BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:41:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No flame intended at all, but concealed, for civilians, is almost always better unless you are not likely to encounter anyone (out in the bush, etc).  And I say this as someone who lives in a state that doesn't infringe on open carry.  We don't need a permit for open carry here in NH.  I think the element of surprise is very important and why I recommend concealed carry.  The other exception is where someone is in uniform and there is no element of surprise.  

Surprise---->Speed---->Violence of Action
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My wife wants to open carry while she goes on walks around the neighborhood and by the river and mountain in front of our area with our son. I am super happy she want to carry now. But I am not sure how I feel about everyone in town seeing her with a gun. We have always been low profile and am not sure I want people knowing we have guns. How does everyone feel about this? She is worried about mountain Lions and coyotes. Even though there has not been any sightings around here.

No flame intended at all, but concealed, for civilians, is almost always better unless you are not likely to encounter anyone (out in the bush, etc).  And I say this as someone who lives in a state that doesn't infringe on open carry.  We don't need a permit for open carry here in NH.  I think the element of surprise is very important and why I recommend concealed carry.  The other exception is where someone is in uniform and there is no element of surprise.  

Can you please replace Walt in the governor's race?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:59:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

For the love of god woman!!! Slap on a piece and take a walk. Open carry is good for the soul.  Good on ya.  Don't let this pack on Nancys keep you from doing what you need to do.
<snip>
On the serious side, you might want to think real hard about letting hubby train you.  My wife is a really smart lady and I'm a damned good trainer and we even do pretty well in the marriage department but we've got too much husband and wife stuff between us for either of us to really try teaching the other anything.  Sometimes it's ok to step out on your marriage
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can I just clarify something PLEASE?

I don't want to carry anywhere heavily populated or anything. I'm not going grocery shoping with it or anything like that. I'm going on hikes with me and my toddler and maybe friends. There HAVE been sightings of cyoties and mountain lions and rattle snakes thicker than my leg, and I know a few people who have had run-ins with said animals while hiking with their kids, or even running in semi-populated areas in town.

I would love to go practice more, and I would love for my husband to teach me. I definately need more practice, but SOMEONE is nervous about leaving the little with a babysitter.

I just don't want to get eaten is all.

For the love of god woman!!! Slap on a piece and take a walk. Open carry is good for the soul.  Good on ya.  Don't let this pack on Nancys keep you from doing what you need to do.
<snip>
On the serious side, you might want to think real hard about letting hubby train you.  My wife is a really smart lady and I'm a damned good trainer and we even do pretty well in the marriage department but we've got too much husband and wife stuff between us for either of us to really try teaching the other anything.  Sometimes it's ok to step out on your marriage

This.  

If one of you is nervous about leaving the toddler with someone while you get range time in, perhaps a pistol skills course with a perfeshnul instructor is a good idea for you. They're generally not very expensive, and worth the time and money.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:06:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I came in for wife pics but OP did not deliver.

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:14:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Speed, surprise and violence of action is all well and good in an offensive action and can be beneficial in a defensive one but there's more to defense than a trite little saying.

Poison arrow frogs and venomous snakes are bright pretty colors to tell everyone well in advance that they are not to be messed with.  Both are lightning quick and quite surprising but If Mom Nature thinks it a good idea to warn off trouble early, who are you to argue.

Personally I love to see a woman strapped.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My wife wants to open carry while she goes on walks around the neighborhood and by the river and mountain in front of our area with our son. I am super happy she want to carry now. But I am not sure how I feel about everyone in town seeing her with a gun. We have always been low profile and am not sure I want people knowing we have guns. How does everyone feel about this? She is worried about mountain Lions and coyotes. Even though there has not been any sightings around here.

Speed, surprise and violence of action is all well and good in an offensive action and can be beneficial in a defensive one but there's more to defense than a trite little saying.

Poison arrow frogs and venomous snakes are bright pretty colors to tell everyone well in advance that they are not to be messed with.  Both are lightning quick and quite surprising but If Mom Nature thinks it a good idea to warn off trouble early, who are you to argue.

We are discussing reality here, not your sexual fantasy.  Weapon retention is a serious concern, especially for a smaller framed woman who not only doesn't shoot much but I can guarantee doesn't practice retaining her gun or shoot at near contact distances.  

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:17:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
if she's going to carry for her protection then she should carry. Open, concealed, it doesn't matter. It's about her defense.
View Quote

This, and no .22, good for her.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:20:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I don't want to carry anywhere heavily populated or anything. I'm not going grocery shoping with it or anything like that. I'm going on hikes with me and my toddler and maybe friends. There HAVE been sightings of cyoties and mountain lions and rattle snakes thicker than my leg, and I know a few people who have had run-ins with said animals while hiking with their kids, or even running in semi-populated areas in town.

I would love to go practice more, and I would love for my husband to teach me. I definately need more practice, but SOMEONE is nervous about leaving the little with a babysitter.

View Quote

Start by taking a good 2 to 3 day pistol course to give you more confidence in basic shooting skills.  Supplement this with regular range time.  Go alone (indoor range) or with a friend if you don't want a babysitter.  If you're going to carry, concealed or open, you need to have a minimum proficiency or the gun becomes more of a liability than an asset.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:21:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

no not in the neighborhood. She walks though it to go out to the trails and stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's the problem again?

I am not sure I want to deal with neighborhood drama that might come of this. We do live in an HOA area so they might get all butt hurt if enough people complain.

You have wild animals in a neighborhood that has a HOA? You might want to notify them.

Seriously if your neighborhood is rural enough to have wild animals in it. Then it seems like the HOA wouldn't care.

no not in the neighborhood. She walks though it to go out to the trails and stuff.

To hell with their Feels man, is it legal in your state to open carry? If so let her and try and educate anyone that complains, and get her/give her some training.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:22:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, I would love to..  We don't have the best of choices this cycle.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:28:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Open carry a quality handgun she is proficient with in a quality holster.

LOL at the crybabies who probably try to conceal carry their hunting guns to maintain the element of suprise while dressed in blaze orange.

"I like to keep a low profile..."

So you never bought a gun from someone? Ammo at a store??

Good luck in the closet there bud.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:30:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Start by taking a good 2 to 3 day pistol course to give you more confidence in basic shooting skills.  Supplement this with regular range time.  Go alone (indoor range) or with a friend if you don't want a babysitter.  If you're going to carry, concealed or open, you need to have a minimum proficiency or the gun becomes more of a liability than an asset.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mildly disagree.

There are plenty of reports of 90 year old women who effectively used a gun for self defense.

It's not rocket science.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:49:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I couldn't agree more. The husband wife training thing seldom works out. Find a local instructor and get some more training. It doesn't need to be some high speed tactical crap either. If you are any where near Orem I can give the name of a guy that will work with you and the hubby.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:49:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Either you're real anorexic, or you have rattlers in your area that are breaking records in size.

Sorry honey, as a snake fan and owner, you're talking bullshit, and make your case weaker.

Coyotes, unless rabid, typically flee human presence.

Mountain lions, not prevalent anywhere I've lived, and I don't know their behavior patterns.

eta: forgot to put all parts I had issue with in red intitially. Could have fixed misspelling of coyote, but didn't.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:52:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nobody would care around here.

If you live in an area with mountain lions, I bet they wouldn't care there either.
View Quote

^This.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:56:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If she wants to carry go cc. Open carry is effing retarded.

I was in a crowd with an open carry idiot a few weeks ago. I was behind him and could have taken his weapon without trying. What if it wasnt me and it was some methed out cock fag work nothing to lose. He thought he was cool though.

Opsec is king.

May as well hang a huge ass sign off your neck saying im a fucking target. Come take my gun. Never give a threat that king of advantage.

Don't let your wife do that to herself. Be a hard target. Surprise is a great weapon.

If she wants to open carry, go long gun. Make a real statement. Not trying to be rude, just make sure she really grasps the potential gravity of choices.
View Quote

Can you tell us how a mountain lion is going to take her sidearm?  Lacking opposable thumbs, I don't see this would happen.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:59:31 AM EDT
[#15]
The weapon handling doesn't take trips to the range to get better at. She could practice that at home and become quite good without firing a shot. I don't get out to shoot nearly as much as I would like but I can't even keep track of how many times a day I practice my draw stroke because I always want to get faster at it and if I don't practice I know I will get slower. If she practices drawing the weapon properly to where it is quick and on target the actual shooting part won't be too hard to accomplish.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:13:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I was in a crowd with an open carry idiot a few weeks ago. I was behind him and could have taken his weapon without trying. What if it wasnt me and it was some methed out cock fag work nothing to lose. He thought he was cool though.

Opsec is king.

May as well hang a huge ass sign off your neck saying im a fucking target. Come take my gun. Never give a threat that king of advantage.

Don't let your wife do that to herself. Be a hard target. Surprise is a great weapon.

If she wants to open carry, go long gun. Make a real statement. Not trying to be rude, just make sure she really grasps the potential gravity of choices.
View Quote

This guy
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:19:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Opsec is king.

View Quote

You're going to fit right in here.

You should have made more jokes about fat people, but at least you did say huge ass.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:20:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:11:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

OP, that is a very good question.  Without a doubt, she should carry a gun...open or concealed.  Do not discourge her from carring...how she wants.  If she does carry open, make sure its at least a L2 hoster and of good quality.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:14:02 AM EDT
[#20]
It is her right - if it is legal where you are- but expect hard feelings from neighbor gun grabber types.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:17:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Either be happy or dont. Who gives a flying fuck that anyone knows she carries. THEY WONT FUCK WITH HER FOR THE FUCKING LOVE OF GOD.

Fucking dumbest motherfucking post of the fucking week. Fucking pathetic.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:26:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

We are discussing reality here, not your sexual fantasy.  Weapon retention is a serious concern, especially for a smaller framed woman who not only doesn't shoot much but I can guarantee doesn't practice retaining her gun or shoot at near contact distances.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My fetish aside, mission dictates load out.

If the mission is a jaunt in the woods with giant kitty cat of death supression as a secondary objective, open carry is ideal. Should a 2 leg predator present himself, being visibly armed might be what keeps him peacable.

If the mission is standing in a crowd of pistol snatching murderers, discretion might be the better part of valor.

But you can carry as you please and so can she.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:32:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I know they are made up rules by the leg humpers in their moms basements.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As another member on here said recently.....

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, WHERE ARE THE DAMN PICTURES?!?!?!

DON'T YOU KNOW THE RULES?!?!?!?

I know they are made up rules by the leg humpers in their moms basements.

That's the excuse of a man married to a tranny
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:03:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Either you're real anorexic, or you have rattlers in your area that are breaking records in size.

Sorry honey, as a snake fan and owner, you're talking bullshit, and make your case weaker.

Mountain lions, not prevalent anywhere I've lived, and I don't know their behavior patterns.

eta: forgot to put all parts I had issue with in red intitially. Could have fixed misspelling of coyote, but didn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hiking with a friend would be of more protection against a mountain lion than a gun. They are way less likely to attack groups. It'd be pretty miraculous for someone with little to no training to get a shot off on the mountain lion they don't see until they are wearing it like a backpack.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:41:01 AM EDT
[#25]
You are in the USA.
Everyone has guns.

Don't overthink it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:42:26 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

What's the problem again?

View Quote
No pics.  

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:49:39 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Opsec is king.

View Quote
Far out.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:52:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Either be happy or dont. Who gives a flying fuck that anyone knows she carries. THEY WONT FUCK WITH HER FOR THE FUCKING LOVE OF GOD.

Fucking dumbest motherfucking post of the fucking week. Fucking pathetic.
View Quote

Decaf my friend....you need it
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:21:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Open Carry = WINNING
View Quote

No, no the fuck it doesn't, on ANY level. You alarm the sheep, and you alert the wolves that if they ambush you close in, they get a free gun. AND if they figure out where you live, they have a new place to break in to when you are not home to "show them my got daymn forty mother fuckin' five"

Grow the fuck up, drama queen...
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:30:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

This might interest you.

Read an article once by an outdoor writer who visited a friend out west. Went out hiking in the afternoon and as the sun went down on his way back he started getting the heebie jeebies. Didn't see anything but felt like he was being watched. Next day he and his friend were hiking the same area and they came across fresh mountain lion tracks that paralleled his previous route.

If I were hiking in known mountain lion habitat I'd sling a shotgun and ignore the HOA. Or buy a treadmill.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:40:04 AM EDT
[#31]
FFS There is so much WTF in this thread my head hurts already this morning. You have to be somewhere on the east coast or a transplant to the west from there.

1st; Where in the blue fuck do you actually live that you are afraid of Mt. Lions in your AO OP? How many deer do you typically see on one of your forays outside the wire? Are there deer (what kind) eating your shrubs in your HOA?

2'd: Even if there are lions, I will guarantee you won't see them before they see you.

3'd Open carry a .22 in an HOA to stop a lion?  Best grab your granddaddies 30-30. Lions are fragile (and good eaten) but to stop one that is comming for ya always from behind? LOL.

4th Pics of wife. Rules-they exist for the good of the community.

5. Get a Big Dog if your HOA nazis will allow it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:46:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:52:52 AM EDT
[#33]
dude. people are going to relize about the guns, i would rather the wife be safe.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:16:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Where I am not comfortable with her carrying at all. I always try to take her to the range with me But she does not seem to want to go. She can shoot and hit the targets but her manipulation and loading and drawing is lacking a lot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is her skill level?

Where I am not comfortable with her carrying at all. I always try to take her to the range with me But she does not seem to want to go. She can shoot and hit the targets but her manipulation and loading and drawing is lacking a lot.

She midas well carry a toy gun then. If she doesn't know how to operate and handle a gun she is going to hurt herself or worse someone else by going out wild west style and just carrying a gun to carry a gun.

She needs to understand the gun itself is simply a tool and if she doesn't have any skill in using that tool she either needs to learn to use that tool or carry another tool such as mace or a taser.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:24:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My wife wants to open carry while she goes on walks around the neighborhood and by the river and mountain in front of our area with our son. I am super happy she want to carry now.
View Quote

Open carry is a political statement, not a self-defense strategy.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:27:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My wife wants to open carry while she goes on walks around the neighborhood and by the river and mountain in front of our area with our son. I am super happy she want to carry now.

I think it is both.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:29:16 AM EDT
[#37]
As I was growing up we would shoot at home on a regular basis, dad would say "It keeps the neighbors honest" now that I have moved out I have a range in the back yard and I see his point even more.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:30:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:31:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I think it is both.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it is both.

What tactical advantage does the badguy knowing your are armed ahead of "go time" afford you?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:32:32 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm personally not an opponent of open carry in circumstances that warrant it such as hiking so I'd say on some levels she GTG .

The only thing that I would explain to her is that a pistol is one shitty weapon to go to gun fight with. Yes, it's better than nothing but to maximize the weapon a person should be looking to squeeze every last benefit out of it as possible. Some of those advantages that can be enhanced are caliber, ammo selection, etc..

The primary advantage of a handgun, as has been mentioned, is that it generally can be concealed, hence offers the advantage of surprise against potential human opponents.

By open carrying you're negating that benefit.  Something to think about. A firearm, particularly a pistol, does in no way guarantee safety. It's simply a tool that can hopefully tip the odds if things go south. For it to tip the odds though it has to be used to fullest and every advantage squeezed out of it .
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:33:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

What tactical advantage does the badguy knowing your are armed ahead of "go time" afford you?
View Quote

Probably none.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:35:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
if she's going to carry for her protection then she should carry. Open, concealed, it doesn't matter. It's about her defense.
View Quote

this. Id tell her to go for it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:42:41 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

well said, Jane.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:44:27 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Someone open carrying a firearm is not going to deter a criminal one bit. If it were a deterrent, police officers would never be engaged by crooks. If I were intent on robbing you and saw you were armed I'd already have my gun out when I approached and would likely just shoot you to make it easy. I'd then sell your gun too. A novice who knows nothing about firearm retention shouldn't open carry either.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:54:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Someone open carrying a firearm is not going to deter a criminal one bit. If it were a deterrent, police officers would never be engaged by crooks. If I were intent on robbing you and saw you were armed I'd already have my gun out when I approached and would likely just shoot you to make it easy. I'd then sell your gun too. A novice who knows nothing about firearm retention shouldn't open carry either.  
View Quote

Conceal carry is better but let me ask you this question.............let's say a person lives in a piece of shit neighborhood in Detroit and open carries.............is he safer or in more danger than someone who doesn't carry when walking around his neighborhood?

I was much safer when open carrying because I was never robbed, whereas, I was robbed a couple of times when not armed.

Anecdotal but it is what it is.

For a long time now I have a CPL and like it better but back then CPL's were only may issue and we know that really means "no issue".

Did I get questioned by cops.........of course I did but nothing ever came of it once they ran a check on me.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:00:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not recommended for a variety of reasons. all if which you know.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:03:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Ever consider not putting you and your kid in harms way?  Find another route or walk in groups would be my recommendation. You will never see a lion before it's on you or more likely your kid since kids are smaller and they can drag them away before you will get your gun out and that is probably a good thing, since most of us may shoot and hit the kid instead of the animal.  I have no problem with open carry but it can cause as many problems as it prevents.  ymmv

speeling edit.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:14:58 AM EDT
[#48]
OC, CC.....neither one if the carrier cannot draw and shoot ACCURATELY in a very short period of time.

PRACTICE
PRACTICE
PRACTICE

If not, stay inside or be a potential victim. Her/your choice.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:18:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Get a good holster.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:19:24 AM EDT
[#50]
CCW.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top