BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:10:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.
I do too.
ETA, once in awhile I enjoy raw meat, mildly seasoned.
Freaks the Wife out though.
Tell her that's why we have the pointy teeth.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:10:31 PM EDT
[#2]

I guess I'm the only one here who feeds raw clothes-pins....

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:10:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Raw meat is devil dog approved!

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:11:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I found this series interesting when I myself was considering a raw diet.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2013/04/15/raw-food-diet-part-3.aspx
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:11:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Are you a vet?  It's what our vet recommends.

EDIT:

They're doing good on it.  I don't know what to tell you.
View Quote

Nope, not a vet. I can guarantee you that I have spent more time learning about canine and feline nutrition than is required to get a veterinary degree though.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:11:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

when you visit the Vet for chicken bones that cut the inside of the dog.... OH well
View Quote
what part of No cooked or dried bones is it that people can't understand?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:12:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Feeding raw won't teach them to eat the animals they retrieve if they've been trained right.

As long as they know that you give them the food, they should understand the difference between work and dinner. It's a huge myth that feeding raw will make a dog more aggressive to animals.

I'd get them off that Iams also. If you have dogs that you actually work, why are you feeding one of the worst foods on the market?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yech, "no".  Mine are active hunters, gotten for that purpose.  The last thing I would want to do is teach my babies to eat raw animals.  I want them to find and retrieve animals, not eat them raw.  For me and mine, it's a no go.

Mine run through a huge bag of Iams each month, and eat human grade meat each day, too.  That's when they're not eating xtras from me. Like carrots, cornbread, coffee, sandwiches, dog biscuits, cheese sticks, whatever.

What they don't get is garbage grade bargain basement dog food, or bones.  I am simply not going thru the heartache of a bone mishap with my hunting dogs.  They've got sweet breath, too.

Feeding raw won't teach them to eat the animals they retrieve if they've been trained right.

As long as they know that you give them the food, they should understand the difference between work and dinner. It's a huge myth that feeding raw will make a dog more aggressive to animals.

I'd get them off that Iams also. If you have dogs that you actually work, why are you feeding one of the worst foods on the market?

A ha haaa haaaaah.  Training.  What the hell is that?
Mine came pre-programmed.  My Chessie mixes are real smart, real stubborn and knew their jobs nicely within their 1st hunting season.  Which was lucky for me    It was all instinct and OJT.  Worked great.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:13:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
when you visit the Vet for chicken bones that cut the inside of the dog.... OH well

That's the reason you hear vets just flat out say no chicken bones. People are fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:14:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No offense to your vet, but the majority of vets I met don't know shit about proper nutrition. In vet school, they take one course on nutrition, sponsored by Hills (makers of Science Diet, which is also garbage).

Would you go to your doctor with dietary questions, or do you talk to a nutritionist?
View Quote

So what would you recommend in the middle of the road for dry food? Each dog gets one bowl a day plus whatever we are having for supper.

Black diamond (i meant gold) all year would cost me more to feed them than it does to feed me.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:16:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Our pitbull eats the neighborhood children.
The rottweiler gets the senior citizens.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:16:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The reason most vets advise against chicken bones, is because they realize if they say chicken bones are fine, people will toss the bones from their KFC bucket to the dog, and that can be bad. It's good advice from them, because they have to cater to the lowest common denominator, and it's a CYA recommendation.
View Quote

Personally I would not feed any animal raw meat as the main staple of its diet.
Because the reasoning here being that they could be exposed to any number of things that we humans can. In  my opinion cooking your dog fried eggs and boiled chicken not quite done as the bones will still be red (mainly chicken thighs) and the chicken stock with some rice is normally very good for them. I have also noticed especially around hunting season that some will feed their dogs deer carcasses and the like. I believe that certain large breed dogs can become much more aggressive by devouring camp meat especially when left over bones and other bio-scraps are left in their main living areas. This scenario should be especially avoided around small children and smaller pets who might frequent such an area.

Raw hamburger meat fine on occasion or as a reward for good behavior or obedience to voice command always along with training aid such as a rubber chewing and fetching ball or some other proactive partnership devise.

Some thoroughly cooked pork ok.
No hot dogs, lunch meat, or bologna because of nitrate and high salt content.
Steak and roast trimmings fine.
Brewer's yeast and good quality vitamins recommended.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:18:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So what would you recommend in the middle of the road for dry food? Each dog gets one bowl a day plus whatever we are having for supper.

Black diamond (i meant gold) all year would cost me more to feed them than it does to feed me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No offense to your vet, but the majority of vets I met don't know shit about proper nutrition. In vet school, they take one course on nutrition, sponsored by Hills (makers of Science Diet, which is also garbage).

Would you go to your doctor with dietary questions, or do you talk to a nutritionist?

Taste of the Wild, Canidae, Fromm Gold. Average for a 30lb bag is $45-$50.

Added bonus, USA sourced ingredients, and Canidae and Fromm have frequent buyer programs so every 13th bag is free.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:22:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Check out Victor brand dog food.
It is an economical and good food that makes up the mainstay of my dogs food.
They have constant access to it along with their nightly chicken quarter for each dog.
I pay $28 for a 50lb bag.

Link to review:
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:22:34 PM EDT
[#14]
City boys will find what I am about to say hard to believe.

When we shoot our 4 or 5 deer a year we give our dogs the remains.

Except for the hide and the feet they consume everything.

The entire skeletal system.

It takes them about a week but they even consume the entire skull.

One is a 7 year old 85lb female American Bulldog.  The other is a 3 year old-ish 60 lb lab pit rescue mutt.

They will actually go for days without touching their food bowls.

During that time their coats are shiny, their eyes are bright and their breath smells good.

Their farts stink but that is the only draw back.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:23:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Because the reasoning here being that they could be exposed to any number of things that we humans can. In  my opinion cooking your dog fried eggs and boiled chicken not quite done as the bones will still be red (mainly chicken thighs) and the chicken stock with some rice is normally very good for them. I have also noticed especially around hunting season that some will feed their dogs deer carcasses and the like. I believe that certain large breed dogs can become much more aggressive by devouring camp meat especially when left over bones and other bio-scraps are left in their main living areas. This scenario should be especially avoided around small children and smaller pets who might frequent such an area.

Raw hamburger meat fine on occasion or as a reward for good behavior or obedience to voice command always along with training aid such as a rubber chewing and fetching ball or some other proactive partnership devise.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The reason most vets advise against chicken bones, is because they realize if they say chicken bones are fine, people will toss the bones from their KFC bucket to the dog, and that can be bad. It's good advice from them, because they have to cater to the lowest common denominator, and it's a CYA recommendation.

Any resource item can make a dog aggressive depending on how much they value it. Dog's will fight or get defensive over a high value toy as often as they will over food. It all depends how high value that item is.

Everytime I give my dogs chews, or feed them, they are crated, or in separate rooms behind a closed door. My little guy can get very defensive over his chews and food, so to avoid an issue, I just separate them.

When I'm working with my GSD, I use toys as reward. I can't bring those toys out and give them to her with my little dog in the yard, because I've taught her they are strictly for her and me. Toys in the house, she could care less if he has one.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:24:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Sometimes I shoot squirrels and let the dogs eat them. They eat the whole thing too.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:29:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I fed my dog raw chicken backs and similar stuff for her first couple years. It kept her teeth really clean and her coat stayed in good shape. Her digestive system never fully adapted, though, and every few weeks she'd get the runs and need Flagyl to fix it.

I got tired of the dog diarrhea and switched her over to Canidae dry food. Much easier, though her teeth are dirty now.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:30:42 PM EDT
[#18]
I've done it before for dogs of mine, not with the current though as her stomach is very sensitive. Very rarely I will give her a leg or thigh.

That said, I've never had a problem with giving them raw chicken (bones and all) or any other raw food. They even had more energy, looked better, and teeth were cleaner. No downsides at all.

ETA: Dogs weren't meant to eat kibble.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:31:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I have been known to feed my dogs chilli with beans....
View Quote
Onions and garlic are both poisonous to dogs so I do not feed my dogs chili.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:32:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
City boys will find what I am about to say hard to believe.

When we shoot our 4 or 5 deer a year we give our dogs the remains.

Except for the hide and the feet they consume everything.

The entire skeletal system.

It takes them about a week but they even consume the entire skull.

One is a 7 year old 85lb female American Bulldog.  The other is a 3 year old-ish 60 lb lab pit rescue mutt.

They will actually go for days without touching their food bowls.

During that time their coats are shiny, their eyes are bright and their breath smells good.

Their farts stink but that is the only draw back.
View Quote

My hound will work on a rib cage for 10 hours straight without a break, and he can get every little bit of the in between meat out.

Once he has it pretty well stripped though I will toss it, otherwise he will just start to splinter the whole thing up.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:34:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Any resource item can make a dog aggressive depending on how much they value it. Dog's will fight or get defensive over a high value toy as often as they will over food. It all depends how high value that item is.

Everytime I give my dogs chews, or feed them, they are crated, or in separate rooms behind a closed door. My little guy can get very defensive over his chews and food, so to avoid an issue, I just separate them.

When I'm working with my GSD, I use toys as reward. I can't bring those toys out and give them to her with my little dog in the yard, because I've taught her they are strictly for her and me. Toys in the house, she could care less if he has one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know you're contributing to the problem right?

If you've done it their whole lives I'm not surprised they will fight eachother...

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:40:17 PM EDT
[#22]
My dogs used to fight over food and bones.

I kicked both their asses when they started one day.

Now they share a bowl with tails wagging.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:45:49 PM EDT
[#23]
I give my dogs raw hearts and livers from all the animals that get killed here on the ranch during hunting season.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:48:52 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm single and love to cook! So my dog gets fed real good. He dosn't beg, steal food, or eat crap dried dog food. I wouldn't eat that shit either! I rescued him from a guy who had him on a chain for 9 months straight..... I still have never in the 2 years we have been together put a leash on him. People freak out bout Duke, but at the same time say "That is a great dog"... The same people who say "Don't feed him that, it will do this or that to him". I have never seen a cyote eat crap dried dog food.....
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:10:59 PM EDT
[#25]
The last few times I've cleaned a deer my little dachshund ate like a champ!

I'll give her some of the scraps that we don't cut into steaks or grind into hamburger meat. Accidentally dropped a slice of backstrap last time, she ran and grabbed it before it even hit the ground lol.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:16:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Irresponsible owner.  Seniors are pathetically stringy.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:22:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I've been told that this is only a problem if the chicken bones have been cooked.

Is this wrong?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
you shouldnt give a dog chicken bones...they are hollow and break easily....can be a problem....like deadly problem

otherwise, i give mine raw if i have scraps, or cooked steak trimmings

I've been told that this is only a problem if the chicken bones have been cooked.

Is this wrong?

If you have a pressure cooker, you can pressure cook chicken bones for 90 min (i do 15#), and then mash them up or run them through a food processor. It turns into bone meal. Add to dogs food. Win.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:26:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree but that's what she prefers.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:28:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Added bonus, USA sourced ingredients, and Canidae and Fromm have frequent buyer programs so every 13th bag is free.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our dogs LOVE Fromm.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:30:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Is this wrong?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
you shouldnt give a dog chicken bones...they are hollow and break easily....can be a problem....like deadly problem

Is this wrong?

was what my dad taught me about bones when I was growing up (he's always had dogs, and someone I trust).  could have just been more cautious than necessary, but I've always made a point to only give them bones from large game or other such animals....to me the risk was always disproportionate to the rewards....vets are expensive and I love my pups. (plus, a chicken bone would be devoured in about 30 seconds.  I have one dog that can go through a cow knuckle in a night...and consequently, I'd be afraid she'd not grind it into small bits like she should).
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:30:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If you've done it their whole lives I'm not surprised they will fight eachother...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know the first highlighted part wasn't me, and the second highlighted part was.

One of my dogs is 70lbs, the other is 7lbs.

I separate them, because it's not worth the risk of my GSD mauling my little dog.

ETA: I never said they would fight each other. I do it as a means of never having to find out the hard way.

It's called being responsible with your pets.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:32:39 PM EDT
[#32]
For everyone that has not seen it: Dog Food Advisor

We use Blue Buffalo food and bully sticks for the teeth.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:34:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Only issue I have with DFA is they grade solely off ingredients.

I wish they would take into account where companies source their ingredients, and factor that in.

For example, Natural Balance scores high on their website, but as a company will not disclose where they get their ingredients.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:38:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Raw chicken bones are fine. Only dangerous after they are cooked.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:40:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

The dogs love bully sticks, but man do they stink.

I won't buy them anymore.

I give the cow hooves a lot though, the lab can somehow chew two of them at a time.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:41:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Anytime I trim up a steak or roast (etc) I have my dog's undivided attention.  She gets all the trimmings.  Raw meat diets are good for dogs.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:42:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know.  Thanks  was only trying to look out for the dogs.  glad to be set straight
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:45:08 PM EDT
[#38]
I always cut stips of meat off of carcasses at deer camp when I or someone else shoots a deer.  Usually I'll get a good bunch off the neck or if it's gutted I'll get some off the ribs as well.  Bring it home in foil for the dogs and they LOVE it.  I figure it can't be bad for em I've been doing it for years.  I even give our chihuhua that shit.  Want to bring home some of the forelegs but my wife would probably freak out.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:47:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I always cut stips of meat off of carcasses at deer camp when I or someone else shoots a deer.  Usually I'll get a good bunch off the neck or if it's gutted I'll get some off the ribs as well.  Bring it home in foil for the dogs and they LOVE it.  I figure it can't be bad for em I've been doing it for years.  I even give our chihuhua that shit.  Want to bring home some of the forelegs but my wife would probably freak out.
View Quote

You waste the neck on the dogs?

That's one of the best slow roasts on the deer.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:02:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Just curious, when I am cooking chicken, I usually trim off skin and fat. Can I give that to my mini schnauzer?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Just curious, when I am cooking chicken, I usually trim off skin and fat. Can I give that to my mini schnauzer?
View Quote

It will love it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:32:57 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
It will love it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It will love it.

Or not....

Is it safe to give to your dog? Yep.

Will your dogs stomach and digestive system hold it down? Who knows - give it a try.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:37:51 PM EDT
[#43]
YUP, If I am eating steak they are eating steak....Mine goes on the grill theirs goes in their bowl..  

Rotties love raw meat!!!!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:46:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I kinda wonder if anybody here does just that, and forgoes buying "dog food" at the store.

I'm a little curious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Switch him over to a raw diet.

I kinda wonder if anybody here does just that, and forgoes buying "dog food" at the store.

I'm a little curious.

I do. I started a thread on it a while back in the Pets forum.

I feed a raw prey model diet, which consists of 80% meat, 10% bones, and 10% organs. Basically what a dog would consume when hunting prey in the wild.

Most of the meat should be "red" or sourced from large ungulates. Poultry, fish, and small game can be a part of the diet, but aren't necessary and shouldn't make up the majority. No plant matter is needed AT ALL, but can be given sparingly if the dog wants it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:48:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Only a problem if they are cooked.

When raw, they are completely fine, and in fact are a good source of bone-in meals, especially for smaller dogs.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:51:21 PM EDT
[#46]
My dogs love raw meat. I WILL NOT FEED THEM VENISON, however, for one reason only. Good grief the gas they produce

almost drives me from the house.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Next dog we get will get what we are eating.  But I don't see a point to a raw diet, unless you want them to lose weight or something.

Probably should get routine parasite checks on it if you do that.

Dogs pretty much evolved around eating table scraps.  Commercial dog food is convenient and cheap.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:59:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The risk for contamination from a raw diet for a dog is negligible. Their intestinal tract is much shorter than a human's and is designed to handle that sort of food. Kibble, on the other hand, is processed much more slowly in the gut and has been linked to several cases of food borne illness in both dogs AND humans.

And as far as raw goes, raw hamburger is one of the most likely sources of pathogens due to the fact that it is essentially ALL surface area. Unlike a solid chunk of meat, so which has only a small percentage of surface area per pound, 100% ground meat has been exposed to the surface.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:04:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:33:58 PM EDT
[#50]
My dad used to tell me not to feed raw/bloody meat to my dogs.  He said it would make them fight (he had several dogs and they do get competitive over it).  I've fed mine (I have 3) raw meat and they are enthusiastic but they haven't fought over it.  I'm fairly sure that the 3rd dog we have now (98 lb. half walker half redbone coonhound) would take meat/bones away from the old boys.  She will beat them aside to get to a treat if they drop it.  She grabbed up a dead kitten she found by one of the sheds one day and ate it.  When the old boys (about 50 lbs. of mutt each) came up to see what she had I thought she was going to eat them up the way she snarled and growled at them.

I should probably feed mine more meat that I do.  I just don't buy it as much as I used to.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top