Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

since
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well sense people are personally attacking site staff now I will go ahead and say IBTL.

since

Dammit.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:34:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

It's indeed a bit of a conundrum.

But it's fun watching cops jump back and forth over the fence regarding it. Because ultimately, it's about them, and the authority they assert.

They need to decide if they're "just following orders" or are actually interested in doing the right thing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They can't decide which laws are Constitutional or not.  They have no authority to do that.

That's kinda getting into a gray area... almost a semantic argument.   "Unconstitutional" vs. "Illegal"....

Like others have mentioned... cops enforcing Jim Crow laws were perfectly legal per the laws or their jurisdictions at the time.

No, it's a legalistic dodge of the ethical argument.

It evades the responsibility for enforcing unConsitutional laws by taking the populist view that just because it's the law, it's right.

Most people are best only for doing what they're told.

As I see it, there are two camps here. Both agree that LE works under authority and can't just decide for themselves what to enforce. One group says that that authority is what their direct superiors say is The Law. The other group says that LE should exercise their own conscience and hold the Constitution as the standard and make judgements accordingly.

It's indeed a bit of a conundrum.

But it's fun watching cops jump back and forth over the fence regarding it. Because ultimately, it's about them, and the authority they assert.

They need to decide if they're "just following orders" or are actually interested in doing the right thing.

no it's really not a conundrum if they speak up and force their union to fight it.  These laws only get passed with le union nod just like CT and NY.  In both states the Gov's discussed at length, police enforcement with the union before passing.  If unions say NO, these laws don't get passed because no Gov is gonna push against the police unions.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:34:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:35:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Op be trolling

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:35:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I don't recall the last toddler flash-banged by a squad of attorneys.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can order me to hammer someone to a cross, but I won't pick up the hammer. We're all responsible in the end for our own actions.  

If a man decides to take up arms against an American for having an AR15, or for sitting in the front of a bus when a black man is supposed to sit in the back, thirty pieces of silver is no excuse.

Yet lawyers do theirs for sixty pieces of silver and call it legal.  

You are so full of shit, just like most lawyers.  

No, they just sue the hell out of people and companies for crazy shit, forcing them to pay to defend themselves against worthless lawsuits.   Or, if they are defense attorney's they go after the cops personally instead of defending their client based on the case itself.  Pitchess motions are a clasic example.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:35:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I love it when site staff kick off a shit storm in GD.

And when the most senior site staffer does it, priceless!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-jfSWmlC6iA8/TpCR5-pdqSI/AAAAAAAAJYs/wsFr96jsY0E/s320/Jaws_079Pyxurz.jpg

Click-click-click........................

Click...click...
View Quote

You win tha internez today.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:36:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Well okay, that's good to know.

I am sure that like me, you consider the restriction against machine guns to be un-Constitutional.  When will you post a thread about how you have manufactured one because the law is unconstitutional?

Because "It is every man's duty to determine honestly what the founders meant when they formed the nation and act accordingly".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So let me know the first time a cop calls the local TV station and says "Look, I've done this for fifteen years, and really wanted to keep helping my community, but since the passage of the SAFE Act it is clear that I will be required to violate people's constitutional rights so I'm done, ......

So, you are a lawyer, yet you believe it is the responsibility of police officers to determine what is Constitutional and what is not?

Can we just do away with Judges and the court system?  We could sure save a ton of money.

It is every man's duty to determine honestly what the founders meant when they formed the nation and act accordingly.

Well okay, that's good to know.

I am sure that like me, you consider the restriction against machine guns to be un-Constitutional.  When will you post a thread about how you have manufactured one because the law is unconstitutional?

Because "It is every man's duty to determine honestly what the founders meant when they formed the nation and act accordingly".

All men self determine what level of rule they will live under.

At what point a man will go "overt" with his defiance is his own choice.

To a rational man, there is no need to be suicidal in dissent or disobeyance.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:36:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:36:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I love it when site staff kick off a shit storm in GD.

And when the most senior site staffer does it, priceless!
View Quote

Canadians.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:37:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

He has a fiduciary responsibility to his guilty client.  You wouldn't understand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can order me to hammer someone to a cross, but I won't pick up the hammer. We're all responsible in the end for our own actions.  

If a man decides to take up arms against an American for having an AR15, or for sitting in the front of a bus when a black man is supposed to sit in the back, thirty pieces of silver is no excuse.

He has a fiduciary responsibility to his guilty client.  You wouldn't understand.

I completely understand after 36 plus years in the legal system.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:38:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Am I the only one with my pants off in this thread?

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:38:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The police need that equipment for the appropriate circumstances. Problem is most cops generate revenue. Not fighting ms13 or American Taliban in quiet little towns.
And yes they do view citizens as "the enemy" and will "do what needs to be done" so they "can go home at night". Which means citizens rights and lives are secondary to police.
View Quote

things are different in the US then in china.
come visit sometime.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:38:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
they go after the cops personally instead of defending their client based on the case itself.  Pitchess motions are a clasic example.  
View Quote

If the arresting/investigating officers have done nothing wrong, what do they have to fear from the defense attorney?

Isn't that how it goes?  

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:39:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I gave up after the author tried to cite the 2nd Amendment as to justification for LEOs having military equipment. The Bill of Rights isn't about what the government can have.
View Quote

cops are citizens too.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:39:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's Saturday.  I haven't had any pants on since 5:30 yesterday afternoon.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:40:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

A model ad hominem - attacks the character of the speaker without addressing the meat of the argument.

Textbook, good sir. Textbook.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:40:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
No, they just sue the hell out of people and companies for crazy shit, forcing them to pay to defend themselves against worthless lawsuits.   Or, if they are defense attorney's they go after the cops personally instead of defending their client based on the case itself.  Pitchess motions are a clasic example.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:40:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:40:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

cops are citizens too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I gave up after the author tried to cite the 2nd Amendment as to justification for LEOs having military equipment. The Bill of Rights isn't about what the government can have.

cops are citizens too.

I like the one guy who tried to use websters as his reference that cops aren't civilians.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:40:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:40:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote

You are now. I have to get some tortillas for supper.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:41:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.

Even the guilty are entitled to effective legal counsel. The truth of the matter is that if a guilty man is given ineffective counsel and in turn is found guilty in spite of proseuctorial misconduct or violations of that guilty man's rights, justice has not been done. Effective counsel for defendants is necessary to ensure that justice is actually served, that the laws are followed by everyone (including the government). It forces the police and prosecutors to work harder to make solid cases. It forces them to improve the quality of their work. Remember the maxim that it is better for one hundred guilty men to go free than for one innocent man to hang? That's ensured by attorneys representing all of their clients to the best of their abilities, regardless of their client's guilt.

That's also why I, as a law student, have no interest in working as a defense attorney. I'm not certain that I'd be able to represent someone that I believed to be guilty to the best of my abilities. However, I have tremendous respect for those principled attorneys that are able to do so. They are what allows our justice system to function as well as it usually does.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:42:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

cops are citizens too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

cops are citizens too.

With our immigration policy being what it's been for the last few decades.... are we sure about that?  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:42:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Holy troll thread Batman

Who whines like Internet cops? Jesus Christ, there are threads here constantly bitching about lawyers, union carpenters, auto mechanics, car salesmen. But you know who -sniffle-sniffle- whines and leaves the Internet like a 13 year old who got cut from the junior high cheer team? You know who.

So let me know the first time a cop calls the local TV station and says "Look, I've done this for fifteen years, and really wanted to keep helping my community, but since the passage of the SAFE Act it is clear that I will be required to violate people's constitutional rights so I'm done, and I call on my fellow officers to do what's right. Sure I'm losing free dental and there are not a lot of other jobs for me to go into, but I'm not going to rationalize doing the wrong thing by saying it's okay because the legislature passed this law and I'm just following orders. I'm looking for work, please call if you have any openings."

View Quote

why would you want good cops to quit and clear the way for a yes man?
seems like a stupid plan for getting your rights back.,
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:43:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If the arresting/investigating officers have done nothing wrong, what do they have to fear from the defense attorney?

Isn't that how it goes?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
they go after the cops personally instead of defending their client based on the case itself.  Pitchess motions are a clasic example.  

Isn't that how it goes?  

Nothing, my cops are quite good at what they do and have "zero" citizen complaints.  I have a great crew.   I have a problem when lawyers think they can make their case by mucking up the waters by mud slinging at the cop instead of just defending their client, as they should, based on the evidence.  They do it under the guise of "if I flick enough mud, something will stick" routine.   It is complete bullshit and a waste of the courts time and availablibity.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:44:52 PM EDT
[#27]
The problem is two fold in my opinion.  A natural human tendency to drift towards a  tyrannical government, even if it is only soft tyranny and an apathetic population.

I don't get why people bitch about the police having cargo pants, armored vehicles, and EBR's.  My thoughts on how a police force should be armed should be the decision of the respective police force's tax payers.

What I do have a problem with is government that participates in infringing on civil liberties.  While police can be/are only a small part of the problem they are where the rubber meets the road.  I don't have any respect for anyone who enforces unconstitutional gun laws, non border check points, stop and frisks without RS of a crime and RS that the person is armed, etc...

I'm far too apathetic or maybe even selfish anymore to care.  There was a time I would donate money to legal defense funds, write congress critters, and participate in local government where policy was easily affected.  Now like most people I do little more than bitch about it on the internet.  So in that respect that makes me and others like me part of the problem as well.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:47:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Site staff throws out a troll thread and the threatens people. Pft.  
View Quote

This.

However, issues with law enforcement should really have nothing to do with the gear they have or clothes they wear but the laws they are enforcing. As such, the problem is with the people who vote for those laws, rather than those who enforce it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:48:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Nothing, my cops are quite good at what they do and have "zero" citizen complaints.  I have a great crew.   I have a problem when lawyers think they can make their case by mucking up the waters by mud slinging at the cop instead of just defending their client, as they should, based on the evidence.  They do it under the guise of "if I flick enough mud, something will stick" routine.   It is complete bullshit and a waste of the courts time and availablibity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't that how it goes?  

absolutely happens and makes me sick
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:48:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
"If you say cops shouldn’t have access to “military” style equipment, then you might as well just say “lets cancel the Second Amendment.” "

OK, then when the 2nd doesn't apply to citizens, is it also fair to apply those same standards to police?  Bullet buttons and 7 rounds mags for LE in those respective states, also.
View Quote

Good point.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:48:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This.

However, issues with law enforcement should really have nothing to do with the gear they have or clothes they wear but the laws they are enforcing. As such, the problem is with the people who vote for those laws, rather than those who enforce it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Now there is a reasonable thought.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:49:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:49:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he meant financial.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:50:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

If NavyDoc1 said the sky was pink I would have to go outside and check.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:50:23 PM EDT
[#36]
NVM
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:50:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I have a problem when lawyers think they can make their case by mucking up the waters by mud slinging at the cop instead of just defending their client, as they should, based on the evidence.  They do it under the guise of "if I flick enough mud, something will stick" routine.   It is complete bullshit and a waste of the courts time and availablibity.
View Quote

So there's a subset of a group involved in the criminal justice system that is known to use legal but reprehensible tactics, abuse its authority and stretch the limits of what it's allowed to do in order to make its job easier?

Isn't that kinda what the "cop-bashers" are complaining about?  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:50:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually...no.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:51:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Of course they should.  But they are sworn to enforce the laws of the land, as passed by the Legislatures and ruled Constitutional by the Court system.  They can't decide which laws are Constitutional or not.  They have no authority to do that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Enforcing the law is, in fact and action, interpretation of the Constitution.

That's the silliest thing I've ever seen you post.

You are posting with emotion, not logic.

The Court system decides what is Constitutional or not, not policemen.

Are you saying cops should not have or use discretion?

Of course they should.  But they are sworn to enforce the laws of the land, as passed by the Legislatures and ruled Constitutional by the Court system.  They can't decide which laws are Constitutional or not.  They have no authority to do that.

My middle school education tells me that the government consistes of three branches all set against each other. But you seem to be suggesting that the Executive branch has no obligation other than to do what they are told.

If the Executive branch has no choice but to execute the laws as created by Legislature and approved by the Courts, then why did the founders set the executive branch against the other two? What is the purpose of an Executive branch that just "does what they are told"?

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:52:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

disagree

the tactics and training are paramilitary in fact, if you look at the change in definition and view of LE over the past 50yrs, you will see a sharp move away from 'part of the community' to 'we are not civilians on the job'.  There is very much an us vs. them mentality with LE seeing themselves as non civilians and on community members.  Many internal reviews have affirmed this (at least up here).  I will also add that the academy training is certainly paramilitary when it should focus on other things

go ahead and do a poll for LE or visit LE web forums and pose the question; are you civilan if LE?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:52:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Article complete misses, or more likely intentionally ignores, why many people hate and fear the police.  Not criminals, just ordinary people with legitimate reasons to feel the way they do.

Hard to believe someone actually wasted their time writing that piece...unless they were paid to by a bunch of cops.  But hey, that couldn't happen, could it?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:54:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

disagree

the tactics and training are paramilitary in fact, if you look at the change in definition and view of LE over the past 50yrs, you will see a sharp move away from 'part of the community' to 'we are not civilians on the job'.  There is very much an us vs. them mentality with LE seeing themselves as non civilians and on community members.  Many internal reviews have affirmed this (at least up here).  I will also add that the academy training is certainly paramilitary when it should focus on other things

go ahead and do a poll for LE or visit LE web forums and pose the question; are you civilan if LE?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

disagree

Firefighting is a paramilitary organization to...
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:55:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

My middle school education tells me that the government consistes of three branches all set against each other. But you seem to be suggesting that the Executive branch has no obligation other than to do what they are told.

If the Executive branch has no choice but to execute the laws as created by Legislature and approved by the Courts, then why did the founders set the executive branch against the other two? What is the purpose of an Executive branch that just "does what they are told"?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Enforcing the law is, in fact and action, interpretation of the Constitution.

That's the silliest thing I've ever seen you post.

You are posting with emotion, not logic.

The Court system decides what is Constitutional or not, not policemen.

Are you saying cops should not have or use discretion?

game set match

agree that the sharp rise in anti police views over the past 2 decades is something to consider and watch.  I find it hard to believe that the vast majority of these people are somehow picking on a singular profession.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:55:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Assuming the "good" cop knows the "bad" cop is commiting a crime and actually has the probable cause to justify the arrest, he should. That said the "good" cop cant read minds and doesnt know the reasons for the "bad" cops actions. He most likely wasnt even there for much of the developing situation.

This is why EVERY use of force is investigated by a supervisor in progressive departments. Including interviewing the officers, suspect, reviewing audio and video footage, ect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not a cop basher at all, but why doesn't the author address those states where LEO get special exemptions from gun laws?  Where the equipment they carry is a felony for non LEO to own?

Agree.

There are other issues that weren't mentioned.

One issue is cops who don't arrest other another cop when that cop commits a crime in the first officer's presence.

Assuming the "good" cop knows the "bad" cop is commiting a crime and actually has the probable cause to justify the arrest, he should. That said the "good" cop cant read minds and doesnt know the reasons for the "bad" cops actions. He most likely wasnt even there for much of the developing situation.

This is why EVERY use of force is investigated by a supervisor in progressive departments. Including interviewing the officers, suspect, reviewing audio and video footage, ect.

The specific instance I thought of was in south Florida, IIRC Broward County. Cop rear-ended a car at an intersection. Cop approached the driver and realized that she was over the limit - DUI. He then wrote a report claiming that she backed into him. He did this in the presence of another cop.

The rectal searches in Texas and New Mexico (?) are another example. If some cop wants to stick his finger up somebody's ass to search fro contraband, he'd better have a warrant and one hell of a lot of probable cause. Even with the warrant, it chocks the conscience. The war on drugs is supposed to protect society from a scourge, but rectal penetration is a far worse scourge. What rational man thinks he improves the world with this?

This should not be limited to a discussion of police departments as examples of government power gone wrong. For a vivid example of a megalomaniac with government authority, take a look at U.S. Postal Censor Anthony Comstock. Comstock was proud of the suicides of people faced with his ridiculous prosecutions. This was at a time when publishers were afraid to mail medical textbooks because Comstock might deem the anatomical plates to be obscene.

Such individuals have always existed and will always exist. The task of free people is to ensure there are limits on the amount of damage that these looney-toons can effect.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:55:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Firefighter are a paramilitary organization to...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

disagree

Firefighter are a paramilitary organization to...

respectfully, go back 50years and look at the change in definition and you will see what I'm saying
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:57:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:57:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Exactly.

Even the guilty are entitled to effective legal counsel. The truth of the matter is that if a guilty man is given ineffective counsel and in turn is found guilty in spite of proseuctorial misconduct or violations of that guilty man's rights, justice has not been done. Effective counsel for defendants is necessary to ensure that justice is actually served, that the laws are followed by everyone (including the government). It forces the police and prosecutors to work harder to make solid cases. It forces them to improve the quality of their work. Remember the maxim that it is better for one hundred guilty men to go free than for one innocent man to hang? That's ensured by attorneys representing all of their clients to the best of their abilities, regardless of their client's guilt.

That's also why I, as a law student, have no interest in working as a defense attorney. I'm not certain that I'd be able to represent someone that I believed to be guilty to the best of my abilities. However, I have tremendous respect for those principled attorneys that are able to do so. They are what allows our justice system to function as well as it usually does.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.

In other words the concept of (ends justifies the means) as long as you win and get paid are hard coded into the profession, yet he wants to point fingers and preach about the moral pitfalls of (just following orders).

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:58:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:58:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
ya..I didn't consider it would appear as a troll thread. Just trying to generate good conversation on the "hate for cops" that seems to be very prevalent here. Having said that..if people can debate the article or express their opinions without breaking the site rules..then there is nothing to worry about is there.
View Quote

Are you new here?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:59:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

absolutely not.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The problem with the "militarization" of the police is that, more and more, they're coming to look at average Americans as "the enemy".

It's not only about equipment, though. It's a culture and mindset, too - and as standards are lowered to keep the rosters full, so too will the quality of LEO's deteriorate. Over-the-top violent cops will continue to stomp on the constitution and the good ones left will either become corrupted themselves, or become so disgusted, they'll leave LE altogether.

Either way, it's not a rosy scenario and I don't see it getting better anytime soon.

Oh. And I don't "hate cops". I am quite aware of what's happening, though. All you need are eyes, ears and a fucking brain.

only paranoid people think that.

absolutely not.....

I used to sell software into law enforcement intel and spent quite a bit of time with seasoned cops as a result.  One guy told me flat out one day that cops after a time either see everyone as a victim of circumstance or as a criminal just waiting to commit or be caught.. there are just the two camps and eventually everyone falls into them.  Extrapolating from what he said it sure seemed like for that 2nd group there's your brothers in blue and there's "them" and its pretty much it.
Page / 37
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top