Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Loaded M14s:

The palace guards in Stockholm have loaded AK5s with Aimpoints and bayonets mounted ...a few years ago 2 guys dressed up like Santa attacked a guard and stole his.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It may be just me, but I've always felt having honor guards carry an unloaded rifle was an insult to what their guarding.  Kinda like just for show, instead of actual respect and care.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:13:09 PM EDT
[#3]
There is a member here who is in the Old Guard.  I believe he confirmed they are not loaded.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:13:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Given the fact that there is an armed police officer at the Tomb that they rely on for protection I would say no they aren't loaded.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:18:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

It would be difficult to walk such a post in that manner and be alert for potential threats.   Rifle loaded or not, they should have a security detail overwatch with the mission of keeping an eye on who comes and goes.
View Quote
That is an excellent point.  If not the Guards, then some one near them.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:24:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We had a few Old Guard members here. They'd know.
View Quote

Im here and I know the answer but that's not something I'd post in an open forum.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:34:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Im here and I know the answer but that's not something I'd post in an open forum.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:43:24 PM EDT
[#9]
This is a trip, because back in the Pre-WW2 days, when Soldiers stood guard duty in their Class A service wools (with peaked service cap), there existed a pouch, specifically designed for the leather garrison belt, to hold ammunition in charger clips for the M1903 rifle. IIRC they were issued special "Guard loads" of low-velocity ammo, too.
So even when they were dressed up and standing out front with a rifle, they at least had some form of ammunition available, if not necessarily in the weapon. But I have no idea whether they carried rounds in the magazine.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:53:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Are you kidding me?  Risk averse political flag officers.  No way they'd let these heroes have live rounds.

When we first got to KAF, AFG they took our issued M-16's/M4's, locked them up in the armory (conex box).  Then they made us all turn in our live rounds for M9's.  We spent 7 mos on KAF carrying around a service pistol on our hips and 2 empty mags!

I will say, I am medical, and our group of corpsmen, nurses, and doctors had at least one ND nearly every day while in Ft. Jackson in training - they gave us blanks and had to clear going into galley and classrooms all day.  Same folks would go "bang" into the clearing barrel just about every day - you could literally just watch and wait for it.  Needed a good old fashioned blanket party but too PC these days.

I will not confirm nor deny that a few of us had our own live rounds and extra loaded mags, just in case.  The green on blue attacks where happening all over AFG during this period.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:05:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Not loaded.

When you get guard in the States (ammo guard, whatever), you only get a 10rd mag anyways.

And seeing how Arlington in Federal property, its also illegal for someone to "pack", even with a VA CCW.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:07:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I really, really doubt it.

They do have the pig sticker though.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:07:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't know if they are currently loaded but I have a friend who was a guard and when he was doing that years ago his rifle had a full mag and empty chamber.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:11:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If they were loaded half of GD would cry because "Armed troops on American soil blah blah blah" 87 times.....

View Quote

Haha. So true.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:11:16 PM EDT
[#15]

they don't need them loaded !!! terrorists  know If you fuck with the Russians you WILL get your ass kicked !! unlike our so called leader Putin will do something ....
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:11:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It may be just me, but I've always felt having honor guards carry an unloaded rifle was an insult to what their guarding.  Kinda like just for show, instead of actual respect and care.
View Quote

Of course I don't know for sure but I suspect that very few ceremonial guards in the world, if any, have loaded weapons.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:13:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

they don't need them loaded !!! terrorists  know If you fuck with the Russians you WILL get your ass kicked !! unlike our so called leader Putin will do something ....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Half of ARF would probably blow Putin if they had a chance to
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:13:48 PM EDT
[#18]
like the rest of Washington DC that is publicly accessible, it is all for show
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:16:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Arlington is in Virginia
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:16:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Tomb sentinels have been attacked in the past while walking their post. One was taken hotage at knifepoint back in the 80's.

I believe that ever since that incident there has been an armed NPS officer posted to the site during public hours.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:16:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What a sadly beautiful yet powerful image.
View All Quotes

It was terribly dusty here. I think it's because the dog walked in after being outside and dragged in some pollen or something.

Yeah that's it. Pollen.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:18:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm only here waiting on a reply from one poster, but this thread may not attract said poster's attention.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think so !!! but you have to admit putin has waaay more balls then the halfrican  coward we are stuck with as potus ...
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:20:52 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

The Guard is US Army

The tomb guards are soldiers of the United States Army. The first military guards were troopers from the 3d Cavalry, "Brave Rifles", who were posted nearby on Fort Myer. Since April 6, 1948, (known then as "Army Day"), when the regiment was reactivated, it's been Soldiers from 3rd Infantry Regiment, "The Old Guard". The Old Guard is also posted to Fort Myer. It is considered one of the highest honors to serve as a Sentinel at the Tomb of the Unknowns. Fewer than 20 percent of all volunteers are accepted for training and of those only a fraction pass training to become full-fledged Tomb Guards. This attrition rate has made the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier Guard Identification Badge the second least-awarded decoration of the United States military (the first being the Astronaut Badge).[17]

Wiki that shit yo
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Doubt it, but I believe there are other Marines close by ready to open a can of whoop ass if needed.

The Guard is US Army

The tomb guards are soldiers of the United States Army. The first military guards were troopers from the 3d Cavalry, "Brave Rifles", who were posted nearby on Fort Myer. Since April 6, 1948, (known then as "Army Day"), when the regiment was reactivated, it's been Soldiers from 3rd Infantry Regiment, "The Old Guard". The Old Guard is also posted to Fort Myer. It is considered one of the highest honors to serve as a Sentinel at the Tomb of the Unknowns. Fewer than 20 percent of all volunteers are accepted for training and of those only a fraction pass training to become full-fledged Tomb Guards. This attrition rate has made the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier Guard Identification Badge the second least-awarded decoration of the United States military (the first being the Astronaut Badge).[17]

Wiki that shit yo

Decoration, maybe.  Probably fewer President's 100 tabs worn on uniforms (actually ranked HIGHER than the SF long tab in precedence).

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:21:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I don't think so !!! but you have to admit putin has waaay more balls then the halfrican  coward we are stuck with as potus ...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is also a communist who doesn't give a fuck about his citizens. Given the choice between Obama and Putin, none of the above.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:23:04 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Arlington is in Virginia
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Arlington is in Virginia
yeah, just one stop on the blue line from DC

close a fucking nuff

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:24:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Cue the "when tomb guards attack" videos.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:30:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Someone I talked to a ways back mentioned the gas system was neutered so they were only single shot?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:39:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Someone I talked to a ways back mentioned the gas system was neutered so they were only single shot?
View Quote

Why would they do that?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:40:36 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Why would they do that?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would they do that?

Granted this was an M1 Garand and I think it had to due with ceremonial guard at burials.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:40:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Why would they do that?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would they do that?

Ceremonial 21 gun salutes with blanks?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:46:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for your service sir.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:48:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Arlington is in Virginia
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Arlington is in Virginia

It's Federal land.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:49:05 PM EDT
[#35]
no...
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:50:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

close a fucking nuff

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Arlington is in Virginia

close a fucking nuff

Actually, no. It's inbetween Rosslyn and the Pentagon. Neither are in DC.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:07:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Not loaded.

When you get guard in the States (ammo guard, whatever), you only get a 10rd mag anyways.

And seeing how Arlington in Federal property, its also illegal for someone to "pack", even with a VA CCW.  
View Quote

During my time in the AF, the times I got stuck out on a perimeter patrol point we were issued full mags (20 rounds in those days) but you did not put on into the gun until after you had released the bolt.  So while we technically had loaded guns but no round in the chamber so it was as good as empty.

If something happened you had to rack the charging handle and release the bolt and get a round into the chamber before you could fire the gun.  Not something you want to do in front of an armed attacker or can do quietly to surprise a fence jumper trying to quietly enter the base (old guns without forward assist to allow quietly charging a round).

Of course, being AF, at end of shift when you cleared your gun and a round came out of the chamber somebody would be guarding you, and everyone else at the brig very soon after that visit to the clearing barrel.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:13:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Granted this was an M1 Garand and I think it had to due with ceremonial guard at burials.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would they do that?

Stick to stuff you know, like being too tall and FALs.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:20:38 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Right on. Opsec.

I, for one, will never give the guards any reason for me to find out if they're actually loaded or not.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:20:51 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oooopsec...

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:22:22 PM EDT
[#41]
I sincerely hope they are,sort of a no brainer but I would imagine they are not.fucking politicians

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:38:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just let me say thank you for watching over them.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:39:05 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Thanks.  Based on what happened in Canada, I think it is time to load those M9's and have them carry loaded mags for the M14.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If memory serves, the M14s are unloaded as is the M9.

That said, there is live ammo for the M9 kept in the vicinity.
Thanks.  Based on what happened in Canada, I think it is time to load those M9's and have them carry loaded mags for the M14.  

The difference between Arlington and Ottawa, is that at Arlington there is no other "target" besides the tomb there.

In Ottawa, everything is right there, so those two guards at the memorial are the most visible guards at a very big target.

Which makes them the first to be attacked in any attack on Parliament.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:49:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh do tell what the reaction was to the Volgograd bus and train station bombs last year.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:50:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If they were loaded half of GD would cry because "Armed troops on American soil blah blah blah" 87 times.....

View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:53:14 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would they do that?

Um.....No.

And honestly I am curious about the OP's question as well .If you would like to shed some light on the subject at hand please do.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:06:16 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View Quote

Unnecessary. The M14 has a valve on the gas cylinder for just that purpose (grenade launching). However, most people tend to miss that the grip on the stocks are shaved off.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:17:04 PM EDT
[#49]
I've been to Arlington once.  Beautiful place.  Loved watching those guys do their thing.  There was also a funeral the day I was there which was something to see from a distance.

Unfortunately the biggest thing I remember from it is a guard yelling like a twat at a couple of older folk tourists who tried to walk into an exit instead of an entrance at the front gates (or something akin to that, I don't remember which gates exactly.)  I remember the dude having a really foul look on his face, spitting and yelling "DON'T WALK IN THAT WAY! THIS IS THE ENTRANCE, NOT THAT. NO! NO! DON'T WALK THAT WAY!"  The old people were clearly bewildered by it and confused and had a deer in the headlights thing going on not knowing which way to walk, and the guy continued to yell at them more as if they were subordinate soldiers or something.  It was fucking distasteful and I heard other people saying it was wrong around me.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:24:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I've been to Arlington once.  Beautiful place.  Loved watching those guys do their thing.  There was also a funeral the day I was there which was something to see from a distance.

Unfortunately the biggest thing I remember from it is a guard yelling like a twat at a couple of older folk tourists who tried to walk into an exit instead of an entrance at the front gates (or something akin to that, I don't remember which gates exactly.)  I remember the dude having a really foul look on his face, spitting and yelling "DON'T WALK IN THAT WAY! THIS IS THE ENTRANCE, NOT THAT. NO! NO! DON'T WALK THAT WAY!"  The old people were clearly bewildered by it and confused and had a deer in the headlights thing going on not knowing which way to walk, and the guy continued to yell at them more as if they were subordinate soldiers or something.  It was fucking distasteful and I heard other people saying it was wrong around me.
View Quote

Some sights should be revered.  
and if some can't or won't respect that reverence, they should be the ones considered distasteful
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top