Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2014 7:37:21 AM EDT
Does it bother anybody else how companies display their "cash" price on their website knowing full well that they add 3% for all orders via a CC fee? It just seems to me that since the majority of your internet orders involve a card of some type that it would be better to just display your full price and offer a 3% discount for cash if that's what you want. Maybe its just me but its one those things that makes me go "Really?".
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:39:00 AM EDT
[#1]
They always make me almost consider sending in an MO...almost...
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:46:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Personally, I always read the terms and conditions before I get too interested in making a purchase.

FWIW- The credit card companies prohibit the practice of upcharging customers for CC use are not amused by vendors calling it a "cash discount" either. If you appear on their radar they can and often will terminate your ability to accept credit cards for payment which would put most online retailers out of business.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:49:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I think it is just as much BS that the Card companies charge the business for you to use your card there. A lot of the little guys pass the charge on to there customers that are inducing the charges.

Places like Buds Guns show you both prices up front, a Cash discount price and a "retail" price.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:52:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Personally, I always read the terms and conditions before I get too interested in making a purchase.

FWIW- The credit card companies prohibit the practice of upcharging customers for CC use are not amused by vendors calling it a "cash discount" either. If you appear on their radar they can and often will terminate your ability to accept credit cards for payment which would put most online retailers out of business.
View Quote

The end result of that is that all prices go up 3% and the sellers pocket the extra from cash.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:54:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think it is just as much BS that the Card companies charge the business for you to use your card there. A lot of the little guys pass the charge on to there customers that are inducing the charges.

Places like Buds Guns show you both prices up front, a Cash discount price and a "retail" price.
View Quote

Would you rather pay it? They're not going to provide the service for free.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:36:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Against the law in some states, a fucked law, but never the less.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:53:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd like to know WHO in the retail side is paying 3% for their CC processing ? ? ? ?

We're just a small Co. , our CC processing fees are UNDER 1.5%

Must be the same people who walk into a car dealership and pay sticker price.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:58:25 AM EDT
[#8]
CC fee to a business is dependent upon several factors

Number and size of transactions, and whether or not the card is physically swiped are the two ones that carry the most weight.

We run a small number of high dollar transactions without the card present and get hosed way worse than 3% in CC fees-and this was after extensive shopping around.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:08:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd like to know WHO in the retail side is paying 3% for their CC processing ? ? ? ?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That guy
l
l
V

Quoted:
CC fee to a business is dependent upon several factors

Number and size of transactions, and whether or not the card is physically swiped are the two ones that carry the most weight.

We run a small number of high dollar transactions without the card present and get hosed way worse than 3% in CC fees-and this was after extensive shopping around.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:34:17 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote
I highly doubt those fees are under 1.5%.  Interchange on cards hovers right around 2% as an average.  Either you are paying more than you think or your merchant provider is getting hosed.  

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I highly doubt those fees are under 1.5%.  Interchange on cards hovers right around 2% as an average.  Either you are paying more than you think or your merchant provider is getting hosed.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree, american express charges more than that.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:58:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Yep!  It is the cost of doing business.  If they do not like do not accept credit cards.  Chicken shit!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:13:17 AM EDT
[#13]
yeah a retailer that derives most of their revenue online that advertises cash prices can suck a chode.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:37:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Card not present transactions combined with other factors make 3% a typical amount for small online retailers.  That's minimum, if someone uses a rewards card it can be 5 to 6%.  

Is your fee 1.5% even for rewards cards, and Discover/Amex?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:40:01 AM EDT
[#15]
I only look at the final price.
I dont care how the company breaks it down, product,shipping,tax,blah blah blah.
If the final price is a price Im willing to pay then thats all that matters.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:42:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

What processor do you use? I pay about 2.5% to accept CCs and it had been far more with others in the past.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top