Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 10/26/2014 3:54:41 PM EDT
The title is pretty self explanatory but the long story is I came home from work one day to a handwritten envelope with no return address in the mail. To my surprise inside was a traffic summons for a seat belt violation for the driver and passenger. All my information was present on the ticket down to my DL#. The only problem is I've never been pulled over in that city of Rhode Island in my entire life. I went to the station the day I got it and the officer behind the counter was surprised I received it in the mail. He gave me the information of the officer that (supposedly) pulled me over. The next morning I called the number and spoke to the officer who told me that it may not have been me but it was definitely my car that he stopped. I'm hesitant to let my 50 year old mother drive my car, and not to mention I put my seat belt on before I even back out of the driveway. The officer told me to go to the first summons date and plead not guilty, then find out who was driving my car and bring them to the trial date. When I went to the office to get my trial date I was shown the original ticket with "my" signature on it and it was nowhere close. The trial date is Dec 18th. I can't afford an attorney so I was thinking of getting ahold of the Attorney General's office to ask them for advice. Anyone else ever heard of something like this?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The title is pretty self explanatory but the long story is I came home from work one day to a handwritten envelope with no return address in the mail. To my surprise inside was a traffic summons for a seat belt violation for the driver and passenger. All my information was present on the ticket down to my DL#. The only problem is I've never been pulled over in that city of Rhode Island in my entire life. I went to the station the day I got it and the officer behind the counter was surprised I received it in the mail. He gave me the information of the officer that (supposedly) pulled me over. The next morning I called the number and spoke to the officer who told me that it may not have been me but it was definitely my car that he stopped. I'm hesitant to let my 50 year old mother drive my car, and not to mention I put my seat belt on before I even back out of the driveway. The officer told me to go to the first summons date and plead not guilty, then find out who was driving my car and bring them to the trial date. When I went to the office to get my trial date I was shown the original ticket with "my" signature on it and it was nowhere close. The trial date is Dec 18th. I can't afford an attorney so I was thinking of getting ahold of the Attorney General's office to ask them for advice. Anyone else ever heard of something like this?
View Quote

In for laughs.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:58:20 PM EDT
[#2]
You should have recorded that conversation with the officer if he has no idea who was driving.

That's crazy. Ask for a supervisor and get that sorted out immediately.

Do you have an ....alibi for that time and is your vehicle listed on the ticket?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:00:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fuck that.

Go in, plead not guilty and do nothing further to assist them in this bullshit ticket.

Tell them that it was not you, that is not your signature, and even if you know who it was just shut up and don't say anything.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:03:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Check your credit cards and other financial information. Someone may be out there using your name without your knowledge.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:06:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check your credit cards and other financial information. Someone may be out there using your name without your knowledge.
View Quote

Using his car too?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:09:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Driving his car?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:11:31 PM EDT
[#7]
If the cop pulled someone over, why was the summons in the mail ?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Sounds like identity theft.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:12:22 PM EDT
[#9]
He probably got to your DL number from an incorrect license plate he fat fingered when he pulled over someone else.

The guy driving probably said it was his brother's or friend's car.

Then the system ticketed you by mistake

Either that or an ISIS sleeper cell is targeting you for replacement.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:12:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds fishy. So that officer pulled somebody else over and gave had your id on them or the officer maybe took down the wrong plate nmber and forged a signature.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:12:34 PM EDT
[#11]
OP when you say nowhere close, was it signed in your name?  

Go the dept, talk to supervisor, and get them to investigate it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:12:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm hesitant to let my 50 year old mother drive my car,
View Quote

This neither confirms nor denies your mother having driven the car, although passing herself off as you would seem unlikely.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:12:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Driving his car?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Driving his car?

Them scammers are sneaky
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:13:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Go to court tell judge not you, not your signature, and if the cop had truly pulled you over, why did he have to mail ticket?  Should have given it to you during the traffic stop.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:15:44 PM EDT
[#15]
You might be going crazy. Talk to a close family member.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Something is fishy here .
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Tagscribe
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:20:28 PM EDT
[#18]

I think we has some split personality shit going on here.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:21:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Is it possible or not someone else was driving your car at the time?

Is the signature on ticket in your name?

Mailing sounds sketchy.

If it's not possible it was your car, and the signature is forged. It sounds like the cop got your plate number, looked it up in the system, and then fabricated a ticket.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:22:17 PM EDT
[#20]
WTF?

So much wrong with this story.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:22:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Interdasting.  Given that your vehicle was supposedly pulled over, why did the ticket come in the mail?  Why wouldn't the officer have given the driver the ticket on the spot?  Never heard of that.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:22:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I think we has some split personality shit going on here.

View Quote

In before the photo enforcement pic.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:24:09 PM EDT
[#23]
In on this shit
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:25:06 PM EDT
[#24]
I got a warning in the mail for driving in the carpool alone but I did that shit.

My buddy got a ticket in the mail for running a red but his girlfriend did that shit.

Who was driving your car?

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:28:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I had something like that happen years ago.  

I got a parking ticket in the mail from a place I had never been to and was at work about two and a half hours away at the date and time the ticket was for.

I called Chief there, answered a few questions, he said it must have been a mistake and that was it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:29:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Op what town?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:29:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You should have recorded that conversation with the officer if he has no idea who was driving.

Do you have an ....alibi for that time and is your vehicle listed on the ticket?
View Quote

I honestly don't know if dealing with a supervisor will help. He told me on the phone that we would have to wait until the trial date so he could he could see "if it was in fact you that I pulled over". I offered to meet the officer at the station to sort this out the day I called him and he changed the subject.

If it was the day I believe it was I was in bed sleeping. I usually work Saturdays but they didn't need me that day so I got to sleep in.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:32:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Shut up and pay, then pick up that can!  You gonna get tazed Dindo, you gonna get tazed.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:32:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Op what town?
View Quote

East Providence. I had to google the address on the ticket. Beside the day I got the ticket and went to the station I hadn't been in EP at all in 2014.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:35:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Did you lend your vehicle out on the date of the ticket?

If not, they got the wrong info.
Go to court, plead not guilty, and make the officer prove it was you.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I honestly don't know if dealing with a supervisor will help. He told me on the phone that we would have to wait until the trial date so he could he could see "if it was in fact you that I pulled over". I offered to meet the officer at the station to sort this out the day I called him and he changed the subject.

If it was the day I believe it was I was in bed sleeping. I usually work Saturdays but they didn't need me that day so I got to sleep in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that right there explains it.
You were sleep driving. You know, just like sleepwalking but driving.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:37:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
OP when you say nowhere close, was it signed in your name?  

Go the dept, talk to supervisor, and get them to investigate it.
View Quote

It did look like my name but it was nowhere close to my signature.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:37:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Someone is using your ID/info.....

I'll bet who ever stole your info actually received the ticket and then stuck it the mail for you to pay.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:40:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Screw that call someone else.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:40:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't laugh, that shit can happen on ambien.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:41:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. How can you write someone if you can't even prove they were driving?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:42:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Interdasting.  Given that your vehicle was supposedly pulled over, why did the ticket come in the mail?  Why wouldn't the officer have given the driver the ticket on the spot?  Never heard of that.
View Quote

This is what I would ask in courtm also, why it came handwritten in the mail instead of in an official envelope.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:42:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Someone borrowed your car, got a ticket, and then put the summons on your porch.  Find out who.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:43:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Don't throw that envelope away, and this is some crazy shit OP, I would be fucking furious having to miss work over some BS ticket that I guess they forgot to give to you so they put it n the mail.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:45:51 PM EDT
[#40]
In for results
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:48:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
In for results
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:49:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Ambien. The cop is taking it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:50:21 PM EDT
[#43]
uhh.. sounds like police are making shit up
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:50:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Something's fucky.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:54:20 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Go in, plead not guilty and do nothing further to assist them in this bullshit ticket.

Tell them that it was not you, that is not your signature, and even if you know who it was just shut up and don't say anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

When I went to the office to get my trial date I was shown the original ticket with "my" signature on it and it was nowhere close. The trial date is Dec 18th. I can't afford an attorney so I was thinking of getting ahold of the Attorney General's office to ask them for advice. Anyone else ever heard of something like this?

This is the correct answer.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:54:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
uhh.. sounds like police are making shit up
View Quote

Or OP.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In for results

http://i.imgur.com/6lYZZM6.png

What exactly do you expect me to deliver?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:56:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Our court has a Not Me unit for times when someone uses ur name. Time and date? Who was driving ur car?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:57:12 PM EDT
[#49]
The next morning I called the number and spoke to the officer who told me that it may not have been me but it was definitely my car
View Quote

I'm going to play TV lawyer here...

If he admitted it may not have been you that was driving, then how does he know who he ticketed?

If it was your car, did he issue the ticket to your car?  

Do you have that conversation on tape?  I'd think a cop admitting that he didn't know who was driving would pretty much cast doubt on the fact that it was you.

/TVlawyer
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#50]

I'm hesitant to let my 50 year old mother drive my car,
View Quote

Pics of mom?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top