them we think we did it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:14:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Watched some Engineers at a well known ATV mfg show off their new SXS.  They had not tested the new drivetrain that used the same front and rear gearboxes.  They had all the bigshots there and tried to drive the chassis off the test stand with the front and back wheels turning oposite directions

I was tuning  a PID loop on a servo slide that put the machine into ever increasing violent oscilations untilit flipped over.....

Built a fixture for a HUGE CNC lathe (About 40 inch swing IIRC).   Counterweighted and everything. Notes on the program, G50 at 250 RPM, Locked control.  ight guys Unlocked and spun her up to 800 to "get a better finish"  Out of balance condition tore the machine loose from the floor and shifted it 3 ft.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:25:45 AM EDT
[#41]
I arrested a guy, and booked him into county even though I didn't have any arrest authority.  

In my defense, the guy had been sentenced to jail, wanted to start his sentence, but the jail wouldn't take him in without a court order (or an arresting officer) and this was the third time he had shown up to turn himself in.  I got frustrated and thought "fuck it," so I cuffed him, and patted him down in the lobby of the jail, and booked him in.  I got my ass chewed out for awhile by the county prosecutor Monday morning before he realized I wasn't out running around making probable cause arrests in my Honda.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:28:24 AM EDT
[#42]
banged a current coworker who i had (found out after the fact) arrested in my previous career.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:46:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Got bored and started tying knots in a rope hanging off of a roof ladder.
Sheep shank, Bowline, etc. trying to remember my knots from yonder years killing time.
The urge hit me and I worked out a sloppy noose, and just as I finished, I got called away.

Some folks didn't find humor in the knot, and ran to the media making some REALLY inflated claims.
The boss was NOT happy about one of his knuckle heads making page 3 of USA today, because of boredom.
Yes, the Offended sued.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:46:59 AM EDT
[#44]
While deployed to UAE, we had a meeting area on the flight line underneath one of the guard towers where we waited for the posting bus. At the end of shift we would all kick back there and joke around while we waited for the bus. I get involved in the joking and fun, get on the bus, bus arrives at the squadron, I reach for my M4..... Uh oh.
I saw my two stripes disappear off my sleeves and decided the gig was up and told my Flight Chief. His words- "I have bigger issues to deal with, take my truck and get it." I drove back, got my rifle, and not another word was said.
Turns out another guy tried to poison a girl by pouring brake cleaner in her drink bottle at the same time that I pulled the most idiotic move of my career. Disaster averted, stripes saved.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:06:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Mine don't seem so bad after reading all of yours....

While working for an airline had to take a road trip to an airport in Nebraska during a blizzard.  Had to replace a windshield outside during said blizzard.  Started to hurry too much and cracked the new one.  $40k mistake, but also bad because this airline had just declared bankruptcy.  

2nd:

Not heeding the phrase:

Never

Again

Volunteer

Yourself
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:08:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Not leaving.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:27:54 AM EDT
[#47]
I was riding along with a container ship to do some work at sea, and didn't have very good sea legs yet. I tripped on a floor plate in the engine control room and slammed into a breaker panel. I missed one of the main generator breakers by a few inches, and got some good laughs from the engineers on duty.

One of the same ships, I was riding again up to Alaska. It was back before I quit smoking. I went out late at night to have a smoke, and was walking out on the bridge deck level. I was walking towards the railings and tripped (seems to be a trend) on a small welded plate, sending me stumbling towards an open section of railing guarded only by a couple of chains. If I had gone over, nobody would've even known that I wasn't there until the morning.

Not my oops, but a bored night engineer on one ship I was on screwed with something on the steam turbine generator, and sent the turbine up to two or three times its rated pressure/RPM. The turbine case grenaded and the turbine blades were scattered throughout the engine room, taking out steam, water, and electrical lines all over the immediate area. Day long port stay turned into over a week for repairs, the ship was so old that they had to look far and wide to find a complete turbine generator of the same type..

Back when I was doing odd jobs out of high school including PC repair, I cleaned up a PC for someone that my dad knew. Typical stuff - running slow, spyware, Recycle Bin was huge, etc. Got a call a few days later from him, screaming into the phone that his files were gone. Had no idea what the fuck he was talking about. Turned out that couple of GB of files in the Recycle Bin were his "files." I thought this was a joke that only happened to other people on the internet, but it happened to me. I basically had to tell him that he was SOL, that "undelete" utilities were mostly unreliable and not worth the time or cost, and apologized profusely, but that was about the last time I ever did home PC repair for any one. To this day I absolutely refuse to work on PCs of anyone other than immediate family.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:28:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Was this in Katy TX if so I was there not far from it.
Quoted:
not me but a engineer that worked for our company was staking out a new powerline to be built that happened to cross a high pressure gas line, he marked the gas line with a stake. Digger comes threw a few days later punching holes and never gets off to read the labels, sets up over it and digs right into a high pressure line, blew a fire ball half a mile into the air
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:05:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Brought the wrong due diligence report I had prepared (took me almost a fucking month) to the buy/sell conference.

I left the one I should have brought in Michigan.................I was somewhere in bumfuck USA.........can't remember the State.

Had to overnight it.  (This was before the computer age.)

Bought everyone at the conference lunch and beers.

Of course, they laughed their asses off before and after getting inebriated.

Got back to Michigan about a week later and, of course, the boss made fun of me for about a fucking month.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:06:57 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I think you will win this one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thought I could land an F4 that was on fire.  

I think you will win this one.

Yep.  I was going post something bad, but there's really no point now...

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top