Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/24/2014 8:26:22 AM EDT
I have no idea why I went to BP as hard as I have over the last year or so but man did I get bit hard. I used to have a safe full of tacticool toys and now I am down to three.
I now have a closet full of smoke poles ranging from a 1740's .61 french Fusil fowler, .50 Hawken,to a 1780's .50 J.P. Beck rifle(all modern made flintlocks, except for the percussion Hawken). I have original style tomahawks,knives,hunting bags,scrimshawed powder horns,etc..
Used to be I had plate carriers and such instead but I find the old stuff much more appealing now for some reason. Heck I even started making old style clothing like moccasins, elk hide leggings,breech clouts,and hunting frocks. Now I want to go hang out at BP matches and living history events. Best part is I have been making almost all of my gear and spending more time with my two young sons doing it and they love it! We are going to start doing their boyscout camp outs 1700's style with a bell back tent and old school cooking gear and recipes. This past week my 13 yr old son and I went on his first hunt using only flintlocks. We saw one deer but we spooked it when my rifle failed to ignite the moist powder in the pan (that's what I get for filling the pan 2 hours in advance in damp dew soaked air). I am thinking maybe it because I turned 40 this year and feel like all this HSLD stuff is a young mans game anymore, and that the old ways better suit me. Who knows, I just thought I would share this thought with GD.
My newest knife /a hudsons bay style skinner

Made this smaller one for my youngest son for his boyscout crossover/ a small hudsons bay style camp knife

my goto rifle /J.P.Beck .50 rifle

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:29:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I had a kentucky 45 and a hawken 50, but I just grew tired of them.    Sold them a few years back.    I will say though that hawken was pretty awesome.  

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:32:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Not tired, so much, as maybe put off by prices of some things.

Now, if I had more time, heck yeah, black powder stuff looks hella fun
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:33:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I am not that kind of girl.. well with LP only
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:35:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Get both. I have a pretty nice professionally built .50 flintlock Kentucky rifle and all the accouterments; hawk, bag, powder horn, powder measure, tools, etc. They are loads of fun to shoot and make you savor each shot since it takes so long to reload. Shooting flintlocks has definitely improved my shooting from the standing off hand position in particular.  

While perfectly lethal and capable of taking game they are toys compared to modern, magazine fed, semiautomatic rifles. Really makes you appreciate 200 years of firearms technological advances.

A modern rifle and body armor/Load bearing equipment are practical tools. Black powder guns are toys in comparison.

To keep out damp you can seal your pan with oily rag or wax (extinguished the candle flame first before doing this).
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:43:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I go bore deep in bp.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:46:42 AM EDT
[#6]
BP?

Too modern.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:48:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm with you OP. My son's unit (1-1 Gunfighters) bought Uberti 1858 .45 Colt revolvers, engraved with the unit crest, when they returned from Iraq in 10 and he gave one to me for Christmas. I now have 1851s, 1860, 1861 and 3 Uberti cartridge guns. Love the history, workmanship, sound and appreciation for what our forefathers went through to shoot. I just joined the National Muzzle Loading Ass'n as I live in N Ky,  close to their HQ in Friendship IN. Have fun!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:50:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Ever get into DP?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:50:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

oh I like that
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:52:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Just like fly fishing! Got totally into it, did it all summer, not touched in a year.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:54:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Don't own any black powder sticks but I love the old lever actions.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:57:03 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

Yeah now yer talkin!
I don't have any polearms, but I do have a flanged mace I made at work years ago and a few swords.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:57:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Nope. Have zero interest in BP except for looking at them in museums, or attending some living history event.

However, I think it's really neat that you have included your sons in your newfound interest. Quality time with the kiddoes in the great outdoors is time well spent.

That said, I could be swayed to the BP side with the right incentive.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:58:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ever get into DP?
View Quote

Not this week.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:58:53 AM EDT
[#15]
If I get tired from shooting my ARs, AKs and semi-auto handguns I just pull out the lever actions, bolt actions, pumps and revolvers.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:59:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Muskets are .mil style firearms, they're just 1700's .mil style firearms.

I haven't caught the BP bug yet. My only BP firearm is still a breech loading cartridge gun (Martini-Henry).
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:59:45 AM EDT
[#17]
I am so fucking old I was very happy when they came out with smokeless powder.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:00:21 AM EDT
[#18]
When I enlisted, I begged for a Colt 45 with pearl handles, but they gave me a funny look and 1911 instead
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:00:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Nope. Have zero interest in BP except for looking at them in museums, or attending some living history event.

However, I think it's really neat that you have included your sons in your newfound interest. Quality time with the kiddoes in the great outdoors is time well spent.
View Quote

Yeah they think I'm a cool dad now in a few years they will be avoiding bringing friends home because dad shoots guns that smell like farts.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:02:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I haven't caught the BP bug yet. My only BP firearm is still a breech loading cartridge gun (Martini-Henry).
View Quote

Please tell us more about the M.H. I would love one of these to mess with. Hows finding ammunition for them? Do you have to reload?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:02:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Beautiful. I feel the same way lately. I can only afford the Indian guns for now though...
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:05:46 AM EDT
[#22]
I find myself getting tired of black rifles.  Safe is full of them along with a number of NFA items

find myself slimming down the collection and getting guns I think have style and fit the bill.  Haven't got into BP yet...but someday.  recent buys in the past several years that I love are:

Remington 700 Classic in 6.5 x 55mm Swedish
2- Browning Hi Powers
Beretta Silver Snipe Over and Under 12 ga. (originally I bought this for my Dad...but the last visit he brought it back and said he was unable to enjoy it)

I'm bored with black rifles now

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:06:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If I get tired from shooting my ARs, AKs and semi-auto handguns I just pull out the lever actions, bolt actions, pumps and revolvers.
View Quote

I like those as well but I think the rokloks just make me feel a connection to the old days when fire arms were still hand built one at a time.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:08:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Please tell us more about the M.H. I would love one of these to mess with. Hows finding ammunition for them? Do you have to reload?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

20 rnds = $140
http://www.tenxammo.com/tenx_ammo_B.html
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:09:35 AM EDT
[#25]
No offense....but I think people who dress up and try to pretend its olden days are kind of weird, like nerds.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:11:58 AM EDT
[#26]
I hate black powder.  But I have delved back into classic Sako bolt guns.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:14:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Beautiful. I feel the same way lately. I can only afford the Indian guns for now though...
View Quote

The Indian guns get a bad rap sometimes due to the wood work and sometimes crude locks, but they can most of the time be made into nice pieces.
here is one I reworked a few years back:

The funny thing about the flint pistols are how loud they are. This one is a 1720's style .72 french cavalier dragoon horse pistol and when it goes off is sounds like a cannon and sends out a shock wave.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:16:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Black powder firearms--especially flintlocks and revolvers--fascinate me, but I haven't gone there. Yet.

«tc2k11»
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:17:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
No offense....but I think people who dress up and try to pretend its olden days are kind of weird, like nerds.
View Quote

You just got out of high school, right? Do you even read?

Kids these days, no imagination or appreciation of the past....
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:18:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMA is the place to get one. If you're looking for a shooter, the Mk. IV "Long Lever" models are the way to go. Order an untouched Mk. IV and all you'll really need to do is break it down and clean the heck out of it. All of the ones I've seen were in great shape under the gunk.

The Mk. IIs are a crap shoot. They'll all need some wood work, and some will be missing parts. They're a project gun. They'll probably be shootable once you get them working, though. I haven't yet seen one that I wouldn't shoot once it was restored.

You don't have to reload - a couple of places sell loaded ammo - but it helps as the ammo is expensive. Buy once, then reuse the brass.

Don't be scared of ordering the untouched guns. Be aware that they're filthy, and the Mk. IIs will need some wood repairs, but elbow grease and time will uncover a very nice rifle.

My Mk. II went from this:

To this:
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:19:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That said, I could be swayed to the BP side with the right incentive.

View Quote

I had such a teenage thing for her.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:21:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Having and mastering modern arms and their support equipment are a responsibility of a free citizen.

That said, it is also my hobby.  Sometimes I get bored with it and do something else, but I would not get rid of them and I always come back.

Black powder is a cool hobby, one of the many things I would do but for time and money.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:23:15 AM EDT
[#33]
In the end, how many tacticool toys do you need?

I figure that by the time I need something from .mil, there will be plenty laying around on the ground to pick up.

Nice smokepoles, btw.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:24:56 AM EDT
[#34]
I am into BP solely to increase deer hunting opportunities. I have a TC Firestorm for flintlock days at local refuge. TC encore for all other legal BP days.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:27:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Having and mastering modern arms and their support equipment are a responsibility of a free citizen.

That said, it is also my hobby.  Sometimes I get bored with it and do something else, but I would not get rid of them and I always come back.

Black powder is a cool hobby, one of the many things I would do but for time and money.
View Quote

I didn't get rid of all the modern stuff. I did keep a few, like these and a type 56 SKS, some S&W revolvers I'll never sell and a couple of others.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:27:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The Indian guns get a bad rap sometimes due to the wood work and sometimes crude locks, but they can most of the time be made into nice pieces.
http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee502/KobraKomander/0622120707_0001_zps4a81c688.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee502/KobraKomander/0622120707_0001_zps4a81c688.jpg

That looks great!
Yeah, I just have a 1728 French Infantry musket and a 1728 British Dragoon for flint locks so far. I had a Shortland2nd  Pattern Brown Bess that I sold a few years back as well. I'll probably get another of those soon or maybe a 3rd pattern.
My favorite era is the French and Indian war right now though, been doing a lot of reading about it lately. It's a forgotten war to most Americans.

I also have a 1860 Army and a beautiful Uberti 1862 Pocket police with a 6 inch barrel. The pocket police is a lot of fun to shoot.

I also made my own tomahawk recently too.

Here's the Hawk:

And here it is when I wasn't done with my Dragoon:

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:31:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, I can't read. I just imagined that OP said he likes to make moccasins and shit and wants to play dress up for boy scouts. I also thinks he might like to go hunting with a gun that does not go bang.

I appreciate the past, I just don't have any interest in LARPing around in it. That shit is for nerds.

Sheesh...some people's kids, bless their heart.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:35:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That looks great!
Yeah, I just have a 1728 French Infantry musket and a 1728 British Dragoon for flint locks so far. I had a Shortland2nd  Pattern Brown Bess that I sold a few years back as well. I'll probably get another of those soon or maybe a 3rd pattern.
My favorite era is the French and Indian war right now though, been doing a lot of reading about it lately. It's a forgotten war to most Americans.

I also have a 1860 Army and a beautiful Uberti 1862 Pocket police with a 6 inch barrel. The pocket police is a lot of fun to shoot.

Here's the Hawk:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/hughjafj/P1010011_zps57e7b99d.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/hughjafj/P1010008_zps4de32858.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That looks great!

Here's the Hawk:

Yuck, that couch and pillow look disgusting...
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:36:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

IMA is the place to get one. If you're looking for a shooter, the Mk. IV "Long Lever" models are the way to go. Order an untouched Mk. IV and all you'll really need to do is break it down and clean the heck out of it. All of the ones I've seen were in great shape under the gunk.

The Mk. IIs are a crap shoot. They'll all need some wood work, and some will be missing parts. They're a project gun. They'll probably be shootable once you get them working, though. I haven't yet seen one that I wouldn't shoot once it was restored.

You don't have to reload - a couple of places sell loaded ammo - but it helps as the ammo is expensive. Buy once, then reuse the brass.

Don't be scared of ordering the untouched guns. Be aware that they're filthy, and the Mk. IIs will need some wood repairs, but elbow grease and time will uncover a very nice rifle.

<a href="http://s747.photobucket.com/user/MVolkJ1975/media/Milsurps/1876LSAMkII_zps46d44f8e.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx116/MVolkJ1975/Milsurps/1876LSAMkII_zps46d44f8e.jpg</a>

To this:
<a href="http://s747.photobucket.com/user/MVolkJ1975/media/Milsurps/MHMkII_zps38ed8fb6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx116/MVolkJ1975/Milsurps/MHMkII_zps38ed8fb6.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s747.photobucket.com/user/MVolkJ1975/media/Milsurps/1876LSAMkII_zps46d44f8e.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx116/MVolkJ1975/Milsurps/1876LSAMkII_zps46d44f8e.jpg</a>

To this:
<a href="http://s747.photobucket.com/user/MVolkJ1975/media/Milsurps/MHMkII_zps38ed8fb6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx116/MVolkJ1975/Milsurps/MHMkII_zps38ed8fb6.jpg</a>

Nice!

Where'd you get that buff sling?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:36:29 AM EDT
[#40]
I went from BP to mil-surps.

When I was a young man you could buy all manner of repro BP CW era guns (and even real ones) and shoot cheap if you cast.....Now not so much. Repro BP guns have out paced inflation by at least 25%. It's not a game for the "thin of wallet" these days.

I bought two mint M1863 Springfield muskets back in 1980 for $200 a pop. That was a lot of money for me back then (about $600.00 each in today's money) but they would easily bring $1800-$2000 each today.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:37:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Nope, I can't read. I just imagined that OP said he likes to make moccasins and shit and wants to play dress up for boy scouts. I also thinks he might like to go hunting with a gun that does not go bang.

I appreciate the past, I just don't have any interest in LARPing around in it. That shit is for nerds.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

larping? These aren't foam weapons and lame teeny boppers playing elf.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:38:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That looks great!

Here's the Hawk:

Aren't you just a ray of sunshine....?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:39:24 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm into BP pistols.  I have three of them, all .44 cal.  Keeps it simple.  I love the fact that they ship BP stuff right to your door.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:39:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Nice!

View Quote

Same place as the rifle - http://www.ima-usa.com/british-victorian-white-buff-leather-sling-for-martini-henry-lee-metford-and-enfield-rifles.html
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:43:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Huh, I'm the flip side of your coin, OP.

I was heavily into BP for sixteen+ years. AWI reenacting, BP shooting matches, etc. before I got totally and completely burned out.

With the boys growing up and money finally being a little less tight, I got the AR I was wanting for years.

Now it's all 21st Century for me
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:45:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice!

Same place as the rifle - http://www.ima-usa.com/british-victorian-white-buff-leather-sling-for-martini-henry-lee-metford-and-enfield-rifles.html

Thanks, that looks like It would work for older stuff too. It looks similar to a French Charleville sling I saw at Brandywine Battlefield.

What's the length between sling swivels on that rifle?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:47:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

IMO anything that involves doing something beats the hell out of hobbies that involve the couch, where the majority of American males spend so much of their time.  Even better if it involves multiple skill sets.

I would much rather talk to a guy that shoots BP and makes his own knives than a guy that talks about nothing but the upcoming professional sports season,
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:49:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

<-----Weird nerd checking in.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:50:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That looks great!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That looks great!

Good looking hawk man! I wish I had the nerve to try inlays on my handle like that.
mine looks plain hehe.
Here's the Hawk:
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:53:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe......but only a little bit.

Me, I was all about informing the public about our History in a way they could SEE, and TOUCH, and even smell (the BP smoke).
Seeing how our forebears fought and what they fought with always rings a bell with the public.

That and paying homage to the heroes who fought for our country against all odds. They deserve to be remembered.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top