Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:34:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I work in a prepress in a printing plant. Early in my career I made about 120 plates wrong for a big job, that took several shifts (back in the stripping days) to complete. Really fucked up good on that, cost us many thousands a lot of man hours.

Thank God I had a lenient boss...never repeated that mistake.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:35:22 PM EDT
[#2]
$3 Mil in Flight cancelations for an airline....

I can't control the weather in Chicago (ORD) but I still got the blame for it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:37:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Has anyone ever taken a step back and admitted that Chicago is a really bad place for a major hub?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:38:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I sent out a load of hazordous material with no paperwork. They blamed it on the higher ups not scheduling the loads properly.
View Quote

And the driver took the load what a dumbass
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:39:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Has anyone ever taken a step back and admitted that Chicago is a really bad place for anything a major hub?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Has anyone ever taken a step back and admitted that Chicago is a really bad place for anything a major hub?

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:40:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yeah nobody knows what you're talking about  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Getting Hired?

you win probably

I once buried a d9L up to the final drive but wasn't really my fault was a squishy void underneath

I do without looking it up.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:40:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Not mine but one that I have often wondered about...

Work with a guy in his 50s, nice guy but didn't have a lick of common sense. He told me that he use to work for an OTR trucking company. The company sent him thru truck driving school, then he was to work for the company and each pay check they would deduct an amount till the cost of schooling was taken care of.

The guy said he completed the schooling, then on the very first trip actually working for the OTR company he racked up so many fines/points that his CDL was pulled. The trucking company was suing him to get the cost of schooling back.

I never asked what he did wrong, and I wish I had, because there has to be a great story behind getting your license pulled on your very first trip.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:41:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Trashed the primary domain controller (NT 3.51). Promoted the BDC and all was well, but I had fun getting the PDC back up ASAP as the BDC was an old 486 and not the most stable of things.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My thoughts exactly. the plates for that place are terrible. and Midway isn't any better.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:42:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Getting Hired?

you win probably

I once buried a d9L up to the final drive but wasn't really my fault was a squishy void underneath

D9 is big heavy fucking dozer

Burying one up to the final drive is not how you make friends or impress bosses.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:45:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I cost the company over 50k because I used the wrong template for a design.

Made for a long sleepless weekend waiting for that Monday morning meeting.

My boss was cool with it after I determined the cause of the error, admitted it was my mistake, and instituted protocols to prevent it from happening again.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Two shipments. One is a normal shipment to MX. Other is some sensitive test equipment, packed in crates and filled with foam, going to HK.  I mixed up the labels and the MX company uncreated the entire shipment.  $22k in transportation, re packing and calibration charges later it was fixed.  Took about a month to un-fuck what I fucked up in 30 seconds.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Burying one up to the final drive is not how you make friends or impress bosses.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Getting Hired?

you win probably

You really want to have fun, drop one through the ice at a honey bucket dump pond in a remote Alaska fishing village. Fully submerged and the operator has never lived it down, they made him ride in the bace of a truck, in december.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:48:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Replacing a lock on a safe. closed the door without the new lock installed and triggered the relocker.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:49:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Getting Hired?

you win probably

Excavator went over same spot twice , I made it the first time return trip glub

Not actual pic but imagine the one on the left burred to the fender

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:52:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

You really want to have fun, drop one through the ice at a honey bucket dump pond in a remote Alaska fishing village. Fully submerged and the operator has never lived it down, they made him ride in the bace of a truck, in december.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Did they recover the D9 or leave it?

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:56:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Practically cutting my trigger finger off @ knuckle

resulting in 5 months workmans comp
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:57:18 PM EDT
[#18]
what piece of equipment did that to the finger
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:59:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I wouldn't admit it in an open forum.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:06:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I started at an internet company in 1997. We had a web-app that supported a foster care agency.

It was based on MS Sql Server 6.5. Back then, you had to really dig to find out if a table had any triggers on it.

I got a call, saying that a therapist employed by the foster care agency had been released from contract, and they asked me to delete the therapist from the system.

I did, thinking that was the end of it. Way fucking wrong.

The system had dozens of triggers built in, and so my delete cascaded, and within a few minutes, the entire agency had disappeared. Ho-ree FUK!

Luckily, we had a backup from just 20 minutes before my delete, and in 10 minutes the agency was back, as if nothing had happened.

Another time, something caught fire. But that's another story.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:17:00 PM EDT
[#21]
I was an industrial maintenance technician at a pizza dough plant.  I was working on the flour sifters which filter all the incoming flour into the plant.  Considering it was Saturday, I wanted to leave when my shift ended so I could go get drunk.  The plant doesn't run on the weekend so I decided to finish the project the next day(Sunday) I had the machine half disassembled when I left and I had locked out the motors I was working on.

When I came back the next day I was informed that 12,000 lbs of flour had escaped on to the floor of the plant.  It turns out one of the new techs had accidentally activated the control which calls for flour into the big mixing vats.  Since I had the sifter disassembled, it ran all night since it doesn't shut off until the mixing bowl is full of flour by weight.  I hadn't locked out the motor which blows the flour into the plant, even though I had locked out the motors I was working on.

I was fired, the new tech was not.

It was a blessing in disguise, because that job sucked and it allowed me to start my business.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:19:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I work in a pharma lab, testing to see how much of a client's drug is in their samples as part of them trying to get it approved.

One night, I left half a liter of study matrix out overnight. Now, that's only about $700 worth of blood serum, but we also have to screen lots, pool it, and do a bunch of work to get it approved by the client. Couldn't guess at the price it would cost to replace, but it'd be a lot.

The very next night, I left out a box of samples. If I'd taken them out of cryo a few hours earlier, they would have burned through their room temp stability and blown thousands of dollars and about 80 data points, but as it was we had *just* enough time left to run them. That also cost me a day of productivity to update the freeze/thaw records

Not mine, but a coworker was asked to coat plates for most of our group to run the next day. For those who don't pipette for a living, ELISA basically relies on an antibody specific to the compound in question being bound to a plastic microtiter plate. To do this, you mix the antibody with a coating buffer and let it sit in the plates for a few hours to a few days. Dude forgot to put the antibody in the mix and a couple dozen plates had zero response.

That mistake cost pretty close to $100,000.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:22:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
crashing a man-lift into the side of a c-130. ~$50,000 damage
View Quote

Watched a kid back a service truck into the engine cowl of a Gulfstream 5. Those cowls are made of a weird honeycomb/carbon material...and no longer manufactured.  That was an expensive fix, nevermind what a total pain in the balls it was just to FIND the part (which was of course on the opposite sideof the globe).
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:23:30 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Missed including the quote for a $250k lighting package in a bid.

Needless to say, we had the low bid.

View Quote
I hate separate lines for lighting packages. That is exactly the item that I may or may not have left out once. Not quite 250k, but not too far off.

Enough to win the job though.

That and once I looked at the as-built drawings for the location of the electrical. They said the feeders for the A/C were in the ceiling, but I didn't actually check for them. I had the saw cutting guys cut right through one leg of the three phase line. Luckily it was only one leg and it was the ground level slab, so the electricity went straight to ground and no one was hurt.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:26:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

A36 is not the same as A572-50.
View Quote

The best time to find this out is when the ASME inspector is standing over your pressurized and holding vessel wondering why your welders didn't stop at the hold point.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:31:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I sent out a load of hazordous material with no paperwork. They blamed it on the higher ups not scheduling the loads properly.
View Quote

I sent 5 trucks carrying 14ft wide, 80,000lb pump packages to houston from the east coast to be packaged for shipment to Peru without customer approval.  Customer was supposed to arrange freight from our plant to houston then from port to Peru.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:44:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I was in consumer finance.  First office as manager, where i cut my teeth, 1 year into the company out of school.  We could not close out a Line of Credit as it was a 2nd Mortgage Eguity line,  w/o a letter requesting it closem because, people pay them up and down, especially contractors that use them. So apparently we took a payment but idn't close it, but it was a payoff check, that had the endorse/release info on it that went unnoticed.  I transferred, and another employee over the course of 6months or more gave draws on it, with copies of the check in the file, with the language, that you would have to open to process.(there were notes discussing need to close in the computer notes as well) - an employee foolishly let him run it up, and should have known better had she paid any type of attention, and co lost like $20,000 charge off. ...was 2006-2007sh - grow grow grow period.  Oops.  I should have caught that and closed the LOC.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:52:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Agreeing to do a job with a cheap harbor freight torque wrench. That cost the company about $35,000. I wasn't on the hook really as I had my concerns and voiced it but it was overridden.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:58:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Did a headgasket.  Ended up losing a hose clamp.  Found it when i pulled the head back off.  Was a $6k head, a piston and a rod along with four valves and miscellaneous consumables.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:59:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Shortened a (at the time new) mid 90s 7 Series BMW about 3 feet and the toyota pickup I was driving.

Company truck, both truck and BMW were totaled. Not 100% my fault, I was cut off in a turn lane and went into a lane with a longer line of cars and couldn't stop in time.

Nobody hurt (thank God) and kept my job.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:07:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Getting Hired?

you win probably

I put a Cat143h unto its side after a shoulder collapsed
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:18:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Probably this, and definately the most satisfying: It was when I accidently rolled an IBM mainframe assembly
controller on a pallet jack the size of a Sub Zero refrigerator (Imagine late 1970s replacement cost and lead time to order) off of an Alphabet’s loading dock.
I was delivering it and had been waiting for over an hour for an asshole GS-My Shit Don’t Stink to show after being paged for his signature.

I can still imagine to this day with absolute glee, how it probably made his year to date reporting for that following quarter such a wonderful experience.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:28:04 PM EDT
[#33]
I scrammed the reactor...
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:28:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:29:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I may or may not have caused 250 computers at a law firm to reboot in the middle of the day.  14 years ago.
View Quote

Bet that went over well.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:30:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I scrammed the reactor...
View Quote

Should it have not been scrammed?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:30:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Are we talking actual mistakes/fuckups, or general work shenanigans? Because I have both.

There was that time when I was kind of drunk with the handgun and the stack of paper towels in the kitchen... It was really just a big misunderstanding.

Also, I once cut all of the rafter angles backwards. Lots of them.

Ever seen what happens when you throw a handful of ground cayenne pepper in a box fan at the office? It's terrible.

And never, ever freeze a can of shaving cream. If you do it anyway, make sure you don't cut it open and put blocks of frozen shaving cream in anyone's desk drawer.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:31:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Bet that went over well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I may or may not have caused 250 computers at a law firm to reboot in the middle of the day.  14 years ago.

Bet that went over well.

Well, lawyers can't use computers, so they probably didn't notice

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:33:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Let's just say the guys that run a large university HPC center don't take kindly to someone submitting 200K jobs that all read from the same NFS.

But we all do stupid things when we're newbs.

Then there was the guy that I work with that submitted 40k jobs and forgot to comment out the line to send him emails when they finish. Crashed a national lab email server. Apparently there was only one...he hasn't lived that one down.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:34:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Transmission cooler hose clamp didn't make it back on. Thermal event occured, customer got a new ride. Estimate to repair with no labor was over 20k.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:34:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Dumped a tractor off the edge of a ravine, I wound up underneath it at the bottom.  A transfusion and 160 stitches later, that was a fuckup I was lucky to make it out of alive.

ETA I wish I had a better picture, that one was taken about a week and a half after the accident. The right side of my head was pretty fucked up.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:35:47 PM EDT
[#42]
had a wheel off that wasn't 100% my fault.

waiting for brake pads, parts were supposed to be there first thing in the morning, I popped wheels on finger tight with just one bolt, because shop foreman said no wheels on ground at end of day if possible, due to tripping hazard.

wheels went on finger tight. I came in the next morning car was gone.. I ran to the front desk to see where it went as the call came in "yeah, I picked the passat a minuet ago and my tire just passed me down the highway" service advisor let it leave without asking.

crap GM was cool about it I had to pay for repairs out of pocket but oh well, at least no one got hurt. it was a big mistake but it wasn't that expensive.

I fucked up some other stuff since, and some was way more expensive, but that one I felt worst about.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:40:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Probably this, and definately the most satisfying: It was when I accidently rolled an IBM mainframe assembly
controller on a pallet jack the size of a Sub Zero refrigerator (Imagine late 1970s replacement cost and lead time to order) off of an Alphabet’s loading dock.
I was delivering it and had been waiting for over an hour for an asshole GS-My Shit Don’t Stink to show after being paged for his signature.

I can still imagine to this day with absolute glee, how it probably made his year to date reporting for that following quarter such a wonderful experience.
View Quote

I've read this 4 times and still don't understand what you're trying to say
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:43:56 PM EDT
[#44]
About 12 years ago I put in a basement/foundation about 18" low. the top of the basement wound up being bellow grade in one spot. I'd never done it before, asked the company owner how to determine height. He said make the basement 2' above the curb at the road. He did not say, the high point of the curb. I met the foundation contractor at the job site, pointed at the curb and said make it 2' higher then this. Amazingly I kept my job, though I never lived it down. A lot of grading, french drains and landscaping was required to make that house sell.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:44:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I cut time fuse a little too short.
View Quote

I mathed wrong and we ran out of fuse before we were out of the impact area.  Got some extra exercise that afternoon.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:45:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Missed an abdominal aortic aneurysm on my partner's 34 year old husband
He died
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:47:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Doing business with "friends"
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:47:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They recovered it, divers in sealed suits went in to attach cables Even fully protected I would probably hurl
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:49:09 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Changed 61,000 user pass phases to 'UserPassPhrase'.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:50:19 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Let's see.  A toss up between derailing a train and crashing a DC-8.
View Quote

I feel much better about my life's risk matrix now.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top