Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:09:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Pull one ram stick and turn on computer.... If u see bios it was that ram module... If nothing put ram module back and pull other one. Sounds like a bad ram stick
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pull one ram stick and turn on computer.... If u see bios it was that ram module... If nothing put ram module back and pull other one. Sounds like a bad ram stick
View Quote

I have 3 ram sticks

3 x 2gb if Im not mistaking. How do I proceed ?

why the mobo led would stay red for CPU  if its ram related ?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:17:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have 3 ram sticks

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have 3 ram sticks

Pull 2 only keep one in at a time... Eliminate the bad one if it is ram

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:18:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Tek Syndicate - How to Apply Thermal Paste

This won't solve your immediate problem, but it's a good video to show the different methods of applying thermal paste once you get everything figured out.  It also shows the proper way to clean up a CPU.

ETA - so we know it was working before, it was just running hot due to the CPU fan being loose.  That kind of concerns me, because normally CPU fans don't just come loose like that.  It's almost like the CPU wasn't in the socket all the way when you tightened down the cooler, and maybe it seated itself finally and that's why the fan became loose.  I don't know.  I do know that the motherboard will not POST if it doesn't detect a CPU.  All I can suggest is removing the CPU and taking a can of compressed air and blowing out the area around the CPU pins/holes.  One little piece of tissue paper is all it would take to inhibit one of those hundreds of connections in there.

I wouldn't be "too" worried about static.  I've built about 4 computers and replaced a handful of components, and I've never personally had anything damaged by static.  I also do not know anyone who has damaged anything with static.  I do all of my work on tile floors though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also carefully removed the cpu and cleaned it with a clean paper rag, to remove the old past.

I re applied new past, and put it back in place. I also reattached the cpu fan correctly...
:

You removed the CPU to clean it?  Clean it right on the motherboard.  Every time you remove the CPU you risk breaking a pin and it wears out the gold plating on the socket.  Never use paper anything to clean a CPU, those paper bits that get left behind can cause problems.

This might be a dumb question, but it says you reapplied the thermal paste and then put the CPU back in place.  Surely you meant you installed the CPU and then put the thermal paste on?  If you have conductive thermal paste, anything metallic, that can also short things out if it goes over the side of the CPU and gets into the pins.

What method did you use for putting the paste on?  I recommend a small dot in the center.  If you are spreading it around you are doing it wrong.

ETA - I also agree that it sounds like a broken/bent CPU pin.
ETA2 - OK so apparently you've checked the pins.  Maybe thermal paste or a piece of paper made its way into the CPU socket.

first time I reapplied thermal past to say the truth.

Since I removed the CPU from the socket to clean it (just the side that goes in contact with the fan, I never even touched the socket side) i reapplied the thermal paste at that time, before replacing it into the socket.

maybe some excess of paste shorted things out ? I dont know- I didnt see any outside of where it had to be..

I applied the paste with a dot on the center, and than spread it over in a thin layer with a plastic card.

I believe I might have just fried my CPU now

Tek Syndicate - How to Apply Thermal Paste

This won't solve your immediate problem, but it's a good video to show the different methods of applying thermal paste once you get everything figured out.  It also shows the proper way to clean up a CPU.

ETA - so we know it was working before, it was just running hot due to the CPU fan being loose.  That kind of concerns me, because normally CPU fans don't just come loose like that.  It's almost like the CPU wasn't in the socket all the way when you tightened down the cooler, and maybe it seated itself finally and that's why the fan became loose.  I don't know.  I do know that the motherboard will not POST if it doesn't detect a CPU.  All I can suggest is removing the CPU and taking a can of compressed air and blowing out the area around the CPU pins/holes.  One little piece of tissue paper is all it would take to inhibit one of those hundreds of connections in there.

I wouldn't be "too" worried about static.  I've built about 4 computers and replaced a handful of components, and I've never personally had anything damaged by static.  I also do not know anyone who has damaged anything with static.  I do all of my work on tile floors though.

The pea vs the spreading method is as old as the Camaro V Mustang or the 1911 vs Glock debate or even the 9mm to 45 debate.

Also, tiles can carry static... this is why we ground floors in computing facilities.... or worst case, use anti static wax.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:22:30 PM EDT
[#5]
On board graphics card or pci graphics card?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:28:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

GTX570 which was working real fine until I removed and replaced the CPU.

I see now reason why the GC should be involve.

Especially because the MOBO led alert is telling me its CPU related
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:18:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Did you pull the mono battery / hard reset bios?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:34:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Asus motherboards have a clear CMOS button/toggle switch on the back IO panel on some models. If yours has one, did you by chance move it to the reset position by accident?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:08:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Did you pull the mono battery / hard reset bios?
View Quote

Nope. Could try.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:09:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Asus motherboards have a clear CMOS button/toggle switch on the back IO panel on some models. If yours has one, did you by chance move it to the reset position by accident?
View Quote

Don't think so.  

Think this asus rampage gene III has one ?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:23:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Did you pull the ram or no
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:09:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe that he is wondering about the Graphics card because nothing is posting on screen.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:32:55 AM EDT
[#13]
FUCKING PC 0, Shung 1 !!!!

FUCK YEAAAAHH !

So today I decided to take everything appart, give it a good cleaning, and reassemble as if it were new.

I decided to take a closer look at the socket pins, in broad daylight, with a lense.. I noticed that a square on the bottom left corner of the socket didnt appear quite alright, as if something was missing.

Geeze, im still young, but these things are extra small. It was like one of the socket pins was missing. So I took a tooth pick, and tried fucking with those pins, until i saw one was slightly (and just slightly) bent.. I fucked with it until it appeared back in place, and not touching any others...

And then I reassembled it...

moment of truth, I plug everything in, and turn it on........ same fucking red CPU led on, NOTHING on the monitor...

SCREW THAT...

so I decide to try one last thing, that is try one ram stick at a time.....   No better results..

In despair, I bring the PC back to the other room, to close the case and bring it back to the shop for a CPU swap attempt...  

while im tucking all the cables and wires back inside the case, I notice that this time I forgot to put the fucking CPU power supply (8 pins) back in before powering it on.. LoL.

So i bring back the PC to the monitor room, plug everything back in, and ..... TADAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!! it fucking worked, though the BIOS indicated me that I had a new CPU plugged in.

So in the end, the issue was one of those socket pins that got bent in the CPU removal/reposition process.....   Lesson for later... never touch those fucking CPU's again after they have been first installed, and clean the fucking paste right there, on the mobo.

Im very lucky though, because if before packing everything to go to the shop, I had not noticed that the CPU power supply wasnt plugged back in, that the first thing they would have noticed, and I would have had no proof that that socket pin was actually bent and causing my issue, and that I actually solved the problem myself a few hours before...   They would have had a good laugh at me, and thats pretty much it.. LoL !!!

Thanks to everybody for your help ! This is a great place, and you have solutions for absolutely everything in life...

well, except women/pie, but thats its ;)

THANK YOU arfcom !
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:57:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Glad to hear that you fixed it.  It doesn't take much at all to move those pins out of place.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:59:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

FUCK YEAAAAHH !

So today I decided to take everything appart, give it a good cleaning, and reassemble as if it were new.

I decided to take a closer look at the socket pins, in broad daylight, with a lense.. I noticed that a square on the bottom left corner of the socket didnt appear quite alright, as if something was missing.

Geeze, im still young, but these things are extra small. It was like one of the socket pins was missing. So I took a tooth pick, and tried fucking with those pins, until i saw one was slightly (and just slightly) bent.. I fucked with it until it appeared back in place, and not touching any others...

moment of truth, I plug everything in, and turn it on........ same fucking red CPU led on, NOTHING on the monitor...

SCREW THAT...

so I decide to try one last thing, that is try one ram stick at a time.....   No better results..

In despair, I bring the PC back to the other room, to close the case and bring it back to the shop for a CPU swap attempt...  

while im tucking all the cables and wires back inside the case, I notice that this time I forgot to put the fucking CPU power supply (8 pins) back in before powering it on.. LoL.

So i bring back the PC to the monitor room, plug everything back in, and ..... TADAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!! it fucking worked, though the BIOS indicated me that I had a new CPU plugged in.

So in the end, the issue was one of those socket pins that got bent in the CPU removal/reposition process.....   Lesson for later... never touch those fucking CPU's again after they have been first installed, and clean the fucking paste right there, on the mobo.

Im very lucky though, because if before packing everything to go to the shop, I had not noticed that the CPU power supply wasnt plugged back in, that the first thing they would have noticed, and I would have had no proof that that socket pin was actually bent and causing my issue, and that I actually solved the problem myself a few hours before...   They would have had a good laugh at me, and thats pretty much it.. LoL !!!

Thanks to everybody for your help ! This is a great place, and you have solutions for absolutely everything in life...

THANK YOU arfcom !
View Quote

Some one mentioned this earlier. It is very common thing to do.

Those pins remind me of hairs. I am getting older and they are hard to look at.

Glad its working!

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Glad its working!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FUCK YEAAAAHH !

SCREW THAT...

THANK YOU arfcom !

Glad its working!

yeah, but keep in mind, this was not the problem in the first place.

that plug was in last night, and I even double checked when someone mentionned it yesterday.

I just forgot to plug it back in after solving the socket pins issue, and I almost missed it ;)
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:15:36 AM EDT
[#17]
I told you Glad you got it working.

ETA: aw nvm, saw ur above reply. Good job finding the problem. It's a rewarding but tedious process.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:27:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Sweet. I was going to say check the power plugs in case one decided to push out the plug.
I've seen the metal piece come out the plastic. = no worky worky
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:28:12 AM EDT
[#19]
you know, sometimes I wonder, what % of the people from my generation (80s) does this kind of things. (that is, play the apprentice mechanics with computers)

I mean, I don't work in any computer related field, or have any formal instruction about it.

All I knew I learned here and there, reading and asking.

I think I built my first PC 15years ago.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:38:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

that plug was in last night, and I even double checked when someone mentioned it yesterday.

I just forgot to plug it back in after solving the socket pins issue, and I almost missed it ;)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FUCK YEAAAAHH !

SCREW THAT...

THANK YOU arfcom !

Glad its working!

that plug was in last night, and I even double checked when someone mentioned it yesterday.

Yep I understood what you were saying. I have missed it before too.

Makes me feel like a dummy sometimes.

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:49:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
you know, sometimes I wonder, what % of the people from my generation (80s) does this kind of things. (that is, play the apprentice mechanics with computers)

I mean, I don't work in any computer related field, or have any formal instruction about it.

All I knew I learned here and there, reading and asking.

I think I build my first PC 15years ago.
View Quote

Most likely an extremely small percentage, maybe even a smaller percentage than gun owners in this generation, who do this kind of stuff. It's kind of sad to see people I know go out and buy whole new computers because of things that could have easily been fixed for cheap or even fixed for free.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:02:24 AM EDT
[#22]
I haven't read the whole thread or even the OP carefully....but did you use a conductive TIM? Sounds like you may have shorted out your mobo which in turn can also fry your cpu. I'd RMA them asap.

ETA: nevermind, gratz. I always re-TIM while the CPU is still installed in the socket. Best practice.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:07:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I haven't read the whole thread or even the OP carefully....but did you use a conductive TIM? Sounds like you may have shorted out your mobo which in turn can also fry your cpu. I'd RMA them asap.

ETA: nevermind, gratz. I always re-TIM while the CPU is still installed in the socket. Best practice.
View Quote

TIM ? You mean thermal paste ?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:19:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Since the pins are assumed to be ok do the following.

Grab a can of contact cleaner.

Give the cpu socket a bath.

Give the bottom of the cpu a bath.

Reinstall and hope
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:23:10 PM EDT
[#25]
OH wait you resolved the issue. Yea you arent the first to plug the cpu power connector back in
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:25:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same thing. Thermal Interface Material
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:53:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
OH wait you resolved the issue. Yea you arent the first to plug the cpu power connector back in
View Quote

That was not the issue. A socket pin was slightly bent. It's a miracle I could see it, and another one I could fix it.

Later on, I forgot for a minute to put the plug back in ;)
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rgr thanks.

Learned a new acronym.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top