Page / 4
Posted: 10/25/2014 3:15:18 PM EDT
Seems like most people are too scared to say anything, I speak up
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:18:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Absolutely
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:19:08 PM EDT
[#2]
It's been YEARS since someone was loud and disruptive in my favorite theater.

Does it even happen anymore?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:23:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I seem to remember a guy that tried that and it didn't turn out so well for him. Just sayin'.

I expect rude distractions in a movie theater. It's not my freaking living room after all, and I shouldn't expect it to be.
Which is why I prefer to just rent a movie.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:25:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Shined a loudmouth with my Surefire once.  He sure didn't like that.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:26:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I get the number of the theater on my way in.  I call the manger from my seat and report the assholes.

Also it helps to go to "grown-up" movies.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:27:17 PM EDT
[#6]
No I mind my own business.

If it bugs me to the point of not hearing the movie, I'll probably just move closer to the front so I can hear.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:28:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I pick off peak hours to go see movies, which coincidentally that particular demographic known for talking during movies is rarely there.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:28:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Unless someone is causing myself or others bodily harm I leave it be as its just not worth the potential outcome. I spoke up once got jumped on the way out of the theater and I almost spent time in jail but that was in Florida so I should have known better.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:32:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Most movies I bother to see in the theater are big visual spectacles that need to be seen on the big screen.  As such, they are usually very LOUD and drown out people talking.  Back in the day before on-demand movies and such, I would sometimes encounter loud talkers and I would always tell them to shut up.
Once, during Return of the King, there was a 20-something hipster sitting in front of me with an older woman I assumed was his mother.  He kept talking loud...loud enough to even drown out the movie.  The first time, I said "Shhh."  The second time I said very clearly "Shut up."  The last time, I kicked the back of his chair and when he looked around I leaned forward and said "Shut. The. FUCK. Up."
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:33:17 PM EDT
[#10]
It's Florida, what do you think?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:35:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

(b) The use of force against another is not justified:

(1) in response to verbal provocation alone;

(2) to resist an arrest or search that the actor knows is being made by a peace officer, or by a person acting in a peace officer's presence and at his direction, even though the arrest or search is unlawful, unless the resistance is justified under Subsection (c);

(3) if the actor consented to the exact force used or attempted by the other;

(4) if the actor provoked the other's use or attempted use of unlawful force, unless:
View Quote

People talking in theaters.  People smoking on outdoor patios right when I get my food.  People who brake check me or cut me off.   I don't start anything with anyone.  

In my opinion, part of being a responsible armed citizen is not poking any monkeys you encounter on a daily basis with a stick.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:37:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

People talking in theaters.  People smoking on outdoor patios right when I get my food.  People who brake check me or cut me off.   I don't start anything with anyone.  

In my opinion, part of being a responsible armed citizen is not poking any monkeys you encounter on a daily basis with a stick.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(b) The use of force against another is not justified:

(1) in response to verbal provocation alone;

(2) to resist an arrest or search that the actor knows is being made by a peace officer, or by a person acting in a peace officer's presence and at his direction, even though the arrest or search is unlawful, unless the resistance is justified under Subsection (c);

(3) if the actor consented to the exact force used or attempted by the other;

(4) if the actor provoked the other's use or attempted use of unlawful force, unless:

Exactly
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:38:03 PM EDT
[#13]
The movie theater I go to has a person that walks through every once in a while to make sure everyone is being quiet.

I did yell shut up in the last Harry Potter film, 4 teenagers doing bad impersonations of the actors during the movie... they left before the credits rolled.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:41:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I was once in a movie theater where the manager stopped the movie and turned on the lights to confront some folks who were being disruptive.

Said disruptive persons then accused the manager of racism.

This was in Mississippi.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:42:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I seem to remember a guy that tried that and it didn't turn out so well for him. Just sayin'.

I expect rude distractions in a movie theater. It's not my freaking living room after all, and I shouldn't expect it to be.
View Quote

If by not tuning out well, you mean he shot the guy being loud  and is setting in jail, then yea.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:43:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:47:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:47:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I was once in a movie theater where the manager stopped the movie and turned on the lights to confront some folks who were being disruptive.

Said disruptive persons then accused the manager of racism.

This was in Mississippi.
View Quote

That's why I live and see movies far away from people who think that it's "racist" to be quiet in movie theaters.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:48:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I throat punch them
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:50:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
lol

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:51:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I tell them to shut the fuck up. If they want to stab or shoot me I really don't give a fuck anymore. Most people are assholes that talk during movies and should be called out on it.

Everyone will bitch but not say anything and until someone stands up to them they will keep doing and fuck them if you hurt their feeling.

Edit: years ago I had told someone to keep it down and when they threatened me with harm I laughed at them and "said that the difference between you and me is that I'm not afraid to die" they shut up and moved to a different area of the theater and advoided me during the exit of the place.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:51:59 PM EDT
[#22]
A 900 lumen blast from the flashlight usually works quite well.

Enjoy your spotty vision, asshole.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:54:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Anytime I go to the movies anymore it is with my children.  So watching kids movies it is to be expected that there will be some noise.  Seriously man up and just ignore them.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:57:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Haven't been to a theater for years.

58" high-def, 200 watt sound, alcoholic beverages at a fraction of the cost for theater sodas,great food, a nice fire if it's winter, clean bathrooms, etc.

Loud patrons, cell phones, yappy kids, long drives and high prices?

No thanks.......
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:59:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The movie theater I go to has a person that walks through every once in a while to make sure everyone is being quiet.

I did yell shut up in the last Harry Potter film, 4 teenagers doing bad impersonations of the actors during the movie... they left before the credits rolled.
View Quote

You yelled shut up...to teenagers being loud...during a Harry fucking potter movie. And they're the assholes.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:01:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You yelled shut up...to teenagers being loud...during a Harry fucking potter movie. And they're the assholes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are.  But it's less surprising to encounter asshole at kid's movies.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:01:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I normally don't go to the movies. I try and avoid shit bags out in public as much as possible.

When I do....The theater we frequent is located in a small town( Starke,FL), locally owned and operated that occasionally has blockbusters. Most movie moviegoers there are quiet and respectful.

Imagine that!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:05:53 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clearly a case of when assholes collide. Although I would never think of YELLING at teenagers to SHUT UP during a KIDS MOVIE.
after all, someone has to be the adult.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:15:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
lol  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol  

This is totally true, tons of people talk and act stupid in theaters now, most are just unaware of how to conduct themselves properly. So
a real loud "shut the fuck up"  will almost always quiet them and it starts their education in how to behave.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:18:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Yep. Wife hates it
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:20:41 PM EDT
[#32]

Sure, especially if they are Yutes  - it always turns out well

edit - I can't remember the last time we went to "the movies" - why would I, with a large screen and surround sound at home

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:23:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Clearly a case of when assholes collide. Although I would never think of YELLING at teenagers to SHUT UP during a KIDS MOVIE.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The key word there is "teenagers".  Telling a toddler to shut the fuck up would be pointless, since the kid isn't even old enough to get that he or she was being disruptive.  But a 13 or 14 year old (or even older)?  They know, so they're fair game.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:24:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
       Sure, especially if they are Yutes  - it always turns out well

edit - I can't remember the last time we went to "the movies" - why would I, with a large screen and surround sound at home

View Quote

I also do most of my movie viewing at home, for the same reason.  I have a big ass TV, surround sound, better food, clean bathroom, etc.  But once in a while I don't feel like waiting several months for some movie to make it to Netflix.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:26:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Problem solved, tragedy averted, and a small fortune saved by renting and watching at home.
You can get a good DLP projector and recreate the experience at home.
Minus the obnoxious idiots, and ridiculous concession prices (not to mention that you can watch TV programming).
Sporting events are much better with the right set up.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#36]
No, but when people shoot disruptive people I bet Pmags they don't do jail time
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:27:30 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

This is totally true, tons of people talk and act stupid in theaters now, most are just unaware of how to conduct themselves properly. So

a real loud "shut the fuck up"  will almost always quiet them and it starts their education in how to behave.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol  

I wasn't calling bullshit, I actually chuckled.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:31:18 PM EDT
[#38]
So many bad ass's in this thread!

Personally I prefer not to start confrontations when I carry which is always.

To each his own.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:34:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Hasn't happened in a long time, prolly 15yrs ago. Some people few rows up were talking loud enough to be disruptive, I said out loud "COULD YOU BE QUIET PLEASE???"

They shut up.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:35:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

To each his own.
View Quote

Your standards for "bad ass" are a lot lower than mine.  I'd doubt that people tell loud people to shut up in theaters to be bad asses.  I'm thinking they're more interested in not having the movie they paid to see  be disrupted by idiots.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:36:20 PM EDT
[#41]
I like to bellow "SILENCE!!!" in my command voice.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:39:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Yes.  I don't care to.  I have also called the mgmt and asked them to take care of it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:39:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The key word there is "teenagers".  Telling a toddler to shut the fuck up would be pointless, since the kid isn't even old enough to get that he or she was being disruptive.  But a 13 or 14 year old (or even older)?  They know, so they're fair game.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok let's game plan this.

50 paying customers watching a movie. A movie made for pre-teens
3 teenagers "doing bad impersonations of the actors"
1 adult YELLING
=
46 paying customers looking at the adult YELLING IN A MOVIE THEATRE, saying to themselves...yes, you guessed it... What an asshole.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:40:05 PM EDT
[#44]
I usually don't bother, because someone more butthurt about it beats me to it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:45:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

To each his own.
View Quote

You have no idea. When someone is too loud during the movie I dump my tub of soda all over them. If they attempt to fight me after this I punch them in the face super duper hard. If their reaction feels threatening to me then I ventilate them with my 10mm on the spot. I don't do jail time. I am a badass.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#46]
My last encounter was with a van full of downs syndrome folks, luckily I recognized the obvious before saying anything. I just left and got and got a refund.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:47:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Ok let's game plan this.

50 paying customers watching a movie. A movie made for pre-teens
3 teenagers "doing bad impersonations of the actors"
1 adult YELLING
=
46 paying customers looking at the adult YELLING IN A MOVIE THEATRE, saying to themselves...yes, you guessed it... What an asshole.
View Quote

These other 46 people are part of the problem.  What you allow is what will continue.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:49:30 PM EDT
[#48]
If just  a couple of people I ask nicely. Always works.

If a group, I talk to management.  

Getting in faces is useless if I am there to watch a movie in peace.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:52:26 PM EDT
[#49]
No.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:00:55 PM EDT
[#50]
We see a lot of movies. It's our thing.

We go to a theater that has an upstairs with nice seats, food, liquor and a waitress just a push of the button away.

Nobody under 21.

No dumb shit.  

Going to see John Wick here in just a little bit.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top