User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:31:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got my wife a big set of All Clad from Williams-Sonoma a few years ago. Don't let the price deter you, it makes the best hamburger helper.
View Quote

. . .
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:46:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

+87

Not a Christmas gift if you like pie.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
DO not get pans for Christmas presents.    You will be in the dog house for quite a while.   Speaking from experience.
go with cast iron.

+87

Not a Christmas gift if you like pie.

If she had a "meltdown" over cookware it sounds like she actually likes cooking and probably wouldn't mind it.  Yeah if she cooks because she has to it's a shitty gift but if she's the type that watches food network she'll probably appreciate it.

Cooking and baking is the only hobby/recreational activity my wife has - she loves the kItchenware that I get her.  This year it will probably be a high end knife set.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:33:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Get a set of Farberware. We're still using the set we got for our wedding in 1976.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:38:35 AM EDT
[#4]
We just bought a new set at Bed, Bath and Beyond.

It's a Calphalon Contemporary 11-piece set. Normal price is 399.99. It was on sale for 339.99. We used one of their 20% off coupons on top of the sale price.

The flyer mailed out also had two bonuses if you bought the set.

1) a $50 gift card
2) a free Calphalon Unison 12" skillet (normal price $184.99)

I'm thinking about picking up another set for my daughter.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:38:44 AM EDT
[#5]
You're going to buy your wife cooking pots for Xmas, what's next a vacuum for her birthday?

Don't be cheap buy the pots if you need new ones in the house and still get her a Xmas gift
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:40:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I use the glass Corning pots they work great and are easy to clean . . If you get her those for Christmas you might want to look at couches. I also have a couple of Stainless pots with heavy stainless bottoms that work well . I like an idiot let an ex GF take my cast iron skillet
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:45:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I asked her what she wants and you can imagine how constructive that conversation was if I've resorted to GD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell us about her cooking habits. Then let her pick the set she wants.

I asked her what she wants and you can imagine how constructive that conversation was if I've resorted to GD.

as a fellow married guy that post killed me.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:52:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Cuisinart SS Clad bottom

We have an older set that was given to us as a gift by my wife's sister. It works well but the lids are funky and have a steel band that surrounds the glass and when dented will not seal well. If you are hard on pots and pans do not buy enamal plated cast iron. If you are clumsy do not buy enamal plated cookware. I purchased a LeCruset stock pot and it is ruined by my wife dropping it on the floor. The enamal has cracked off the handles and large chips out of the bottom. It fires me up evrytime I see it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:12:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd stay away from enameled cast iron pots like Le Creuset.  The enamel can get scratched over time (especially when your mom uses metal spoons in them) and the coating can fail when using malt powder to make bagels.

Stick to stainless for all stock pots.

For non-stick, just get what they sell at Sam's Club or Costco or a restaurant supply store.  They will wear out after a few years, so no sense spending a fortune.

A cast iron skillet or steel skillet that requires seasoning should be tried by everyone at some point...it will allow you to feel smug (if mastered) or to appreciate the convenience of stainless steel.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:15:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So my wife had a mini-meltdown today over the condition of our pots and pans. So, naturally, I'm going to get her new ones for my own personal safety. I'll make it a Christmas gift - kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

I don't know anything about them so I am looking for recommendations on brands, styles, etc...

View Quote

DO NOT GIVE POTS AND PANS AS A CHRISTMAS GIFT. THIS IS A TERRIBLE IDEA.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:21:23 AM EDT
[#11]

What happened to the rules.   Still waiting on OP's wife pic cooking with old pots and pans.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:24:00 AM EDT
[#12]
i do the cooking in our house.  i worked in a few restaurants during my extended tour through college.  i will say this, stay away from that non-stick coating shit.  the nonstick mess ALWAYS flakes off eventually.  Go with stainless steel.  my parents got me a really nice set of calphalon or however you spell it for Christmas last year.  you can scrub them to brand shiny new with a scotch pad after each use.  no nonstick flaking to come off and get in your food.  it cant be good to eat that shit.  they are pricey though, i think my set was around $500.  got to bed, bath and beyond, they always have 20% off coupons they are giving out.

i think every house needs 1-2 cast iron pans too.  those are much cheaper though.  just don't fuck them up by washing them.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:26:20 AM EDT
[#13]
All-Clad copper core have treated me well. Some people don't like cooking on stainless since stuff sticks but it does not bother me and you can scrub the pan and not have to worry about scratching it up.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:36:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a bunch of different kinds of cookware -- cheap teflon, lots of cast iron, and now I'm starting to slowly buy All-Clad stainless/D5/copper core depending on what I can find.

Here's the deal:

• Teflon or other generic non-stick coatings work great for really sticky stuff (e.g.: eggs), but you'll have difficulties browning things, and you can't throw it in the oven.  It's easy to screw up if you accidentally forget to use silicone or wood utensils and you stir it with a fork or try to cut something in it with a knife.  Cheaper teflon pans usually have a round 'disc' of aluminum on the bottom that acts as the heat conductor.  This works "ok" (but not great) for transferring heat to the pan, but you'll probably end up with hot spots, and the sides of the skillet or pot won't really heat up.  You'll literally end up with a round hot-spot where stuff cooks, and outside of that it'll be about useless.  Boil some water in one of these skillets one time and you'll see what I mean: bubbles where the heat disc is, no bubbles anywhere else.  HIgher-quality non-stick pans won't have that heat disc so they'll work a bit better, but they'll still be easily damaged.

• Cast iron is a labor of love.  It heats up and cools down slowly, but the large thermal mass really retains that heat for a long time.  If it isn't seasoned already, cast iron must be "seasoned" before use, which essentially means coating it with a very thin layer of grease and throwing it in the oven for awhile to harden/carbonize/whatever the word is to start a natural non-stick coating.  Each time you use it it'll get a bit more non-stick.  Eventually it'll be slick as ice.  Today's cast iron made by Lodge is made in the USA, and is great for heavy-duty jobs like searing a ribeye on the stove and throwing it in the oven at 500F.  It comes from their factory with a crappy pre-seasoning job so you might want to season it after you buy it, a few times.  Google it for more info.  If you screw up the seasoning layer you can throw it in the oven on the self-cleaning cycle to kill it, and then start over.

• The newer cast iron from Lodge is pretty thick and heavy, and they don't machine down the surface so it is pretty bumpy until you slowly flatten it out with use and seasoning layers.  A 12" skillet is maybe $20 from Amazon, and all their stuff is comparatively cheap.  The dutch ovens are great for "low and slow" cooking, and some are specifically made to use on a campfire.

• Older cast iron from companies like Griswold are thinner, made with higher-quality iron, and they machined the cooking surface so it is already super smooth to start out.  They're great for everyday cooking, but I prefer the newer stuff for the higher-heat/heavy-duty applications.  The older stuff will be slightly more expensive, if you can find it.

• Here is a great comparison of old vs. new cast iron, and an informative website about cast iron cooking.

Cast iron is heavy, so your wife might dislike cooking with the larger skillets unless she has some muscle on her.

Enamled cast iron (Le Creuset [made in France], Lodge [made in China], others) is nice as well. It has a layer of enamel bonded to the cast iron for a long-lasting easy to clean finish.  Great for low and slow cooking, can be used on these stove and in the oven, and easier to clean and take care of.  Le Creuset is generally considered the best, but you'll pay an arm and a leg.

• Stainless: more expensive than non-stick or cast iron, produces great browning, can be used both on the stove and in the oven.  You can find it from "pretty cheap" to "eye-popping expensive" depending on the manufacturer and technology.  "Clad" stainless is generally the best: it has a layer of aluminum sandwiched between two layers of stainless, or even more layers depending on the manufacturer/line.  The stainless is there for the cooking surface while the aluminum is the heat transferring layer.  Some companies put more layers inside: All-Clad's D5 line puts in a layer of steel inside the layer of aluminum for a 5-layered product.  Some companies have even more layers.  These higher-quality products will be heavier, more responsive for heating, and require less heat to get hotter.  They do a great job and cost a good bit of money.  The cladding layers of alternating metals usually encompass the entire product instead of just a round disc on the bottom, so the entire thing heats up.  In higher quality pots and skillets you can see bubbles coming off the sides if you're boiling water -- a good indication that you'll got a higher quality product.  Clean-up can take a bit longer, but they're dishwasher safe.  Bar Keeper's Friend will help keep them shiny.

• Copper: Generally super expensive, but copper cookware (Mauviel [made in France], All-Clad Copper Core [made in USA], other foreign brands) is considered "the best" for cookware that absolutely requires super-precise heat control and fast heating up or fast cooling.  Copper transmits heat very quickly and evenly.  You can go broke very quickly buying a copper set.

Some general info:

• You can find good quality reduced price "seconds" (skillets and such that aren't perfect from the factor but still work just fine) at stores like TJ Maxx, Marshall's, Home Goods, and Tuesday Morning.  They also sell overstocked products that other stores couldn't sell, so some of their cookware might be the normal stuff that is perfect but didn't sell and they just needed to move product.  That's where I'm slowly acquiring all my All-Clad cookware.  Usually they're at least half-off.

• Try to get pots that have a pouring lip, unless you like dripping liquids as you pour it out of the pot.

• If you get cast iron: get new Lodge, used Griswold or older brands, and factory seconds for Le Creuset at places like I mentioned above.  Unless you're just made of money.

• On higher quality cookware, you'll probably need to use a lower heat setting than you're used to using.

• Cast iron doesn't go in the dishwasher.  Google more about use and care.

• Copper cookware is usually not considered dishwasher safe; eventually the detergent will discolor is pretty badly.

• You'll slowly want to acquire multiple sizes of skillets and pots.  Cooking for 1?  You probably don't need to use a 12" skillet.  Got some friends over and you're cooking a bunch of steaks?  That 14" All-Clad skillet might be a good investment.  Or maybe even a Lodge 15" or 17", if you're a weightlifter.

As for me: I'm slowly getting rid of my older non-stick stuff and switching almost entirely to cast iron and stainless/copper just depending on what I can find for cheap at Marshall's or Home Goods.  I'll probably buy a nice non-stick skillet for eggs, though.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:39:04 AM EDT
[#15]
The type of cookware is usually driven by the style of cooking and the quantity of food prepared. Getting the right sizes is just as important as getting the right types. If you think of them as "tools" for the kitchen and consider that perspective, it may be an easier process. And there is nothing wrong with mixing and matching. There are legitimate uses for cast iron, copper, stainless steel, aluminum, non stick and not every manufacturer works with every material. There are definitely quality and design differences, but you don't have to spend a ton for high performance cookware. In the past twenty years manufacturing has improved dramatically and lowered the costs as well.

I'd look at the pans she has now and try to figure out which she uses most often and where there might be room for improvement. Then look at a website like Williams and Sonoma to get a feel for the options and prices. You don't have to buy there, but it's probably the most convenient place to browse for variety. Cutlery and More also has a good cookware section with descriptions that might be useful to you.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:39:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Cast iron is a labor of love, and not one many wives are going to want to deal with.

Stainless steel is really not good for frying.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you don't want to "mess"  with Cast Iron ( shame on you ) then just go with stainless steel and forget everything else.

Cast iron is a labor of love, and not one many wives are going to want to deal with.

Stainless steel is really not good for frying.

This.  I do most of the cooking and I have a lot of cast iron but I mainly reserve it for frying and making cornbread.  Most days I use a Baker's and Chef's nonstick skillet (from Sam's & made in USA) and a set of stainless pots simply for ease of clean-up.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:40:13 AM EDT
[#17]
cook ware as a gift?
Oh yeah...
get her a vacuum  and a pair of rubber gloves while your at it.

Holy crap...
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:46:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So my wife had a mini-meltdown today over the condition of our pots and pans. So, naturally, I'm going to get her new ones for my own personal safety. I'll make it a Christmas gift - kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

I don't know anything about them so I am looking for recommendations on brands, styles, etc...

I think this really depends on the recipient. My wife was more excited about getting her All-Clad cookware years ago than she was about the new car she got a few weeks ago.

Go figure
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:48:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on the person.  I would love a nice set of All-Clad, Mauviel, or Le Creuset as a Christmas Gift.  Heck, my mom just bought me an All-Clad 10" Copper Core fry pan as an early birthday present and I was pretty damn happy with that.

But I'm a guy and I prefer "useful" gifts.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:49:04 AM EDT
[#20]
AllClad. If you want, wait until the Macy's One day sale in late November... You'll save 20%.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:51:37 AM EDT
[#21]
All I know, is when I was 10 years old mom had been complaining about her cookware. Dad went out and got her a really nice expensive set, genuinely thinking he was doing something nice. She went completely psycho and ruined Christmas. Chucked a skillet through a window. So I will never get a woman anything like that for Christmas myself.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:53:17 AM EDT
[#22]
TL;DR the whole thread

What kind of range do you guys have? If electric, you want a tri-ply. It's really tough to find a full tri-ply set (where the walls are tri-ply as well, not just the base). Basically, your options are All-Clad and Calphalon One for US made stuff. Think $700 for a set.

On Amazon, there is a brand called Duxtop. They're made in China, but very high quality. A set comparable to the $700 made in the USA set will run you like $200.

I went with the Duxtops.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:54:16 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Are you a Costco member? If so buy the stainless set there. We are going on 11 years with ours and they are the best cookware we have ever had.  If you are not a Costco memmember, I suggest contacting a divorce attorney.
View Quote

I'll definitely second this.

I do a lot of cooking and bought a Cuisinart Chef's Classic stainless set at Costco a few years ago. It's the set with the "high impact bonded base." I love cooking on stainless, and it's so easy to clean up with a small brillo pad. It also heats up a hell of a lot faster than my nonstick stuff.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:58:35 AM EDT
[#24]
The term "Pots & Pans" has been forever ruined by Sean Astin, the bastard.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:38:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Are you a Costco member? If so buy the stainless set there. We are going on 11 years with ours and they are the best cookware we have ever had.  If you are not a Costco memmember, I suggest contacting a divorce attorney.
View Quote

+1

It's a great set. I'm pretty sure it's either all-clad or circulon
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:53:12 AM EDT
[#26]
All clad is basically a lifetime investment.  It's really that good.  Tri ply is fine, you don't need D5.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:57:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Go get yourself some a clad at a discount.  Buy once cry once.  Wife thought I was nuts buying it and years later the stuff looks new.  http://www.cookwarenmore.com
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:58:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
All clad is basically a lifetime investment.  It's really that good.  Tri ply is fine, you don't need D5.
View Quote

Blasphemy!!!11!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:59:51 AM EDT
[#29]
I've been slowly replacing all of my non-cast iron cookware with All-Clad.

It's expensive, but...I'll only need to do it once. I really love the stuff. It's the little details.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:03:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It's expensive, but...I'll only need to do it once. I really love the stuff. It's the little details.
View Quote

My local Marshall's has a 13" D5 french skillet (with lid) for $100. I'm considering snagging it.  Nice, large cooking surface.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:07:04 AM EDT
[#31]
We have Le Creuset stainless cookware. It seems to be pretty nice. We also have one of their non-stick sautee pans for things like eggs and potatoes that tend to stick easily.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:11:28 AM EDT
[#32]
I like my all-clad stuff, but it's expensive. And unless cooking is a big deal in your home it may be hard to justify the expense. Costco makes some nice, fairly cheap pans.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:11:49 AM EDT
[#33]
bought a stainless pan set from sears when we first got our house
cost about $300 and really been impressed with them sorry I dont have a brand right now but will look later tonight
just be sure they are oven safe

I highly recommend the non stick bakers and chefs pans from sams clubs
they are cheap pans and I bought them for a one time use thing but ended up really liking them
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:22:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

My local Marshall's has a 13" D5 french skillet (with lid) for $100. I'm considering snagging it.  Nice, large cooking surface.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats sounds like a good deal. The set I bought was something like $1500. They are vey nice.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:27:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Thats sounds like a good deal. The set I bought was something like $1500. They are vey nice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amazon has it for $260, so I'd say $100 is a good deal. Money is a bit tight these days though. Can't really justify that kind of purchase right now.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:37:50 PM EDT
[#36]
You guys see that All-Clad finally came out with a fully copper-clad line?  Apparently only sold at Bloomingdale's.  Just copper and a layer of 18/10 stainless for the cooking surface.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:14:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Well... It's pretty, I'll give them that...

This is kind of neat, shows which of their lines is crap and which aren't http://www.calphalon.com/Product-Support/Pages/Comparison-Guides-Home.aspx
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:31:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Well... It's pretty, I'll give them that...

This is kind of neat, shows which of their lines is crap and which aren't http://www.calphalon.com/Product-Support/Pages/Comparison-Guides-Home.aspx
View Quote

Yeah, they look nice but I think the cost outweighs the benefits.  $470 for a 3-quart saute pan + lid.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:33:01 PM EDT
[#39]
We have all-clad. Had them since july so I cant speak on the durability of them, but we like them so far.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:33:57 PM EDT
[#40]
My Mauviel coppers took me years to accumulate and cost me a fortune. If my wife even attempts to ise one Ill scream at her as she trashed the tin lining on one of the first ones I bought. Besides they're far too heavy for her to even pick up. Shes also scared to death of my knives as she nicked herself once and felt like she almost bled to death. Serious cooking in my house is done by me, mis en place and all with Whustofs primarily and Mauviels

She cooks with the all clad heavyweights which are actually nice pans. She lucky I let her make sauerbraten in the LeCreuset
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:37:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Couple of eggs and bacon breakfasts, and the things are pretty much non-stick, and done seasoning, and just get better from there, without any of the fuss of Cast Iron some people shy away from. Soap, water, and an occasional scuzz pad wont hurt them.

View Quote

I do the same with my cast iron, there's no need for all the gyrations people go through with cast iron pans.  They're made of cast iron!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:39:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I got my wife a big set of All Clad from Williams-Sonoma a few years ago. Don't let the price deter you, it makes the best hamburger helper.
View Quote

That's funny, I don't care who you are.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:40:43 PM EDT
[#43]
$100 bucks or so will buy a nice set that will easily last you 5-7 years or more ( depending on usage )

I picked up a new set from Kohls last Christmas using a coupon and a huge instore markdown / clearance. original price was $300+ I got the entire set for around $75 I think after tax

You can spend $200-400 if you are a schnobb .... but IMHO you are just throwing away money

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:42:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Fixed that one thing but this is correct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One 12" lodge cast iron frying pan
One big copper pot with lid
One big enamel covered cast iron dutch over
One big aluminium stainless pot for cooking noodles and such.

That should cover all her needs.

Fixed that one thing but this is correct.

Good catch. I had drank most of a bottle of gin when I wrote the list
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The term "Pots & Pans" has been forever ruined by Sean Astin, the bastard.

http://i.imgur.com/0wSh4jD.jpg
View Quote

Chappy and The Gunny in the same movie, what's not to love?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:41:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
My wife is very happy with her All-Clad cookware LINK

I don't know much about them - aside from what they cost.
View Quote

All-Clad is the best as far as I'm concerned.  Commercial grade stuff.  Some of their new stuff doesn't seem as heavy duty as the old stuff, but I have one pot and a wok that have been going strong for about 25yrs.  My mom gave them to me when I got my first place.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:20:22 PM EDT
[#47]
This set is a bargain: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-8-Piece-Cookware-Set/5716478  Is it up to the quality of All-Clad?  Not in a million years.  Is it a great set that you can take home today for less than a single All-Clad skillet?  Absolutely.

I've had the Target version (by Chefmate) for ten years.  They're my go-to cookware--I use them very heavily and they're still in great shape.  Over the years I've added a covered 12-inch saute (the Tramontina one from Walmart), a 12-inch non-stick pan, my various cast iron pieces, and a cheap 8-qt stockpot/steamer.  I can knock out an entire Thanksgiving day (breakfast, too) for my family of six with my setup.

I hate disc-bottom pans.  The joint never seems to get clean, and the balance and feel is just all wrong when cooking.

Also, the bargain set means you can just go get them without needing to make it a Christmas gift (dude, really?).
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top