Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/25/2014 2:17:17 AM EDT
I say yes
http://carbuying.jalopnik.com/why-you-should-get-a-receipt-every-single-time-you-get-1648937540/1649874139/+travis

Well, I've known people who saved them religiously and it benefited them and I've known some who ignored receipts and it cost them. One client of mine always got receipts for his gasoline even when he went inside and paid cash for his fuel. One day, after buying gas at a station he did not normally frequent, his car died. He had it towed to a mechanic who told him that his gas tank was filled with water. It was going to be an expensive fix.

When my client went back to the gas station, he found he was not alone. There were others there who had also gotten tanks full of water and were upset. The manager was taking down information from all of the disgruntled folk in front of him and he would ask each one, "Do you have a receipt?" Some did, some didn't. My client did.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:23:44 AM EDT
[#1]

I get a receipt for everything. Even a cup of coffee.

I use it for my accounting.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:26:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I had never considered that.

There was a Murphy's local to me that had water contamination and damaged quite a few cars recently, some of them were BMW's which were pretty pricey to repair.

I always get receipts when I fuel up vehicles for work, but that's for another reason entirely.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:33:51 AM EDT
[#3]
And, in case you are attorney-averse, you might not need to lawyer up. Depending on your state's small claims threshold, you may be able to file and handle this action yourself with a small claims court action. Give your local courthouse a call and ask. And when you go in to file the paperwork, know that the most important piece of the case is going to be the receipt.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:39:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Anyone who itemizes their tax write-offs should be collecting their receipts.

Why wouldn't you?

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:16:46 AM EDT
[#5]
One time, when I was in my early 20s, I got gas and paid at the pump with my debit card.

Then I drove off.

A few minutes later, I get stopped by the local PD.  Officer asks me "where you just at so and so gas station?"  "Yes".  Then he tells me "we got a call that you drove off without paying for your gas".  It was a small town and a long time ago, so I said "look, I paid at the pump for my gas and I didn't drive off without paying".  He said "well, let's go drive up there".

There was another officer already there and they insisted on watching the security footage.  The cashier was swearing up and down that I drove off without paying until we got to where I pulled in, swiped my card, entered the PIN, then filled up.

The cops were pretty pissed with her.  As it turned out, she confessed that she just assumed that I hadn't paid, because I didn't come in.

Ever since then, I ALWAYS hit "yes" when it asks me if I want a receipt.....just in case.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:08:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One time, when I was in my early 20s, I got gas and paid at the pump with my debit card.

Then I drove off.

A few minutes later, I get stopped by the local PD.  Officer asks me "where you just at so and so gas station?"  "Yes".  Then he tells me "we got a call that you drove off without paying for your gas".  It was a small town and a long time ago, so I said "look, I paid at the pump for my gas and I didn't drive off without paying".  He said "well, let's go drive up there".

There was another officer already there and they insisted on watching the security footage.  The cashier was swearing up and down that I drove off without paying until we got to where I pulled in, swiped my card, entered the PIN, then filled up.

The cops were pretty pissed with her.  As it turned out, she confessed that she just assumed that I hadn't paid, because I didn't come in.

Ever since then, I ALWAYS hit "yes" when it asks me if I want a receipt.....just in case.
View Quote

I had a very similar experience except I had my receipt which I showed to the officer and that ended the incident.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:10:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Unless you intend to use the info for tax purposes I would say not important. Here you can't pump without paying first.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:14:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I use my credit card so I am not real worried about it.

Quoted:

I had a very similar experience except I had my receipt which I showed to the officer and that ended the incident.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then I drove off.

Havent seen a station you could pump without paying first in years.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:15:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Unless you intend to use the info for tax purposes I would say not important. Here you can't pump without paying first.
View Quote

bad gas is the issue, not drive offs
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:20:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Then I drove off.

This would have been roughly 1994 or so.  So, 20 years ago.  Long enough fer ya?  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:23:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

And, in case you are attorney-averse, you might not need to lawyer up. Depending on your state's small claims threshold, you may be able to file and handle this action yourself with a small claims court action. Give your local courthouse a call and ask. And when you go in to file the paperwork, know that the most important piece of the case is going to be the receipt.
View Quote

Excellent advice.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:24:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Why wouldn't you?

View Quote

Let me know when you get to itemize gasoline.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:59:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Any lawyer or accountant will tell you to always get a receipt. It's your legal proof of a completed sales contract.

Always get a receipt!

Put it into a zip-lock bag or a shoebox or something.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:21:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I say yes
http://carbuying.jalopnik.com/why-you-should-get-a-receipt-every-single-time-you-get-1648937540/1649874139/+travis

Well, I've known people who saved them religiously and it benefited them and I've known some who ignored receipts and it cost them. One client of mine always got receipts for his gasoline even when he went inside and paid cash for his fuel. One day, after buying gas at a station he did not normally frequent, his car died. He had it towed to a mechanic who told him that his gas tank was filled with water. It was going to be an expensive fix.

When my client went back to the gas station, he found he was not alone. There were others there who had also gotten tanks full of water and were upset. The manager was taking down information from all of the disgruntled folk in front of him and he would ask each one, "Do you have a receipt?" Some did, some didn't. My client did.
View Quote

Pay with credit card, there is an electronic record of your charge

However, I do get a receipt, so I can prove I paid (and to make sure I didn't fuck up!). Machine won't print a receipt until sale is completed
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:45:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

However, I do get a receipt, so I can prove I paid (and to make sure I didn't fuck up!). Machine won't print a receipt until sale is completed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I say yes

good point.

Just use the credit card records.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:58:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I have one for everything.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:13:23 AM EDT
[#17]
ever notice how newer receipts fade to blank/unreadable
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:17:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Then I drove off.

I have a local station that turns on the pump on for me and at inspection time wife takes her car in and leaves with It I stop down and pay later. But I guess I am cheating since I have known the family for a years.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:20:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I get a receipt for everything. Even a cup of coffee.

I use it for my accounting.
View Quote

Yup.

ETA: And I store them in a box in my home office.  On the first of the month the previous month's receipts go into a labeled envelope.  Every New Year the previous year's envelopes get bundled into a shoebox with other keepsakes (Christmas cards, photos, crafts from my kids, etc.) from the year, and the shoebox gets added to the stack in the basement.   Also on the New Year I discard the receipts from the shoebox that's seven years old and move those keepsakes to a permanent storage bin.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:28:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I say yes

View Quote

I never get receipts for gas. But primarily use debit for gas. So there is always a record.  Also if I didn't have a receipt and something like that happened to my car all they would have to do is review the security tapes.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:28:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Yes. Had a coworker that was saved repair costs cause he kept his receipt.

Right now we are having trouble finding good gas. About every other tank results in "increased emissions" warning SES on our BMW.

We have 1 100% gas station in our area, the rest are the corn mix.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:30:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Definitely! A friend gassed up at a convenience market, got his receipt, and went on his way. A few minutes later a cop pulled him over and walked up to his window with gun drawn and pointed at him. He tried to show him the receipt, but JBT wasn't having any of it, cuffed him, and took him back to the store where he showed the owner and the JBT the receipt. Owner apologized profusely, cop tried to ease out quietly but friend called him back, got name and badge number, then filed complaint. Result: Friend got several tankfuls of free gas, JBT had already gotten numerous complaints for attitude and got the axe.

I buy gas with a credit card and always check receipts against line items on card. I've found several erroneous entries over the years. The station switched over to pumps that take credit cards and there haven't been any errors since. I still get receipts because of my friend's experience.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:31:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Damn that sucks but at the same time its awesome that you have a collection of those old receipts
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:32:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Forgot to mention that I always write the trip mileage for each tank on the receipt whenever I refuel.  I track that in a spreadsheet to monitor fuel efficiency.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:32:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Everytime. Keep it for a couple of weeks or so.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Yep same here. I had a relative get pulled by a state trooper who said the clerk saw him drive off. He had his receipt and proved he had payed. End of the story. Would've had a couple more chapters to the story without that receipt... Ain't nobody got time fo dat!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:33:00 AM EDT
[#27]
I say yes
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:33:06 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote

If it's a big purchase or something with a warranty, I scan the damn thing before it fades.

I use my company credit card to buy gas and get a charge notification instantly on my cellphone. Bad gas or question about paying? Here's the electronic receipt....oh excuse me...my receipt is ringing.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:33:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Handy for old gum
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:33:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Haven't bought retail/street fuel in a long time.

But when I did or need to I use a credit card and get a receipt.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thermal paper.  Keep them away from sunlight and heat.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:35:02 AM EDT
[#32]
I always get a receipt. ALWAYS.
CYA, people, CYA!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:38:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

well I guess I cant keep them on top of the toaster oven anymore
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:44:04 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This .
As a Petroleum tech I will tell you If they have a passport point of sale they can pull up your reciept up for over a year back if you got the date and time .

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:50:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Bunch of dinosaurs in here.  I understand the need to be able to document transactions, but it's much easier to do it electronically.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:52:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I always get a receipt. ALWAYS.CYA, people, CYA!
View Quote

Me too!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:53:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Well I guess I will and then hang onto it until I refuel. Although I mentally "shorthand" figure out my mileage each time I fuel up looking for any changes, it never occurred to me to hang onto the receipt incase of water. I just figured it would just be more trash for the car...

Thanks for the suggestion.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:56:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Considering if you pay by credit card it will show up on your statement.  It isn't that hard to prove when you purchased fuel.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:04:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Yes, even if you just keep it till the next fill up, because ive pumped gas out of diesel cars where people had a diesle recept in there hand probably 20 times.

Few diesle engines have no ill effect from gas, some require thousands of dollars in repairs.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:04:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Really?

I was on my bike and stopped to get gas using my debt card. It doesn't hold much so it was quick.

A few miles down the road, a Tennessee State Trooper pulls me over.

The new girl at the gas station called in a drive off on me. I had my receipt.

I'm not sure what would have happened if I didn't. I know there would be a record of me paying, but how long would it have taken me to prove it?

I always get a receipt. Especially on the interstate.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:06:15 AM EDT
[#41]
I do for tax purposes
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:08:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why wouldn't you?

Maybe I'm missing out on the semantics, but I itemize gasoline as an auto expense.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:18:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Yes.  Check it for credit card fraud or to write off your taxes.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:25:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And it will still be readable...for about 6 months, IF oyu keep it in a climate controlled storage area.  A hot sweaty pocket, fuggedaboutit.

<=== still has gasoline receipts for cars I don't even own anymore, I scan them now.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:28:34 AM EDT
[#45]
I use my credit cad when I travel away from home. I use cash when at home and usually always at the same station.

The local station is a pay first station where you have to go in and pay then pump, except for me. Cause I'm a regular and always pay cash they turn the pump on when I arrive so I don't have to make two trips in, one to down pay and the other to get my change.

EBR666
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:31:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Not normally.  Unless I'm using someone's vehicle.

Otherwise, I always use my debit card.  I'd be covered in the case of the OP.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:53:20 AM EDT
[#47]
The gas station I normally go to doesn't even print receipts for gasoline unless you request one.

Ain't nobody got time fo dat.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:51:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Obviously a Build-A-Burger conspiracy to keep you from being reimbursed when you find out you unintentionally filled your tank with Lizard People juice.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:01:54 PM EDT
[#49]
I always go inside and pay after I pump. I think I've been to a prepay only gas station twice in my life.

I also don't use bank drive throughs after getting fucked by us bank about 8 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:04:09 PM EDT
[#50]
I do but that's not why. I use them to calculate mpg.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top