User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:59:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
£50, a secure gun cabinet and filling a form in is not a lot of red tape. We aren't an armed people because we don't need it yet. That may change...on the other hand we don't have wackos running around shooting schools and other innocents up anything like as often as you do.....    
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Practically you are a disarmed people. Lets not pretend otherwise. Yes with a lot of red tape you can own some simple firearms. You can't have modern defensive rifles, nor can you carry handguns or even generally possess them in the home.
£50, a secure gun cabinet and filling a form in is not a lot of red tape. We aren't an armed people because we don't need it yet. That may change...on the other hand we don't have wackos running around shooting schools and other innocents up anything like as often as you do.....    

To be fair, Murica has a slightly larger population, and most "gun violence" is committed by a certain segment of the population who haven't recovered from slavery.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:05:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

What the hell is lawful possession in regard to ammunition?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
These people are a lost cause....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2805268/Royal-Protection-officer-arrested-ammunition-personal-lockers-grounds-Buckingham-Palace.html

"A Royal Protection officer has been arrested after bullets were found hidden in personal police lockers in the grounds of Buckingham Palace.
The 9mm ammunition was found in a dedicated 'police station' within the palace grounds and is believed to be from the Metropolitan Police's own supplies.
The officer was arrested at his home on suspicion of misconduct in public office and unlawful possession of ammunition....."

An OFFICER possessing ammo INSIDE A POLICE STATION is illegal?  
No words for this idiocy.

What a fail of a country.
An officer scattering live ammunition in amongst his colleagues belongings does not amount to lawful possession...  

Possession of centrefire ammunition without the lawful authority of being on and acting in execution of your duty would be the offence.

Yes GD you need a licence to purchase and possess ammunition here as well as the firearms. The Police Officer in question would not be able to claim lawful authority for possession of ammunition on the basis of him being a Police Officer if he was placing it covertly in his colleagues lockers.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:06:45 PM EDT
[#3]
why don't they respect his 2nd Amendment rights?

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:05:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Possession of centrefire ammunition without the lawful authority of being on and acting in execution of your duty would be the offence.

Yes GD you need a licence to purchase and possess ammunition here as well as the firearms. The Police Officer in question would not be able to claim lawful authority for possession of ammunition on the basis of him being a Police Officer if he was placing it covertly in his colleagues lockers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
These people are a lost cause....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2805268/Royal-Protection-officer-arrested-ammunition-personal-lockers-grounds-Buckingham-Palace.html

"A Royal Protection officer has been arrested after bullets were found hidden in personal police lockers in the grounds of Buckingham Palace.
The 9mm ammunition was found in a dedicated 'police station' within the palace grounds and is believed to be from the Metropolitan Police's own supplies.
The officer was arrested at his home on suspicion of misconduct in public office and unlawful possession of ammunition....."

An OFFICER possessing ammo INSIDE A POLICE STATION is illegal?  
No words for this idiocy.

What a fail of a country.
An officer scattering live ammunition in amongst his colleagues belongings does not amount to lawful possession...  

FFS
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:09:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I guess recent events have shown the Canadians that possessing ammo is not a good thing that could save lives if their parliament building or war memorials are attacked?
View Quote

You get most honour guards at momuments typically all dont carry ammo. I believe the US is the same in this regard as well at places like Arlington.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:10:00 PM EDT
[#6]
That's as stupid as the troops not being allowed to carry a gun while on base.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Section 139 CJA 1988 fail! It's 3" or 76.2mm in new money.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
What about pointed sticks?

not longer than 3.5".....  

Section 139 CJA 1988 fail! It's 3" or 76.2mm in new money.

It will be 3" by the time you finish stabbing...

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:48:29 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

So when are you deploying?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you own an AR10 legally? How about a semi pistol in 9mm?

AR10 with no gas tube as a manually operated rifle = no problem (apart from primary extraction issues!) A semi auto AR10 is a Section 5 firearm (  US equivalent would be a Class 3 / NFA  weapon). Registered Firearms Dealers with Section 5 authority can own them but there is no general civilian ownership of centrefire semi or full auto firearms.

A 9mm semi auto pistol is legal for humane dispatch of deer and may also be possessed and shot as a Section 7 weapon for historic reasons. Historic includes modern firearms as well as your classic Lugers, Mauser Red Nines etc.

I'm sitting here with a .45 caliber Glock on my hip and a .380 caliber KelTec in my hip pocket, there's another .45 in a case on the bookcase and one in pieces on the gun bench waiting to be worked on, as well as a 6.8 SPC AR-15 that I may put a new trigger in tonight.  That's just the ones not locked up.  The safe in the center console of my truck has two more centerfire handguns, the safe in the back of my office has...umm... let me check the spreadsheet.. we'll just say "over twenty" firearms of multiple calibers, most of which are semiautos.  The only purchase license I have is a Curio and Relics Federal Firearms License, which was used to have two of the handguns shipped to my door, several of the rifles were shipped to my door courtesy of a program to sell military surplus .30 caliber semi-automatic rifles to competition marksmen and instructors.  While to wear a handgun on my person in public requires a license, no license is required to have as many firearms as I wish in my vehicle, and there's no legal requirement to lock any of them up.  Let's not even get into ammunition or reloading, other than to note that a friend was inquiring on Facebook about some 5.56mm ammunition for one of his friends, and I mentioned I could possibly sell a case and just replenish my supply tomorrow when the gun store opens...

So when are you deploying?  

When Uncle Sam gets REAL fucking desperate and digs my name out of an old database, since the last time I wore a uniform was as a cadet in 1993.  Of course, some of that 20+ in the safe is my brother's collection, which I'm holding because he's an active duty Ranger, Airborne, Air Assault qualified infantry officer (he was an RI with Free and completed the Best Ranger Competition while assigned with the RTB), and he wasn't able to keep his personal weapons while stationed in Germany and is currently in a short-term school assignment and doesn't know if he'll be able to keep any of them the next place he's stationed.  

See that little pistol icon?  It means I teach classes.  I'm also involved with a group that has done major donation programs to support the troops every year for the past few years, we sent a lot of Kindles preloaded with books (including blanket permission to use everything published by a major science fiction publisher) to base hospitals for the use of wounded warriors.  We'd probably be sending more but we started hitting too much bureaucracy, they wanted us to incorporate as a 501c(3) before letting us donate the devices.  Back when the GWOT kicked off, I was still a competition shooter and active in the rifle competition forums, and the head of the Army Marksmanship Unit, LTC Liwanag, made a comment about his guys being run into the ground trying to support the designated marksman training program.  I reminded him that the NRA and CMP were FORMED for the purpose of improving the marksmanship skills of the armed forces, and that they had a BUNCH of VERY well-trained competition shooters around the country who would gladly donate their time to assist.  About two months later, the Army started soliciting competition shooters with certain skill levels (either classified as Master or High Master or Distinguished Marksman, possibly including those who had earned Leg points but hadn't yet legged out) as auxiliary instructors for the DM program.  My classification wasn't high enough so I didn't get to assist, beyond the original idea.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:21:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Just like some of our Marines in Lebanon, in 1983.

May they rest in peace.

They lost their lives, because of our elected officials' stupidity.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you know that the Canadian guard/soldier that was slaughtered yesterday by the jihadist was not permitted to have ammo in his rifle?  Same English breed of liberal stupidity.  

You mean just like the Old Guard soldiers at the Tomb of the Unknown at Arlington?

Just like some of our Marines in Lebanon, in 1983.

May they rest in peace.

They lost their lives, because of our elected officials' stupidity.

That's not exactly the same thing, at all.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:03:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Practically you are a disarmed people. Lets not pretend otherwise. Yes with a lot of red tape you can own some simple firearms. You can't have modern defensive rifles, nor can you carry handguns or even generally possess them in the home.

What a way to think.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:22:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What if I told you I never get pulled over?

Also the professional courtesy one officer might extend to another for speeding isn't usually limited to just LEO's. Often times firefighter, ER nurses, EMT's, military, and a few others are all given a bit of leeway (depending on the LEO) when it comes to traffic.

So other than maybe getting out of a speeding ticket I'm not sure exactly what unfair advantage I have over "regular" folks.
View Quote

Really?  You're going to tell me there isn't an instant change of tone when a cop on a fishing expedition pulls over an off-duty/retired cop?  (Assuming the motorist isn't a complete asshole or fucking the officer's wife)

Plenty of retired cops here bought pistols on their badge and never bothered applying for a permit.  Let's not forget illegal fireworks confiscations.  Absolutely zero chance those are being shot off at the officer's house, right?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:45:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Its not that simple and don't try and pretend it is. You need to be a member of a club and sign in a reasonable amount of times before they will even issue a license, that requires an investigator named a 'liason officer' will come out and inspect your home and storage requirements before you can even think of seeing the license.

The license is limited, it specifically lays out each and every caliber and type of firearm you can buy, all of which require 'good reason' which is an arbitrary term and meeting said requirement is determined by the opinion of said liaison officer.

And woe betide anyone who wants a decent amount of ammo. Its rare to see anything above 3000rds at once that you can legally hold. Plus they say you have to store it seperately from your guns and also be in a cabinet/safe.

And all of the above is for a semi auto rifle in .22LR or smaller only (Except .17HMR which they explicity said isn't OK). Or a rifle of decent caliber in single shot only.

If you want something historic such a semi auto section 7 pistol then the police define what type of locks you need to have on your doors, the locks on your windows and you must have an audible alarm.

If you want actual real guns with gas systems then they lay out that you must have an actual armory with specific thicknesses of walls etc.

Not only is it red tape, its ridiculous.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:49:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Its not that simple and don't try and pretend it is. You need to be a member of a club and sign in a reasonable amount of times before they will even issue a license, that requires an investigator named a 'liason officer' will come out and inspect your home and storage requirements before you can even think of seeing the license.

The license is limited, it specifically lays out each and every caliber and type of firearm you can buy, all of which require 'good reason' which is an arbitrary term and meeting said requirement is determined by the opinion of said liaison officer.

And woe betide anyone who wants a decent amount of ammo. Its rare to see anything above 3000rds at once that you can legally hold. Plus they say you have to store it seperately from your guns and also be in a cabinet/safe.

And all of the above is for a semi auto rifle in .22LR or smaller only (Except .17HMR which they explicity said isn't OK). Or a rifle of decent caliber in single shot only.

If you want something historic such a semi auto section 7 pistol then the police define what type of locks you need to have on your doors, the locks on your windows and you must have an audible alarm.

If you want actual real guns with gas systems then they lay out that you must have an actual armory with specific thicknesses of walls etc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are talking out of your arse.  As usual.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:51:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View Quote

All of the above is quoted from the firearms act published online.
Point out where I am wrong.
P.S. I hold an active UK RFD so I do have experience here

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:57:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't give a shit if you hold an RFD.

You are talking out of your arse elucidate.  And you know damned well you are.  You upped sticks and have been kissing US arse since you crawled your way through their immigration, and have spent every waking moment slagging off your home country at every opportunity.

Just quit it with the hyperbolic nonsense.  

I can't be arsed hauling your stupidity over the coals YET AGAIN.  

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:04:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Really?  You're going to tell me there isn't an instant change of tone when a cop on a fishing expedition pulls over an off-duty/retired cop?  (Assuming the motorist isn't a complete asshole or fucking the officer's wife)

Plenty of retired cops here bought pistols on their badge and never bothered applying for a permit.  Let's not forget illegal fireworks confiscations.  Absolutely zero chance those are being shot off at the officer's house, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What if I told you I never get pulled over?

Also the professional courtesy one officer might extend to another for speeding isn't usually limited to just LEO's. Often times firefighter, ER nurses, EMT's, military, and a few others are all given a bit of leeway (depending on the LEO) when it comes to traffic.

So other than maybe getting out of a speeding ticket I'm not sure exactly what unfair advantage I have over "regular" folks.

Again you're assuming that real life police officers are like the ones you've seen on TV. Ignoring the fact that the scenarios you used almost never take place, the truth is, that for most of us anything other than minor traffic violations gets treated the same regardless of who they are. I arrested a retired LEO for DUI for example.

As far as the gun permit thing I don't know as I live in a free state.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:12:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

You are talking out of your arse elucidate.  And you know damned well you are.  You upped sticks and have been kissing US arse since you crawled your way through their immigration, and have spent every waking moment slagging off your home country at every opportunity.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its ALL true. I went through the exact steps laid above when I had a license. I also am in a position even today to know more than you on the matter as I hold an active manufacturers license. I also hold a DUNS and a CAGE code and supply your military. I might 'just' be speaking the truth.

The US is better when it comes to gun laws and the original post I replied about was incorrect as they made out it was a matter of triviality to buy and keep guns in the UK.

Because I grew up on a council estate should I be forever indebted to the hovel I lived in as a youth or should I leave that behind as I move up in the world. Comparing my job and house in Henley to that of my job and council house in Gateshead wouldn't be met with such vitriol by you, yet its the same comparison. I went from one place with political socialist leadership and poor economic outlook to somewhere with a constitutionalist republic political leadership and excellent economic outlook for the workforce.

Just because you've only experienced one of those doesn't mean everyone else is wrong.

When even the shooting participants in the country defend the controls laid upon them, it seems like a shooting Stockholm syndrome has set in.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Its ALL true. I went through the exact steps laid above when I had a license. I also am in a position even today to know more than you on the matter as I hold an active manufacturers license. I also hold a DUNS and a CAGE code and supply your military. I might 'just' be speaking the truth.

The US is better when it comes to gun laws and the original post I replied about was incorrect as they made out it was a matter of triviality to buy and keep guns in the UK.

Because I grew up on a council estate should I be forever indebted to the hovel I lived in as a youth or should I leave that behind as I move up in the world. Comparing my job and house in Henley to that of my job and council house in Gateshead wouldn't be met with such vitriol by you, yet its the same comparison. I went from one place with political socialist leadership and poor economic outlook to somewhere with a constitutionalist republic political leadership and excellent economic outlook for the workforce.

Just because you've only experienced one of those doesn't mean everyone else is wrong.

When even the shooting participants in the country defend the controls laid upon them, it seems like a shooting Stockholm syndrome has set in.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No...you are talking out of your arse, and as I said before I don't give a damn about your RFD, DUNS or CAGE.  If anything you should know better.

Nobody is defending anything.  People are speaking from experience and you are talking out of your backside and using half truths and hyperbole.

You've had a chip on your shoulder for a while now, and I'm not sure why, nor do I care.  Just stick to the facts and we will be good.

There is enough crap on here without someone who should know better adding to it.  

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:13:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No...you are talking out of your arse, and as I said before I don't give a damn about your RFD, DUNS or CAGE.  If anything you should know better.

Nobody is defending anything.  People are speaking from experience and you are talking out of your backside and using half truths and hyperbole.

You've had a chip on your shoulder for a while now, and I'm not sure why, nor do I care.  Just stick to the facts and we will be good.

There is enough crap on here without someone who should know better adding to it.  

View Quote

Probably would help if you dispute what he said instead of bitching.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:17:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Arrested....for bullets?  

WTF is wrong with the British?  Let's arrest a guy over bullets and destroy his life over it. Yeah, that sounds sane.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:19:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

To be fair, Murica has a slightly larger population, and most "gun violence" is committed by a certain segment of the population who haven't recovered from slavery.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Switzerland has a higher per capita rate of gun ownership than the UK and less homicides involving firearms than the UK.

We have many different cultures here in the USA and many other factors come into play regarding our criminal stats.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:28:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We've been through this with him many times.  I really cannot be arsed doing it again.

It bears no relevance to the subject of the thread and just serves to pander to the whopping chip on his shoulder.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:44:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

We've been through this with him many times.  I really cannot be arsed doing it again.

It bears no relevance to the subject of the thread and just serves to pander to the whopping chip on his shoulder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah gotcha. i dont know the laws there so I don't know whos right or wrong.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:01:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No worries.  He posts some really interesting stuff at times, like the "thingummy that's not a bomb" thread.  But the regular dogpiling on UK shooting activities gets tiresome.   It's a shame he does it as he probably has a lot more to offer and is selling himself short.

Sure we have some idiosyncratic laws in the UK.  Hell, we need a "licence" to watch TV! FFS, and have experienced more than our fair share of ridiculous and politically motivated impositions which has left many of UK shooters with a bitter taste in their mouths.  Nobody knows that better than them.  But like with any legal system you can work within the law and Uk shooters make the best of the situation we have win those laws. It's more a test of the resilience of UK shooters to pursue their shooting despite the restrictions.

We certainly aren't the only country with licensing and restrictions of firearms. The US is fairly unique in terms of the position you guys are in with firearms law in the developed world.  The UK just gets a lot of attention in the US because of our history together as nations and we share a common language, making it easier for lazy reporting to cut and past soundbites and media spin to fit the narrative.

In terms of what happened with the Royal Protection officer, I suspect Loach and Icarus have probably covered it.  They certainly have more experience in that field than I do, but I do think that there is probably more to the story than we are are seeing in the media.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top