BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:26:53 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Unnecessary. The M14 has a valve on the gas cylinder for just that purpose (grenade launching). However, most people tend to miss that the grip on the stocks are shaved off.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Someone I talked to a ways back mentioned the gas system was neutered so they were only single shot?

Unnecessary. The M14 has a valve on the gas cylinder for just that purpose (grenade launching). However, most people tend to miss that the grip on the stocks are shaved off.

Thanks. I am still learning about the M14. So it's similar to the FN sounds like.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:31:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Thanks. I am still learning about the M14. So it's similar to the FN sounds like.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Someone I talked to a ways back mentioned the gas system was neutered so they were only single shot?

Not adjustable like the FAL. It's an on/off type of valve. Off closes the gas port to the piston to provide full pressure through the barrel, to launch grenades.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:32:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Highly unlikely
Our militaries generally don't like loaded firearms
View Quote

This - might scare the Muslims.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:34:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been to Arlington once.  Beautiful place.  Loved watching those guys do their thing.  There was also a funeral the day I was there which was something to see from a distance.

Unfortunately the biggest thing I remember from it is a guard yelling like a twat at a couple of older folk tourists who tried to walk into an exit instead of an entrance at the front gates (or something akin to that, I don't remember which gates exactly.)  I remember the dude having a really foul look on his face, spitting and yelling "DON'T WALK IN THAT WAY! THIS IS THE ENTRANCE, NOT THAT. NO! NO! DON'T WALK THAT WAY!"  The old people were clearly bewildered by it and confused and had a deer in the headlights thing going on not knowing which way to walk, and the guy continued to yell at them more as if they were subordinate soldiers or something.  It was fucking distasteful and I heard other people saying it was wrong around me.

Some sights should be revered.  
and if some can't or won't respect that reverence, they should be the ones considered distasteful

Yeah, except it wasn't anything like that.  It was two confused senior citizens who took a handful of steps through the wrong gate.

I do remember that story, that woman is an idiot.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:34:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Am I comprehending this right? As a outsider looking in. Some of the finest the US army can bring forth.
Meticulously combed through with a high attraction rate. trained to the enth degree in every small detail of the job/mission.
With a higher than normal sense of duty and honor.
Given the entire support this nation has to offer, and we can't trust them to walk with a loaded rifle?

I just don't get it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:35:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Not adjustable like the FAL. It's an on/off type of valve. Off closes the gas port to the piston to provide full pressure through the barrel, to launch grenades.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gotcha.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:36:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Am I comprehending this right? As a outsider looking in. Some of the finest the US army can bring forth.
Meticulously combed through with a high attraction rate. trained to the enth degree in every small detail of the job/mission.
Given the entire support this nation has to offer, and we can't trust them to walk with a loaded rifle?

I just don't get it.
View Quote

Who says they're not trusted?  It's not the crime of the century they don't have ammunition.

Outrage level: zero.

I'm guessing the soldiers involved and the brass in charge have never, ever made an issue out of this.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:36:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah, except it wasn't anything like that.  It was two confused senior citizens who took a handful of steps through the wrong gate.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been to Arlington once.  Beautiful place.  Loved watching those guys do their thing.  There was also a funeral the day I was there which was something to see from a distance.

Unfortunately the biggest thing I remember from it is a guard yelling like a twat at a couple of older folk tourists who tried to walk into an exit instead of an entrance at the front gates (or something akin to that, I don't remember which gates exactly.)  I remember the dude having a really foul look on his face, spitting and yelling "DON'T WALK IN THAT WAY! THIS IS THE ENTRANCE, NOT THAT. NO! NO! DON'T WALK THAT WAY!"  The old people were clearly bewildered by it and confused and had a deer in the headlights thing going on not knowing which way to walk, and the guy continued to yell at them more as if they were subordinate soldiers or something.  It was fucking distasteful and I heard other people saying it was wrong around me.

and if some can't or won't respect that reverence, they should be the ones considered distasteful

Did someone else step up to lead them the right way?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:38:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They finally figured it out after the second time he yelled at them, as I recall.  I'm almost positive this was at the entry gates or thereabouts, as they were in 2005.  He could have calmly told them not to walk in that way.

The weird part is...and this is nine years ago mind you...going off memory the gates went to the exact same location inside the cemetery.  He just simply didn't want them to walk through that gate since it was an exit.  It was just asinine all around.  Anyway, the memory of it stands out me almost a decade later.  The older dude could have been a veteran himself visiting for the first time in his life.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:40:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Who says they're not trusted?  It's not the crime of the century they don't have ammunition.

I'm guessing the soldiers involved and the brass in charge have never, ever made an issue out of this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just don't get it.

I said I knew nothing of this. They are and should be trusted. But I cant see why they should be put at disadvantage by having unloaded weapons.

Edit for spelling
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:04:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Are their mags at least loaded, even if they are out of the gun but on their persons?
View Quote

Historically, there has not been a big risk of someone trying to steal the unknown soldier.  Given what happened in Canada this week, things may change.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:17:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks.  Based on what happened in Canada, I think it is time to load those M9's and have them carry loaded mags for the M14.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If memory serves, the M14s are unloaded as is the M9.

That said, there is live ammo for the M9 kept in the vicinity.
Thanks.  Based on what happened in Canada, I think it is time to load those M9's and have them carry loaded mags for the M14.  

The M-14s are modified for ceremonial effect.  Make more noise when slapping during Manual of Arms, and ease of opening and closing the actions for inspecting.  I would guess they might not be safe to shoot.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:24:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Politicians and upper brass are afraid of loaded guns, unless those loaded guns are being used to protect them. Then it's ok. You guys ever seen Bloombergs posse he rolls with? At least 5 guns around him at all times, but he hates my guns.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:26:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I doubt it, but in today's time they should be. Shits getting BAD. They are parade guns; all show and NO go.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:26:39 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Are the Guards' M14s at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier Loaded?

Rather than rely on google, I am sure people here know for a fact.  Thanks.
View Quote
No, but they have a Fixed Bayonet on them......

The Old Guard is the only unit in the U.S. Armed Forces authorized, by a 1922 decree of the War Department, to march with fixed bayonets in all parades. This was granted in honor of the 1847 bayonet charge by the regiment during the Battle of Cerro Gordo in the War with Mexico. (from the Wiki on TOG)

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:28:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Doubt it, but I believe there are other Marines close by ready to open a can of whoop ass if needed.  

View Quote

ETA: Brain fart on my part, other soldiers...
The Tombies are members of The Old Guard.... 3rd US Infantry... US Army.......

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:29:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Are their mags at least loaded, even if they are out of the gun but on their persons?

View Quote
What magazines are they Carrying?....... Hint..... None..........

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:38:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Half of ARF would probably blow Putin if they had a chance to
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

they don't need them loaded !!! terrorists  know If you fuck with the Russians you WILL get your ass kicked !! unlike our so called leader Putin will do something ....

Half of ARF would probably blow Putin if they had a chance to

Probably more than half.

But hey, he says some BS stuff to rouse the rabble and their RT style propaganda knows how to play "American Conservatives" like a fiddle.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:38:15 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Ridiculous that a uniformed solider is in public with a weapon but is not allowed to have rounds for/in said weapon.  First we've had soldiers get attacked in Europe, now in Canada, etc.

I wonder what military would say if those guys got a CWP and carried a personal weapon concealed.

They would probably have heart attacks if they knew that Ntl Guard sometimes arm and ride with cops during/after bad hurricanes and have been involved in shootings during said times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ridiculous that a uniformed solider is in public with a weapon but is not allowed to have rounds for/in said weapon.  First we've had soldiers get attacked in Europe, now in Canada, etc.

I wonder what military would say if those guys got a CWP and carried a personal weapon concealed.

Quoted:

If they were loaded half of GD would cry because "Armed troops on American soil blah blah blah" 87 times.....

They would probably have heart attacks if they knew that Ntl Guard sometimes arm and ride with cops during/after bad hurricanes and have been involved in shootings during said times.
Have you ever looked closely at Their Uniform Blouse? How tight it's pulled? Just where would they Conceal a CCW?

We would wrap Masking Tape around our waist instead of wearing a Belt in our Trousers......

It held our Trousers up & our shirt down.. Plus gave a smooth surface for our Uniform Blouse......

It takes 2 People to Put your Blouse & Belt on..... One holds the Blouse tight from behind, while you fasten the Belt to hold it all in place.......

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:47:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Granted this was an M1 Garand and I think it had to due with ceremonial guard at burials.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would they do that?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Granted this was an M1 Garand and I think it had to due with ceremonial guard at burials.  
Still why? When the Firing Team is made up of 7 Members who Fire 3 Volleys...............

Though TOG doesn't use Blank Adapters, they Manually Cycle the Weapon on the Command... Ready...

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:51:50 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
During my time in the AF, the times I got stuck out on a perimeter patrol point we were issued full mags (20 rounds in those days) but you did not put on into the gun until after you had released the bolt.  So while we technically had loaded guns but no round in the chamber so it was as good as empty.

If something happened you had to rack the charging handle and release the bolt and get a round into the chamber before you could fire the gun.  Not something you want to do in front of an armed attacker or can do quietly to surprise a fence jumper trying to quietly enter the base (old guns without forward assist to allow quietly charging a round).

Of course, being AF, at end of shift when you cleared your gun and a round came out of the chamber somebody would be guarding you, and everyone else at the brig very soon after that visit to the clearing barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not loaded.

When you get guard in the States (ammo guard, whatever), you only get a 10rd mag anyways.

And seeing how Arlington in Federal property, its also illegal for someone to "pack", even with a VA CCW.  

During my time in the AF, the times I got stuck out on a perimeter patrol point we were issued full mags (20 rounds in those days) but you did not put on into the gun until after you had released the bolt.  So while we technically had loaded guns but no round in the chamber so it was as good as empty.

If something happened you had to rack the charging handle and release the bolt and get a round into the chamber before you could fire the gun.  Not something you want to do in front of an armed attacker or can do quietly to surprise a fence jumper trying to quietly enter the base (old guns without forward assist to allow quietly charging a round).

Of course, being AF, at end of shift when you cleared your gun and a round came out of the chamber somebody would be guarding you, and everyone else at the brig very soon after that visit to the clearing barrel.
Jeeze..... You ride the charging handle forward & push on the cutout on the BCG to finish closing the bolt.....

The cutout for the dust cover retainer....

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:53:21 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Right on. Opsec.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We had a few Old Guard members here. They'd know.

Im here and I know the answer but that's not something I'd post in an open forum.

Right on. Opsec.

I, for one, will never give the guards any reason for me to find out if they're actually loaded or not.

Anyone who has watched the Changing of the Tomb Guard Ceremony knows the Answer... Nothing OPSEC about it.......

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:57:14 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

No. The cycle the rifle during the changing of the guard, no ammo.
View Quote
This.

Unless they have changed it since I saw them, they aren't loaded.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:03:33 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The M-14s are modified for ceremonial effect.  Make more noise when slapping during Manual of Arms, and ease of opening and closing the actions for inspecting.  I would guess they might not be safe to shoot.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Back in the mid 70's.... The only change to my M14, when we went to Camp AP Hill for Live Fire, was Lubing it up & switching to the Synthetic Stock. Before 1974 we didn't even have the Synthetic Stocks for them. We were issued the Synthetic Stocks along with the Wooden Ones, to reduce the Breakage of the Wooden Stocks.......

Later when I was in PNCOC, atr Ft Ord, I was tasked with giving a Class in D&C.... I could make a M16A1 Pop & Snap as well as I could a M14.....Once you learn how, it's easy.......

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:45:46 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I'm willing to bet big money that they are not loaded.
View Quote
I visited Arlington, drove a civilian pickup truck, with Alaska plates into the cemetery. Watched the changing of the guard, which was a very moving experience, very somber, and very serious.  

Ceremonial rifles were conspicuously empty.

Spent 3 days on post, the onky other armed person I saw were the gate guards, with M9s, empty chambers.

This was before Beruit.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:50:18 AM EDT
[#26]
I was told that they can't drink alcohol for the rest of their lives after being a tomb guard.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:02:10 AM EDT
[#27]
No.  Never.  They (Officers, NCOs, etc.) trust GIs with live ammo.  Probably for good reason considering I've seen/heard of people being damn near killed by soldiers screwing up with their rifles/machine guns/side arms.  In four years in the US Army we had 3 incidents where people unintentionally fired their weapons.  Sometimes they were loaded when they shouldn't have been, sometimes they thought they were unloaded and pulled the trigger.  We were lucky no one got killed.  In all three cases the weapons had just been pointed in another soldiers direction before they were fired - or in one case, in the barracks, we were lucky no one was around but the guy that fired the round because it went through 2 walls before lodging in the third wall - right behind my bed in my room.  

Loaded 1911 pointed in the direction of the armorer.  When the armorer objected the guy pointed it at the corner of the arms room and pulled the trigger to show it wasn't loaded.  The 230 grain fmj went through a boot and a couple rifle butt stocks before hitting the stone wall and stopping.

Loaded revolver.  Trigger pulled because the owner was stupid.  That's the bullet (158 grain HP from a S&W M27) that went through 2 walls and lodged in the third wall opposite my bunk.

M60 machine gun loaded with a 100 round belt and fired off the back of an M113 into an oak tree about 10 or 12 feet above the heads of 3 or 4 guys sitting at the base of the tree in the shade.  All they got was a bunch of bark splattered on them and the shit scared out of them.

Now the Park Police, who patrol Arlington Cemetery do have loaded guns, radios, cars, etc.  Or at least they used to have 35 years ago when I was at Ft. Myer.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:05:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Highly unlikely
View Quote

Yeah, those guys are just shifty and untrustworthy............
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:31:51 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I would bet those are loaded.

And what is it with European facination with that cruel form of torture? What is the history behind the goose step?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

And what is it with European facination with that cruel form of torture? What is the history behind the goose step?

I would imagine it is similar to the big funny hats, intimidation of the enemy.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:49:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I thought they carried M9s for protection.
View Quote

Well, yeah, if you count the M9 that EVERY service member gets issued in boot camp, yeah. I remember I got mine in the clothing issue line, right after my haircut, on day two...

(for the absolute record, ALL military personnel carry loaded guns, everywhere, all the time)
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:11:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Why would they do that?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would they do that?

My guess is some of the ceremonial type guards are from time to time called upon to do salutes with blank ammo and they wouldn't want empty brass flying about . Disable the gas system and the brass stays in the gun to be removed when the action is hand cycled
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:55:19 AM EDT
[#32]

Russia is soooo dreamy.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#33]

Befo reading, no.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:59:13 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I was told that they can't drink alcohol for the rest of their lives after being a tomb guard.

View Quote
Nope, bullshit

ETA:

" The average tour at the Tomb is about a year. There is NO set time for service there. The Sentinels live either in a barracks on Ft. Myer (the Army post located adjacent to the cemetery) or off base if they like. They do have living quarters under the steps of the amphitheater where they stay during their 24 hour shifts, but when they are off, they are off. And if they are of legal age, they may drink anything they like, except while on duty."
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:02:57 AM EDT
[#35]
BTW, I think it's time to make a small magazine that will fit flush with the stock and to fill it with real bullets for the Old Guard.  Arm them with something other than a pig sticker.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:05:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Nope, bullshit  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope, bullshit  

You tell someone in the Army he can't drink forever, he's quitting right there.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:07:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Here's my guess. I think there's official policy and I think there's what they actually do, especially in light of Ottawa.

But that's just a guess.

BTW, one of the first other young men near my age who I knew had a CCW was a retired Tomb Guard.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:42:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Highly unlikely

They took the revolvers away from the missileers in the launch control centers.

You know, the guys that are tasked with launching nuclear missiles.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:50:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Highly unlikely

I wonder if they'd rather have the revolvers back or the plumbing fixed? Or the blast doors...
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:23:52 AM EDT
[#40]
In Austria the Guards on Duty have ONE full mag in the pouch, which is sewn shut.

So gun and mag are empty, but in real trouble the soldiers have 20 rds of .308 at their fingertips.

Hermann
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:26:55 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Looks cool, if you like Nazis. And the Russians love them Nazis, well, up until they invade.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:05:44 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

Negative Ghost Rider, it keeps the action from cycling with the grenade launcher attached to the rifle.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:13:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Well, they gotta use both hands to keep the goose in place, so they had to figure out a way to slam the drawer on it with their feet.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:42:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not when I was there.  We used them in the field, at the firing range, etc.  When we got ready to load up and get trucked into DC during the big riots in 76 or 77 I was sitting in TOP's office waiting for the word to go.  Three of us were going to be issued live ammo to insure we could protect the rest of the company from shooters during the riot control work.

I loved my M14.  TRW 1490317.  Shot expert every single time.  We only shot M16's one time in 4 years.  It was a windy day so scores were lower and we never took them to the field again.  Witht he M14s (shot them the same day) we put the sights on the targets and knocked them down.  With the M16's we were trying to guess how far to the right to aim to hit the targets (at 250 yds. and farther).

I got there in 1975.  We had the walnut/birch stocks (I kept my walnut stock the whole time - you ever see a picture of Honor Guard - 1st Plt. at the White House, or the Tomb, or the Pentagon in 1976/77/78, I'm one of the two guys with walnut stocks, the other guys caved in and put the "purty white" stocks on their rifles - used to bleach the birch stocks to make them even lighter/whiter) for ceremonies and the synthetic stocks for the field.

I sure hope they're not wore out.  Compared to the M16's my M14 impressed me so much that I spent a month's pay ($495) on a new M1A in 1978.  I still have that rifle.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:25:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
It may be just me, but I've always felt having honor guards carry an unloaded rifle was an insult to what their guarding.  Kinda like just for show, instead of actual respect and care.
View Quote

I feel the same way. For one, it diminishes the importance and of the object being guarded, as anything truly worth guarding is done with weapons that are capable of doing so.  Think about how ridiculous it would be if they were carrying Nerf guns, yet they might as well be for how effective they would be in stopping an armed attacker.

Also, refusing to allow loaded weapons does a disservice  to the men selected to guard the tomb, as it sends the message that they cannot be trusted to carry loaded weapons despite all the other duties they carry out faithfully and flawlessly every day.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:49:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
In Austria the Guards on Duty have ONE full mag in the pouch, which is sewn shut.

So gun and mag are empty, but in real trouble the soldiers have 20 rds of .308 at their fingertips.

Hermann
View Quote

Sewn shut? Sounds more of a liability than anything else. "Oh please kind sir, stop shooting for just a moment while I work at this stubborn thread so I can load my weapon and shoot you!"
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:51:40 PM EDT
[#47]
I know someone who had that post.  He was very lucky to get it, as the alternative probably included a trip to Vietnam.

The rifles are not loaded.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:59:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Well, they gotta use both hands to keep the goose in place, so they had to figure out a way to slam the drawer on it with their feet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I lol'd.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:00:21 PM EDT
[#49]
During visiting hours there is someone armed at the tomb but it isn't the sentinel.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:46:02 PM EDT
[#50]

The guns or the Russians?

I'm guessing the guns are empty.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top