BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:02:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow, that's not anything like what I imagined a crash caused by one engine out on a twin engined plane would look like.  It appeared to be mushing along in a straight line and then abruptly pitched over and crashed.  Was the departure caused by a stall and then the differential thrust caused the powered wing to go up and over?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Twin engines suck when one engine go out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqmomTUVsAw
Wow, that's not anything like what I imagined a crash caused by one engine out on a twin engined plane would look like.  It appeared to be mushing along in a straight line and then abruptly pitched over and crashed.  Was the departure caused by a stall and then the differential thrust caused the powered wing to go up and over?

Some light twins are death traps when they lose an engine.  

Theoretically the King Air should be completely controllable in that situation.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:03:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You need not worry about asymmetric thrust with a single engine failure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

single engine sucks more when one engine quits

this has to be more than just an eng failure

...nor do you have lift any longer.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You still have lift.  Just not enough to prevent a continued descent toward Earth.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Highly unlikely.  

VMC roll, rudderboost, or autofeather failure.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
if the gearbox overheated, could that seize up the prop and make feathering malfunction or fail?

I'm not a PT-6 guru by any means, but the PT-6 has a history of gearbox failures in which the prop was still able to be feathered successfully.

Highly unlikely.  

Can you explain? The loss of oil pressure causes the prop to feather automatically. The oil pressure overcomes the springs in the prop hub to remove the propeller from the feather position. There are a few times it may not, which has been a governor failure and lock up, but it still feathered after a minute.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:07:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I will take asymmetric thrust over no thrust

Having experienced both, it was much less stressful having a second engine.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:07:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That varies on a situational basis and nose attitude and speed plays a part in it. Small singles "kinda" turn into heavy gliders with the right parameters. Losing an engine on takeoff when you are already committed to taking off sucks no matter what you are flying.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:07:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Can you explain? The loss of oil pressure causes the prop to feather automatically. The oil pressure overcomes the springs in the prop hub to remove the propeller from the feather position. There are a few times it may not, which has been a governor failure and lock up, but it still feathered after a minute.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
if the gearbox overheated, could that seize up the prop and make feathering malfunction or fail?

I'm not a PT-6 guru by any means, but the PT-6 has a history of gearbox failures in which the prop was still able to be feathered successfully.

Highly unlikely.  

I meant to quote phatmax, my bad.  You are 100% correct, the springs will return the prop to feather when oil pressure ceases.  

(I used to maintain several KA's, C90s, F90s, and 200/B200).
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No major airline is based at Wichita, so it is unlikely that any airline pilots would be using that facility.  It costs too much to send pilots away from their base for sim time.  At Wichita it's probably business and private pilots doing upgrade training on Cessna products.  Much the same for Flight Safety in Wilmington, DE or Savannah, GA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hit the Safety Building (yes, ironic).  

flight safety - it's a flight training school

Shit.  which airlines use that particular Flight Safety?

No major airline is based at Wichita, so it is unlikely that any airline pilots would be using that facility.  It costs too much to send pilots away from their base for sim time.  At Wichita it's probably business and private pilots doing upgrade training on Cessna products.  Much the same for Flight Safety in Wilmington, DE or Savannah, GA.

Careful, lots of misinformation here.
Lots of airlines contract with FlightSafety for sim training and classroom use. This particular facility was mostly corporate airframes.
Private pilots very rarely purchase type ratings.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:13:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

King Air 200 is a cream puff with an engine out.  Plenty of power and rudder boost.  Feather and auto feather (if installed)  should have been tested  on the run up.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:49:08 PM EDT
[#10]
NTSB is scheduled to hold a press conference at 9:00 PM CST tonight.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:06:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  That is a textbook case of what we call VMC rollover.   The pilot let his airspeed decay until he had more drag then lift.  Can't climb, so he's trading airspeed to maintain altitude.  This requires increasing rudder, until finally you run out of lift, directional contol and ideas simultaneously.  

The only fix, might be to descend until the airspeed builds up, but in some airplanes, and some configurations, this is impossible.    in a Recip, what he should have done is reduce power to the good engine lower the nose and land straight ahead.       It's difficult or impossible to do in real life, however, because your every instinct is to keep flying.

FWIW, a Kingair like the accident plane, has enough power to climb happily on one engine.   Most recip twins cannot, but a Turboprop Kingair can fly all day on a SE effortlessly.  

However, the Pilot has to Be skilled.   If you fail to configure it properly and control your airspeed, This is the result.

I'm having a hard time wording this, but the Standards that this guy would have been held to, are relatively lower, compared to the standards at an airline.   The training is virtually the same, but the Standards are less.  By the book, they are similar, but in practice, they are not.  

The Airlines, and the Military, weed out weak pilots without mercy.   That doesn't happen so much in General Aviation.  
Sure, there are guys that prove to be untrainable, but this is very unusual.

That said, there are possibly, some very rare mechanical failures, which would lock the dead prop into a "Flat" pitch condition, making recovery impossible.   There but for the Grace of God go I.    
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:49:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yes.  That is a textbook case of what we call VMC rollover.   The pilot let his airspeed decay until he had more drag then lift.  Can't climb, so he's trading airspeed to maintain altitude.  This requires increasing rudder, until finally you run out of lift, directional contol and ideas simultaneously.  

The only fix, might be to descend until the airspeed builds up, but in some airplanes, and some configurations, this is impossible.    in a Recip, what he should have done is reduce power to the good engine lower the nose and land straight ahead.       It's difficult or impossible to do in real life, however, because your every instinct is to keep flying.

FWIW, a Kingair like the accident plane, has enough power to climb happily on one engine.   Most recip twins cannot, but a Turboprop Kingair can fly all day on a SE effortlessly.  

However, the Pilot has to Be skilled.   If you fail to configure it properly and control your airspeed, This is the result.

I'm having a hard time wording this, but the Standards that this guy would have been held to, are relatively lower, compared to the standards at an airline.   The training is virtually the same, but the Standards are less.  By the book, they are similar, but in practice, they are not.  

The Airlines, and the Military, weed out weak pilots without mercy.   That doesn't happen so much in General Aviation.  

That said, there are possibly, some very rare mechanical failures, which would lock the dead prop into a "Flat" pitch condition, making recovery impossible.   There but for the Grace of God go I.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The training is vastly different.

When I got my ATP in a Seneca 3, All I had to do was a simulated single engine ILS, with the throttle back at idle, which is a big difference than shut down.

No sim time on V1 cuts, ( takeoff at the speed you must take off and lose an engine) at all. If I had continued flying the Seneca 3, my first experience flying the aircraft single engine would have been for real, and doing it as I was lifting off the ground would have been the first time I had even attempted it as far as my training went.

I still say, if he had an engine over temp as reported, he should have just concentrated on flying to a safe altitude, done what ever checklist he had to do, then make a radio call and set up for the return. Instead he made a radio call half way down the runway, probably not 200  feet in the air if that. He needed to anticipate the engine failing due to the anomaly and fly the aircraft as if that engine was going to quit.

Every single take off I do, every single one, I review the engine failure on take off procedures and abort /continue criteria and call outs in my head before brake release. This is a phase of flight that has no forgiveness. You can not fuck it up. It requires perfection and the proper priorities adhered to.

Maybe he had some type of malfunction that was not recoverable, but he still made a radio call low to the ground half way down the runway about an engine problem. Articles say he was very experienced, but it appears  he made a very basic mistake by talking on the radio with an engine malfunction at very low altitude instead of doing it one step at a time and climbing to a safe altitude using single engine procedures assuming the engine was going to quit.

ETA. Let me say that yes I am being harsh. Aviation requires the harsh truth to be drilled into the heads of people that do this either for pleasure or for a living. The harsh truth helps this from happening again to someone else. There is little slack in aviation, and there should be no slack in discussing what went wrong and why
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:18:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:Let me say that yes I am being harsh. Aviation requires the harsh truth to be drilled into the heads of people that do this either for pleasure or for a living. The harsh truth helps this from happening again to someone else. There is little slack in aviation, and there should be no slack in discussing what went wrong and why
View Quote

Agreed.

As a functional matter, most light twins will not do a V1 type maneuver, as there simply isn't the excess horsepower available to climb in any but the most permissive conditions. Even if you could climb, you cannot climb and turn. Engine failures in light twins at t/o are controlled crashes, while most turbine twins can be expected to at least moderately climb, presuming everything goes well.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:30:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Pretty good discussion here .

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:23:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

When I got my ATP in a Seneca 3, All I had to do was a simulated single engine ILS, with the throttle back at idle, which is a big difference than shut down.

No sim time on V1 cuts, ( takeoff at the speed you must take off and lose an engine) at all. If I had continued flying the Seneca 3, my first experience flying the aircraft single engine would have been for real, and doing it as I was lifting off the ground would have been the first time I had even attempted it as far as my training went.

I still say, if he had an engine over temp as reported, he should have just concentrated on flying to a safe altitude, done what ever checklist he had to do, then make a radio call and set up for the return. Instead he made a radio call half way down the runway, probably not 200  feet in the air if that. He needed to anticipate the engine failing due to the anomaly and fly the aircraft as if that engine was going to quit.

Every single take off I do, every single one, I review the engine failure on take off procedures and abort /continue criteria and call outs in my head before brake release. This is a phase of flight that has no forgiveness. You can not fuck it up. It requires perfection and the proper priorities adhered to.

Maybe he had some type of malfunction that was not recoverable, but he still made a radio call low to the ground half way down the runway about an engine problem. Articles say he was very experienced, but it appears  he made a very basic mistake by talking on the radio with an engine malfunction at very low altitude instead of doing it one step at a time and climbing to a safe altitude using single engine procedures assuming the engine was going to quit.

ETA. Let me say that yes I am being harsh. Aviation requires the harsh truth to be drilled into the heads of people that do this either for pleasure or for a living. The harsh truth helps this from happening again to someone else. There is little slack in aviation, and there should be no slack in discussing what went wrong and why
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If your only experience with General Aviation training was one of those  Two day ATP schools, then it's no wonder you are dismissive of GA training in general.   Those schools are diploma mills.  The training is cooperate and graduate.  

The standards in GA are all over the place.   There is no uniformity. Some are very hard core, some are not.  It depends on the School, the culture, the applicant pool, the instructors, the check airmen, the local Feds.

If this guy did his Kingair Sim training at FSI, it is functionally identical to what you are familiar with at the Airline.   I've done both.  

The difference isn't in the training.   The difference inherent quality of pilots that are allowed to get through.  

Training at the Majors is friendly, but still exacting.    They try not to wash anyone out, but will, if someone proves to be repeatedly weak.

Training at the Regionals is different.  It is typically a brutal weeding out process which effectively screens out those who don't have the aptitude, or can't handle pressure.     Probably closer to what you experienced in the Military.

Training at FSI has the same professionalism and proceedures as the Airlines, but without the prospect of being washed out.   As you can well imagine, that makes all the difference.

If he didn't train in the full motion sim at FSI, then yeah, his training and skill level may well have been a complete joke.  
It would be interesting to know.

This has been a subject of interest for me for 25 years, and I've gotten to experience every part of the Training/Certifying/Time Building/Hiring/Training continuum, from all sides ; Trainee, Instructor, Hiring Manager, etc.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:44:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Agreed.

As a functional matter, most light twins will not do a V1 type maneuver, as there simply isn't the excess horsepower available to climb in any but the most permissive conditions. Even if you could climb, you cannot climb and turn. Engine failures in light twins at t/o are controlled crashes, while most turbine twins can be expected to at least moderately climb, presuming everything goes well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Let me say that yes I am being harsh. Aviation requires the harsh truth to be drilled into the heads of people that do this either for pleasure or for a living. The harsh truth helps this from happening again to someone else. There is little slack in aviation, and there should be no slack in discussing what went wrong and why

Agreed.

There's been a lot of confusion over here, over what you are talking about.   Even some of our pros don't understand the difference, because they simply haven't been exposed to it.  

To clarify, we should use the terms Recip Twin and Turboprop Twin.    

a Kingair is a TurboProp.   It will do a V1 cut and climb out exactly like a jet.  (Because it has a turbine engine)
The performance is in no way similar to a Seneca, or any other common Recip twin.).  

The term "Light Twin" is misleading, because it can refer to either Recips / or JetProps.   As you said, there is no comparison.   Two completely different birds.  

An engine failure on takeoff in a recip is a very bad deal.   The saying is: "The good engine will take you all the way to the scene of the accident".  And it's basically true.  

An engine failure in a Turboprop is not a big deal, provided you have skill and don't choke.  It can be slightly more challenging then a V1 cut in a jet, but it's pretty much the same thing.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:16:35 PM EDT
[#17]
There are really good schools and there are schools geared towards taking your money and checking a box.  I personally know pilots who choose the latter because its easy, they have very sub par skills.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If your only experience with General Aviation training was one of those  Two day ATP schools, then it's no wonder you are dismissive of GA training in general.   Those schools are diploma mills.  The training is cooperate and graduate.  

The standards in GA are all over the place.   There is no uniformity. Some are very hard core, some are not.  It depends on the School, the culture, the applicant pool, the instructors, the check airmen, the local Feds.

If this guy did his Kingair Sim training at FSI, it is functionally identical to what you are familiar with at the Airline.   I've done both.  

The difference isn't in the training.   The difference inherent quality of pilots that are allowed to get through.  

Training at the Majors is friendly, but still exacting.    They try not to wash anyone out, but will, if someone proves to be repeatedly weak.

Training at the Regionals is different.  It is typically a brutal weeding out process which effectively screens out those who don't have the aptitude, or can't handle pressure.     Probably closer to what you experienced in the Military.

Training at FSI has the same professionalism and proceedures as the Airlines, but without the prospect of being washed out.   As you can well imagine, that makes all the difference.

If he didn't train in the full motion sim at FSI, then yeah, his training and skill level may well have been a complete joke.  

This has been a subject of interest for me for 25 years, and I've gotten to experience every part of the Training/Certifying/Time Building/Hiring/Training continuum, from all sides ; Trainee, Instructor, Hiring Manager, etc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok I will stand corrected. My only experience in GA is tooling around in a C150 and getting an ATP in a Seneca 3. Which I did in a 1.0 having never flown a twin prop, never flown a variable pitch prop and never flew the Seneca 3, I studied a bunch of stuff and I hopped in a Senaca 3 with an FAA Examiner and took the ATP checkride. Not the smartest thing I ever did, but that was back when I was bullet proof and it worked. He even told me it was the best checkride he had seen in years.

All the rest of my experience is Instructing in the F15 and flying the line for a major.

My question is this.

You stated: " Training at FSI has the same professionalism and proceedures as the Airlines, but without the prospect of being washed out.   As you can well imagine, that makes all the difference."

How can you not get washed out? Either you demo proficiency on the check ride or you don't. I don't get what you mean.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:46:55 PM EDT
[#19]
With a total of 4 hours multi in a Piper Apache I know what a light twin is. I would never consider  King Air 200 a light twin.
Rest of my time is in single engine and I'm glad. Small twins when seats full scare me on takeoff.
Lose a engine on take off in a single and the thinking part is real simple. You'll be landing shortly.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:57:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:59:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Don't forget that light twins under 6000 pounds gross weight are not required to demonstrate positive rate of climb on one engine for certification.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

There's been a lot of confusion over here, over what you are talking about.   Even some of our pros don't understand the difference, because they simply haven't been exposed to it.  

a Kingair is a TurboProp.   It will do a V1 cut and climb out exactly like a jet.  (Because it has a turbine engine)
The performance is in no way similar to a Seneca, or any other common Recip twin.).  

The term "Light Twin" is misleading, because it can refer to either Recips / or JetProps.   As you said, there is no comparison.   Two completely different birds.  

An engine failure on takeoff in a recip is a very bad deal.   The saying is: "The good engine will take you all the way to the scene of the accident".  And it's basically true.  

An engine failure in a Turboprop is not a big deal, provided you have skill and don't choke.  It can be slightly more challenging then a V1 cut in a jet, but it's pretty much the same thing.  

Don't forget that light twins under 6000 pounds gross weight are not required to demonstrate positive rate of climb on one engine for certification.

Then What is the point to having 2 engines?   Keeping mechanics employed?

I guess at some altitude they can maintain altitude on one?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:01:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

Look at the production numbers for said aircraft....

Pretty sure piper makes the seneca for the sole purpose of keeping ATPs fleet fresh.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:09:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Ok I will stand corrected. My only experience in GA is tooling around in a C150 and getting an ATP in a Seneca 3. Which I did in a 1.0 having never flown a twin prop, never flown a variable pitch prop and never flew the Seneca 3, I studied a bunch of stuff and I hopped in a Senaca 3 with an FAA Examiner and took the ATP checkride. Not the smartest thing I ever did, but that was back when I was bullet proof and it worked. He even told me it was the best checkride he had seen in years.

All the rest of my experience is Instructing in the F15 and flying the line for a major.

My question is this.

You stated: " Training at FSI has the same professionalism and proceedures as the Airlines, but without the prospect of being washed out.   As you can well imagine, that makes all the difference."

How can you not get washed out? Either you demo proficiency on the check ride or you don't. I don't get what you mean.
View Quote

I think what that means is if you pay the money, they'll try to drill it into you again. The only true washout comes when the money runs out. And even if you are in a training program you can wash out from (some reputable schools and colleges), you can always try again somewhere else.

So there are very big differences in student training programs. I've always done the same thing you do. Go over emergency procedures before I start my roll. And the most advanced aircraft I've ever flown solo is a Piper Warrior.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:29:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:42:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Standby, I have kung air books
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:43:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I think what that means is if you pay the money, they'll try to drill it into you again. The only true washout comes when the money runs out. And even if you are in a training program you can wash out from (some reputable schools and colleges), you can always try again somewhere else.

So there are very big differences in student training programs. I've always done the same thing you do. Go over emergency procedures before I start my roll. And the most advanced aircraft I've ever flown solo is a Piper Warrior.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My question is this.

I did not ever think of that. Interesting.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:50:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:51:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Using todays temp 10c at max gross the single engine service ceiling is 16,800 (-42 engines inoperative feathered).  Subtract 1500 if ice vanes are extended.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:01:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Local news is saying plane was in for work thats why the plane was in Wichita and it was on it first flight since work was done and he was taking the plane up for testing.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:08:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

My question is this.

View Quote

It was a slight exageration.  People do fail to pass, but those are people that are truly bad, unsafe at any speed.  

But it's nothing like the Regionals, or Military, where it's a sink or swim mentality.

The ones that fail either have serious physical handicaps, or they are just that bottom 5% that suck.  

Basically, They will continue to retrain you, as long as your money holds out.  The ones with truly bad attitudes and bad judgement become legendary within the training center.    

Most major airlines have a "Train to proficiency" culture at this point.    Picture that, but without the benefit of the pre screening which the Airline gained in hiring from the Military and Regional airline ranks.  

I've noticed that there is a sort of bell curve with pro pilots.     There's a top ten percent, who get everything easy, then there's another say, 40% who can be damned good if they are truly dedicated and work hard at it.   Then there's 40% who are sorta weak, but can get through a career safely.   Then there is that bottom 10% who should be in a different line of work.  They simply don't have the aptitude, but they are resourceful, and find ways to slip through the cracks.

The guys that get into the piloting career later in life, are often in that bottom group.    I'm not saying this guy was, because I don't know him, but many high profile accidents have been that exact profile.    
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:19:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Interdasting.

I'm reading a SKA200 manual and reading up on the propeller feathering system.  It is really very simple in the way it works.  Counter weights,  oil pressure and springs with servos controlling the oil pressure valves.  

There is Auto Feather arm/dis-arm switch and also a prop synch system with an arm/dis-arm switch.  But here is the part that confuses me somewhat.  

Now this is straight from the manual (ironically enough the manual is from Flight Safety International.) "If an engine flames out in flight or if the pilot selects the condition lever to CUTOFF, the propeller will not feather because of the wind- milling effect and governor action. Feathering in flight should be manually selected by using the propeller control lever."

So If I am reading that correctly,  Even with the auto feather system armed,  The prop on the affected engine still may not feather automatically?

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:44:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Interdasting.

I'm reading a SKA200 manual and reading up on the propeller feathering system.  It is really very simple in the way it works.  Counter weights,  oil pressure and springs with servos controlling the oil pressure valves.  

There is Auto Feather arm/dis-arm switch and also a prop synch system with an arm/dis-arm switch.  But here is the part that confuses me somewhat.  

Now this is straight from the manual (ironically enough the manual is from Flight Safety International.) "If an engine flames out in flight or if the pilot selects the condition lever to CUTOFF, the propeller will not feather because of the wind- milling effect and governor action. Feathering in flight should be manually selected by using the propeller control lever."

So If I am reading that correctly,  Even with the auto feather system armed,  The prop on the affected engine still may not feather automatically?

View Quote

No, with it armed, it Will feather immediately and correctly.  it's easy to control and you have about a 700fpm climb rate or better.  

If it's not armed, it will tend to go toward fx, then maybe cycle in and out a little until you fx it manually.

Either way, it's easy to control, if your basic airmanship is sound.  Some people do have a hard time with it though.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:47:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It was a slight exageration.  People do fail to pass, but those are people that are truly bad, unsafe at any speed.  

But it's nothing like the Regionals, or Military, where it's a sink or swim mentality.

The ones that fail either have serious physical handicaps, or they are just that bottom 5% that suck.  

Basically, They will continue to retrain you, as long as your money holds out.  The ones with truly bad attitudes and bad judgement become legendary within the training center.    

Most major airlines have a "Train to proficiency" culture at this point.    Picture that, but without the benefit of the pre screening which the Airline gained in hiring from the Military and Regional airline ranks.  

I've noticed that there is a sort of bell curve with pro pilots.     There's a top ten percent, who get everything easy, then there's another say, 40% who can be damned good if they are truly dedicated and work hard at it.   Then there's 40% who are sorta weak, but can get through a career safely.   Then there is that bottom 10% who should be in a different line of work.  They simply don't have the aptitude, but they are resourceful, and find ways to slip through the cracks.

The guys that get into the piloting career later in life, are often in that bottom group.    I'm not saying this guy was, because I don't know him, but many high profile accidents have been that exact profile.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My question is this.

I work for a major.

The "train to proficiency" thing is nothing more than a way to save money. It is not a 12 ride training program with extra sims if you need them, like one would think.

They take a 12 ride simulator training plan and reduce it to 8, claiming they train to proficiency and those 4 sims are available if somebody needs them. The FAA buys off on it.  All it means is that you are expected to be proficient by the 8th sim instead of the 12th sim. Then in a few years it drops to 6 sims.

It is just a way to reduce training costs.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:58:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

No, with it armed, it Will feather immediately and correctly.  it's easy to control and you have about a 700fpm climb rate or better.  

If it's not armed, it will tend to go toward fx, then maybe cycle in and out a little until you fx it manually.

Either way, it's easy to control, if your basic airmanship is sound.  Some people do have a hard time with it though.  
View Quote

Ok With A little more reading I think I understand how it works.  Switch/sensors in each engine monitor the tourque produced,  It one engine drops below 400 ft lb output the auto feather annunciator light on the operating engine will go out,  when the power output drops below 200 ft lb the dump solenoid opens on the oil pressure dump valve on the dead engine allowing the springs to override the flyweights and feathering the prop.

Here is how not to do it I guess.  
VMC roll.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 1:06:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I work for a major.

The "train to proficiency" thing is nothing more than a way to save money. It is not a 12 ride training program with extra sims if you need them, like one would think.

They take a 12 ride simulator training plan and reduce it to 8, claiming they train to proficiency and those 4 sims are available if somebody needs them. The FAA buys off on it.  All it means is that you are expected to be proficient by the 8th sim instead of the 12th sim. Then in a few years it drops to 6 sims.

It is just a way to reduce training costs.
View Quote

Intradesting way to put it.     Both of my Training experiences at the Majors was much less stressful then at the Regionals, but that is mostly due to a friendlier culture, and more experience on my part.

Perhaps my analogy was bad.   It might be better to say, FSI is train to proficiency, the way it is advertised,
-in actuality, just as long as your Checks clear.    

And FSI is the most reputable of the bunch.   There are many others that are cheaper, but the training value is questionable.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 1:09:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Ok With A little more reading I think I understand how it works.  Switch/sensors in each engine monitor the tourque produced,  It one engine drops below 400 ft lb output the auto feather annunciator light on the operating engine will go out,  when the power output drops below 200 ft lb the dump solenoid opens on the oil pressure dump valve on the dead engine allowing the springs to override the flyweights and feathering the prop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct.     Very good, you've passed that part of the oral, now lets move on to Limitations.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 1:28:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Correct.     Very good, you've passed that part of the oral, now lets move on to Limitations.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thee!  I are not stoopid.  I kan lern.  

I have quite a bit of experience with small single engine aircraft.  But near to nothing with Twins.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 1:35:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I have quite a bit of experience with small single engine aircraft.  But near to nothing with Twins.  
View Quote

Pilatus?        This guy would still be alive if he was flying a PC12.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 1:40:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One would hope so. With a PC-12 he wouldn't have to contend with that nasty little issue called asymmetric thrust.  

Neat plane.  
</a>" />
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 8:42:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

One would hope so. With a PC-12 he wouldn't have to contend with that nasty little issue called asymmetric thrust.  

Neat plane.  
http://<a href=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/goodnbuzzd/PilatusPC-12.jpg</a>" />
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neat plane.  
http://<a href=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c83/goodnbuzzd/PilatusPC-12.jpg</a>" />

No, he would have to contend with ZERO thrust and crash straight ahead.  (Assuming the engine quit). Assymetric thrust is a pretty much a non event in the King Air series, even a v1 cut.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:16:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Neat plane.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neat plane.  

My lottery plane, thank you!  
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 10:18:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

No, he would have to contend with ZERO thrust and crash straight ahead.  (Assuming the engine quit). Assymetric thrust is a pretty much a non event in the King Air series, even a v1 cut.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neat plane.  

I was trying to be sarcastic.  

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 10:38:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

VMC roll.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZIzEtHzbNU
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

VMC roll.

What is the story on that. Did he lose the engine as he rolled out or was it shut down a while ago?

Because if he was coming in on one engine, rolling out on a 1/4 mile final is a fucked up way to do a single engine approach.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 10:40:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What is the story on that. Did he lose the engine as he rolled out or was it shut down a while ago?

Because if he was coming in on one engine, rolling out on a 1/4 mile final os a fucked up way to do a single engine approach.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

VMC roll.

Because if he was coming in on one engine, rolling out on a 1/4 mile final os a fucked up way to do a single engine approach.

Looks more like a cross controlled stall to me.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:41:07 AM EDT
[#45]
[

View Quote

My bad.  Sometimes the Pilatus fans get a little wonky about how awesome it is.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 1:32:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
[

My favorite plane. It's amazing, but it still only has one engine
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Did the pilot depart runway 1R and crash before reaching the departure end or did he leave the airport property and crashed while trying to land?
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 2:15:02 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Did the pilot depart runway 1R and crash before reaching the departure end or did he leave the airport property and crashed while trying to land?
View Quote
Yeah, departed 1R, left engine failure and turned westerly, impacted FlightSafety Cessna (roughly midfield or slightly past).  

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 5:42:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Yeah, departed 1R, left engine failure and turned westerly, impacted FlightSafety Cessna (roughly midfield or slightly past).    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do we know if he intiated a turn or did he dump and turn left as he lost control?

Turning mid field at maybe 100 feet would make no sense.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:56:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Do we know if he intiated a turn or did he dump and turn left as he lost control?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kind of baffling,  One would like to think that he couldn't fuck something up that badly.  

I would like to think considering he was so experienced that it would have to have been something catastrophic wrong with the aircraft.  

I guess we won't know until the investigation is complete.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top