Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Posted: 10/28/2014 10:31:39 AM EDT
Independent.uk Link

The theories of evolution and the Big Bang are real and God is not “a magician with a magic wand”, Pope Francis has declared.

Speaking at the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, the Pope made comments which experts said put an end to the “pseudo theories” of creationism and intelligent design that some argue were encouraged by his predecessor, Benedict XVI.

Francis explained that both scientific theories were not incompatible with the existence of a creator – arguing instead that they “require it”.

“When we read about Creation in Genesis, we run the risk of imagining God was a magician, with a magic wand able to do everything. But that is not so,” Francis said.

He added: “He created human beings and let them develop according to the internal laws that he gave to each one so they would reach their fulfilment.
View Quote

This former-Catholic-turned-agnostic really likes this pope.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:35:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm a Lutheran and I like this guy.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:41:26 AM EDT
[#2]
As the Pontiff, he is allowed to pontificate.

This thread will surely lead to peace, love, and mutual understanding.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Whats next, Pope? Christ didn't rise from the dead?

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:43:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As the Pontiff, he is allowed to pontificate.

This thread will surely lead to peace, love, and mutual understanding.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I like what this Pope is saying, but I’ve always said and still maintain that religion and science are not compatible.

Religion will continue to mold its interpretation of religious texts/teaching to fit with current scientific discoveries, but it will never be the other way around. No matter how far science progresses, “God” will never be the answer. Therefore, the two will always be in conflict with one another, and thus, not compatible. In my opinion of course……
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:45:28 AM EDT
[#6]
What kind of Pope is that guy? I mean he was doing alright in my book by the Islam thing, but this? Is he a scientist? A social scientist?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:45:32 AM EDT
[#7]
This has been the official position for a very long time. In fact catholics came up with the idea of the big bang and evolution long before secular scientists did.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:45:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe a greater understanding of how our world actually works has left us less reliant on the fables, folklore and mythologies of ancient tribesmen.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:46:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

This has been the official position for a very long time. In fact catholics came up with the idea of the big bang and evolution long before secular scientists did.
View Quote

Yup.

In the 1950 encyclical Humani generis, Pope Pius XII confirmed that there is no intrinsic conflict between Christianity and the theory of evolution.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:47:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

Derp.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:47:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

This has been the official position for a very long time. In fact Catholics came up with the idea of the big bang and evolution long before secular scientists did.
View Quote

Care to cite that little nugget in red?

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:48:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

The basis on which we're supposed to believe in God is wrong, but we're still supposed to believe there's a God.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:49:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This has been the official position for a very long time. In fact Catholics came up with the idea of the big bang and evolution long before secular scientists did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Lema%C3%AEtre

This chap had some notions on evolution by design, but there were earlier Greek philosophers who had opined on the notion of evolution of life without a creator.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Aquinas
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:50:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lutherans have believed the same thing for many years.  In fact most Christians believe that God created the Heavens and the Earth and He did it according to the Laws of Physics and in an orderly manner.   That includes evolution and everything else that we know of.

Just because one clown a few hundred years ago tried to determine the age of the earth by counting the generations described in the Bible doesn't mean everybody believes it.

It good to see our Catholic brothers and sisters finally getting on the bandwagon.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:50:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:50:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yup.

In the 1950 encyclical Humani generis, Pope Pius XII confirmed that there is no intrinsic conflict between Christianity and the theory of evolution.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

Or you could take it all the way back to freakin' St. Augustine in the late 4th and early 5th century. (ETA: Gregor Mendel, the father of genetics, was an Augustinian friar)

I'm entertained by all the people who keep saying "ZOMG Pope Francis said something and I like, therefor it it must be new thinking!"
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:50:50 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.

He's not saying Catholics agreed to evolution and the big bang theory, he's saying Catholics came up with those ideas.

And....he's also wrong.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:50:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Hasn't the Catholic church accepted evolution and the big bang for quite some time now?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:51:43 AM EDT
[#19]
I always enjoy watching the surprised reactions when the Pope explains what has been long-standing Catholic doctrine.

As it turns out, the Pope is indeed Catholic.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:52:11 AM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Circa 1859....

Catholics did not come up with the idea of evolution, nor did they come up with the big bang theory. That's freakin' absurd.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:52:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Georges Lemaitre 1931, Google is your friend
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:53:36 AM EDT
[#22]
I am to the point that I don't even really want to follow the link.  The Catholic Church has long followed the belief of the prime mover (Gods plan and started by God - God spoke it and it happened) is a necessary belief - but how God accomplished it (Big Bang and Evolution) are optional and up to the believer.  I seriously doubt this changed.  This is very Jesuit - Studying a creation teaches you about the Creator.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:53:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I like what this Pope is saying, but I’ve always said and still maintain that religion and science are not compatible.

Religion will continue to mold its interpretation of religious texts/teaching to fit with current scientific discoveries, but it will never be the other way around. No matter how far science progresses, “God” will never be the answer. Therefore, the two will always be in conflict with one another, and thus, not compatible. In my opinion of course……
View Quote

Ultimately Science does reach the point where it has to acknowledge its own limitations, there are limits in mathematics, physics etc where you simply can not get any more answers from them. Beyond materialism you run into the arena's of philosophy (epistemology, ontology) and eventually faith. A well rounded thinker needs to be able to marshal all of the domains of thought, materialism will only get you so far, the how will only get you so far, eventually you do end up in the domain of the "Why".

SO to answer your statement, there are questions in mathematics and science where "God" may not be the answer... but there is a sign on the door saying "Science can not answer this question". (Examples being whether or not a continuum of infinities exists between the infinity of rational and irrational numbers, and creating an elementary arithmetic system which is both consistent and complete as per Gödel)

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:54:01 AM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Circa 1859....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Origin_of_Species

And exactly how does Charles Darwin have anything to do with the Big Bang?

ETA:  And note Aquinas's thoughts on natural processes:  "Hence, it is clear that nature is nothing but a certain kind of art, i.e., the divine art, impressed upon things, by which these things are moved to a determinate end. It is as if the shipbuilder were able to give to timbers that by which they would move themselves to take the form of a ship."
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:54:09 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Charles Darwin circa 1859.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:55:17 AM EDT
[#26]
He just lost his free pass to the Creation Museum

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:55:33 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Circa 1859....

If you read the post I quoted...in its entirety...as in both sentences, I believe evolution is stated fairly clearly.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:55:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Prepare yourself for a new state religion.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:55:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

selective research.  Never seen this dun befo.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:55:49 AM EDT
[#30]
God created all... including the laws of science and physics. God could have created everything through the big bang.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:57:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Big Bang and intelligent design are not mutually exclusive, in fact it is far more of a stretch to consider big bang happened all by itself. Second law of thermodynamics and all that.

As far as evolution goes, while Darwin was right about natural selection and other theories, he openly admitted he was wrong about many things concerning the evolution of man, that he made assumptions that could never be proven, a fact evolutionists don't like to admit. Read the book "Darwin's Doubt."  

It will open your eyes as to what Darwin actually believed. Evolution of man from primates is far from proven feasible, actually quite the opposite is true.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:58:58 AM EDT
[#32]
What an absolute fool !!!!!

It's a case of the pupil trying to lecture the professor.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:59:33 AM EDT
[#33]
"Molding a human out of clay" and guided (but seemingly random) evolution seems to be a very good metaphor to me. As a species evolves, the changes and refinements would resemble a sculptor refining a creation over time.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:59:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Anti-Catholics tend to forget we have a pretty long history of founding Universities and promoting Science.  They will point out how we censored science - but it was not because the Church felt the science was wrong - but because the Church understood that the uneducated masses were not prepared for it.  Quite honestly - that is still often the case.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:59:52 AM EDT
[#35]
That will put some knickers into a twist around here.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:59:56 AM EDT
[#36]
“He (God) created human beings and let them develop according to the internal laws that he gave to each one so they would reach their fulfillment."
View Quote

“Evolution in nature is not inconsistent with the notion of creation, because evolution requires the creation of beings that evolve.”
View Quote

In line with what I learned.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:01:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Hasn't the Catholic church accepted evolution and the big bang for quite some time now?
View Quote

It has.

But the GD experts here don't need that tidbit of info/fact.

Catholocism teaches that science and Christianity compliment each other. The two stories in the book of Genesis that cover the creation story are merely stories trying to explain the unexplainable. Stories from the New Testament are much newer and have less issues with the differences in translations.

Catholic means universal. It's the oldest Christian religion; as such it's been around long enough to make alot of mistakes. It's also gained wisdom in that time and eventually gets it right (Galilleo comes to mind here).
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:03:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Science and religion are very compatible and there have been some very great scientific minds who were religious.  As long as religion remains on the philosophical side and discusses the question of "why," and science discusses the question of "how," there is no conflict.

If one believes that God created an ordered universe run by natural laws of his design, one can accept that evolution is one of those laws.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:04:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Another evolution thread, where the same arguments get said, the same people get butthurt, rinse and repeat tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:05:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Circa 1859....

Catholics did not come up with the idea of evolution, nor did they come up with the big bang theory. That's freakin' absurd.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Circa 1859....

Uh, Aquinas put out similar ideas long before Darwin went out and gathered the supporting evidence. Darwin was not even the first person to postulate "Darwinism" in the modern era.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:05:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Or you could take it all the way back to freakin' St. Augustine in the late 4th and early 5th century. (ETA: Gregor Mendel, the father of genetics, was an Augustinian friar)

I'm entertained by all the people who keep saying "ZOMG Pope Francis said something and I like, therefor it it must be new thinking!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

The Catholics as a whole are not the Christians who have the issue with science.

Go to one catholic mass and when communion time rolls around you will  realize that we don't take things literally.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:05:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Anti-Catholics tend to forget we have a pretty long history of founding Universities and promoting Science.  They will point out how we censored science - but it was not because the Church felt the science was wrong - but because the Church understood that the uneducated masses were not prepared for it.  Quite honestly - that is still often the case.
View Quote

It was and is still wrong to do so.

I have always maintained that the Roman Catholic church is as much a political organization as it is a church.

The first century church does not give any precedent for anything like what the Vatican and all it's hierarchies has become, and the pope has no authority given to proclaim anything, nor has he ever had any except as given by man.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:07:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I have always maintained that the Roman Catholic church is as much a political organization as it is a church.

The first century church does not give any precedent for anything like what the Vatican and all it's hierarchies has become, and the pope has no authority given to proclaim anything, nor has he ever had any except as given by man.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You over estimate the average persons intelligence.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:07:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great post.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:08:17 AM EDT
[#45]
I don't take advice from a dude in a funny hat.  I find it funny some of you who think he is a fool do.  Truth doesn't change due to opinion.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:08:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like him except for when he decides to open his mouth in support of socialism.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:09:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Catholic means universal. It's the oldest Christian religion
View Quote

It most certainly is not. Christianity began with the teachings of Christ and the first century church, not a roman emperor's (Constantine) decrees in 312 AD.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:10:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:10:37 AM EDT
[#49]
I've never thought religion and science were mutually exclusive.  

Big Bang, to me, is "let there be light, and there was."  It, actually, makes more sense to me than a standalone "Nobody+ Nothing = Everything" stance.

Evolution may have been God "growing" man.  Although evolution is missing many links...

And everyone spouting time inconsistencies seems laughable to me.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:12:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I like him except for when he decides to open his mouth in support of socialism.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top