Quoted:

Themselves and their god science, which is odd since God created them both  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Try getting over it with prayer alone...!
Good luck with that

Quoted:

More proof Atheism is a religion in itself.
Until you get to the point where you try and identify what they are worshiping .....

Themselves and their god science, which is odd since God created them both  
That's what you define as worship ?

I'm agnostic now but grew up with many church going Baptists and Presbyterians , so I've done and seen a bit of worshiping .

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:41:22 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Anybody who has ever seen anyone battle a deadly disease (which includes a lot of people, considering how prevalent a killer cancer is) knows how vital it is to the patient's survival that they have a strong will to live.

Now, I don't care if your strong motivation is because you desperately love your family, or if you believe in God, or if you just really don't want to miss the next season of Dancing with the Stars.

Your will to fight is fucking huge, and I'm not going to play armchair philosopher over the intellectual value of what you hold dear.

But, this is the internet, so some enlightened fuckwits will happily stroke each other off while pretending that prayer doesn't work for those who believe.
View Quote

I'm going with this.

It's sciency.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:42:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:42:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You do hear from them, they're the militant atheist/anti-theists.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it's stupid for anyone to hate on her for it.

I've always wondered though, why do people always praise God when they get over an illness / injury / someone they care about survives; but we never hear of anyone cursing him when he doesn't come through? Is it that "God works in mysterious ways" thing?

I'm sure a lot of those Africans that died from it also prayed very hard to God. Why weren't they saved?

Now that seems like an appropriate label

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:43:05 AM EDT
[#5]
God never made any promise to shield anyone including those who believe in Him from the consequences of a fallen world brought about by sin.  He did promise to those who are His that they will never be alone while they deal with, suffer with, and travel through a world impacted by sin.  God heals when He chooses to for His greater purposes most of which are only known to Him.  He leaves it to us who have been plunged into the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ to trust Him which isn't hard to do when you see what He did for us in healing us of the greatest disease there is:  the permanent consequences of sin which is spiritual death.

Sometimes He heals in a miraculous way.  I know several folks over the years who were delivered from cancer right before they went under the knife and the doctors themselves had absolutely no explanation for it.  I have also see fellow believers die painful excruciating physical deaths.  

"Yea though I walk THROUGH the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.  (WHY?) For you, my great shepherd are WITH me."  He didn't say "if" I walk through.  He said "when". I walk through.

God was with her as she walked through the shadow of death.  He chose to allow her to live awhile longer.  He didn't have to.  But He did.  And He used medicine to play a part in that for sure.  One of His own disciples was a doctor.  

None of you who identify as atheists have enough information to say that God was not involved.  You only can accurately say, "I don't see His involvement."  But you can't say with complete knowledge, "There was NO involvement from God in this."

You can say it if you want but it is an arrogant statement to make.  God is not inclined to do a magic show for you to prove He exists.  He already gave the proof of His word and purpose when Jesus rose from the dead.

You really aren't rejecting God.  You are rejecting the resurrection of Jesus Christ.  Because if a dead man rose from the dead after being crucified, to believe in God and everything else He has said and promised is really not hard at all.

Atheists don't reject God.  They reject the resurrection of Jesus.  

Patrick
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Nina Pham needs to thank science not prayer. She's spitting in the face of the medical community that worked hard to save her life. #Ebola
View Quote

Twitter is the new DU

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:44:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Didn't pray, or was too far gone to pray.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess Thomas Duncan was praying wrong... or god is racist. What does the hive say?

His family said he prayed with them.  I guess you will say now that he didn't say the right words to convince God to cure him?

Duncan
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:44:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Atheists are fucking retards....
View All Quotes

Not all of us.

When my Christian friends pray for me I know they do it to express love. For that I am grateful.

I give love back to them, just differently. I'll even offer them a ride to church if they need it.  

The "my belief only or you're evil" kind of Christians are just as retarded.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:44:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Calling atheism a religion is an attempt to level the playing field, a feeble one - but an attempt none-the-less.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I understand why people cant stand the blowhards , on either side of the argument , but to call it a religion makes no sense . I dont see it being labeled a religion in my day to day goings-on , anywhere but here . Is it ? (honest question )

Calling atheism a religion is an attempt to level the playing field, a feeble one - but an attempt none-the-less.
they have websites, leaders, a political agenda, news letters, organization and they have a goal of removing other religions in America much like Islam

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:45:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

they have websites, leaders, a political agenda, news letters, organization and they have a goal of removing other religions in America much like Islam  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I understand why people cant stand the blowhards , on either side of the argument , but to call it a religion makes no sense . I dont see it being labeled a religion in my day to day goings-on , anywhere but here . Is it ? (honest question )

They don't seem to go after Islam very often.  Wonder why.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:46:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Father forgive them for they know not what they do...............one of the hardest things Jesus asked us to do was to pray for our enemies.

Personally, I don't understand why these people even care if she thought prayer helped her. I guess I'll have to pray for them too.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:46:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Even if God does not exist, the psychosomatic effects of prayer may be real. That is, belief in itself may have a curative effect, without regard to the objective truth (or not) behind such belief. Atheists are fools to deny the possibility of such things.

In other words, it never hurts to pray, as long as that's not a substitute for modern medicine.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:47:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Watch the Frontline story on Ebola in Sierra Leone. Those folks were praying their asses off.
View Quote

Does not matter. In Christianity, God is not a 'wish machine'. So the atheist's attack on prayer rings hollow.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:49:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

God never made any promise to shield anyone including those who believe in Him from the consequences of a fallen world brought about by sin.  He did promise to those who are His that they will never be alone while they deal with, suffer with, and travel through a world impacted by sin.  God heals when He chooses to for His greater purposes most of which are only known to Him.  He leaves it to us who have been plunged into the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ to trust Him which isn't hard to do when you see what He did for us in healing us of the greatest disease there is:  the permanent consequences of sin which is spiritual death.

Sometimes He heals in a miraculous way.  I know several folks over the years who were delivered from cancer right before they went under the knife and the doctors themselves had absolutely no explanation for it.  I have also see fellow believers die painful excruciating physical deaths.  

"Yea though I walk THROUGH the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.  (WHY?) For you, my great shepherd are WITH me."  He didn't say "if" I walk through.  He said "when". I walk through.

God was with her as she walked through the shadow of death.  He chose to allow her to live awhile longer.  He didn't have to.  But He did.  And He used medicine to play a part in that for sure.  One of His own disciples was a doctor.  

None of you who identify as atheists have enough information to say that God was not involved.  You only can accurately say, "I don't see His involvement."  But you can't say with complete knowledge, "There was NO involvement from God in this."

You can say it if you want but it is an arrogant statement to make.  God is not inclined to do a magic show for you to prove He exists.  He already gave the proof of His word and purpose when Jesus rose from the dead.

You really aren't rejecting God.  You are rejecting the resurrection of Jesus Christ.  Because if a dead man rose from the dead after being crucified, to believe in God and everything else He has said and promised is really not hard at all.

Patrick
View Quote

Last I heard , that was the very foundation of this so-called 'religion' . . . . their rejection of all of religion's God's

..I thought that was the Jews ?

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:49:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've always wondered though, why do people always praise God when they get over an illness / injury / someone they care about survives; but we never hear of anyone cursing him when he doesn't come through? Is it that "God works in mysterious ways" thing?

I'm sure a lot of those Africans that died from it also prayed very hard to God. Why weren't they saved?

It's what they are...I know a couple atheists, I was one once.  Most are good people who are respectful to everyone.  It's the LOUD minority that gives them a bad name.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:50:08 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm having a good laugh at this thread.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:50:36 AM EDT
[#17]

Whatever.  You shouldn't take social media so seriously.  I'm an atheist and I don't give a fuck what she said, it's fine by me.  I know what healed her and it wasn't prayer.  However, I'm glad she pulled through and don't care what she says.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:51:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes

These certainly are...
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:54:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:55:09 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So does the NRA and the Brady Campaign

I'm just content with the separation of Church and State . . . . with respect to religions overall

..but dont get me going on islam

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:57:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Tough sh*t for them then.  She believed and it worked for her.  That's all that counts.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:57:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Stand back ... I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Look prayer is just wonderful but when I've been shot I want to be taken to a trauma hospital not church.
View Quote

Who is arguing that?  I've seen not one person say to stay away from hospitals, just go to church.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:58:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

works for some. maybe not ebola, but other diseases. your response to them ?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:59:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Look prayer is just wonderful but when I've been shot I want to be taken to a trauma hospital not church.
View Quote

You wouldn't rather have a nice bloodletting instead?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:00:28 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
It's what they are...I know a couple atheists, I was one once.  Most are good people who are respectful to everyone.  It's the LOUD minority that gives them a bad name.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactamundo .
...and I'm going to start using the phrase 'militant atheists' more often

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:03:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:...and I'm going to start using the phrase 'militant atheists' more often
View Quote

We prefer the title "atheist operator".
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:05:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scientific study on the "power" of prayer
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:06:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

His family said he prayed with them.  I guess you will say now that he didn't say the right words to convince God to cure him?

Duncan
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess Thomas Duncan was praying wrong... or god is racist. What does the hive say?

Duncan

Him coming here and dying was the plan,  not getting cured.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:08:23 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:...and I'm going to start using the phrase 'militant atheists' more often

Yeah , now that you mention it . . . . militant anything sounds so.......eighties

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:08:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Patrick
View Quote

I knew Jews were atheists.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:09:47 AM EDT
[#32]
I predict a thread lock before page 3 4...
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:10:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Duncan

God planned on him coming here to die?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:10:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Meh. some people are perpetually butthurt about something.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:10:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I know plenty of atheists, none bat an eye about things like this.
View Quote

The atheists who capitalize Atheist and form groups and Atheist organizations and webgroups are the ones that "bat an eye."  

That's the entire point of being an annoying reactionary.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:12:12 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been using the term anti-theist for a while for the outspoken/vocal/hateful crowd.

Most atheists I have worked with or known, I have had zero issue with.  I respect their beliefs and they respect mine.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:12:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The atheists who capitalize Atheist and form groups and Atheist organizations and webgroups are the ones that "bat an eye."  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know plenty of atheists, none bat an eye about things like this.

Like the Republicans who mix religion and politics.  One is annoying, the other is hurting us.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:12:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Sweet attacks on members.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:14:33 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Someday in the future we will be able to prove , scientifically , why whatever happened , happened .

We are no wheres NEAR the end of our scientific research and development of damn near ANYTHING . . . . .  let alone the human body . We have discovered countless explanations for crazy events over the years that were formerly dismissed as miracles , and I dont see any reason that that will cease any time soon

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:15:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm let's look at one of the definitions of Religion. . .

"a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance"

If that doesn't describe a lot of the neck beards or militant atheists I don't know what does.  

You probably should follow the saying "better to remain silent and be thought a fool" now, well might not be able to put that genie back in the bottle for you.

Believe what you want, I don't care, however, realize that arguing about "Faith" and the existence of a supreme being or not, is about as intelligent as arguing with your eggos while they are in the toaster.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:15:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Its one or the other.

You can either choose science or God.

YOU MUST DENY THE OTHER ONE.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who is arguing that?  I've seen not one person say to stay away from hospitals, just go to church.

Its one or the other.

That's where I was going with that...science or God peasant!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:17:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes

I'm an atheist.  Are you saying that about me?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:21:48 AM EDT
[#44]
I guess prayer only works for Americans.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:25:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Seethers gotta seethe.  People who get outraged by other people seething gotta get outraged.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:26:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Seethers gotta seethe.  People who get outraged by other people seething gotta get outraged.

View Quote

I think the only angry people are the militant atheists...they seem perpetually angry though, so no surprise.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:29:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Evangelical Atheists are assholes. When they're out there proselytizing (and acting just like Westboro nuts), it's fair to call it a religion.   Worshipping nothing is still worshipping.   (Atheism<>Evangelical Atheism.)
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:29:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
just like the Taliban in Afghanistan that destroy any symbol of Religion the public arena they are doing the same here. Atheism is one of the most stupidest religions in the world "there is no god, therefore we must remove all symbols something that does not exist because it offends me and my religion"

Dear God that is stupid

I spend zero time thinking about the boogey man and if you had a painting or picture of what you thought was a boogey man and showed it to me I would say that is "that's nice, honey"  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They are the American version of the Taliban  

Lol
What?
just like the Taliban in Afghanistan that destroy any symbol of Religion the public arena they are doing the same here. Atheism is one of the most stupidest religions in the world "there is no god, therefore we must remove all symbols something that does not exist because it offends me and my religion"

Dear God that is stupid

I spend zero time thinking about the boogey man and if you had a painting or picture of what you thought was a boogey man and showed it to me I would say that is "that's nice, honey"  

That's one hell of a broad brush you're paniting with.
I see a very thin comparison, if any.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:30:56 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its one or the other.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:31:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top