BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Si, I've done the chicken. My Aubelo was heavy into Santeria. I drove a 1970s jalopy as a kid and I do blame domestic violence on the embargo.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Si, I've done the chicken. My Aubelo was heavy into Santeria. I drove a 1970s jalopy as a kid and I do blame domestic violence on the embargo.
Well...  Then you're "Cuban as Fuck" according to the internet!

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:17:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Or the Irish in Argentina... they fled British rule and settled there. Some of their descendants fought in the Falklands.... on he Argie side of course.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
However, most hyphenated Americans don't, they're desperate for a identity, but don't actually know anything about the ethnicity they claim as theirs.

LOL.

This is based off your extensive field work on ARFCOM? I guess I missed the UN Resolution that demanded that Swedish Minister of Culture (not that they are overly busy, in any event) be the final authority on what it means to be a Swedish American.

No, he is right.... I see this especially with the Nuyoricans that claim they are 100% Puerto Rican Boricua when they have never left NYC, their parents never left NYC, nor their grandparents. They don't speak Spanish and they have no clue about the island and it's history.

When I go to NJ to visit family I see Italians that aren't Italian. Their Great Great Grandfather came over and that was it... they don't speak it, they no nothing of the old country, they have no living relatives in the old country, etc....

My case is a bit different. My family came over as political refugees, I didn't speak English until I was six years old, still have family in Cuba, and as a matter of fact will be traveling there in a year to visit family. That is a hassle with the State Department but they approved the trip.

This is not unique to the United States.  About 40 years ago a fellow Anthropology grad student at UFl who was a German national went to Brazil to do the research for his dissertation.  When he came back he was excited because he had found a community of self identified Germans.  They could not speak German and none,of them had ever been out of Brazil.

Also look at,data on Confederatos in BraIl.

Or the Irish in Argentina... they fled British rule and settled there. Some of their descendants fought in the Falklands.... on he Argie side of course.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falkland_Islands_sovereignty_referendum,_2013
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:18:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:23:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I read on the internet that to identify as ethnically Cuban, you have to sacrifice chickens,  drive a jalopy 50's American car, and blame domestic violence on the US trade Embargo.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kinda like you're just an American?

No, under Article 9 Section B of the Political Correctness Committee Manual for Minorities and Foreigners. That doesn't apply.

I read on the internet that to identify as ethnically Cuban, you have to sacrifice chickens,  drive a jalopy 50's American car, and blame domestic violence on the US trade Embargo.

Well, there's no trade embargo on WV, so I guess I''m 2/3rds Cuban!
Finally, I have a cultural identity!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:27:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

Finally, at least someone else here is starting to understand the concept of culture and ethnicity!!!

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:37:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Vito was an Iranian apologist after he had his government ordered timeout from posting. He came back a different guy. Fairly antisemetic and very pro Iran.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is where the Israel nuthuggers running off Vito was a tragedy.

Vito was an Iranian apologist after he had his government ordered timeout from posting. He came back a different guy. Fairly antisemetic and very pro Iran.  

I did notice a rather significant change in his posts.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:37:45 PM EDT
[#7]
That last over watch photo was neat!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:38:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

He got Arocked. He was accused of being an Iranian spy. Like an Iranian spy working for HMG would be posting pro-Iranian propaganda on a webboard.

If posting pro-Iranian propaganda was a bannable offense, someone call MK262 and tell him to stop blowing Suleimani.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Vito was an Iranian apologist after he had his government ordered timeout from posting.

He got Arocked. He was accused of being an Iranian spy. Like an Iranian spy working for HMG would be posting pro-Iranian propaganda on a webboard.

If posting pro-Iranian propaganda was a bannable offense, someone call MK262 and tell him to stop blowing Suleimani.

If he got Arocked then I'm sad.  I just noted that he seemed like a different person when he came back.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:42:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If he got Arocked then I'm sad.  I just noted that he seemed like a different person when he came back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

snip

Trips to the ME tend to do that to people.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:43:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

That last over watch photo was neat!
View Quote
Prob one of my favorite photos I've found over the last couple years.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:46:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Dresden was unhit to that point, and was a huge rail marshaling yard, which was a legitimate target.
Especially after Germany started shooting V-weapons indiscriminately towards English cities, the gloves were off.

Keep in mind, too, that the Luftwaffe started the terror-bombing thing when they tried to wipe Coventry off the map.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
While part of it, I'd say there was more bad blood over the Irish War of Independence, a more recent open-wound at least.   A lot of the "auxiliaries" during that war 1919-1920 weren't given a lot of oversight, good many reprisal killings by "official" forces against civilians along with town-burnings and sackings.

I'll never support the IRA, anyone who attacks civilians earns a blackmark.   However just like the Rhodesian conflict, a lot of stuff that simply isn't reported, covered or documented that "somewhat" changes ones perspective.

How about the American-british bombings in WWII. 100% civilian targeted bombings.

Actually many were on military targets.

However, certain operations, like the firebombing of Dresden, turn my stomach.

And Churchill was crazy about wanting to use biologicals on the Germans. At one time I greatly respected that man. As I learn the overlooked details, I realize he was a monster if no one held his leash.

Dresden was unhit to that point, and was a huge rail marshaling yard, which was a legitimate target.
Especially after Germany started shooting V-weapons indiscriminately towards English cities, the gloves were off.

Keep in mind, too, that the Luftwaffe started the terror-bombing thing when they tried to wipe Coventry off the map.

So we are acknowledging the mutual terrorist civilian targeted bombing by the allies in WWII? Even if in retaliation to the axis.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:53:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:01:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:16:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

He may be paying for that
View All Quotes
If that gal looks as good from the front as she does the back, hell I would too

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:18:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Finally, at least someone else here is starting to understand the concept of culture and ethnicity!!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Si!, Es buen... Oh, I'm sorry, it's my new found heritage coming out!
I meant to say: It is good that I no longer have to say that I am just American.
I am now CUBAN-American!
Viva Zoro!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:23:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Ultimately, it was a economic fight wrapped up in a political one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great pics, thanks for posting. I know little about the conflict, other than it was I assume a fight for independence for Ireland?

And the anti-Semites prove once again they can't keep their opinions in check...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:28:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Fascinating conflict. I love the military hardware and uniforms of the time. I need a Ferret and an L1A1.

To think that an insurgency could last for over thirty years in a first world country between two supposedly civilized countries is simply astonishing. That three thousand people had to die is just bewildering.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:30:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Fascinating conflict. I love the military hardware and uniforms of the time. I need a Ferret and an L1A1.

To think that an insurgency could last for over thirty years in a first world country between two supposedly civilized countries is simply astonishing. That three thousand people had to die is just bewildering.
View Quote
I blame Colonialism and the Patriarchy!

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:38:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

And the anti-Semites prove once again they can't keep their opinions in check...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great pics, thanks for posting. I know little about the conflict, other than it was I assume a fight for independence for Ireland?

You do realize that it is possible to be anti-Israel, and yet not anti-semiitic, don't you?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:39:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I meant to say: It is good that I no longer have to say that I am just American.

I am now CUBAN-American!

Viva Zoro!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am now CUBAN-American!

Viva Zoro!

I know right!  It's super exciting!

I always thought I was an American, but it turns out that since I speak English, drink tea, and think that we should maintain a military and political influence in Afghanistan so other countries can't capitalize on it's resources and location means that I'm culturally British!

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:40:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
You do realize that it is possible to be anti-Israel, and yet not anti-semiitic, don't you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He probably thinks everyone in Israel is Jewish.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:45:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sorry, I was busy watching "The Eternal Jew." What was your point, exactly?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:39:00 PM EDT
[#24]
If it wasn't for Libya's shipments of weapons I don't know if the conflict would have gone on as long as it did.

RPG7's, SAM7'S, Sem tex, Numerous heavy machine guns & Assault rifles.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:46:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If it wasn't for Libya's shipments of weapons I don't know if the conflict would have gone on as long as it did. RPG7's, SAM7'S, Sem tex, Numerous heavy machine guns & Assault rifles.
View Quote

The Cause became mired in Marxist dalectics and a sorry sideshow of the Cold War--it lost it's inherently "Irish" characteristics and became a peculiar, grotesque ideological Frankenstien--and then I guess it just collapsed into drug-dealing and mafia turf wars.

I saw an intersting light/funny film that kind of looked at what the IRA had become and how most average Irish Joes saw them.

It was called The Guard (which is what the Irish call the cops).  It isn't a profound film, but it has some interesting moments.

I also saw an long but fairly interesting film about 1970's/80's terrorism, following the life of Carlos (The Jackal) across the arc of his career.  Worth watching, along with Baader Meinhof Complex.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:46:44 PM EDT
[#26]
About a week ago, I met an R.N. working in an emergency room.
I could not place the accent, so I asked where he was from.
He was one of the whitest white guys I've ever met.
He told me that he was born and raised in South Africa, and he emigrated here eleven years ago.
He's more African than the ten or eleven "African-Americans"are that I know.

My wife's BIL is quite proud to be "Polish".
I asked him once, how to say "Good Morning" in Polish,
Of course, he had no fucking idea.
He had no fucking idea, because he was born and raised in New York, just like his parents.
I told him that unfortunately, he was just American.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:57:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
He told me that he was born and raised in South Africa, and he emigrated here eleven years ago.

He had no fucking idea, because he was born and raised in New York, just like his parents.
View Quote

How did this shit become a cornerstone of a thread about The Troubles?

Why are you grinding this particular axe in this thread?

It makes no sense to me.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:05:22 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

It makes no sense to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It makes no sense to me.
This

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:15:44 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

It makes no sense to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It makes no sense to me.
Because the international posters came in and attempted to illegitimize and belittle posters ethnicity based on their opinions of what counts and what doesn't when it comes to culture.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:39:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:42:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I was enjoying this thread.....right up until it stopped being about N Ireland
View Quote

Says the guy confounded by the fact a folk song about an Armalite would be popular on a site about the AR-15.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:51:34 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I was enjoying this thread.....right up until it stopped being about N Ireland
View Quote
Then you shouldn't have helped it start getting off track on page 2.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:33:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:46:30 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Anyway, I'm off for the weekend, going to shoot my Little Armalite....straight pull of course

Later
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:snip

Anyway, I'm off for the weekend, going to shoot my Little Armalite....straight pull of course

Later
Have fun!
I like my little Armalite, British made no less.  It's a long way from home!  (not straightpull)

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:55:17 AM EDT
[#35]
More guns:

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:23:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It makes no sense to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It makes no sense to me.

It started when the Plastic Paddies posted terrorist propaganda, and then Madcap got butthurt when we told him that drinking Guinness once a year doesn't make him Irish.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:29:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In GD, you can state the official position of the Israeli government itself and get called an anti-semite.

This place is fun like that.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:04:35 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
It started when the Plastic Paddies posted terrorist propaganda, and then Madcap got butthurt when we told him that drinking Guinness once a year doesn't make him Irish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

snip

It's cool, I've adopted my new culture by eating these, speaking borkistani, and pretending I have international influence.

ETA- also, I see your only contribution to this thread was your continued bandwagon adherence of others lack of understanding of anthropological terms and concepts.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:13:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It's cool, I've adopted my new culture by eating these, speaking borkistani, and pretending I have international influence.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0166/6936/products/swedish_fish_large.jpg?v=1357180724

ETA- also, I see your only contribution to this thread was your continued bandwagon adherence of others lack of understanding of anthropological terms and concepts.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0166/6936/products/swedish_fish_large.jpg?v=1357180724

Are you FutureModal's new account?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:18:26 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

snip

Did he also poke fun at your habitual following around the UK posters and jumping into threads with the word "irish" in the title and subsequently doing your best to try to belittle peoples culture based on your own ethnocentrism?

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:20:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Did he also poke fun at your habitual following around the UK posters and jumping into threads with the word "irish" in the title and subsequently doing your best to try to belittle peoples culture based on your own ethnocentrism?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

lol

I bet you're 1/16th Cherokee, ain't ya?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:37:10 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

lol

What's the use in even talking about my lineage?   I can trace it back 1400 years on my Dad's side, and about 200 on my Mothers.

But I'm sure the genetic diversity of being an American would be outside your realm.
ETA- Are you 1/16th Muslim?  I forgot Sweeden IS getting pretty diverse these days...

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:54:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Just an as an observation, I think the more likely explanation is that Swede tends to be more likely to post in threads where there is a European element, because he is European.

The fact that he happens to post in the same threads as UK posters is probably more to do with common "continental" interests, rather than him "following" UK posters.

While the EU as an organisation is an utter travesty, the various nations of Europe do tend to form a fairly close "community" by virtue of their proximity to each other.  Naturally any thread where one of the neighbours is mentioned is going to attract interest.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:04:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
What's the use in even talking about my lineage?   I can trace it back 1400 years on my Dad's side, and about 200 on my Mothers.

But I'm sure the genetic diversity of being an American would be outside your realm.

ETA- Are you 1/16th Muslim?  I forgot Sweeden IS getting pretty diverse these days...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

Allah ackbörk!
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:07:49 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Just an as an observation, I think the more likely explanation is that Swede tends to be more likely to post in threads where there is a European element, because he is European.

The fact that he happens to post in the same threads as UK posters is probably more to do with common "continental" interests, rather than him "following" UK posters.

While the EU as an organisation is an utter travesty, the various nations of Europe do tend to from a daily close "community" by virtue of their proximity to each other.  naturally any thread where one of the neighbours is mentioned is going to attract interest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

snip

While the EU as an organisation is an utter travesty, the various nations of Europe do tend to from a daily close "community" by virtue of their proximity to each other.  naturally any thread where one of the neighbours is mentioned is going to attract interest.

ETA-  Hey... you're right!   http://swedishirish.com/    Maybe he can go get his multiculturalism on!
But, that is a good observation, and makes sense.    Guess we'll see going into the future.  March is right around the corner after all.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:09:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It makes no sense to me.

I am receptive to heairng honest perspective from Ulster Protestants.  Presumably you are not one of those?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:12:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

While the EU as an organisation is an utter travesty, the various nations of Europe do tend to form a fairly close "community" by virtue of their proximity to each other.  Naturally any thread where one of the neighbours is mentioned is going to attract interest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Oh.  Well then that is lame as shit.

"I'm european, and Americans are not--so there".  

<edit: yeah, I'd best just not>
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:17:00 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Plastic Paddy's Dur-hur!  Can't even speak Gaelic hur hurr durr!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Plastic Paddy's Dur-hur!  Can't even speak Gaelic hur hurr durr!
It gets even more interesting when you look at the history of who started modern Ireland.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:20:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Looks like we found another one!

You Yanks sure get butthurt when someone questions your fake ethnicities.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:21:14 AM EDT
[#50]
More to the point in all of this:  Why is it that the Irish who emigrated to America spend so much time looking back?

Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top