Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/30/2014 1:02:08 AM EDT
So my wife had a mini-meltdown today over the condition of our pots and pans. So, naturally, I'm going to get her new ones for my own personal safety. I'll make it a Christmas gift - kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

I don't know anything about them so I am looking for recommendations on brands, styles, etc...

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:05:02 AM EDT
[#1]

Not another pot thread....... ugh...... so many stoners.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:05:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Tell us about her cooking habits. Then let her pick the set she wants.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:05:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I am thinking about the same thing for Christmas as well....

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:07:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I would recommend Lodge cast iron pans, but if she does the cooking she might not like the weight of them. My girlfriend won't touch my cast iron pizza pan.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:08:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I asked her what she wants and you can imagine how constructive that conversation was if I've resorted to GD.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:09:13 AM EDT
[#6]
My wife is very happy with her All-Clad cookware LINK

I don't know much about them - aside from what they cost.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:10:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Are you a Costco member? If so buy the stainless set there. We are going on 11 years with ours and they are the best cookware we have ever had.  If you are not a Costco memmember, I suggest contacting a divorce attorney.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:14:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Are you a Costco member? If so buy the stainless set there. We are going on 11 years with ours and they are the best cookware we have ever had.  If you are not a Costco memmember, I suggest contacting a divorce attorney.
View Quote

I was a member. I've been meaning to go back - I'll check them out. Thanks.

An attorney will not be necessary.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:18:41 AM EDT
[#9]
If you're down with spending some $$$ Le Creuset makes some nice stuff.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:31:44 AM EDT
[#10]
It depends on what you want, check amazon for reviews. Almost all the brands have good and crappy lines too.

Brands to check out: calphalon, allclad, wolfgang puck, for cheaper stainless tfal is fine, but just do your research. The Costco set iirc is calphalon (they may have more than one though) and it is a pretty good value.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:48:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Get some quality cast iron cookware…… a couple of different size frying pans, dutch oven, and griddle at the minimum. We have about 13 different pieces of cast iron cookware.

Then get some quality heavy stainless steel to compliment it….. couple of different size pots, a good size frying pan, etc.

We mostly use our cast iron cookware but for high acidic stuff like tomato sauces etc. SS is the way to go.

We have purchased several pieces of SS at Walmart and it has proven to be good stuff and we are happy with it. We cook everyday.

If you don't want to "mess"  with Cast Iron ( shame on you ) then just go with stainless steel and forget everything else.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:52:55 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

So my wife had a mini-meltdown today over the condition of our pots and pans. So, naturally, I'm going to get her new ones for my own personal safety. I'll make it a Christmas gift - kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

I don't know anything about them so I am looking for recommendations on brands, styles, etc...

View Quote

I like versatility, plus ease of use and maintenance.

Stainless pots with quality handles, and anodized aluminum skillets. Covers all the bases.

You really don't have to pay a lot if you shop closeout stores and such, but even JC Pennys has good deals.

I have JC Pennys house brand skillets and excellent Farberware pots from a closeout place.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:54:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

If you don't want to "mess"  with Cast Iron ( shame on you ) then just go with stainless steel and forget everything else.
View Quote

Cast iron is a labor of love, and not one many wives are going to want to deal with.

Stainless steel is really not good for frying.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:07:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Nonstick has come a long way too, calphalon makes some nice nice pans...
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:13:44 AM EDT
[#15]
DO not get pans for Christmas presents.    You will be in the dog house for quite a while.   Speaking from experience.
go with cast iron.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:23:28 AM EDT
[#16]
So it takes a 13er to remind op and everyone else we have rulez? Gd I am disappoint........
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:24:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Don't we have a Cooking forum somewhere around here.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:33:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Start here: http://www.amazon.com/De-Buyer-Mineral-Inch-Fry/dp/B002S52X1E

As noted, DO NOT give it to her for Christmas, a birthday, Mothers day, Valentines, or within 3 days before or after any of the bullshit Hallmark hollidays.

Have her use the DeBuyer for inital seasoning and a couple months afterwards. Couple of eggs and bacon breakfasts, and the things are pretty much non-stick, and done seasoning, and just get better from there, without any of the fuss of Cast Iron some people shy away from. Soap, water, and an occasional scuzz pad wont hurt them.
She will have a whole new perspective on what cookware should actually be, and do.

From there, AFTER Christmas, during all the sales, snag what she thinks she likes and wants.
Odds are she wont tolerate any of the color coordinated, coated Aluminum welfare bullshit ever again.
This is a good thing in the long run. The color coordinated shit goes out of style, sucks to cook with, and only lasts a couple years.

Get her interested in buy once, cry once, quality stuff, that makes it easier to unleash the brilliant gourmet genius hiding under the dress, and will last a lifetime or five..;)

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:35:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Don't we have a Cooking forum somewhere around here.
View Quote

Lighten up Francis.

It's a broader amount of input here, and the cooking Forum is filled with us cookware Gear queers, and Pot snobs, that would have the guy investing 40K.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:44:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I asked her what she wants and you can imagine how constructive that conversation was if I've resorted to GD.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lemme guess. Communication through words, but more through rising and lowering tones, and nothing concrete?

Sorry man.
You have been issued a quest. Don't fail.
Grab the lance, get on the horse, and go slay Dragons...somewhere.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:50:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Sam's Club sells some USA Made Teflon frying pans, Bakers & Chefs or some such. I highly suspect they're made in Minnesota by Nordic Ware. Removable silicone sleeves on the handle for oven use, I've been plenty impressed with the bang for the buck. Also see their aluminum baking sheets.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:07:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Triple ply by Calphlon or All Clad will last a lifetime. They are a layer of aluminum sandwiched between layers of SS.  Easy to clean buy heat evenly like aluminum/copper.  Better to just buy a few pieces at a time of high quality stuff than a big set of the cheap SS from Costco.  

Also Lodge or Le Cruset for enamel coated cast iron.  You get the benefit of cast iron, but easier to clean and care for.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:11:13 AM EDT
[#23]
I got my wife a big set of All Clad from Williams-Sonoma a few years ago. Don't let the price deter you, it makes the best hamburger helper.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:11:16 AM EDT
[#24]
This thread is of interest to me, as I asked my sammich maker what she wanted for Christmas, and she said some new pots and pans.

My first reaction was "wtf?", but upon second thought...it seems like a great idea. I, too, am of the understanding that one should NOT give a woman a gift like this on the designated "Hallmark Holidays"...but if that's what she axed for, then that's what she'll get!

Being a former Bed, Bath, & Beyond employee, I really like Calphalon products. We currently have 3 pans that I bought a la carte, that have lasted about 8 years. The nonstick surface is starting to flake.

These have a stupid warranty (10-20yrs iirc), so I could return/exchange them....But I will likely just buy her a full set of the Anodized cookware, and buy midgrade nonstick gear that is semi disposable for eggs, etc.

If you shop at BBB, don't forget your 20% off coupon...On a set of cookware, that equates to about $250, or almost a case of Wolf Gold
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:16:01 AM EDT
[#25]
after having stainless steel, going to full teflon after I had moved cross country and needed to buy stuff again, I would now say buy a full set of stainless steel, and buy a couple of teflon frying pans for non stick use (like eggs) only.

and, if you really intend to cook, and put stuff into the oven, when you get the stainless steel, get them without any plastic/rubber whatever on the handles so you don't have to worry about the temperature that much.

also, you really can't develope a good fond with teflon cookware.
sams and costco have stainless sets at around 150, I think, though you may have to order it

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:26:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This thread is of interest to me, as I asked my sammich maker what she wanted for Christmas, and she said some new pots and pans.

My first reaction was "wtf?", but upon second thought...it seems like a great idea. I, too, am of the understanding that one should NOT give a woman a gift like this on the designated "Hallmark Holidays"...but if that's what she axed for, then that's what she'll get!

Being a former Bed, Bath, & Beyond employee, I really like Calphalon products. We currently have 3 pans that I bought a la carte, that have lasted about 8 years. The nonstick surface is starting to flake.

These have a stupid warranty (10-20yrs iirc), so I could return/exchange them....But I will likely just buy her a full set of the Anodized cookware, and buy midgrade nonstick gear that is semi disposable for eggs, etc.

If you shop at BBB, don't forget your 20% off coupon...On a set of cookware, that equates to about $250, or almost a case of Wolf Gold
View Quote

The upper end Tramontina stuff is pretty awesome and not expensive at all.
Kicks the seeds out of Calphalon since they went box store grade.
I was pleasantly surprised by the stuff when we got the SIL a set when she moved.

Zhukov wont shut up about his love for the line on the Cooking forum...it's borderline disturbing.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:32:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Once you've cooked on an induction stove top you'll want a set of 18/10 stainless cookware.  You can get them teflon coated or not but cooking is a cool breeze.  No fire potential on induction stove tops, kitchen is much cooler, & clean up ... well when you can put a paper plate between the cooking surface and the pan when cooking ... couldn't be easier.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:40:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Belgian Copper cookware is fairly nice.  Not the best but good.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:40:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Belgian Copper cookware is fairly nice.  Not the best but good.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:47:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Am I the only one who hates stainless steel cookware?  I prefer cast iron or teflon.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:04:12 AM EDT
[#31]
stainless steel.  I won't use anything else.

the costco stuff looks good.  Once you figure it out, you will understand why I am a die-hard convert.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:12:45 AM EDT
[#32]
I bought this set for my wife:

Calphalon Contemporary Stainless 13-Piece Cookware Set

Link:

http://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Contemporary-Stainless-13-Piece-Cookware/dp/B000IZQ9SE/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1414656499&sr=1-1&keywords=calphalon+contemporary+stainless+13-piece+cookware+set

She LOVES it!  excellent reviews, and it has worked well for us for over a year.  We also use a lost of cast iron and 1 or two teflon pans, but read the reviews on the stainless steel stuff. really does use less heat & cleans very well.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:12:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Am I the only one who hates stainless steel cookware?  I prefer cast iron or teflon.
View Quote

Nope.
I'll take Debuyer Mineral steel or Cast Iron for 90% of anything that needs cooking.
If you like Cast Iron, try a DeBuyer Mineral pan. You might end up hating Teflon as pointless.

Teflon is the only way to get shit aluminum cookware to sell, and all the dicking around with plastic utensils to keep from hurting the coating is a PITA.
I have a Sams club Sauce pan, that was one of the early ceramic coated over cast lines, that were eventually dropped. That thing makes Teflon look stupid.
The problem is the coating process pisses off the EPA, so production was off shored, and the quality went out the window.

For doing up a white sauce, I'll grab that pan every time, and not be gentle with the finish.
Stainless is hit or miss for even heating IME, and never gets to a point of being non stick with seasoning. Maybe it's my commercial kitchen stuff that is lacking, but for the cost, screw Stainless.

Another reason to hate the EPA.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:16:45 AM EDT
[#34]
bang for the kitchen buck.. calphalon.

But.. does she use metal utensils in the non stick?  Does she whack the edge(hard) of the pot with whatever she is cooking with?

My fiance is brutal on cookware, so that really dictates how much I spend and what I get until the training kicks in.  

Every kitchen does need a good mix of non stick, stainless, and cast iron.  Each has its uses and strengths.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:13:03 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Nope.

I'll take Debuyer Mineral steel or Cast Iron for 90% of anything that needs cooking.

If you like Cast Iron, try a DeBuyer Mineral pan. You might end up hating Teflon as pointless.

Teflon is the only way to get shit aluminum cookware to sell, and all the dicking around with plastic utensils to keep from hurting the coating is a PITA.

I have a Sams club Sauce pan, that was one of the early ceramic coated over cast lines, that were eventually dropped. That thing makes Teflon look stupid.

The problem is the coating process pisses off the EPA, so production was off shored, and the quality went out the window.

For doing up a white sauce, I'll grab that pan every time, and not be gentle with the finish.

Stainless is hit or miss for even heating IME, and never gets to a point of being non stick with seasoning. Maybe it's my commercial kitchen stuff that is lacking, but for the cost, screw Stainless.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope.

That's my problem with them.  I do a lot of frying and cast iron or teflon is just so much easier.  With stainless it always sticks.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:20:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'll make it a Christmas gift - kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

View Quote

Unless your couch is really comfortable, DO NOT do this.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:33:16 AM EDT
[#37]
One 12" lodge cast iron frying pan
One big copper pot with lid
One big enamel covered cast iron dutch over
One big aluminium pot for cooking noodles and such.

That should cover all her needs.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:36:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Option A buy an All Clad set and two cast iron frying pans. Then get a dutch oven. Do not get any nonstick shit. It is all garbage which will need to be replaced every 2or3 years.  This stuff will last forever.  If you get the regular stainless steel. Add special pans/pots as needed.

Buy the cast iron on ebay. Get Griswold or Wagner.  Only buy pieces which have lots of quality photos.  Start with a #9 & #6 or 7 size pans.get a number 8 dutch oven or a 9 if you have a bigger family.  Get your wife involved in the cast iron hobby.  There's tons of info on the web or you can ask me. I have 30 pieces or so currently.

Option B see option A
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:46:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Cast iron and stainless steel here. Leave the Teflon shit alone.
I have a cast iron pan that is about 4 times as old as I am.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:47:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you are being thoughtful in a way. But, pots and pans as a Christmas gift...? Pots and pans are like buying a Refrigerator, Washer Dryer, towels, having the house painted, or buying an Iron and putting a bow on them and saying 'MERRY friggin CHRISTMAS!!"  

Pots and pans are infrastructure. Look into the best ones yourself, then budget and buy them.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:59:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
DO not get pans for Christmas presents.    You will be in the dog house for quite a while.   Speaking from experience.
go with cast iron.
View Quote

+87

Not a Christmas gift if you like pie.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:16:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Calphalon are nice, you can get a decent starter set at Costco for about 150
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:20:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My wife is very happy with her All-Clad cookware LINK

I don't know much about them - aside from what they cost.
View Quote

+1

We got an 8" all clad fry pan as a wedding gift and have since got a 3 quart sauté pan (with another wedding gift gift card). I'm sure there's more in our future.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:09:30 AM EDT
[#44]
When my ex and I split up, she took her multi-thousand-dollar array of Saladmaster cookware with her. I did some homework, and wound up buying this Cuisinart Multi-Clad Pro stainless set, and some additional pieces in the same series. My total expenditure was about $350 for everything I could ever need.

I'm extremely happy with the heavy construction and the quality. You could easily spend eight or ten times as much on boutique cookware, and not get any better.

Cuisinart cookware set on Amazon
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:19:15 AM EDT
[#45]
My fiancé cooks a lot and has nice taste. Me on the other hand grew up cheap and we used whatever. I ve now seen the reason to have nice cookware. I was actually glad when the time to do the wedding registry came around just for cookware purposes. We chose all clad for pans a Dutch oven by le crust and of course she has an array of cast iron already. She already has aw weak al clad pans and they are wonderful. Nonstick is garbage. But that's  what I use at the hunting camp.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:23:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

+87

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
go with cast iron.

+87

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:24:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Kyocera ceramic cookware is phenomenal.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:25:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You missed where he said let her pick what she wants.  See your problem?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:25:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand bro!  Been there and done that.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:28:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
One 12" lodge cast iron frying pan
One big copper pot with lid
One big enamel covered cast iron dutch over
One big aluminium stainless pot for cooking noodles and such.

That should cover all her needs.
View Quote

Fixed that one thing but this is correct.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top