Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2014 9:25:44 PM EDT
Let's see, in a country of 300,000,000+ humans, only 1 Ebola death and half a dozen sick.  4 of those brought Ebola to the US, the two doctors in Atlanta (Liberia) that started this here, the guy who died in Dallas, (Liberia) and now a doctor in NY coming in from Liberia.  The other two are health workers who got sick because of the patient in Dallas.

Take that on AVERAGE between 1977-2007 23,607 Americans die every year from the seasonal Flu.  

The crazy histerics over Ebola is similar to the crazy fear of evil black rifles killing children in schools by the bus load.  The fear is irrational and completely unfounded.

CDC annual death stats for the Flu
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:27:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I approve of the concept

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:27:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Methinks you don't understand how this all works.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:29:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Let's see, in a country of 300,000,000+ humans, only 1 Ebola death and half a dozen sick.  4 of those brought Ebola to the US, the two doctors in Atlanta (Liberia) that started this here, the guy who died in Dallas, (Liberia) and now a doctor in NY coming in from Liberia.  The other two are health workers who got sick because of the patient in Dallas.

Take that on AVERAGE between 1977-2007 23,607 Americans die every year from the seasonal Flu.  

The crazy histerics over Ebola is similar to the crazy fear of evil black rifles killing children in schools by the bus load.  The fear is irrational and completely unfounded.

View Quote

And tens of millions have died of the flu in the past, on occasion.

Are you trolling, or just dense?   People aren't making a big deal out of what has happened, they're making a big deal out of what *could* happen.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:32:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I hate to source these guys, but get a clue.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/lawrence-solomon/death-by-influenza_b_4661442.html
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:32:42 PM EDT
[#5]
There are thousands of Americans dying right now from Ebola but you won't hear about it on the Obama News Networks until after the mid term elections.  Chances are pretty good that you or a member of your family have it now.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:33:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

People aren't making a big deal out of what has happened, they're making a big deal out of what *could* happen.
View Quote
This

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:34:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Liberal logic ---> your comparison will be twisted to be: Ebola has affected very few compared to other ailments but is bad so it must be wiped off the face of the USA...ARs have affected (negatively) very few compared to feathers and harsh words but are bad and must be made illegal...

...FBHO and every other liberal...
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:35:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Dying is dying.......but dying with your body melting from the inside out doesn't have a lot of appeal, especially if it can be avoided.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:38:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People aren't making a big deal out of what has happened, they're making a big deal out of what *could* happen.
This  

this +1

it's the response that I am concerned about.....how lightly it's being taken.  

the mortality rate for flu is 0.5 per 100k  http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/flu.htm

this means that 1 person out of 200,000 cases will die of flu.

the mortality rate for ebola is 70%.  http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebola-virus-outbreak/ebola-death-rate-70-percent-who-says-dire-new-forecast-n209226
this means that 140,000 people will die if 200,000 get infected.

THAT is the difference.  just sayin'
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:41:52 PM EDT
[#10]
IBTL
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:45:04 PM EDT
[#11]
How many ebola cases does it take to bankrupt a hospital, state or nation?

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:54:12 PM EDT
[#12]
flu doesn't have a 70% mortality rate
flu deaths are mostly the elderly and infirm, not otherwise healthy people
flu doesn't require hundreds of man-hours contact tracing possible exposed people
flu doesn't require families and healthcare workers being quarantined
you don't have to send a hazmat team to gut each flu patients apartment and burn all their earthly possessions
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:34:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
flu doesn't require hundreds of man-hours contact tracing possible exposed people
you don't have to send a hazmat team to gut each flu patients apartment and burn all their earthly possessions
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

70% mortality rate.......In Africa.   The comon cold probably pushes close to 70% in some African areas.  
The elderly and young used to be the case with the flu, now they say everyone should get the flu shot.  Not just babies and old fucks.
Lol, with 20k deaths annually, how many man hours are spent dealing with the flu?  Not counting the millions of man hours used in diagnosing, treating and lost labor man hours because of the flu.
Families are quaranteened because of what?  Fear of the unknown?  And the absurdity of destroying everything in a closed off apartment for a virus they say will die in 6-8 hours I guess makes perfect sense to you.  Why not just shut down the hvac, lock the doors and fumigate it?  

The Ebola arguments are based on ignorance (fear of the unknown) and fantasy what-ifs.   The exact same arguments ignorant and doomsday prophecies love to cow to.  The same arguments used by anti gunners on law abiding gun owners.  

Quoted:
There are thousands of Americans dying right now from Ebola but you won't hear about it on the Obama News Networks until after the mid term elections.  Chances are pretty good that you or a member of your family have it now.

LOL, thanks for proving my point.  

Quoted:

And people who own an AR15 and 100 round Beta Mags could go on a school shooting spree.    Makes perfect sense, the "could happen" should out weigh common sense and logic.  

I've been to Africa, and to African hospitals.  Even if I was bleeding out I'd rather shove a handfull of hay in my wound and walk to a western hospitol than be treated in an African hospitol.  Comparing Liberian healthcare to any western healthcare hospital is complete lunacy.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:38:29 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Let's see, in a country of 300,000,000+ humans, only 1 Ebola death and half a dozen sick. 4 of those brought Ebola to the US, the two doctors in Atlanta (Liberia) that started this here, the guy who died in Dallas, (Liberia) and now a doctor in NY coming in from Liberia. The other two are health workers who got sick because of the patient in Dallas.

The crazy histerics over Ebola is similar to the crazy fear of evil black rifles killing children in schools by the bus load. The fear is irrational and completely unfounded.

View Quote

You're right, but this thread isn't going to go well for you.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:46:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I hope this is weapons grade sarcasm.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:27:27 AM EDT
[#16]
your post has some merit....some.

It's like the difference between someone living within 5 miles of a prison fearing an escaped prisoner killing them as opposed to a drunk driver -vs- someone living within 5 miles of a prison the day 100 prisoners escape fearing an escaped prisoner killing them as opposed to a drunk driver

You could have taken Liberia a year ago when the first case of Ebola occurred and made the same analysis, saying that Malaria and similar diseases are the real threat.  Then things change.

If you plot all gun deaths, handgun deaths, and assault rifle deaths, assault rifle deaths will say at less than 1% (after all, ALL rifles collectively get around 3%) fluctuating mildly over time.

Do the same with flu and Ebola in the countries at least 3 months from first documented infection.  Flu deaths will stay fairly steady, and as soon as Ebola gets a toe in the water deaths increase, causing a real spike.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#17]
hey OP,

you going to tell this guy:

"Why you worried Bro?  Stats say you more likely to die from heart condition!"

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:37:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I hope you are right OP.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:51:19 AM EDT
[#19]
If Ebola breaks out in the US, the run on water and food supplies is going to make the run on guns and ammo look like a walk in the park.  A 70% mortality factor in the adult healthy population of a first world nation will be a disaster.  But at least we know the .gov is prepare to contain it.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Very true.

An even better comparison would be "People with ARs" to "People with Ebola"

Literally millions of Americans own ARs and they account for ~.6% (~60) deaths per year.

If millions of Americans had Ebola... I'll be in my bunker.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:01:51 AM EDT
[#21]

There isn't a 70% chance of death encountering an assault weapon or flu.

And that asshole doctor could have infected thousands of people yesterday.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:04:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Would you worry about a little fire burning in the corner of the room, or would you wait until the whole house was up in flames to start worrying?

It's only a concern because of the obscenely high mortality rate.

Plus it's no fun thinking about your internal organs turning to Jell-o, and oozing out of every orifice, which is pretty much what happens.

With the flu, you feel like crap, hope you don't get pneumonia, and sleep it off.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:13:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Your chances of surviving the Flu is 98% and even higher if you are not real old or sick.

The chances for surviving Ebola without major medical help is about 30%.

P.S. We don't even know what kind of medical problems that the survivors are left with.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:07:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Would you worry about a little fire burning in the corner of the room, or would you wait until the whole house was up in flames to start worrying?
View Quote

Naw, dawg.  We should be completely cavalier about it.  What's the worst that could happen?

Besides, a couple of people have survived.  Clearly, it only kills people in Africa.

I get OP's sentiment.  Some are overreacting.  I guess it balances out all of the people who are claiming "there is nothing to see here".  I'm not particularly worried, but I'll take the proverbial ounce of prevention over a pound of cure; particularly when it comes to something like bleeding out of my ass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top