Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/27/2014 12:48:15 PM EDT
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/10/27/army-green-berets-reportedly-criticize-performance-afghan-army-troops/

Elite Army troops have disparaged the fighting capability of Afghan troops to military investigators probing the deaths of five soldiers in a friendly fire incident earlier this year, according to a published report.

The Washington Times claims that several Green Berets have described how Afghan soldiers have refused to fight and hidden among trees and behind rocks when coming under fire. The criticisms came to light on the same day that the last unit of U.S. Marines in Afghanistan concluded its combat mission, handing the base known as Camp Leatherneck to Afghan troops.

The comments by the Green Berets were made to investigators from U.S. Central Command during discussions of an incident from this past June, when five U.S. soldiers and an Afghan sergeant were killed when a B-1 bomber mistakenly dropped two bombs on their position during a battle against Taliban forces in southern Afghanistan.

Among the other complaints against Afghan soldiers the Times reports as being mentioned in the investigative file are inability to fight at night and inability to take the lead in clearing villages controlled by the Taliban. The paper also reports that the Green Beret team leader, a captain, claimed that the Afghan National Army (ANA) had provided fewer troops than requested for the June mission, adding that this was not the first time that had happened.

After the deadly bombing, the Times reports, a Green Beret instructed Afghan soldiers to set up a perimeter, only for them to hide behind a rock.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:53:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Get out and leave them to the Taliban.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:53:48 PM EDT
[#2]
This thread needs more Nicholas Cage
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:55:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Wanna buy some ARVN ANA rifles? Never been fired, and only dropped once.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:55:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

How many weeks before we see the Taliban at Camp Leatherneck?

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:58:08 PM EDT
[#5]
They need some sort of ideology to motivate them to kill anyone without remorse.  Hmmmm................?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:58:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Should have set the whole place up to explode. Than when the maximum turban allotment has been reached inside BOOM!
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:59:54 PM EDT
[#7]
They don't want a Disney World and McDonalds.  They want to live in their tribal villages and keep doing the Mad Max way of life. We tell them "you'll be free" if you fight for your government, but all they see is corruption, inefficiency, and bullshit.

If you want people to fight and risk their lives you've got to give them more of a reason than a pay check.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:00:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey man, a guy could get killed if he gets shot at!  Why endanger your goat-pleaser if an American will fight for you?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:01:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weeks?  Don't you mean days?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:03:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:03:31 PM EDT
[#11]
The Russians used to say the same thing. After 30 years of war anybody capable of being trained to fight is
A. already doing so, or

B. Dead
what you have now is the bottom of the barrel of Afghan society. Anyone who cant do anything else joins the Army as the only economic opportunity

or simply tribal obligation. Most likely they are not worth a damn from the beginning anyway.

Several people that have been there have told me the solution to the Afghanistan problem but nobody wants to hear it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:03:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will take the Taliban to control Camp Leatherneck about as long as it takes for the ANA to strip the place of anything valuable they can sell.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:04:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Russians used to say the same thing. After 30 years of war anybody capable of being trained to fight is A. already doing so, or
B. Deadwhat you have now is the bottom of the barrel of Afghan society. Anyone who cant do anything else joins the Army as the only economic opportunity
or simply tribal obligation. Most likely they are not worth a damn from the beginning anyway.

Several people that have been there have told me the solution to the Afghanistan problem but nobody wants to hear it.
View Quote

What's the solution?

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:16:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:19:42 PM EDT
[#15]
After watching video of uber-tactically decked out iraqi SF give up to isis at the drop of a hat, I'm not one tiny bit surprised by their afghani brethren.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:23:24 PM EDT
[#16]
It's a long book but I highly recommend reading The Outpost,about the establishment of,battle for and subsequent abandoning of COP Keating. It best explains the problems of the war in a nutshell.

The part most germane to this is that while Talibs had broken through the wire,occupied a portion of the COP and were on the verge of overwhelming the American platoon and 2 Latvian trainers,the ANA hid under bunks and upon discovery did not even move. Had the Balts been Taliban,they'd have been shot having given no resistance. Furthermore,when the tide of the battle turned,the Afghans only left their hiding places to ratfuck and loot from the Americans. The Latvians ended up having to search them before putting them on helos out of there presumably because the Soldiers would have rightfully beaten them. There was one - a single - Afghan mentioned manning an MG while the rest hid.

When it comes down to it,I don't see the ANA performing much better than the Iraqis recently. My bet is that the Tajiks,Turkmen,Hazarra...will take their guns and go home. The only question is if the Pashtuns decide to replay the same game. If they don't attack,I think they're going to be left alone and the president of Afghanistan will effectively be mayor of Kabul.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:24:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dig a hole.

Add bombs.

Leave.

Tb show up move it set up training camp.

Blow up bombs.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:27:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Advertise free sexy goat orgy.

Dig a hole.

Add bombs.

Leave.

Tb show up, move in to set up training camp goat-boy rape camp.

Blow up bombs.

$$$ Profit $$$
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Advertise free sexy goat orgy.

Dig a hole.

Add bombs.

Leave.

Tb show up, move in to set up training camp goat-boy rape camp.

Blow up bombs.

$$$ Profit $$$

FIFY
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:30:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Que the Afghani soldiers doing Jumping Jacks.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Gee.

Hazaras led by Tajiks in Pashtoonistan don't feel like fighting?

what a shocker!

Stevie wonder saw this coming.

But no army GOs did.

Probably made all the posters that say, "Trust us" in Dari.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:33:58 PM EDT
[#21]
My bro who was infantry with 101st and current special forces says afghan commandos are better than US infantry.  

I told him to kindly S my D

Regular afghan troops are hit or miss ime.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:34:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the whole country will turn to shit ( even more if thats possible) it will make iraq look like disney land.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:35:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My bro who was infantry with 101st and current special forces says afghan commandos are better than US infantry.  

I told him to kindly S my D

Regular afghan troops are hit or miss ime.
View Quote

Sure they are.

right up until the point when the range becomes two way.

The only thing they have better than US Infantry is gear.

They will puss out like the rest of them without uncle sugar holding their hand.

Everybody wants to be a commando, until its time to do some commando shit.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:51:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
After watching video of uber-tactically decked out iraqi SF give up to isis at the drop of a hat, I'm not one tiny bit surprised by their afghani brethren.
View Quote

Link for the lulz....and tears
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:56:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This thread needs more Nicholas Cage
View Quote

Came here to post this.

This goes under the no shit Sherlock category.

Inbred, backwards ass, uneducated, tribal goat fuckers, with no concept of national unity, and radical Islam thrown in, yeah if anyone is shocked they are not that smart.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:31:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Why are we fighting in Afghanistan now?  

We already got Bin Laden years ago.  He was the one responsible for 911.

Obama already said that his goal was not to get rid of the Taliban and that they should have a voice in the Afghanistan government.

If the end game was to assure that the Taliban would never have a country to operate out of to support Al Qaeda to attack America again then we have pretty much blown that mission, haven't we?

At best Afghanistan will fare no better than Iraq.  It will probably be worse and all those brave American that died over there will have died for nothing.  

Nowadays the US pretty well sucks at nation building, doesn't it?  I guess we forgot how to do it after Germany, Japan and Korea, huh?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Gee.

Hazaras led by Tajiks in Pashtoonistan don't feel like fighting?

what a shocker!

Stevie wonder saw this coming.

But no army GOs did.

Probably made all the posters that say, "Trust us" in Dari.
View Quote
I'm confused. I thought the Hazaras were all buddy buddy with the Northern Alliance? What happened?

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Obama already said that his goal was not to get rid of the Taliban and that they should have a voice in the Afghanistan government.

If the end game was to assure that the Taliban would never have a country to operate out of to support Al Qaeda to attack America again then we have pretty much blown that mission, haven't we?

At best Afghanistan will fare no better than Iraq.  It will probably be worse and all those brave American that died over there will have died for nothing.  

Nowadays the US pretty well sucks at nation building, doesn't it?  I guess we forgot how to do it after Germany, Japan and Korea, huh?
View Quote
Bin laden was nothing but branding. ISI, KSM, and the same crowd we tracked and knew about since 1990 are responsible for 9/11. Speaking of which, KSM and Nidal Hasan still get 3 hots and a cot years after their attacks.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:38:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Was expecting duffleblog article.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:48:27 PM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:49:51 PM EDT
[#32]
These guys are dead they just don't know it

Free

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:50:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:51:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#35]
leave them to tend there sheep  .  
Quoted:

What's the solution?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Russians used to say the same thing. After 30 years of war anybody capable of being trained to fight is A. already doing so, or
B. Deadwhat you have now is the bottom of the barrel of Afghan society. Anyone who cant do anything else joins the Army as the only economic opportunity

What's the solution?

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#36]
It is not going to become a democracy in the middle of rocks when we leave . It is going to stay a rock strewn shithole
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:59:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Very true, the ANA and ANP that we worked with were all weak willed cowards.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:01:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nation building comes from within, not without. Germany, Korea, Japan - they were populated by Asians and Westerners, not Arabs.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:02:34 PM EDT
[#39]
I had the opportunity to work with ANA and Afghan civilians on the ground during my 1st deployment, then during my second I spent a shitload of time watching over US SF and ANA commandos while they did their thing.

Both times was like herding cats.

I would say my experience with crème of the crop ANA commandos would put them on par with your average PVT straight out of basic in a US infantry unit. That is; when they are not planning to kill you (which we caught wind of a plan to do just that)

There are some outstanding kickass dudes over there as well, but they are outnumbered 15:1 by guys who are so stupid it's a miracle they don't suffocate because they forget to breathe.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:06:33 PM EDT
[#40]
This should not come as a surprise to anyone.  They'll fold to the Taliban quickly.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:07:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Honest to fucking God, I'm so tired of hearing/reading this tripe I can't fucking stand it any more.

They died for us. We asked them to go.  We owe them our gratitude.  To say they died for nothing is to spit upon their sacrifice.  You should be ashamed.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:20:06 PM EDT
[#42]
I did not see this mentioned but watch "Camp Victory, Afghanistan" on netflix  for an eye opener oh how much the standing Afgani army sucks
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:28:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the solution?

Give up the American goal of a multi ethnic multi religious democracy. Put Rashid Dostum in charge and provide air power and advisors  for 24 months.

QED
Cut off air power if he gets to genocidal, keep back up warlord in the wings ready to go.

While Dostum was ruling northern Afghanistan before the Taliban took over in 1998, women were able to go about unveiled, girls were allowed to go to school and study at the University of Balkh in Mazar-e-Sharif, cinemas showed Indian films and music played on television, activities which were all banned by the Taliban.[29]

He viewed the ISAF forces attempt to crush the Taliban as ineffective and has gone on record saying that he could mop up the Taliban "in six months"[2] if allowed to raise a 10,000 strong army of Afghan veterans.[2] Senior Afghan government officials do not trust Dostum as they are concerned that he might be secretly rearming his forces
.[2]

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:36:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Put Sherzai back in charge of Kandahar.

He had that shit locked down until WE demanded he be removed in 2006

That was why AFghanistan fell apart.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:39:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Canned sunshine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the solution?

Canned sunshine.

I can dig it, any Neutron Bombs left in the inventory?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:42:07 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's the solution?

Well in a nutshell --and I am not advocating this in any way shape or form-- the common theme I have heard is you would have to wipe out the entire population. And I was not implying you guys didnt want to hear it I meant the country as a whole. Mainly because IMHO it turns us into the bad guys here. Otherwise we just leave.  I do think we need some sort of law or something that says once the politicians send the military to wage war on somebody they need to stay out of the way and give the .mil the freedom to do what is nesscessary to win.
If we are not going to win these entanglements there is no sense in going.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:42:38 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

that's confidence inspiring  
Watching them retards do jumping jacks is one of my hobbies.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:46:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Put Sherzai back in charge of Kandahar.

He had that shit locked down until WE demanded he be removed in 2006

That was why AFghanistan fell apart.
View Quote

Researching.

ETA; From wiki

Sherzai's capture of Kandahar in late 2001, with assistance from American special forces and Hamid Karzai, marked the first time territory in southern Afghanistan had been captured from the Taliban forces.

According to Matthieu Aikins, writing in Harper's magazine Karzai appointed a Mullah Naqib to the Governorship of Kandarhar.[2] Aikins reported that American officials favored Sherzai over Karzai's choice, and encouraged him to oust Mullah Naqib.

An on-the-ground witness, Sarah Chayes, has written a well documented account of Sherzai's warlord behavior following the U.S. invasion.[3]

In August 2003, Afghan President Karzai decreed that officials could no longer hold both military and civil posts, and replaced Sherzai with Yousef Pashtun as Governor of Kandahar.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:48:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You think these are Mormon Afghan army troops?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They need some sort of ideology to motivate them to kill anyone without remorse.  Hmmmm................?
You think these are Mormon Afghan army troops?  

Better change that to Jehovah's Witnesses.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:15:20 PM EDT
[#50]
3rd Group team?

Also, this can be a CAS thread.

"Yet, the 180,00 Soldier Army cannot perform complex operations, such as close air support."

A bit Ironic, given the context.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top