Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/24/2014 12:08:19 PM EDT
I updated my 10+ year old rig and now can actually play the new stuff.

What's the hotness?

Portal?

Borderlands?

Half Life 3?  

FEAR?

Homeworld 3?

ETA: Can you ad a little blurb about what the games about?  Like FPS or a RPG, or whatevs.  Gracias!
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:09:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Elite Dangerous..
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:09:39 PM EDT
[#2]
League of Legends

PAYDAY 2

Left for Dead 3 whenever it comes out
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:10:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I am playing borderland 2 and will probably play the new borderlands when I am done, you gets your moneys worth playing it that's for sure.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:13:02 PM EDT
[#4]
If youre into flight sims the DCS series is your ticket. Note i said sim, not game.

It takes a 2 page checklist and 10 minutes to start up your a-10.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:14:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If youre into flight sims the DCS series is your ticket. Note i said sim, not game.

View Quote

Is there any cool flying games that just lets you goof around?

Pilotwings Xtreme?

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:15:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What's the hotness?

Portal?

Borderlands?

Half Life 3?  

FEAR?

Homeworld 3?

ETA: Can you ad a little blurb about what the games about?  Like FPS or a RPG, or whatevs.  Gracias!
View Quote

Diablo 3 - Point and click kill shit with ARFCOM clan.  You know you want it!

Mass Effect was awesome too.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:17:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree with Diablo 3 - but I'm somewhat of a fan boy and play Starcraft 2, Hearthstone, and WoW too...

I would add Arma 3, DayZ, and Minecraft to the list as well.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:18:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the hotness?

Portal?

Borderlands?

Half Life 3?  

FEAR?

Homeworld 3?

Waiiit...they ported Mass Effect over to the PC?

Thought it was consoles only.

My brother ravs about that game, not the ending so much, but the series is amazing.

About D3, I'm more sci-fi than fantasy.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Skyrim
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:19:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Kerbal Space Program - build spaceships from hundreds of parts (solid boosters, fuel tanks, rockets, decouplers, etc) and launch them into space, land on other planets, build space stations, etc. Takes some learning of orbital mechanics (youtube helps) as its somewhat realistic. Best game I've played in a long time.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:19:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
League of Legends

PAYDAY 2

Left for Dead 3 whenever it comes out
View Quote

My guess is in a year or two, you know, after Half-Life 3 comes out...

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:19:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I agree with Diablo 3 - but I'm somewhat of a fan boy and play Starcraft 2, Hearthstone, and WoW too...

View Quote

I just downloaded AirMech since I loved Herzog Zwei.

Looks like Arma 3 is free on Steam right now.

Isn't that the FPS the Army put out?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:20:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Goat Simulator.

KSP is great too.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:20:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Arma III and different mods
DayZ
7 Days to Die
Life is Feudal
iRacing
Rust
The Evil Within
The Forest
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:29:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Modern simulation:
Arma3 + mods

FPS:
Payday 2 (get the base game and then buy all the DLC during Steam sales)
Team Fortress 2

WWII flight and tank battles:
War Thunder

Zombie FPS:
Arma 2 + DayZ mods

Space combat:
Star Citizen

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:30:32 PM EDT
[#16]
PC gaming is about having more options than the newest Grand Theft: Mordor title or yet another rehash of the same call of duty crap that will only run on the current generation of consoles. If you want good games find a genre you like and be prepared to go back 10 or more years. You will miss many good games just looking at newer stuff.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:30:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Surprised nobody has said Red orchestra 2, that game is the tits
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:31:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Crysis
Cyrsis Warhead
Crysis 2
Crysis 3
Far Cry 3
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:33:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Borderlands TPS is the shit right now.  Cranked up to 11 at 1440p, playing as Claptrap, it's gorgeous and hilarious.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:34:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Skyrim
View Quote

And Oblivion.

Any hopefully Skywind.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:34:37 PM EDT
[#21]
You're thinking of America's Army. Arma is something different but much more popular.

The new Borderlands is fun but I honestly think Borderlands 2 is a lot more enjoyable overall- grab the Game of the Year edition for that- I didn't have as much fun leveling up in the new one and I felt like the classes were less enjoyable (although Wilhelm is my favorite character, his blurbs cracked me up).

FEAR is a long dead franchise. The first was great but the third one is just awful.

If you like that sorta horror-ish atmosphere with solid gunplay check out the Metro series, they're really beautiful games with an awesome atmosphere set in a post-apocalyptic russian subway.

Kerbal Space Program is a very popular game where you launch little green men with a dream of space flight into orbit, and it's somewhat realistic, at least insofar as something like that can be and be enjoyable to play. It's very novel and pretty entertaining, and when you try and land on a moon and snap off your landing gear you will be MAD AS HELL, but in the good way that only videogames can do for you.

Deus Ex Human Revolution is a few years old, but if you're out of the loop on PC games its worth playing. It had good console releases too, though, but it's a near-future cyberpunk game that is the prequel to the other Deus Ex games, and the voicework is near movie quality- very interesting and engaging to play. You can pick how you want to play it, stealth or shooter mode, and it's pretty interesting.

Since you have a good rig now, consider grabbing Skyrim and modding the ever living fuck out of it. That game has a lot of potential with the right graphics, textures, and gameplay mods, at least if you like playing with that sort of stuff. If you don't it's still a decent game on its own. It's Elder Scrolls, but a good deal more dumbed down than Oblivion or Morrowind- but regardless, they always get immersion and worldbuilding right in those games, and in one of the DLCs you do get to go back to Morrowind, or Solstheim anyway.

X-COM Enemy Unknown and Enemy Within are the new takes on the old XCOM franchise, and it's done by the people who do Civilization. It's very fun, pretty uncompromising, and an interesting turned based game where you get to blast aliens and build robots. To blast aliens with.

Just for fun, you should pick up the Crysis games, especially the first one. They're very old now by modern standards, but they were originally a great symbol of what a PC game can be when you don't have to compromise towards consoles. That fell off as they became console games later in the series, but Crysis 1 and Crysis Warhead show some incredible gameplay and graphics technology that most modern games don't. It's a game that starts out about shooting North Koreans, then it turns into shooting aliens.

Other honorable mentions worth grabbing that will probably be very inexpensive during the steam sales-

Bastion- isometric RPG with a very pretty painted world that is narrated through. It's a really surreal gameplay experience and although short, is very frenetic and enjoyable. Also has fantastic background music.

Warhammer 40k Dawn of War 2 and Dawn of War 2 Retribution- you get to command a squad of space marines and beat the fuck out of aliens and occasionally humans and space marines and demons and anything else in a tactical RTS.

Just Cause 2- another example of PC gaming without having to cater to console peasants, it features one of the largest in game worlds of any game. You play a pissed off mexican who shoots up an island nation while working for the CIA or some such equivalent. The story is cheesy and unimportant, but the big gimmick is you have a grappling hook and can latch shit together. Attaching some poor enemy army private to a nearby jet taking off and watching him be trailed behind is nothing short of hilarious.

Steam's Halloween sale is probably going to be starting up soon.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:36:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Arma 3 is buggy crap, not worth $29.99

Edit: America's Army is the Army game.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:36:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it just a feee trial, or download it now and keep it forever free??
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:38:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:38:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Very much depends on your personal tastes. Do yourself a favor and get an xbox one controller, some games are just better with it.

Google green man gaming and sign up with them, they will send you 20-25% of codes. They give you a steam key after your purchase.

Now as for games...

Skyrim - this game is still pretty especially with mods, I can pretty much go back to it at any given time and do something I haven't done before.

Diablo 3 - Now with the latest updates it's the game it always should have been. If you like loot this is the game to play.

Heroes of the storm - was iffy on the whole moba genre but try to get into the alpha for this and give it a try.

Newer borderlands - great shooter with co-op and loot mechanics

Far Cry 3 - Because it's good and to get pumped for Far cry 4.

Tomb Raider - Absolutely loved this game. Its a solid 3rd person shooter with a decent if not goofy story and decent gun upgrade mechanic throughout the game.

Shadows of Mordor - Please get this if you even have the slightest interest. I skulk around in the shadows and kill/ mind control orcs, I issue death threats to orc captains and slip in and chop their heads off. Just plain fun.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:39:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:39:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Just Cause 2 sounds hilarious.

Giving it a try.

Torturing NPCs in funny ways is always entertaining. Attaching them to various vehicles and watching them be dragged sounds like a hell of a good time
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:41:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Borderlands TPS is the shit right now.  Cranked up to 11 at 1440p, playing as Claptrap, it's gorgeous and hilarious.

View Quote

Indeed.

Another vote for Skyrim, Half-Life and Diablo 3.

CoD: Black Ops II was a lot of fun, much better than Ghosts. I liked Titanfall, but I don't think it has much life left in it. I also like Battlefield 4, but it has some bugs.

Metro: Last Light and Bioshock Infinite both had great story lines.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:42:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Civilization V

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:43:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:43:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Far Cry 3

Fallout 2 and 3
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:43:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

What's the hotness?

Portal?

Borderlands?

Half Life 3?  

FEAR?

Homeworld 3?

View Quote

IMO - all the must haves came and went around 1997-2006, you're late to the party.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:44:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:47:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:48:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

What I missed one???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Crysis
Cyrsis Warhead
Crysis 2
Crysis 3
Far Cry 3

What I missed one???

It follows the british or irish dude or whatever from the first one. It's pretty short and plays just like the first.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:48:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Far Cry 3

Fallout 2 and 3
View Quote

I'd play 1 before I'd play 2, and I'd play NV before I'd play 3...

Far Cry 3 was ok, but I thought the gunplay was ridiculously shallow, and the world was too empty.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:50:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Im going to say WoW even though it is an old game. It has to be the most successful pc game ever id guess.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:50:28 PM EDT
[#39]
World of Warcraft

You know you want to.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:50:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Steam's Halloween sale is probably going to be starting up soon.
View Quote

If you can't control your spending I would recommend not logging onto your computer while Steam is having any of their sales...
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:51:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:52:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Titanfall. The new update and map packs are awesome.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:53:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
World of Warcraft

You know you want to.
View Quote

From the little that I have played the WoD beta, the next expansion is looking to be very solid..
I took a break for all of Cata and most of MoP, only to find out that MoP was a lot better than I had anticipated, and WoD looks to be another step in the right direction.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:53:46 PM EDT
[#44]

I played the first and third for way too many years.

Outstanding games, especially with the STALKER/Complete bug fix add-on.

To the OP:

Take a look at the Angry Joe review of 'Loadout' on youtube.

It's good for some 3rd person shooter yuks and fun.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:55:29 PM EDT
[#46]

Thanks for all the replies.

I don't really have time to get really immersed in any RPG games.

It's going to have to just be fun games I can dick around with for a few hours.

I'll check out Crisis, I played Far Cry and I kinda sucked at it.

Like I said, I'm more sci-fi than Fantasy, so WoW, Skyrim, Diablo don't really hold any appeal.

I just DL'ed KSP, I've been watching Robbaz's videos of it.  Should be fun to blow up some rockets on the pad.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:56:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Weird, I have it memorized and didn't even look at a checklist the first time, but then again, I already fly jets. That's definitely not something for the casual gamer. All the games the OP listed and everyone else so far are kid games so I doubt he'd like DCS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weird, I have it memorized and didn't even look at a checklist the first time, but then again, I already fly jets. That's definitely not something for the casual gamer. All the games the OP listed and everyone else so far are kid games so I doubt he'd like DCS.

So mature, clearly anything that isn't a flight sim is kid stuff
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Thanks for all the replies.

I don't really have time to get really immersed in any RPG games.

It's going to have to just be fun games I can dick around with for a few hours.

I'll check out Crisis, I played Far Cry and I kinda sucked at it.

Like I said, I'm more sci-fi than Fantasy, so WoW, Skyrim, Diablo don't really hold any appeal.

I just DL'ed KSP, I've been watching Robbaz's videos of it.  Should be fun to blow up some rockets on the pad.

View Quote

For some serious how-to and a good look at the things that can be done with the game, I recommend watching Scott Manley's videos.

He's got a good tutorial set and usually has a storyline or two running.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Titanfall. The new update and map packs are awesome.
View Quote

So why is it $19.99 for the DVD on Amazon, but $39.99 for instant access?

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:00:48 PM EDT
[#50]

I finally picked up S.T.A.L.K.E.R. on Steam.  I was bored last weekend and realized I hadn't tried it, despite so much good press over the years.

My favorite PC games have been Portal, Half Life (any of 'em), Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Borderlands/Borderlands 2, and Saint's Row 2 and 3.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top