BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 37
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:15:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So, you are a lawyer, yet you believe it is the responsibility of police officers to determine what is Constitutional and what is not?

Can we just do away with Judges and the court system?  We could sure save a ton of money.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So let me know the first time a cop calls the local TV station and says "Look, I've done this for fifteen years, and really wanted to keep helping my community, but since the passage of the SAFE Act it is clear that I will be required to violate people's constitutional rights so I'm done, ......

So, you are a lawyer, yet you believe it is the responsibility of police officers to determine what is Constitutional and what is not?

Can we just do away with Judges and the court system?  We could sure save a ton of money.

O_P, not all of this is directed at you, but it provides a good segue into the rest of my post:

I'm as pro-cop as it gets, but yes, cops are responsible for determining what is and is not constitutional. When they take an oath to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States and enforce the laws, that oath is to uphold and defend the Constitution as they understand it. A police officer really can't be expected to do anything else.

The problem is that like most citizens, police officers' understanding of the Constitution is often limited solely to what the courts say is "okay." If the state or federal courts [erroneously] say that various gun control legislation is good-to-go, the average cop like the average citizen assumes that is correct. Same goes for things like checkpoints, civil asset forfeiture, drug laws, vehicle inventory searches, etc. For better or worse, this online community is much more attuned to the Constitution and its proper meaning than the rest of the public; police, citizen, or otherwise.

All of the bitching here about cops enforcing unconstitutional laws really ought to be directed toward the citizenry in general. Remember folks, cops are made up of a cross-section of the society at large. They get the same crappy constitutional education that everyone else gets. You want to fix the problem of cops enforcing unconstitutional laws? Fix our country's education system! Fix our courts! Fix our elected officials! To expect that the average officer with the same crappy constitutional education from the public school system tocome up with a proper understanding of the Constitution all on their own is a wee bit ridiculous. Should it be this way? No, but that's how it is. The average cop has only his own understanding of case law as related to him by his training and education to guide him.

The average cop, like the average citizen, is not as invested in constitutional law and theory as the average Arfcommer. For better or worse, the majority of America is not like us here on this site. A substantial segment of American citizens can't even be persuaded to vote, much less to care about their constitutional rights! I don't like this fact, but I recognize that it is the reality. Fortunately, there are many cops out there that do have a decent respect and understanding of the Constitution. There are entire law enforcement agencies that go out of their way to ensure that their officers are well educated in regards to the Constitution. But that is a reflection of that agency's community. The agencies in Wyoming are probably going to have a healthier respect for the Constitution than the agencies in California and New York because the citizenry that they serve have a healthier respect for the Constitution.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:16:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I am just so fucking sick of this attitude from cops. It's all about the accountability not the equipment.
How do I know police have a generally poor accountability. They get accused of being militarized, heavy handed, corrupt whatever and instead of looking at the situation and thinking how they have a responsibility, an oath to be better, they say things like " you get elected, you become a cop, you make the changes you want to see"
Well that's bullshit

I'm so sorry that so much is expected of you.

Shamefull
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:16:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:16:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Holy troll thread Batman

Who whines like Internet cops? Jesus Christ, there are threads here constantly bitching about lawyers, union carpenters, auto mechanics, car salesmen. But you know who -sniffle-sniffle- whines and leaves the Internet like a 13 year old who got cut from the junior high cheer team? You know who.

So let me know the first time a cop calls the local TV station and says "Look, I've done this for fifteen years, and really wanted to keep helping my community, but since the passage of the SAFE Act it is clear that I will be required to violate people's constitutional rights so I'm done, and I call on my fellow officers to do what's right. Sure I'm losing free dental and there are not a lot of other jobs for me to go into, but I'm not going to rationalize doing the wrong thing by saying it's okay because the legislature passed this law and I'm just following orders. I'm looking for work, please call if you have any openings."

View Quote

Damn penguin..that was well said......
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:16:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:16:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

only paranoid people think that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The problem with the "militarization" of the police is that, more and more, they're coming to look at average Americans as "the enemy".

It's not only about equipment, though. It's a culture and mindset, too - and as standards are lowered to keep the rosters full, so too will the quality of LEO's deteriorate. Over-the-top violent cops will continue to stomp on the constitution and the good ones left will either become corrupted themselves, or become so disgusted, they'll leave LE altogether.

Either way, it's not a rosy scenario and I don't see it getting better anytime soon.

Oh. And I don't "hate cops". I am quite aware of what's happening, though. All you need are eyes, ears and a fucking brain.

only paranoid people think that.

absolutely not.....
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:16:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Why don't you try not being insulting?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Site staff throws out a troll thread and the threatens people. Pft.  

Precisely.  

Hold on I will get you your hurt feelings report for you to fill out and give to staff.

It's easy to make statements like you are when nobody can say anything insulting back to you without fear of getting banned.  

Why don't you try not being a troll?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:17:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The average cop, like the average citizen, is not as invested in constitutional law and theory as the average Arfcommer. For better or worse, the majority of America is not like us here on this site. A substantial segment of American citizens can't even be persuaded to vote, much less to care about their constitutional rights! I don't like this fact, but I recognize that it is the reality. Fortunately, there are many cops out there that do have a decent respect and understanding of the Constitution. There are entire law enforcement agencies that go out of their way to ensure that their officers are well educated in regards to the Constitution. But that is a reflection of that agency's community. The agencies in Wyoming are probably going to have a healthier respect for the Constitution than the agencies in California and New York because the citizenry that they serve have a healthier respect for the Constitution.
View Quote

Sad but true.

Agree 100%.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:17:49 PM EDT
[#9]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I personally don't tell people what they need or don't need, or how to do a job I’ve never personally done. It's striking how many people lack the same reservation.

And by that logic, anyone who has never been President has no right to criticize the job the President is doing. So we should all just shut the hell up and accept whatever Obama says is best for us.

Policy and procedure are not the same thing.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/photos/dodge_challenger_rt_hemi.jpg

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:18:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:18:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It generally seems that bashing starts over Use of Force threads. While I've only been here a short time, it seems to me that Blue team tries to explain how the actions are lawful which some folks perceive as biased. I have no problem at all saying a cop is wrong, but Use of Force issues are a sticky matter. Without being in that position and possessing only a limited picture of whats taken place, its no wonder the fighting starts. The Reasonable Officer standard exists for a damn fine reason.

It really doesn't seem absurd to withhold judgment on many cases due to limited or even flat out wrong information in circulation. More often than not, it has zero to do with the "thin blue line" or a code of silence" but wanting a full picture of what actually took place, and what information was available to all involved parties as the incident unfolded. If that makes ME an apologist, so be it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Holy troll thread Batman

Who whines like Internet cops? Jesus Christ, there are threads here constantly bitching about lawyers, union carpenters, auto mechanics, car salesmen. But you know who -sniffle-sniffle- whines and leaves the Internet like a 13 year old who got cut from the junior high cheer team? You know who.

So let me know the first time a cop calls the local TV station and says "Look, I've done this for fifteen years, and really wanted to keep helping my community, but since the passage of the SAFE Act it is clear that I will be required to violate people's constitutional rights so I'm done, and I call on my fellow officers to do what's right. Sure I'm losing free dental and there are not a lot of other jobs for me to go into, but I'm not going to rationalize doing the wrong thing by saying it's okay because the legislature passed this law and I'm just following orders. I'm looking for work, please call if you have any openings."

No one I can assure you.

I also can assure you that the vast majority of ARFCOMMERS are honest law abiding citizens who pay their bills, have families and love America. Most are model citizens.

We are a proLEO website and every ruling and official action in regards to LEOs is made with that position as the guiding mindset.

The saddest thing is that for the vast majority of the aforementioned ARFCOMMERs that are honest and law-abiding good decent citizens are WAY more likely to have a negative interaction with a cop here on ARF than in real life and the site continues to support that.

Yep. When I tried to make that point in the past it seemed like it fell on deaf ears. /shrug

It generally seems that bashing starts over Use of Force threads. While I've only been here a short time, it seems to me that Blue team tries to explain how the actions are lawful which some folks perceive as biased. I have no problem at all saying a cop is wrong, but Use of Force issues are a sticky matter. Without being in that position and possessing only a limited picture of whats taken place, its no wonder the fighting starts. The Reasonable Officer standard exists for a damn fine reason.

It really doesn't seem absurd to withhold judgment on many cases due to limited or even flat out wrong information in circulation. More often than not, it has zero to do with the "thin blue line" or a code of silence" but wanting a full picture of what actually took place, and what information was available to all involved parties as the incident unfolded. If that makes ME an apologist, so be it.

No I get that, and that's not at all what I'm talking about. This thread seems to be moving way to fast to have a good dialog on it. Maybe when it slows down or I get more nicotine and caffeine ill expound on what I ( and I think krpind) were referring to.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Precisely.  

Hold on I will get you your hurt feelings report for you to fill out and give to staff.

It's easy to make statements like you are when nobody can say anything insulting back to you without fear of getting banned.  

You should heed your own advice.

Quoted:
You can order me to hammer someone to a cross, but I won't pick up the hammer. We're all responsible in the end for our own actions.  

If a man decides to take up arms against an American for having an AR15, or for sitting in the front of a bus when a black man is supposed to sit in the back, thirty pieces of silver is no excuse.

Now that is a kick in the ass.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:18:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

That's kinda getting into a gray area... almost a semantic argument.   "Unconstitutional" vs. "Illegal"....

Like others have mentioned... cops enforcing Jim Crow laws were perfectly legal per the laws or their jurisdictions at the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They can't decide which laws are Constitutional or not.  They have no authority to do that.

That's kinda getting into a gray area... almost a semantic argument.   "Unconstitutional" vs. "Illegal"....

Like others have mentioned... cops enforcing Jim Crow laws were perfectly legal per the laws or their jurisdictions at the time.

No, it's a legalistic dodge of the ethical argument.

It evades the responsibility for enforcing unConsitutional laws by taking the populist view that just because it's the law, it's right.

Most people are best only for doing what they're told.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:19:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Holy troll thread Batman

No one I can assure you.

I also can assure you that the vast majority of ARFCOMMERS are honest law abiding citizens who pay their bills, have families and love America. Most are model citizens.

We are a proLEO website and every ruling and official action in regards to LEOs is made with that position as the guiding mindset.

The saddest thing is that for the vast majority of the aforementioned ARFCOMMERs that are honest and law-abiding good decent citizens are WAY more likely to have a negative interaction with a cop here on ARF than in real life and the site continues to support that.

You draw the line at writing hurt feelings reports for mods.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:19:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

agree, also love that LE is the only profession you can't attack....AMERIKA

oh and I come from a family of cops!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently you haven't spent much time on the internet.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:21:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Holy troll thread Batman

No one I can assure you.

Perhaps he needs one of his own.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:21:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:22:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:22:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Stick and stones mate...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stick and stones mate...

are you trying to have the "talk" in this thread? Seems a little off topic.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:23:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:23:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That's the silliest thing I've ever seen you post.

You are posting with emotion, not logic.

The Court system decides what is Constitutional or not, not policemen.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Enforcing the law is, in fact and action, interpretation of the Constitution.

Read Aimless's post again.  It might be the most profound thing he's said in the last 13 years.   Especially considering the context.

Yes, the guy who nailed Jesus to the cross was probably a "Godly" man.  Just doing his Job.  He probably meant no ill will.     He probably washed his hands of the whole thing.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

It evades the responsibility for enforcing unConsitutional laws by taking the populist view that just because it's the law, it's right.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They can't decide which laws are Constitutional or not.  They have no authority to do that.

As I see it, there are two camps here. Both agree that LE works under authority and can't just decide for themselves what to enforce. One group says that that authority is what their direct superiors say is The Law. The other group says that LE should exercise their own conscience and hold the Constitution as the standard and make judgements accordingly.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:23:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The police are the rubber that meets the road when it comes to enforcing tyrannical edicts.  They enforce it without question.  Men who would blindly enforce atrocities such as New York State's SAFE act have absolutely ZERO business being in any position of authority.

If you enforce the encroachment of our civil liberties, there really isn't much to figure out about why people are going to hate you.
View Quote

agree with this as well but it's all abour protecting the benefits and union monies
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:24:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

only paranoid educated people think that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The problem with the "militarization" of the police is that, more and more, they're coming to look at average Americans as "the enemy".

It's not only about equipment, though. It's a culture and mindset, too - and as standards are lowered to keep the rosters full, so too will the quality of LEO's deteriorate. Over-the-top violent cops will continue to stomp on the constitution and the good ones left will either become corrupted themselves, or become so disgusted, they'll leave LE altogether.

Either way, it's not a rosy scenario and I don't see it getting better anytime soon.

Oh. And I don't "hate cops". I am quite aware of what's happening, though. All you need are eyes, ears and a fucking brain.

only paranoid educated people think that.

FIFY
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:24:20 PM EDT
[#25]
You can order me to hammer someone to a cross, but I won't pick up the hammer. We're all responsible in the end for our own actions.  

If a man decides to take up arms against an American for having an AR15, or for sitting in the front of a bus when a black man is supposed to sit in the back, thirty pieces of silver is no excuse.

View Quote

Yet lawyers do theirs for sixty pieces of silver and call it legal.  

You are so full of shit, just like most lawyers.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:25:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
We have a judicial system based on an adversarial trial system. If someone is obviously guilty what am I going to be able to do about it? I could make a lot more money if you tell me the secret of getting obviously guilty people off the hook.  

Not to mention I turn cases down all the time ;)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So let me know the first time a cop calls the local TV station and says "Look, I've done this for fifteen years, and really wanted to keep helping my community, but since the passage of the SAFE Act it is clear that I will be required to violate people's constitutional rights so I'm done, ......

How does that righteousness mesh with the concept of working your ass off for thirty pieces of silver to make sure someone who is obviously guilty, and if your work is successful will without a doubt go on to harm others?
We have a judicial system based on an adversarial trial system. If someone is obviously guilty what am I going to be able to do about it? I could make a lot more money if you tell me the secret of getting obviously guilty people off the hook.  

Not to mention I turn cases down all the time ;)

You could start by following your own advice and getting a job at Home Depot or something. As far as I'm aware there is no lawyer draft in progress.

Or you could continue to hide behind the (We have a judicial system) part of the statement which ironically is exactly the same defense used while jabbing others.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:26:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

lol this thread is getting so good.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I don't recall the last toddler flash-banged by a squad of attorneys.....
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:27:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:27:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No they don't, and you know it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

...are you sure you want cops being the judges of what is Constitutional and what is not?

They already do it.

Badly.

No they don't, and you know it.
The Court system decides what is Constitutional or not, and finally the Supreme Court.  Cops cannot do that.
Um..no the Constitution decides what is constitutional......... Judges interpret it...but evey citizen that can read it should be able to understand what it means..meaning it means exactly what it says..so yes a leo should be able to understand if the law he is enforcing is legal or not....(such as check points...even the supreme court said they are unconstitutional)
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:27:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:28:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yes that is exactly what he is saying. You nailed it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course they should.  But they are sworn to enforce the laws of the land, as passed by the Legislatures and ruled Constitutional by the Court system.  They can't decide which laws are Constitutional or not.  They have no authority to do that.

So in your view, the Nuremberg defense is perfectly valid?

Yes that is exactly what he is saying. You nailed it.

yup
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:28:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Enforcing the law is, in fact and action, interpretation of the Constitution.

No, the Court system does not decide what is constitutional or not. It interprets the Constitution. However, the Executive and the Legislative are also responsible for interpreting the Constitution according to their own understanding. For example: the Legislative is responsible for interpreting the Constitution in order that it does not pass unconstitutional laws. The Executive is responsible for interpreting the Constitution in order to avoid enforcing unconstitutional laws (first through the use of the veto power, and second, through the use of prosecutorial discretion). The problem is that once the Supreme Court asserted that the final interpretation of the Constitution was left to the Court alone, the other two branches abdicated their own responsibilities and forfeited them to the courts. If the Court says that a law passed by Congress is constitutional but the President disagrees, the President violates his oath of office if he defers to the Court's interpretation. Laws are supposed to undergo at least three layers of constitutional interpretation, not only one.

This responsibility to interpret the Constitution belongs to every government officer, including police officers. But I'll reiterate what I said in my earlier post: cops in general are taught exactly what the average citizen is taught. They're taught that the courts interpret the Constitution and whatever the Court says is okay, goes. As an example, I'll refer you to your own post.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:28:40 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

As I see it, there are two camps here. Both agree that LE works under authority and can't just decide for themselves what to enforce. One group says that that authority is what their direct superiors say is The Law. The other group says that LE should exercise their own conscience and hold the Constitution as the standard and make judgements accordingly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's indeed a bit of a conundrum.

But it's fun watching cops jump back and forth over the fence regarding it. Because ultimately, it's about them, and the authority they assert.

They need to decide if they're "just following orders" or are actually interested in doing the right thing.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:28:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:29:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:29:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

really, throw any thread on any board attacking the profession and see how long it lasts.....I"m waiting....
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:29:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Well sense people are personally attacking site staff now I will go ahead and say IBTL.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:30:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Which talk re you referring too?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stick and stones mate...

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:30:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If I had voted liberal then yes..I would be partially responsible for the crap gun laws up here. But I voted conservative..and they got rid of the long gun registry, have tightened up laws that benefited the criminals, enacted laws to give more rights to victims and are in the process of eliminating redundant permits and unnecessary crap from our current gun laws.
See how that works..elect officials that will write or change laws that will benefit the populace..

View Quote

If you do not vote for the party who enacts laws, do you feel obligated to follow those laws?

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#43]
This is turning out to be the most interesting thread in a long time.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:31:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:31:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-jfSWmlC6iA8/TpCR5-pdqSI/AAAAAAAAJYs/wsFr96jsY0E/s320/Jaws_079Pyxurz.jpg

Click-click-click........................

Click...click...
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:31:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

really, throw any thread on any board attacking the profession and see how long it lasts.....I"m waiting....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you want a page average? That will take some time to gather the stats but on here they usually go into the thirties at least before people get bored then it's duped 5 more times over the rest of the month. Wait a couple years and someone with their new fangled internet machine will post it again, rinse repeat...
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#48]

We could sell tickets to this thread.

It's the fight of century (or at least this Saturday afternoon...)

Striker "HAMMER von Hammer" vs. Aimless "THE ALMIGHTY"

Site Staff vs. Site Staff

Mod vs. Mod

member vs. member

LEO vs. non-LEO

Cats and dogs WILL live together IN

...this no holds barred, caged dead horse death match!  No one get's out without a warning, timeout, or ban!!!!!!!!!!!!

BE THERE....BE THERE....BE THERE....be there...be there

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:32:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:33:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

We have a bird in this thread all we need is a bee and we can get this party talk started.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stick and stones mate...

We have a bird in this thread all we need is a bee and we can get this party talk started.

Page / 37
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top