Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:34:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
 I think he's already hooked.
View Quote

Man... I hope you and your family enjoy riding safely for years...

Unfortunatley in my life by the time you could say "Crap" I almost died, said goodbye to each of my family
members in order. They're faces floated up in a sea of black oil, most loved family member going forward first and so forth. I watched our blue green planet vanish in the "rear view mirror" the universe provided as I went on about my way... The space shuttle used to leave the earth at 17,000 mph and it seemed around that speed Just as neat and easy as a movie in a theater.. No fucks we're given.., just going for the ride. My soul already made the choices that made the fate I live on this day years ago......Its odd, but at that point there are no moral dilemas, the body and soul know whats going on even if the mind does not. Mind over matter, you better believe it and the God you pray for!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:37:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Ive owned my 93 Yamaha FZR600R since 1996. Still looks great but needs a bit of carburetor work. Im getting up there in age and the bike has basically become just cheap transportation for me from work and back. Thats all I ride it for. But its killing my back being hunched over.

In the next few years ( saving money ) I want to pick up a FZ09 which ride more upright.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:41:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to ride 20k miles a year.  I didn't even start any of my bikes the last two years.  I can't really point to a reason I'm not riding, it's a lot of things.  I'm sick of the hate towards Harley owners because of a chunk of iron we own.  I'm tired of kicking cars that are changing lanes into me.  Riding around town is like playing Russian Roulette, the last time I rode it was like every other vehicle on the road was actively trying to kill me.  

But at the same time, I miss it.  Been thinking about picking up one of those new BMW K1600's just for running down the highway.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:42:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I felt like this about 2-3 years ago.  been riding since i was 20 and im now 33.  for about 4 years the bike was my sole transportation.  I did track days, drag raced, ect, but mostly a commuter the last few years. Once I bought a house (had a car then) then bought my truck, the bike just... sat.  AZ summers were just to hot to justify riding into work (21 miles 1 way) just to be soaking wet in sweat.  I just recently went back riding into work.  mostly cause its just the truck (15 mpg) vs the bike (45 mpg).  Now its getting cooler its fine with me but i think once summer hits again it will be back to the truck only.  

It does suck now that all my friends who rode all hung up their gear.  most had kids and sold their bike to fund a "family" car.  i cant blame them.  just going out on a solo ride just isnt happening.  to much to do around the house.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:43:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Same story here.
I'm 49 and been riding forever. I feel I'm now rolling the dice with inattentive drivers.

I try to take all back roads and stay off on busy weekends, try to pick the weather and limit the night riding. I don't worry so much about me as i do my wife, who likes to ride along sometimes.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:48:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I always told myself that I would stop riding when it became as boring as driving a car. A few years ago I noticed it had become just that. I sold my bike to one of my best friends who had been living with me since his wife stepped out on him. He died in a motorcycle accident about a week later. He was a very competent rider as well as one of my friends who had taught me how to ride years before. The point is that it tends to be dangerous and if the experience isn't worth the risk then giving it up may be a good idea. Anyone who rides a motorcycle will eventually be killed in a motorcycle accident. It is inevitable. The trick is to prolong this end, through liberal application of caution and good sense, to the point where you die of old age first.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:49:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I had to sell my bike, but intend to get back in the saddle as soon as I've saved up enough to buy another one.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Bought a bike this year from my BIL, this after missing riding for the last 5 years. I'm not riding remotely as much as I though I would.....not really sure why. Still feels good and like freedom when on the bike, just my motivation to jump on it has been pretty low. Hopefully I'll snap out of it before riding season starts up next year otherwise I may just let the bike go.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:51:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Same story here.
I'm 49 and been riding forever. I feel I'm now rolling the dice with inattentive drivers.

I try to take all back roads and stay off on busy weekends, try to pick the weather and limit the night riding. I don't worry so much about me as i do my wife, who likes to ride along sometimes.
View Quote

Your seeing it brother, the FO time for you and the wifey are there Just my .02
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:51:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow...this thread is a tale of tears...I've got the barrel in my mouth....

If I quit riding, stick a fork in me, I'm done...I think it has allot to do with where and what you ride.
Scooting around the mountains of central Pa on the Hayabusa, the V-Strom 1000, and off road on the IT-250 is worth the risk to me, better to live and lose than to never live...

I get somewhat of a break with winter to make spring fresh....and did not ride much when the kids were young.

But, addicted to the air & the open road, the power....

It is a challenge to outwit those that would kill you with their texting...but I accept it
just turned 59,500 miles on the Strommie today, and just Short of 30,000 in the Gen 2 Hayabusa.

Most of my riding is commuting, no "freeways" and no big city traffic, few "Burning hot days". Close to 50 miles round trip.
"
All the gear, always two new tires, always my own wrenching, and keep your head in the "death chess" game, no close following, no distractions, no betting on people not pulling out, manage your 6....

not pushing it on anyone, just sharing.  Sounds liike some of you guys should move.....

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:52:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I would actually love to start but at 35 and never ridden I would say I would just end up hurting myself
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:52:57 PM EDT
[#13]
After riding for 15 years, I gave it up when our Flight Surgeon (who was a real surgeon and a rider) told me I had maybe 5 years to go before I was wheelchair bound due to disc issues.  Miss my chopper, but I would miss my legs even more.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:04:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:06:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Been riding on and off since I was 16, I'm now 54. I sold my last bike - a Buell - 2 yrs ago. Mainly for monetary reasons.
I do miss it and all of my neighbors having bikes doesn't help. I want to get back into it. I've actually been checking out local used bikes.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I've 56 years old, been riding since I was 15... chopped Harleys, Brit bikes, Jap bikes, antique bikes, dual purpose bikes. Sold my Kawasaki GPz750, my BMW R80G/S Paris-Dakar, my 1956 BMW R50, and now just have my 2001 Dyna Super Glide.

Have over 100 books on motorcycles, lots of riding gear, a large collection of motorcycle toys, paraphenalia, art, etc. that I have accumulated over the past 41 years of riding. If you walked into my house, you would guess within a few seconds that I was a motorcyclist. I have a Motorcycles-Only partition in the garage with lots of specialty tools and a motorcycle lift. I have always done all my own maintenance work, have torn down bikes to the crankset, and have built bikes from boxes of parts.

I work at a large company that has been in the motorcycle OEM and aftermarket accessory business for 75+ years. I am surrounded by 50-60 bikes at all time. They are in the lobby, in the hallways, in the photo studio, in the garage, in the parking lot, in the factory. My desk is covered with motorcycle stuff. I make motorcycle ads, catalogs, tradeshow material, product design and more. I am photo-retouching photos of a new product on a new bike that I shot just an hour ago. There are almost 200 people here and almost everyone rides.

So when I consider the fact that for the past several years, I've hardly ridden at all, I attribute it to oversaturation.

I used to do at least two major bike trips every summer -- Chicago to Canada, Chicago to Texas, Chicago to Tennessee, Chicago to Colorado, etc. I keep a map of every state I've ridden in.

This year, I don't think my mileage even hit 500. I never even left the state. It's pitiful for someone like me.

There is just too much motorcycle in my life. When the weekends come, I don't ride. I drive my truck and shooting gear to the range and shoot.

I've shot fifteen NRA High Power matches this year, four M1 Carbine matches, and four Mini-Palma matches this season. When I don't shoot in a match, I practice for one. When I don't practice, I reload ammo. When I don't reload, I gunsmith, tinker or read gun books.

Over the past five years, my gun collection has quadrupled.

Maybe someday I'll get burned out on guns and go back to being a full-time motorcycle rider...

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:19:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Rode for 20 years. Mostly sportbikes, my last being a Hayabusa. I gave it up because I have 3 small children and there are to many idiots on the road. The way I like to ride is mainly for the track anyway and I cant justify the disposable income for that.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:34:04 PM EDT
[#18]
The last ten years have been ultra busy with my main business along with getting in the rental property gig with a bunch of townhouses. Done 30 remodels on top of my day job and chased the youngest son all over Texas swimming through four years of high school. Although I have restored and sold quite a few bikes over the last ten years (job #3), my vintage dirt bike racing for the most part got mothballed. Really looking forward to getting back to it. Turning 50 next year and the appeal of racing may be fading. Not much beats a good day on a nicely prepped track though!

Part of the mothball fleet.

Where I want to be.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:57:36 PM EDT
[#19]

I truly want to thank all of you who've responded and for sharing your experiences, with motorcycling being such an integral part of my life for so many years the decision to hang up the helmet and leathers doesn't come easily and I suspect I am a bit burned out and perhaps it's time to explore other riding experiences, adventure touring motorcycles like the BMW R1200GS certainly do look enticing and with so many opportunities in Michigan to get away from things and still be on 2 wheels, the options are there.  I don't see me giving up a big HD cruiser for rolling out occasionally, just got to watch out for the zombies with their phones...

With winter fast approaching I'll be prepping my HD for her winter sleep this weekend and I need to finish my restoration of the Shovelhead so the time to consider the options is going to be forced on me...Come spring, I suspect an adventure touring bike will be sitting alongside the HD's in the garage... Ride safe...

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:01:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Gave it up when my daughter was born 6 yrs ago.  My landscaper had just been crippled in an accident.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:04:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Oh MY!!!

With a trials bike rear tire to BOOT.

Next year my 530  turns into a 500 or a 690, if I go 690, then I'll need a companion 300xc!!

I don't ride the street much, but my dirt bike has a plate, and next Sept. I'll ride the Western Trans America trail with some good riding friends.  I love riding in the dirt, I have as much fun riding as I do hanging out with with the riders(including my kids), I'm not close to stop riding.

This year we bought a UTV, it's a great family outdoor vehicle!! and fun as hell.

Quoted:
http://www.vaq34.com/junk/2013_ktm_xc-w_plated_001.jpg
Nope, not gonna stop riding...
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:06:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I am considering turning a shovelhead, a evo chopper, and a bad ass old school Triumph chopper into a good down payment on an old Camaro.  Pretty sure I can get $15,000 for the bikes, which would pay for half of the $30K I need for an incredible 69 Z28 454 4 speed Camaro a buddy is selling.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:06:43 PM EDT
[#23]
At 51 I average about 10k miles a year. Rode today and will do it again tomorrow.....of course I may drive the car Saturday as we are getting a cold blast....HaHa. I've only been down twice on the street. I ride a great old guy bike so mostly I cruise. I can scrape the pegs and see triple digits from time to time - but mostly I ride like the old guy I am.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:16:41 PM EDT
[#24]

I gave it up when I turned 60. I figured I had tempted fate enough.

I'd still love to do it but the level of driving expertise by cagers has plummeted in my lifetime.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:38:55 PM EDT
[#25]
I was coming back from a road trip 13 years ago and passed by a used ninja 250 in mint condition that I bought on the spot.  I had never been on a bike before so my buddy drove it the last few miles home.  I taught myself to ride and quickly upgraded to a cruiser and rode all over.  I stopped riding about the time the iphone came out and drivers paid less attention.  Drivers today are very distracted or maybe I'm a wuss.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:43:32 PM EDT
[#26]
New Years Eve 1986 was out for a ride on a country road after dark and passed a car that had just opened the door to let the GSD dog out to piss and I hit him doing about 60 after slowing down. I was 35.

Five days in the ICU and months before walking right . My days in the crash house were spent thinking of all the stuff that I had not done yet. My 10 year old  son and I made a pact to never jump on a bike again.

Have always been a boat guy anyway and the wind will blow thru the hair just not as fast. I did dream about being on the bike for several years but it has stopped.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:50:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:51:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Applicable thread is applicable.  I've ridden bIke's since 1980. Everything but cruisers. Drag raced, road raced, hare scrambles. I've seen a lot. Good connections in the industry. Spent a decade as a pro tech. It has defined a great portion of my life. My screen name is a give away.

The highs and lows have been there. A perfect Sunday morning with clean curves and no traffic. First place Saturday night at the dragstrip. Wide open on the highbank at Charlotte Motor Speedway. A relaxing Friday night wrenching with friends in the garage.

Seeing a friend swing a leg over a bike for the last time. His next ride would be in a BK117 on the way to a hospital where he would be told he would never walk again. Turning wrenches in the Yamaha shop when the news comes that another good friend had just lost his life in turn 5 at Road Atlanta. I was the one that convinced him to go racing. Watching with my own eyes a soon to be father pile up against a high wall after an impromptu street race. Nearly nothing left of the bike or rider.

The pleasure and pain are woven all through motorcycling. I had ridden thousands of miles every year until about 5 years ago. Distractions, other hobbies, family, you name it. The riding time was less and less. The bottom fell out in 2013. I didn't ride one mile. It almost happened again this year. But something got at me. I gave the ZRX a once over, replaced the battery, and got my riding gear in order. A perfect Saturday morning presented itself and I was off. Tentative and a bit rusty at first, but with an alarming quickness the fundamentals were back and I fell into a groove that for decades I've known all to well. The reason I started and the sensation that drove me for all those years was returned to the proper place.

I'm excited about next spring. The bike will be shod with new rubber and a fresh tune. I have learned that if riding isn't doing for you what you need it to then you aren't doing for riding what you need to be doing. Change it up. Change bikes. Change styles. Learn a new skill. Make it new again. In a way I gave it up, but it came back to me, and I'm glad.

Be careful.

P. S.

Bike pic.

ZRXGB by zweitakt250, on Flickr
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:24:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Applicable thread is applicable.  I've ridden bIke's since 1980. Everything but cruisers. Drag raced, road raced, hare scrambles. I've seen a lot. Good connections in the industry. Spent a decade as a pro tech. It has defined a great portion of my life. My screen name is a give away.

The highs and lows have been there. A perfect Sunday morning with clean curves and no traffic. First place Saturday night at the dragstrip. Wide open on the highbank at Charlotte Motor Speedway. A relaxing Friday night wrenching with friends in the garage.

Seeing a friend swing a leg over a bike for the last time. His next ride would be in a BK117 on the way to a hospital where he would be told he would never walk again. Turning wrenches in the Yamaha shop when the news comes that another good friend had just lost his life in turn 5 at Road Atlanta. I was the one that convinced him to go racing. Watching with my own eyes a soon to be father pile up against a high wall after an impromptu street race. Nearly nothing left of the bike or rider.

The pleasure and pain are woven all through motorcycling. I had ridden thousands of miles every year until about 5 years ago. Distractions, other hobbies, family, you name it. The riding time was less and less. The bottom fell out in 2013. I didn't ride one mile. It almost happened again this year. But something got at me. I gave the ZRX a once over, replaced the battery, and got my riding gear in order. A perfect Saturday morning presented itself and I was off. Tentative and a bit rusty at first, but with an alarming quickness the fundamentals were back and I fell into a groove that for decades I've known all to well. The reason I started and the sensation that drove me for all those years was returned to the proper place.

I'm excited about next spring. The bike will be shod with new rubber and a fresh tune. I have learned that if riding isn't doing for you what you need it to then you aren't doing for riding what you need to be doing. Change it up. Change bikes. Change styles. Learn a new skill. Make it new again. In a way I gave it up, but it came back to me, and I'm glad.

Be careful.

P. S.

Bike pic.

[email=https://www.flickr.com/photos/41385771@N03/6239652966/]https://farm7.staticflickr.com/6095/6239652966_f75a5bf0ff_z.jpg[/email]
ZRXGB by zweitakt250, on Flickr
View Quote

Those are true words of wisdom...  

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:31:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I cruise around town a bit but no more long trips or highway. Too many idiots out there.
View Quote

I go on long trips on the back roads. Too many idiots around town.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:37:59 PM EDT
[#31]
I rode a total of 100,000 miles on sport bikes. 1 low side crash, 1 high side crash, and 1 crash where I wasn't even moving (truck rear ended me at a stop light when it's brakes failed - 35 MPH impact speed).

If you ride enough on the street, you're going to taste the pavement.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:42:50 PM EDT
[#32]

Current bikes.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:48:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Have ridin since I was 8 on dirt bikes. Loved just being up in the mountains. Started to move to street, as it was the next step. Never was in to it but got a dual sport to at least get me to the trails, just to many stories of dangerous drivers.  This was at age 34, bought a KLR 650 and made it exactly 30 miles on my way home with it, and a little old lady in a Prius decided to not pay attention, and pull out in front of me. 45mph dead stop in her car door, and 7 days in the ICU.  I had a 1 and a 3 year old at home waiting to see my new bike.

You know what I am doing tomorrow, going and picking up a KTM 525 dual sport.  I will forever stay off the roads, but only death will keep me out of the mud. Been riding an XR400 for the last year.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:53:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I rode a total of 100,000 miles on sport bikes. 1 low side crash, 1 high side crash, and 1 crash where I wasn't even moving (truck rear ended me at a stop light when it's brakes failed - 35 MPH impact speed).

View Quote

Very true - and it don't taste too good.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:00:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Didnt bother after moving from the northeast, no twisties down here.  Its too hot, flat and rainy to put up with snowbirds and illegals to ride.  Got a convertible 2 seater, works better in florida.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:05:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even now when I grate cheese, I feel sorry for the cheese.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:06:00 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm 54 and gave it up about two years ago.  I'd ridden all my life, since I was 9 or 10 years old.  Rode and raced dirt bikes when I was younger, then got into touring and traveled from coast to coast.  Back problems finally forced me to give it up.  I haven't missed it like I thought I would, I've gotten back into fishing and am enjoying that now.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:09:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Have you thought about getting a Go-Pro and video taping some of your rides?

Before you give it all up with all the money, time , and I'm sure joy along the way you should get some good video you can watch when you're a senior citizen to reflect on how awesome you life has been brother.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:17:00 PM EDT
[#39]
I've been riding/racing dirt since I was 4. Been riding street since '02. Logged around 75,000 miles on 2 wheels. I don't think I'll ever not be a rider. As long as I can sling a leg across the seat, I'll be riding something. It's in my blood and it's actually part of me.

My boys (7&8) have been riding since they were 3, and they are GOOD little riders. I do ride with them more than I do alone, but I still take a trip when I can. I actually look very forward to riding with them as they grow. I would have LOVED if my Dad would have rode with me.

Our current stable is:
'77 Suzuki JR50 (my first)
'06 Suzuki JR50 (x2)  (boys' first)
'14 Kawasaki KLX 110
'03 Yamaha TTR 125
'00 Yamaha YZ 250
'09 Yamaha YZ 250
'13 Kawasaki Ninja 1000

Actually, I can't imagine ever not having a motorcycle of some kind in the garage.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:20:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Sold my bike to my Kid this year. Broke my heart to do it. Been riding since I was 15. I destroyed my right bicep a few years back, and just can't ride safely, or comfortably anymore.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:26:47 PM EDT
[#41]
well it's my first year riding and the wife and I hit 10k miles. not to bad for being 52 years old.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:36:12 PM EDT
[#42]
after 31 years I am selling my last motorcycle. Im done.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:40:46 PM EDT
[#43]
None of this "giving up riding" computes with me.

Maybe because for me it's not a hobby, but simply who I am.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:42:17 PM EDT
[#44]
If I rode a Harley I'd give it up too.

FZ-09 is where it's at.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:28:53 PM EDT
[#45]
In the early 2000s, I rode many miles. It was seriously fun and I had no fear.

I still have my license and I think I might let it lapse on my next renewal. Drivers are now too distracted with cell phones and other gadgets now; I do not want to be killed by someone trying to drive while texting and attempting to control their children at the same time.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:31:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Owned many bikes in my life.
I gave it up a few years ago.
Too many assholes on the road.
Weather isn't the best in Ohio for riding.
Just wasn't as fun anymore.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:40:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Sold my 02 RC51 in 09, the risk of getting hurt isn't worth it when you work construction.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:58:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Sold my 02 RC51 in '09........
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:06:43 PM EDT
[#49]
I rode the street for a year or two. Back to the dirt for me. To many dumb people and I want to go fast so it's a bad mix for me.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:15:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

People in cars don't pay attention like they used to, too much texting.
View Quote

It's not just the texting, it's EVERYTHING, the touch screen radios, satnav, other people, food, etc.

People just aren't scared of accidents anymore.

I quit riding last year after 10 years, I feel cities are safer than "out in the country" even with the inattentive drivers.  You can at least use other vehicles to your advantage as shields in the city.

Too many people on backroads crossing center lines, with no shoulders, etc.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top