Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/29/2014 2:09:20 PM EDT
The Federal Reserve on Wednesday ended its monthly bond purchase program and signaled confidence the U.S. economic recovery would remain on track despite signs of a slowdown in many parts of the global economy.

"The Committee continues to see sufficient underlying strength in the broader economy to support ongoing progress toward maximum employment in a context of price stability," the central bank's policy committee said in a statement following a two-day meeting.

The Fed pointed to strengthening labor markets, saying that slack in labor markets was "gradually diminishing."

It retained its basic language regarding interest rates from recent statements, saying that rates would remain low for a "considerable time" following the end of the bond purchases this month.

The timing and pace of rate hikes would depend on incoming economic data, the Fed said, new language that apparently earned the support of Philadelphia Fed President Charles Plosser and Dallas Fed President Richard Fisher, who dissented at the previous meeting.

On inflation, the Fed acknowledged that lower energy prices and other forces were holding inflation down, but that overall the economy should progress toward the central bank's 2 percent target.

"The Committee judges that the likelihood of inflation running persistently below 2 percent has diminished somewhat since early this year," the statement said.

LINK
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:11:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Dow down 60 since 12
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#2]
They gave up. Its like fighting a wildfire with a kids sand rake
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:12:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Pre-election propaganda?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:16:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:17:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:18:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Lol tow line snapped
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:19:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Lol, inflation is under 2%?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, the fact that the Market didn't crash, is a positive, Right?

The Smart Money believes : 1. QE isn't needed, or 2. It isn't really going to end.

Which is it?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:48:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Sure, if you exclude energy, food, and virtually everything else that people buy on a regular basis.

iPad's and flat screen TV's are the benchmark now.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:50:19 PM EDT
[#10]

The Beast!!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:00:58 PM EDT
[#11]
The only reason why they stopped buying govt debt is because the is enough demand from other buyers, mostly because the EU economy is worse. When it swaps again, the fed will again be buying us govt debt.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:16:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The only reason why they stopped buying govt debt is because the is enough demand from other buyers, mostly because the EU economy is worse. When it swaps again, the fed will again be buying us govt debt.

View Quote

Aaaahhhsssooooooo.        Thanks.  That makes a lot of sense.       You pretty smart for a pilot.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:40:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Aaaahhhsssooooooo.        Thanks.  That makes a lot of sense.       You pretty smart for a pilot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

my wife told me to post that.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:43:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wifes not a F/A?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:45:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Obama is trying to crash the economy, but it will actually improve as he loses power.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:47:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The Beast!!!
View All Quotes

Still one of the best coasters out there.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:55:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Possibly on the Long term stuff but the demand for the 5 year auction today was pretty anemic.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:16:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Wifes not a F/A?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wifes not a F/A?
LOL

no

but I was just kidding. I am out bow hunting deer playing economist.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
LOL

no

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wifes not a F/A?
LOL

no

nice, I wish I could be out fishing and playing economist. But I am here at work listening to economist .
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:55:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

of course it is, I'm sure the new "tweaked" calculations show less than 2% INF
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:04:10 PM EDT
[#21]
LOL this shit has to be bullshit otherwise the market would have dropped like a prom dress after a bottle of Boone's Farm.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:04:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

considering curde and RBOB has fallen like a rock recently, I would think that number is fairly accurate.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:05:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
LOL this shit has to be bullshit otherwise the market would have dropped like a prom dress after a bottle of Boone's Farm.
View Quote

This has been priced in for a while now I imagine.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:08:30 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Well, the fact that the Market didn't crash, is a positive, Right?

The Smart Money believes : 1. QE isn't needed, or 2. It isn't really going to end.

Which is it?
View Quote

#2. for $10,000,000, Alex.  

The Fed will keep buying.  

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:11:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:11:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The Federal Reserve on Wednesday ended its monthly bond purchase program and signaled confidence the U.S. economic recovery would remain on track despite signs of a slowdown in many parts of the global economy.

"The Committee continues to see sufficient underlying strength in the broader economy to support ongoing progress toward maximum employment in a context of price stability," the central bank's policy committee said in a statement following a two-day meeting.

The Fed pointed to strengthening labor markets, saying that slack in labor markets was "gradually diminishing."

It retained its basic language regarding interest rates from recent statements, saying that rates would remain low for a "considerable time" following the end of the bond purchases this month.

The timing and pace of rate hikes would depend on incoming economic data, the Fed said, new language that apparently earned the support of Philadelphia Fed President Charles Plosser and Dallas Fed President Richard Fisher, who dissented at the previous meeting.

On inflation, the Fed acknowledged that lower energy prices and other forces were holding inflation down, but that overall the economy should progress toward the central bank's 2 percent target.

"The Committee judges that the likelihood of inflation running persistently below 2 percent has diminished somewhat since early this year," the statement said.

LINK
View Quote

pefect timing to give the Republicans no economy to work with. Interest rates will rise now that the fed is not going to sit n them.

PERFECT!
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:13:25 PM EDT
[#28]
OR..... the banks are sufficiently capitalized, equities are overbought and the banks signaled that they are about to start pushing money into the actual economy.

That would force the Fed to get ahead of the implied inflation of the trillions of dollars they've created coming out to play instead of being used to make banks look solvent.
OR... the rest of the world's QE programs are going to shit and foreign investors are buying US Bonds just to try to maintain value instead of losing value in their home nations.

OR.... in an effort to force speculators to cover long positions on the market (crude mainly) the Fed announces this so that commodities prices fall along with the rest of the market index thereby putting more pressure on Russia and Syria while the Saudi's keep pumping out cheap oil to do their part in destroying not only religious enemies but economic threats as well (Russia and Shale oil plays).

OR... The Fed found out that I finally started an IRA last week and are determined to fuck me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:26:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have repeatedly been assured by the doomers on ARFCOM that

(a) the Fed would NEVER end quantitative easing and bond purchases

(b) if they ever actually did, the economy would completely and utterly collapse and everything would unravel

I guess the total catastrophic economic collapse is right around the corner, maybe some time next year - just like it has been since 2008, and will continue to be indefinitely.

View Quote

You didn't actually say Anything.  

Is Q/E really over, and can the Economy sustain itself?       Are interest rates going to float up in accordance with the law of supply and demand?    How soon and how much?   Iyho.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

(b) if they ever actually did, the economy would completely and utterly collapse and everything would unravel

I guess the total catastrophic economic collapse is right around the corner, maybe some time next year - just like it has been since 2008, and will continue to be indefinitely.

View Quote

No no no, THIS time it will collapse now that all of the phony money is no longer being printed by the feds!  Christmas time for sure!  Wall street is way too addicted to easy money!

Meanwhile the market will continue to grow, then several years down the road the stock market will grow too big in comparison to earnings as it always does and start a new correction right when they finally decide to buy at the top. Money will be lost.  That's when they will swoop in and say I told you so, thus continuing the perpetual doom and gloom cycle coupled with validation when they buy at the top and sell during the sell off losing money, and  "proving" that the markets are a scam.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:39:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Let me guess...printer broke?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:40:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

just like peak oil
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:03:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually, we use the little rakes all the time. They're super handy for cleaning the duff out of rocky areas.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:06:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Dow down 60 since 12
View Quote

But it is UP nearly 900 points from the "Dow Is Crashing" threads from a couple of weeks ago.

I'll pay attention the Doom & Gloom threads when the Dow shrinks past 14,000.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:34:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Do people here really think the fed is not propping up the markets by buying in the markets to keep them up?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:37:37 PM EDT
[#36]
This thread produces all the lulz I knew it would.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:45:35 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm just sittin up here in da woods
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:47:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:56:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It would be silly of them to do that for the stock market.  There really is not other place to put your money to grow it (real estate still hasn't recovered and Govt savings bonds are near useless).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do people here really think the fed is not propping up the markets by buying in the markets to keep them up?

It would be silly of them to do that for the stock market.  There really is not other place to put your money to grow it (real estate still hasn't recovered and Govt savings bonds are near useless).

A lot of major financial people think it might be happening. Articles are all over the place.

They print the money, don't report how much they create anymore (M3), can invest in anything they want, and never get audited.

Your reason is exactly why they would do it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:11:40 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Actually, we use the little rakes all the time. They're super handy for cleaning the duff out of rocky areas.

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac180/AssSupt/Fire/5d8d3e3456f491516ffc32bc86681b4c_zps8864b514.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac180/AssSupt/Fire/5d8d3e3456f491516ffc32bc86681b4c_zps8864b514.jpg

We use the little guys to clean out between shrubs in people's yard.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#41]
the front fell off
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Let's see.
At 0% interest of 17T = 17T
Let say 3% =
17.51T
So 510B in interest.
How can they afford to raise rates on themselves?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:24:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are they made of plastic tho
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:29:52 PM EDT
[#44]
... may be in the minority here, but the market has been very good to my portfolio over the past three years
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:36:25 PM EDT
[#45]
the end of QE has been baked in for a year
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:41:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We use the plastic ones as well.  But, some folks prefer the metal tined versions as they work better for toasting your sandwich over a bed of coals with.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:22:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
... may be in the minority here, but the market has been very good to my portfolio over the past three years
View Quote

You shouldn't be, if you didn't make money in the past 3 years. You have no sympathy from me. LOLz at the PM bugs.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:34:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:08:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I wasn't making any predictions or claims.

I was merely pointing out that the Fed has been reducing QE steadily for a long time now, and has finally ended it - and NONE of the hysterical (and confident) predictions of various doomers on arfcom about what would happen if the Fed ended QE have come true.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You didn't actually say Anything.  

Is Q/E really over, and can the Economy sustain itself?       Are interest rates going to float up in accordance with the law of supply and demand?    How soon and how much?   Iyho.

I wasn't making any predictions or claims.

I was merely pointing out that the Fed has been reducing QE steadily for a long time now, and has finally ended it - and NONE of the hysterical (and confident) predictions of various doomers on arfcom about what would happen if the Fed ended QE have come true.

That's because all of them are PM bugs and are pissed they lost their asses. Not only that but GD isn't exactly full of Economist.

As far as Bill of Rights comment about rates, did you see the 5 year auction Tuesday? Demand was anemic. Keep in mind there are short term rates, intermediate term rates and long term rates. Each affect financial instruments differently.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:08:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Japan just announced the commencement of a large QE policy with the intended goal of boosting the NIKKEI into the green for the year.  The result was japanese investment firms dropping Japanese gov bonds from 60% of their portfolios to 35% and increasing their exposure of US gov bonds from 15% to 25%
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top