Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/24/2014 9:27:20 PM EDT
I stopped into the local Hastings to see if I could find some cool stuff in the bargain movie bins. They had a whole area of the store cordoned off for their Friday Magic Night. Walking by you can tell how intense these guys get about the game.......So I gotta ask whats the appeal?

Oh and

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:27:58 PM EDT
[#1]
You like watching any sports?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:28:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Football. Both kinds why?

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Different strokes for different folks. I kinda envy their ability to enjoy stuff like that.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:30:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Just a stupid game for kids.  Or at least it should be.

Sadly, I know of adults that play this in their spare time.. one which even makes money dealing cards for these type of games.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:31:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really don't get the appeal of that as a form of entertainment. I mean, there are guys that memorize the names and positions of hundreds of players, follow all the rumours about who's being traded where, memorize all sorts of archaic stats, and will argue until they're blue in the face and hoarse about all sorts of minutiae regarding which player or team is better.

Is that really any different?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:31:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I stopped into the local Hastings to see if I could find some cool stuff in the bargain movie bins. They had a whole area of the store cordoned off for their Friday Magic Night. Walking by you can tell how intense these guys get about the game.......So I gotta ask whats the appeal?

View Quote

Oh and

That image is getting a lot of play lately.  But to be honest MTJ isn't really a nerd thing, it is a basement dweller thing.  

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:31:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Different strokes for different folks. I kinda envy their ability to enjoy stuff like that.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote
I guess it's kind of good if you are into strategy based games but I never got the enjoyment of D&D, Magic etc.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:31:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Just a stupid game for kids.
View Quote
Stupid game? I bet 90% of the people on this site couldn't figure it out.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I really don't get the appeal of that as a form of entertainment. I mean, there are guys that memorize the names and positions of hundreds of players, follow all the rumours about who's being traded where, memorize all sorts of archaic stats, and will argue until they're blue in the face and hoarse about all sorts of minutiae regarding which player or team is better.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's not me boyo.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:33:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Math is hard?

Yeah you have a good point there.

You're probably right.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:34:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like you just came up with a new thread
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Oh and
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh and

That image is getting a lot of play lately.  But to be honest MTJ isn't really a nerd thing, it is a basement dweller thing.  

Are they not the same?

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:35:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I would tap that.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:37:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Fuck OP if you think the magic guys are bad, go sit in on Warhammer 40k
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:38:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Fuck OP if you think the magic guys are bad, go sit in on Warhammer 40k
View Quote
My head would probably explode.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:43:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Girlfriend and I went to the local book and game store to find a board game for us to play together on rainy days/date night etc. Lady behind the counter says "we have a special offer on Magic decks, here are two starter packs for free". We go home read the basic rules (game can become very complicated with lots of mathematics and strategy like chess) and setup a game. It took us about two to three hours to finish the game, and we had fun while playing. We drank beer and joked and laughed the whole time. She ended up winning.

The appeal comes from collecting the cards that you want and building a "team". Then you have to balance your deck with the right kinds of cards for offense and defense etc. Then you take your deck of cards and see if your strategy is better than your opponents. Do you build up lots of small units and use a human-wave technique, or do you build sophisticated and powerful single units, or do you use various "trick cards" to outwit and trap your opponent? There is another "luck of the draw" element as well in that you pull that one card that you really need to save your game, or you don't get it and you lose the game.

Anyone who enjoys games like Chess or Risk would probably have fun playing it.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:48:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Its fun, there's lots of strategy involved, there is a lot of coordination of moves involved, there is a lot of planning involved.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:50:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I've got friends who ask me the same thing about guns, knives and multi tools.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess it's not as simple a concept as I would have thought.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:52:37 PM EDT
[#19]
So why did that one guy freak over that Lotus card or whatever the hell it was?

It does come back to different strokes for different folks.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:52:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Incredibly complex game. I've been playing for many years. Yeah, it has fantasy themes, but then, so do shit tons of "mainstream" games everybody else plays. I mean Chess is about some fantasy kingdoms fighting each other. How many fantasy themed video games do millions of dollars in sales?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:53:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because the last two cards from that deck he opened are worth $30,000. I'm not joking.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, but will he really GET thirty grand when he puts them on ebay?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:57:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because one sold for 5 figures on eBay recently.  

That's what I'm told
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#24]
it like the same attraction as MLP except to Wizards.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:00:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Because the last two cards from that deck he opened are worth $30,000. I'm not joking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:00:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I doubt it, there are some of those lotus cards on ebay now for 8 grand.  Still really impressive either way.  (I have no interest in the game by the way)
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:01:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Um, yes.  They were Alpha edition, right?  If he has them graded at Gem Mint, and encapsulated, he'll probably get $25k for the Lotus, and several thousand for the Tropical Island.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:01:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

He might get more. It is a very rare card that people seek out.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:03:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he's asking WHY is it worth $30,000. Is it a trump card or something?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:04:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not just that, it was an Alpha card, and it was straight from the pack.  Alpha is the "first edition" of the game. Very few printed, and fewer still in Gem Mint condition.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:06:34 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I doubt it, there are some of those lotus cards on ebay now for 8 grand.  Still really impressive either way.  (I have no interest in the game by the way)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If he gets the card graded, he'll get just about $30k. A lot of the ones on the bay have been used and show signs of wear. His has never been touched by anyone. Makes a huge difference.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:07:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's probably the highest "power" card ever printed. Wizards realized the power level was way off, and removed it from the fourth edition of the game. It has never been reprinted, and Wizards has a list of cards they will never reprint.  Anyway it's kinda like a Honus Wagner in collectibility.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:08:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote

Oh and

In a nutshell, it's appeal comes from 2 things: the randomness of buying packs hoping you get good cards is a gambling thing. But the bigger draw for most magic geeks is the math and strategy puzzle. The big decisions you make are how small you can make a deck, to reduce randomness of your draw, versus having enough and the right cards to pull off your strategy. You have rules on minimum deck size, the number of duplicate cards you can have, etc. And then there are any number of tricky timing and trumping rules.

It's a hobby in that people try to build different decks that will consistently perform a particular task. You build a deck for general play using a particular strategy. You build a deck to beat your friend's deck that exploits some particular combination of cards. Players are constantly trying to fine tune their selection of cards to handle a new strategy or new card that was introduced, or just to try to use a particular combination of cards they find amusing or aesthetically pleasing. Players build 'serious' decks, 'fun' decks, etc. Most serious players have a lot of different decks and are constantly tweaking them.

Tournaments have a lot in common with sports leagues, where they draft cards at the beginning as a social and strategy event, paying attention to who has what, and how they might exploit it, and maybe ban some cards perceived as overpowered. Clever, thinking out of the box play is encouraged. I remember an apocryphal tale of a guy using a rare and valuable card where the rules stated you dropped it from like 2 feed and any of the opponents cards it hit were destroyed. Guy tore his rare into little pieces and sprinkled it over the other guy's whole setup. As I recall, the implemented a 'defaced' card rule after that.

I enjoyed playing for a while years ago, but it's really tough to keep up unless you spend a lot of time at it. It's really more for young, single guys who have a lot of time on their hands, and a bent for math and probability.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:11:15 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a pretty significant collection. The value continues to swell beyond belief. Some of the art, especially the old stuff, is what I like too.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:13:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Here's where I build my decks:

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:14:00 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

It's probably the highest "power" card ever printed. Wizards realized the power level was way off, and removed it from the fourth edition of the game. It has never been reprinted, and Wizards has a list of cards they will never reprint.  Anyway it's kinda like a Honus Wagner in collectibility.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now I get that. (Collected Baseball cards for years)

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:14:02 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Just a stupid game for kids. Or at least it should be.

Sadly, I know of adults that play this in their spare time.. one which even makes money dealing cards for these type of games.
View Quote

At least they are not into fucking Yu-gi-oh.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:14:27 PM EDT
[#38]

Gotta ask what is the rarest thing you have pulled from a pack?

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#39]
I tried another card game at one point (Warhammer:Invasion) and here is what I can tell you:

Basically, you are trying to out build and out move your opponent with the deck you build. You are looking for cards that work together that give you the ability to have a unstoppable force to win while hampering the other player. There is not one way to do it as each Color(or faction in Invasion) has its own powers and weakness, so there is a amount of time spent deck building and refinement of that build.

The problem with the game is that if you want to get truly competitive, be prepared to spend $$$$$. There is a reason why it is called Magic:The Spending by many board gamers; most of us won't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

And yes, if that dead mint Alpha Black Lotus were to be professionally graded and encapsulated, $25K-30K is not unrealistic. Mint ones are few and far between, so the hard core collectors with cash will buy it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:14:54 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just a stupid game for kids. Or at least it should be.

Or Pokemon.....Thank god that fad sunk.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:16:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

*sigh* showing my nerd here, but it was removed from the "Revised" or Third Edition of the game.

Yes, technically fourth, since it was in Alpha, Beta, and Unlimited - but I'll be the first pedantic nerd to point it out
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:17:06 PM EDT
[#42]
People still play Magic The Gathering?

I knew that was a big thing way back when I was in junior high and grade school but holy cow...
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:18:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:23:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Well, given that my first packs were opened in 1994 or thereabouts and I sold off the valuable cards in 2000 for a mere fraction of what they're worth now... I couldn't tell yah. At one time I owned a Beta edition Mox Sapphire. I guess that would be worth $5000ish now?  I weep for what I sold off. Oh well. The good thing is, there are so many different formats to play, you don't need the old cards to enjoy yourself. I rarely play at the game stores. I mostly just get together with some old buddies that play. It's like Poker night for us.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:25:22 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh and

Are they not the same?  

Negative.  Could be in the same groups though.  I typically consider nerds to be the math/computer/tech whiz people like myself.  After the internet boom the concept of "nerd" changed as women realized made a lot of money and started getting laid.  Basement dwellers were afraid of women taking their D&D stuff so they remained subterranean.  That is how the genetic split occurred.  

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:25:36 PM EDT
[#46]
MTG was Fantasy Football before FF. You built your 'team' (deck), and then instead of waiting for someone else to do all the work, you had to go out and back up your picks with game performance. Some players are more desirable for FF, some cards are better for MTG.

Also, it's a social game and you hang out with friends for hours and shoot the breeze while throwing cards on the table.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:26:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes

Yeah, and every once in a while I clean off my table and work on my guns. . See those cans of CLP and Gun Scrubber on the table in the pic?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:27:20 PM EDT
[#48]
I played it years ago. It's a pretty fun card game, lots of variety and tactics you can use.

I'd like to get into 40k, but that hobby is stupid expensive.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:27:20 PM EDT
[#49]

You can play whatever you want so long as you have a NRA sticker and like guns.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:27:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Well, given that my first packs were opened in 1994 or thereabouts and I sold off the valuable cards in 2000 for a mere fraction of what they're worth now... I couldn't tell yah. At one time I owned a Beta edition Mox Sapphire. I guess that would be worth $5000ish now?  I weep for what I sold off. Oh well. The good thing is, there are so many different formats to play, you don't need the old cards to enjoy yourself. I rarely play at the game stores. I mostly just get together with some old buddies that play. It's like Poker night for us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too

Sold it to pay rent years ago.

Now it'd buy a .50 cal.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top