User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:13:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:14:31 AM EDT
[#2]
The elevators are full of wheat, roughly half the wheat crop is exported, bringing money into the US.  Trains not moving the wheat is not good for anyone in the US.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We're spending $755,000,000,000.00 a year on food stamps?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Here are two pie charts which represent how your tax money is spent in the Farm Bill.

We're spending $755,000,000,000.00 a year on food stamps?

But the military and reckless American adventurism is what's draining our coffers, right?

At least that's what certain groups here tell you.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:28:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I was wondering why I saw fields of corn and soybean last weekend still standing.
View Quote

Soybeans might be a little late, but corn typically is just starting to be harvested now in a normal year - at least what I'm used to seeing.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:29:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Soybeans might be a little late, but corn typically is just starting to be harvested now in a normal year - at least what I'm used to seeing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was wondering why I saw fields of corn and soybean last weekend still standing.

My family in IL started two weeks ago.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:31:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ive harvested corn in December when its been snowing like mad, Ive harvested corn in September when it was 80* and I had shorts on.

It depends.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
http://fresnostate.edu/jcast/cati/images/updateimages/2014-summer/Farm%20bill%20spending%20levels.jpg

Here are two pie charts which represent how your tax money is spent in the Farm Bill.

The chart on the left is indicative of the Farm Bill which expired in 2012 but carried on until the new 2014 Farm Bill was passed earlier this year.  It is represented in the chart on the right.

I'd like to draw your attention to two items. The "Nutrition" component is what is commonly known as Food Stamps.  The part most Arfcomers seem to begrudge Farmers on is called Commodities.  It is important to note that beginning this year, no grain farmers receive any direct payments from the Farm Service Agency, and the programs that encouraged under production of grains ended in the 1980's.
View Quote

OH SNAP
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:39:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
http://fresnostate.edu/jcast/cati/images/updateimages/2014-summer/Farm%20bill%20spending%20levels.jpg

Here are two pie charts which represent how your tax money is spent in the Farm Bill.

The chart on the left is indicative of the Farm Bill which expired in 2012 but carried on until the new 2014 Farm Bill was passed earlier this year.  It is represented in the chart on the right.

I'd like to draw your attention to two items. The "Nutrition" component is what is commonly known as Food Stamps.  The part most Arfcomers seem to begrudge Farmers on is called Commodities.  It is important to note that beginning this year, no grain farmers receive any direct payments from the Farm Service Agency, and the programs that encouraged under production of grains ended in the 1980's.
View Quote

Yeah because the nutrition program isn't a direct stimulus of the entire food industry...nice try though.  Also, it's not a justification to say "we steal less than the other guys."
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:46:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

But doesn't my tax money still go to them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Originally Posted By AnticitizenFreeMarketOne:

I fucking hate sandbagging to fix races, games, and prices.          

Their grain, their rules.........

Comrade

But doesn't my tax money still go to them.
Damn right it does. The posters above can call me what they want, but many are in fact taking tax money and still sandbagging the prices which pisses me off. Sounds like having their cake and eating it too on the taxpayer's dime.

How that makes me a comrade I fail to understand.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:48:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

You should sell me all your ARs now for $350 since the market is down and I want one.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You should sell me all your ARs now for $350 since the market is down and I want one.    

Don't want to be a fucking sandbagger do you?
Invalid argument. That's below cost and I receive no subsidies to sell you rifles cheaper than that.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:49:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yeah because the nutrition program isn't a direct stimulus of the entire food industry...nice try though.  Also, it's not a justification to say "we steal less than the other guys."
View Quote

I for one would like to see them go back to commodities instead of candy bars, soda, and potato chips.  For able body adults famine relief mush would work.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:51:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Then Why do two bags of groceries cost $50.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:54:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I for one would like to see them go back to commodities instead of candy bars, soda, and potato chips.  For able body adults famine relief mush would work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What no cheese
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:58:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Ok

They can only stockpile so much
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:59:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, it does matter where the tax dollars are spent in terms of percentage if we were serious about trying to control spending.  However, neither party wants to balance the budget and start work on paying down the federal debt.  

I'm not going to point fingers, though.  As a doc, the health care industry is sucking down more than its fair share of tax dollars, and it's only going to get worse.  It's too bad we're powerless to stop it until draconian austerity measures kick in.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:10:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I guess it depends on what your groceries are.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:14:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd be happier if they shopped at a different store than I do.

Just drop a fucking conex in the parking lot of the HHS building and everyone lines up on the 1st and 15th to get their "relief."

That would also easily demonstrate both the scale and the widespread fraud and abuse in it. It's easy to pretend you're a normal person at the grocery store with your designer purse and Cadillac SUV, because your EBT card looks a lot like my debit card.
But if you're lined up with thousands of other folks, well, it changes the game.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:15:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Invalid argument. That's below cost and I receive no subsidies to sell you rifles cheaper than that.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You receive plenty of subsidies if your far fetched stories about owning a vehicle repair shop are actually true, although most of what you say seems like pure fabrication judging by your lack of knowledge on every topic you dicuss.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:24:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Time to cut all ethanol support, get that nasty shit out of the gasoline.
View Quote

Or they'll push for 15% or 20% to knock prices back up
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:35:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Time to cut all ethanol support, get that nasty shit out of the gasoline.

The govt and ethanol pushers need to be sued under class action status for the deliberately damage and repair expenses of engine fueling systems. Put me on the jury and you wouldn't have a soul stupid enough to push ethanol as a fuel additive.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:39:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Thread full of stupid...  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:45:44 PM EDT
[#22]
For all of the supposed self-reliant individualists, preppers, and know-it-alls, Arf knows surprisingly little about agriculture and apparently basic economics.

On second thought, it's really not that surprising.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:50:02 PM EDT
[#23]
I wonder how the Russian wheat import ban has effected grain prices here?

Sounds like we are in a replay of Carter's Soviet grain embargo
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:53:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Silver miners are starting to do the same thing. They're sick of the market manipulation of physical objects by paper trades.

Same thing is happening in Argentina where folks don't want pesos and see tangibles as greater than their fiat currency.  As soon as they sell their tangible, they rush out to exchange their pesos for another tangible.
View Quote

... excuse the minor subterfuge, but anyone not buying silver now is silly
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:54:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I wonder how the Russian wheat import ban has effected grain prices here?

Sounds like we are in a replay of Carter's Soviet grain embargo
View Quote

I don't like economic sanctions, they have way too many unintended consequences.

In a an actual declared war, it might be different.

The USA is upset with the Russian Federation, so citizens of both countries end up getting punished.

Makes absolutely no sense to me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:58:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Silver miners are starting to do the same thing. They're sick of the market manipulation of physical objects by paper trades.

Same thing is happening in Argentina where folks don't want pesos and see tangibles as greater than their fiat currency.  As soon as they sell their tangible, they rush out to exchange their pesos for another tangible.

I will have to buy SLV at some point in the future, as I am currently short.

That short position has been profitable.  Near term, I think it will continue to be profitable.  So, not covering my short position doesn't strike me as silly.

Go out far enough, maybe silver does start to rise.  I think we are months away from that point.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:00:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Ive harvested corn in December when its been snowing like mad, Ive harvested corn in September when it was 80* and I had shorts on.

It depends.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It depends.

Yep.  Harvest is late this year, at least in Northern Kansas.  The moisture content is still pretty high and we haven't had a hard freeze yet to move things along.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:02:34 PM EDT
[#28]
a few farmers around me letting their fields sit unharvested.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:05:12 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Good, now we can end farm subsidies.
View Quote
fify!

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:08:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Local elevators are still full of wheat, trains rather haul crude oil than grain.  Already piling corn on the ground, and harvest has just started.  Going to be lots of spoilage of corn.  Any farmer, with a grain, can store a years worth of crop, only way to protect yourself.  Corn in South Dakota is under $2 due to no place to store it.  You go broke selling corn for less than $4.
View Quote

What unit is corn sold by? The bushel? Ton?

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:16:31 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Local elevators are still full of wheat, trains rather haul crude oil than grain.  Already piling corn on the ground, and harvest has just started.  Going to be lots of spoilage of corn.  Any farmer, with a grain, can store a years worth of crop, only way to protect yourself.  Corn in South Dakota is under $2 due to no place to store it.  You go broke selling corn for less than $4.

Kharn

That's the price of a bushel:

56 lb

• Weight of corn (shelled and ear) to equal 56 lb (1 bu) shelled corn at 15.5 percent moisture. Table 1.4-13. Weight of corn (shelled and ear) to equal 56 lb (1 bu) shelled corn at 15.5 percent moisture. Note: Test weight of corn determines the weight of a bushel volume (1.244 cu ft) of grain

•  

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:18:15 PM EDT
    [#32]

Quoted:

View Quote

Go to Aldi bro, you won't even get a bag.
    Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:21:00 PM EDT
    [#33]
    Quoted:

Lol, and free market means prices always go up.
    View All Quotes
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    Most farmers contract a portion of their crop before it even sprouts for a specific delivery(s) past harvest which then requires storage.  This allows them to have operating capital.  If the price for your product is driven down by means beyond your control why would you not store it if it made economic sense to do so?

You must have mistaken this place for Arfcom where they support the free market.

Lol, and free market means prices always go up.

no, not really.  they fluctuate up and down depending on supply and demand.
    Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:33:07 PM EDT
    [#34]
    Quoted:
    View Quote

You're shopping in the wrong part of the store.  I bought 2 bags the other day for $36.  Ground sausage, bacon, fresh cheese, flour, yeast, peppers, onions, garlic, brussel sprouts, and a 12 pack of beer
    Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:34:38 PM EDT
    [#35]
    Quoted:

You receive plenty of subsidies if your far fetched stories about owning a vehicle repair shop are actually true, although most of what you say seems like pure fabrication judging by your lack of knowledge on every topic you dicuss.
    View All Quotes
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

Snaps
    Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:51:21 PM EDT
    [#36]
    Winter wheat fob Portland is $7.10 for February which is a good price. I would imagine that Russia not importing from us hurt all grain prices. I also would think oil prices dropping hurt grain prices.

As far as tax subsidies go I'd rather give money to farmers then electric car companies and other bullshit industries. They changed the tax laws so that you can only write off $25k of equipment a year. Kinda makes it tough to buy a tractor that costs more then your house.
    Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:53:03 PM EDT
    [#37]

Quoted:

CHICAGO (Reuters) - With record harvests depressing prices, U.S. farmers are holding tight to their corn and soybeans and binging on chemicals that protect stored grain from critters or even leaving corn standing in fields over winter to avoid storage charges.

View Quote

Still flush with cash after years of record income and with shipping rates near record highs, farmers have resources to store grain rather than sell into a down market.

View Quote

http://news.yahoo.com/mega-harvest-leaves-u-farmers-battling-bugs-storage-120406878--finance.html

Fairly accurate summation.

I don't believe anyone will be leaving crops in the field to avoid storage though.

Page / 2
    Next Page Arrow Left
    Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
    Top Top