Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:47:06 PM EDT
[#1]
sometimes Ill buy $5 to get me home to cheaper gas.

gas near work: $3.29

gas at home costco: $2.59

I drive a big truck
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:48:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP will never know the excitement of running on fumes past the E mark, heart beat racing and fingers clutched tightly, craning neck to look for the next petrol station that seems the proverbial needle in a haystack.

View Quote

LOL
in high school my old chevy truck had a gas gauge that would get funky under a 1/4 tank
the truck would let you know about 10 seconds before it died  
I remember a few times the truck would stumble and I would give it gas to build up speed to make it to the next gas station
personal best was coasting a few hundred feet and rolling to a stop at the pump
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Actually you can go quite a ways on e.  Mine says in the manual there is two gallons leftwhen the light comes on.  Thats over 50 miles, brosef.
View Quote

Read my first reply, brah.   The knowledge contained therein, will pay your membership dues for at least the next 20 years.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:49:22 PM EDT
[#4]
It doesn't cost any more to keep it full.
View Quote

Should be an advertising tagline for Colt.  Fucking NFA.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:49:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My 1989 was the same! I actually liked it. If I got into the 2nd tank, it made me feel like I was living on borrowed time, so I'd stop and fill up ASAP. That truck also had the fucking king of six cylinider engines: the inline-6. Matched with a stick shift that was about 3 feet long coming outta the floor.  

Oh, and let's not forget the high-beam button on the floor and the little triangular push-out windows. Fucking awesome truck, all around.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Used to have two tanks in my first vehicle a f150. It had a switch to switch over to the next tank.

I never understood that. Why not just one big tank?  It was cool though.  "Getting low, switching to auxillary tank! <click>"

My 1989 was the same! I actually liked it. If I got into the 2nd tank, it made me feel like I was living on borrowed time, so I'd stop and fill up ASAP. That truck also had the fucking king of six cylinider engines: the inline-6. Matched with a stick shift that was about 3 feet long coming outta the floor.  

Oh, and let's not forget the high-beam button on the floor and the little triangular push-out windows. Fucking awesome truck, all around.

Yeah I had a 91 v8 automatic.

Used to get her shaking at 100 between phx and tucson.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I grew up driving POS cars.  Always figured if I had fuel in the tank running out of gas was just one less reason I would get stranded.

I usually will top off when I get to a quarter, but sometimes I'm cheap and will only put a couple gallons to get me to payday.  In my Jeep I could feel the difference in the way the car drove with 120 lbs of fuel in the tank.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:50:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Most of the gas gauges in our family fleet don't work, so we have to fill up so we don't run out.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:50:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I try to fill my truck up when it gets down to 3/4 of a tank. It costs me the same, but it psychologically hurts less to top it up than fill from empty, at empty gas is $180 for the tank give or take
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:51:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't leave a gas station without a full tank ever.

I had a friend in college who's car always had the gas light on.  He'd constantly put only like $5.  He probably stopped for gas every other day. We gave him a ton of shit for it, but he always did it.

I was always taught to keep it full just due to precaution, stuck in traffic, need to get somewhere in a hurry (no time to stop for gas), etc.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:52:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Read my first reply, brah.   The knowledge contained therein, will pay your membership dues for at least the next 20 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Actually you can go quite a ways on e.  Mine says in the manual there is two gallons leftwhen the light comes on.  Thats over 50 miles, brosef.

There's no knowledge in that post. Only sorcery, superstition and shitty GM vehicles.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:52:02 PM EDT
[#11]
it costs time.

I try to fill up when i get to 1/4
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:54:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If you never let it get low, youre always stopping at the damn filling statuon.

I fill her up and then stay away from that damn place till Iabsolutely need to go back.

I save time and weight hauling.

Sir, you fail and I boo you.
View Quote

Meh I usually wait until I'm 1/4 to 1/2, but usually the latter.

I guess my dad should change his saying due to semantics.

"It doesn't cost anymore to fill the tank when you go to the gas station when your vehicle gets between 1/4 and 1/2."
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:55:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Always fill up between half tank and qtr tank.  Never understood the only getting $5-$10 at a time.
View Quote
Well for some people it's a decision between filling their tank up or putting in just enough to get to work so they money left to eat.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:56:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I fill up when I get to half a tank
View Quote

Bingo.  You never know what situation you might land yourself in that having the extra gas is beneficial.  I've seen people get stuck on the highway when there is a really bad traffic jam that they weren't expecting
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:58:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I fill up, then get low (usually near empty with the fuel light on) and then go and fill it to the top again.

I hate going to the gas station so I fill up and then don't go again until I'm on E.  Unless I'm going on  a trip or something and I'll fill up before I leave.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:58:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Why does anyone except police and the military even need a gas tank that would let them go more than 10 miles without refueling?  

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:59:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My dad told me this when I was 15-16. Sage advice.

Whenever I go get fuel, I always see people drive off with only putting $10, $5, sometimes even $2.

Should I check my privilege?
View Quote

How do you know those people aren't just topping off their tanks?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:02:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I run it empty and then fill it full. My time is to valuable to go through selecting the fuel and starting the pump to not just let it finish pumping.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:04:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I start looking for a station when it nears the 1/2 tank mark. Rarely does it ever get down to the 1/4 tank mark.

Wife thinks differently... I'm waiting for the day I have to take her a gas can.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:04:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:05:18 PM EDT
[#21]
gas pumps at a station here  has  1,5, 10, 20   pre set amounts       told the owner, why not reset it to  5, 10,20,50   at the price of fuel.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:05:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
OP will never know the excitement of running on fumes past the E mark, heart beat racing and fingers clutched tightly, craning neck to look for the next petrol station that seems the proverbial needle in a haystack.

View Quote

+1. It's how I know I've truly lived.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:05:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

For the last 12 years I have routinely run my Dodge Dakota down below the E line with a fuel gauge needle with gap between the line and the actual needle.  I have 270,000 on the truck.  Guess how many fuel pumps I have replaced?  ZERO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those people that run on 1/8 tank end up replacing more fuel pumps, too.

For the last 12 years I have routinely run my Dodge Dakota down below the E line with a fuel gauge needle with gap between the line and the actual needle.  I have 270,000 on the truck.  Guess how many fuel pumps I have replaced?  ZERO.

Same here.  I've run cars down to the E since I started driving.  Never replaced a single fuel pump and the only time I ran out of gas was in a car with a bad fuel gauge that dropped from 1/2 down to E without warning.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:06:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#25]
When I first got married we were broke and I would never put more than $5 in at a time.  Now that I am older and my finances are in order it very rarely gets below half a tank before I refill.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:07:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Well for some people it's a decision between filling their tank up or putting in just enough to get to work so they money left to eat.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Always fill up between half tank and qtr tank.  Never understood the only getting $5-$10 at a time.

Yup.  I haven't been in this position for awhile thankfully, but I have been in it before.  Sometimes you gotta put in just enough to get you by till payday.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:09:17 PM EDT
[#27]
I only put enough in to get me to a Company approved station.  I often put $5 in just to get me a 10 miles or so till I get my gas for free

ETA:  I have a 35 gallon tank too, My light can come on and I'll put $15 in and it still stays on.  $5 dollars gives me about 22 miles.  Unless im on a road trip I never fill it more than half way up, kills my mileage and acceleration with all that extra weight and my anemic 6 cylinder
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:09:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My dad told me this when I was 15-16. Sage advice.

Whenever I go get fuel, I always see people drive off with only putting $10, $5, sometimes even $2.

Should I check my privilege?

For the sake of your devils advocate position; I don't.

However, I think we can both safely assume to that it's not the case for most.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:12:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Im one of those who only puts in $20 at a time.

It has nothing to do with saving money. And everything to do with making sure I have enough cash for range days on Saturday
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:14:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:16:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Having a full tank does cost money if you're driving around with a tank of $3.50 gas and the station has it at $3.25 now.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:19:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I was going to post the same thing
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
at 6 pounds a gallon
it does actually cost something... to haul around that extra weight
Im sure it is pennies and we are splitting hairs here

but it does in fact cost money to keep it full

I was going to post the same thing

And.....when prices are falling I can buy it cheaper at tomorrow's prices.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:22:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

My taco still has about 70 miles on E.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My taco still has about 70 miles on E.

My f150 has about 100-120 on E

Also has a 36 gallon tank.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:23:00 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

at 6 pounds a gallon

it does actually cost something... to haul around that extra weight

Im sure it is pennies and we are splitting hairs here

but it does in fact cost money to keep it full

ETA: I keep mine full, doesnt make sense to stop 5 times a week versus 1 time

for the same amount of fuel in the end
View Quote
For stop and go or city traffic, sure.  Tenths of a percent at most, considering 3000+ pounds of vehicle and 10 gallons or so, 65 pounds.  He'll, most of GD is 65+ pounds overweight, do they bother to cut out the excess calories?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:25:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Diesel was $3.15 at a store 30 miles from home, I topped off and filled my cans, making it a $80 purchase .  Then drove home and filled the truck, generator and half the tank on the youngest's.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:25:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:26:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My wife does this (partial fill up). She always hoping that the price will drop "next time".

Rarely fills the tank.

Drives me nuts for no reason.
View Quote

Women love to drive around with an empty tank for some reason.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:26:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's even more fun on the strip in Vegas on a Saturday night with your wife and little kids in the car.  Bumper to bumper angry drunk people honking and yelling while you pray for your car to not die.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:28:40 PM EDT
[#39]
I always run it down until the light comes on, then fill the tank. Haven't had any fuel system issues doing so. The tank isn't empty at that point anyway, IIRC there are still 2-3 gallons left.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:28:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My wife does this (partial fill up). She always hoping that the price will drop "next time".

Rarely fills the tank.

Drives me nuts for no reason.
View Quote

My wife does the opposite. She plays a game called "how long can I go before filling up". More than one time I have been in her Jeep and it says "0 miles until empty" and I know the next gas station is 5 miles away and I am annoyed and tense. She has only ran out a couple times. Still. I fill up when I get under a quarter tank.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:31:20 PM EDT
[#41]
I use the entire capacity of the tank most times.  I hate stopping.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:32:58 PM EDT
[#42]
I agree that it is wise to keep your tank as full as possible.

Every once in a while I will get lazy and say I will just get gas tomorrow. And occasionally some kind of urgent thing comes up where I need to drive somewhere and the tank is near empty.

I live in a small town and usually do most everything around town. Whenever I leave town, I usually fill up just in case.

I drive a diesel pickup and I have been in the situation more than once where I needed fuel, and saw gas stations that didn't have diesel. Keeping if as full as possible (getting fuel around half a tank instead of waiting) pays off many times. Sometimes you can't be sure you can get fuel. A good case in point: I went on a road trip up through Montana Wyoming Utah. Fraud alert went off on my credit card. I didn't know it because I had no cell phone coverage. In this case I had cash on me, but it would suck to get down to empty then realize that you can't buy fuel. And there are natural and man made disasters. Imagine that you need to evacuate for some reason and your vehicle is out of fuel.

Then we get into driving a pickup truck in the snow. That weight over your rear end helps.

Then there is the fact that I lived most of my life in the southwest US. Once you leave town, the next town my be 100 miles away with no where to buy fuel in between. You don't go on a long trip and let the fuel light come on. You would be in a world of hurt. This is also what caused me to lose interest in motorcycle riding. I had to carefully plan every trip around where I could get fuel. I wanted to explore remote parts of the state but could only go a little over 100 miles on a tank of fuel. When I lived there, I got fuel at almost every town.

FWIW: My pickup will do over 500 miles on a tank of fuel. If I let it get down halfway.....................that still leaves me with 250 miles IF something happens and I can't get more. I always have a plan B if I am at home. If I HAD to, I could siphon home heating fuel into my truck. I have a 1500 gallon tank. It isn't legal to drive on fuel oil, but if I absolutely had to obviously that law wouldn't stop me.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:33:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Ever since the derecho storm I try not to get under 1/2 a tank.  I was glad to have some gas in my tank when that happened because none was available for about a week.  I had enough gas in the tank to get into NC, on my way to a tropical climate with electricity for an unplanned vacation.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:34:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

My wife

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife

Same here.  It's somehow become a point of pride to her to see how close she can push it with out actually running out.  Often I will just fill it up after she goes to bed.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I Never had a fuel pump fail.

I am frequently low. Im at 195k in current vehicle.

Myth busted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I Never had a fuel pump fail.

I am frequently low. Im at 195k in current vehicle.

Myth busted.

Willful ignorance.    

Plenty of people have married Redheaded Nurse-Horse-girls and lead kick ass lives....

... But that doesn't make it good advice.  

People of Arfcom and the wider world, don't listen to the Knowitalls.      Every type of vehicle is different, and unless you've actually taken apart and studied your cars fuel system, you'd better keep your fuel pump immersed.  

OTOH, IDGAF, Mechanics gotta eat too.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:36:19 PM EDT
[#46]
In my car I fill up when it hits 1/4 tank, or if I'm on a long trip, as soon as the gas light comes on.

I'm my bike I usually fill up when the light comes on, sometimes I wait until the light starts flashing.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:43:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I told my wife and daughter to never let the tank get below 1/4. You never know when you will be stuck in traffic because of a crash, or you might need to take the car for an emergency and don't have time to stop for gas.
View Quote

The Best Answer So Far!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:46:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If all ya got til payday is enough for half a tank, and half a tank will keep you driving through payday, then you gotta do what you gotta do.

I've been there before in life. Thankfully not recently.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:46:26 PM EDT
[#49]
My Excursion has a 44 gallon tank.

There's times where I don't want to spend 150 dollars to fill it, or to wait to fill it, or to run my card twice because of the damned 75 dollar credit limit, etc.

I rarely do 10 or 20 bucks, though.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:50:06 PM EDT
[#50]
I fill up at every gas station I pass.  It's like a tactical reload for your car.  Never know when you might need to be a full capacity.

Seriously though...I don't get the people who never put more than 1/4 tank in their car.  Whether you buy 2 gallons every day or 10 gallons every 5 days, it all comes out about the same.  I try not to let mine get below 1/4 tank before filling it up, but sometimes I'll go a little further.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top