Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:52:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:58:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know you, I spent 24 years in and a lot of people I know, don't know that...It's my business, not theirs, or yours.
View Quote

Thanks for the insight there.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:59:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The best job in the military is EOD!
View Quote

Yep. Nobody is better at making you sit on a UXO for 6 hours.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:00:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I got real good at playing spades and preparing tasty MRE's with hot cheese, Tabasco sauce, and smashed crackers.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:12:03 AM EDT
[#5]

I signed up so that I could take advantage of that 10% discount at Home Depot.

I'm going to buy some paint tomorrow.  Cha-ching baby!

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:12:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I got real good at playing spades and preparing tasty MRE's with hot cheese, Tabasco sauce, and smashed crackers.
View Quote

Mortarman?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:16:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I wanted to be door gunner on a space shuttle but alas I had to settle for submarine screen door repairman.
View Quote

Is this you?

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:30:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I joined the Marines and did the typical stuff, boot camp, Infantry training.  My first deployment... I don't really talk about.  

The most fulfilling part though, was towards the end of my time in.  I was given a second chance and was put in charge of training a platoon that had become broken by toxic leadership.
At first it was tough, Taking them through PT and training, they even tried to get one of the Marines to intimidate me.  But, even though he was a larger man, "Swede" was no match for my years of training.  Eventually they started to click, and start living by the Esprit De Corps the Marines are known for which worked out well, because in short time, we were to be deployed.

We helocast and swam to the shore, before long we were victorious on a small Island no one talks about much anymore, Grenada.
View Quote

I heard the major was a walking clusterfuck as an infantry officer
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:36:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Baby explosion:

Exploding robot that costs more than most houses (where I come from, anyway):
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:42:08 AM EDT
[#10]
After 21 years in aircraft maintenance (USAF), I'll tell you one thing.  Don't do this job.  It's thankless, the hours suck, and the entire AF works against you every chance they get.  Be a loadmaster or boomer.  Ridiculously easy jobs a monkey could do, and you'll get treated like a prima donna zipper suited sun god, instead of like shit.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:44:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
prima donna zipper suited sun god
View Quote

This made my night.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:54:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Mortarman?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mortarman?

M1A1 tank mechanic.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:13:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So I only made it through half the first page before deciding to post.

I am a Seabee. Bastard redheaded step children of the Navy, but thats what we are.
I am a CM, Construction Mechanic. We work on all manner of mechanical stuff. From single cylinder gas engines on a lawn mower to D8 and D9 Bulldozers. Hydraulics and electric, generators and cranes. Thats the job. It is very broad. That is also the plus. You will learn all manner of how to be a mech. If you apply yourself. We also shoot M2s and 240Bs and M16s and MK19s.

The downside is that you will be forced to learn the 3M system and how it has basically neutered most of the reason seabees were awesome back in the day.

The rest of the Seabees are almost in the same boat. Same broad spectrum job but limited by modern maintenance and operating procedures. Additionally, with the wars slowing down, the Seabees are downsizing so advancement isnt very quick the last few years.

Seabee Rates:
SW, Steel worker (Welder)
EO, Equipment operator (Breaker of equipment the CMs fix)
BU, Builder (Builds things, mostly out of wood but not exclusively)
CE, Construction Electrician (Electrician)
UT, Utilitiesman (Plumber)
EA, Engineering Aid (Does a lot of office work but is designed around surveying and planning building projects)
CM, (See above)
View Quote

I'm hard pressed to think of many rates that can avoid the 3M system entirely. Maybe RP... they don't have to worry about pub changes either.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:17:03 AM EDT
[#14]
I checked the soft serve machines in the DFAC every day to make sure they were still working. Sometimes I checked them at night if they left the doors unlocked. Did you know a canteen cup makes a great waffle cone substitute?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:13:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Whatever service you decide upon, remember this universal truth in training:
YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE A STICK.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:29:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why sit on it for hours?

Oh yeah, and you get to meet the friendly locals, and take cool pics with them!!

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:11:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I joined because my recruiter said I could fuck Miss USA

J/K
View Quote

Engagement skills indeed.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:18:55 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

After 21 years in aircraft maintenance (USAF), I'll tell you one thing.  Don't do this job.  It's thankless, the hours suck, and the entire AF works against you every chance they get.  Be a loadmaster or boomer.  Ridiculously easy jobs a monkey could do, and you'll get treated like a prima donna zipper suited sun god, instead of like shit.
View Quote

Aircraft maintenance (Army) is the same way.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:26:28 AM EDT
[#19]
I started out as a private but soon ranked up through Comander.  My kill percentage is 1.85:1  I speak spanish, russian, and british now. I can call in Predator missles, operate an AC-130, and detonate and EMP.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:28:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Shadow Company.

Mercury switches.

Mr. Joshua.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:33:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Head cook
Chief Bottle Washer
Professional Coffee Maker and Drinker

other than that just stood around looking good

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:11:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yes.  My father is retired Navy, my brother is Active Navy.  I have been to his ship and spoken with people he knows about what they do, and what they're trained to do vs really do and ect and figured I would send the question out into the world to get a more broad response.

But, I'm not real familiar with anything outside of Navy (but, both Grandfathers were Army)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, have you already talked to a Navy recruiter?

Took ASVAB today and then spent the better part of the afternoon there with documents and paperwork, medical waiver for a broken clavicle and other fun paperwork.

This was a serious question?

Avionics Technician (I-Level)
Intruders, Prowlers, Hawkeyes, Tomcats

Yes.  My father is retired Navy, my brother is Active Navy.  I have been to his ship and spoken with people he knows about what they do, and what they're trained to do vs really do and ect and figured I would send the question out into the world to get a more broad response.

But, I'm not real familiar with anything outside of Navy (but, both Grandfathers were Army)

Sounds like you have the Navy covered. I was an Electronics Tech (communications) on a guided missile cruiser. Avg'd 10 mos at sea. Most people think of deployments but there's a lot of time underway for workups, weapons onload, exercises, etc.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:33:15 AM EDT
[#23]
http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/uploads//monthly_02_2010/post-3043-1265315450.jpg
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:35:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Really? That was the worst, what about getting your squad mate killed in that live fire exercise?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I joined but only because it was quicker path to citizenship.  I joined up with one of my former high school teachers in his Roughneck's platoon.  Ain't gonna lie, it wasn't easy and wasn't quite what I had expected.  The worst was losing my girl to the pretty boy flight officer.

Really? That was the worst, what about getting your squad mate killed in that live fire exercise?

in
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:51:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I joined the Marines and did the typical stuff, boot camp, Infantry training.  My first deployment... I don't really talk about.  

The most fulfilling part though, was towards the end of my time in.  I was given a second chance and was put in charge of training a platoon that had become broken by toxic leadership.
At first it was tough, Taking them through PT and training, they even tried to get one of the Marines to intimidate me.  But, even though he was a larger man, "Swede" was no match for my years of training.  Eventually they started to click, and start living by the Esprit De Corps the Marines are known for which worked out well, because in short time, we were to be deployed.

We helocast and swam to the shore, before long we were victorious on a small Island no one talks about much anymore, Grenada.
View Quote

A heartbreaking story.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:55:46 AM EDT
[#26]
I was a brig chaser for awhile. Took a kid to Portsmouth brig, got him laid before dropping him off there. Taught him some semaphore. B-Y B-Y  EOM.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:57:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I joined because my recruiter said I could fuck Miss USA

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL965/4056977/23525913/396948247.jpg

J/K
View Quote

Master Jump wings: check!  Pathfinder Badge: check!

Yup, that poor girl was pregnant before he walked away....

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:26:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Former ET2 here.  I was a 1502 CATCC Radar Tech.  I worked on the SPN-43B (later C) and the SPN-41.  The Navy was about like anything else in life, it had good points and bad points. Orlando wasn't too bad,  I despised Great Mistakes.  Millington was pretty good.  Norfolk was Ok.  I spent 4 1/2 years on the USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71).  2 deployments (back when they were 6 months, I hear they are 9 months now), and I have no idea how many shorter stints running around the Atlantic, including an exciting one where the USS Leyte Gulf turned us into a hood ornament.    After I got out I went to work for Thales ATM working on their MSSR and ILS systems (started testing boards and worked up to system integration testing and field installs.)  The I went to work as a contractor for the FAA doing equipment installs and eventually Engineering on installs.  I now work for the FAA as a Communications Tech at the Kansas City Enroute Center (does the same thing as the one in Chicago that got burned by the contractor.)  Not bad for a guy with no College.  And none of it would be possible without the Navy.  My recommendation would be to be sure about what you want to do.  And DO NOT go in undesignated.  Get your school in writing in your contract.  Whatever job you choose, take a look at how useful it would be in the civillian world.  Some jobs don't translate well.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:32:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Former ET2 here. . Orlando wasn't too bad,  I despised Great Mistakes.
View Quote

Ahhhh...I remember Orlando...went to Nuke school there...class 8201.  Had some wild times at the PO club....as well as the ladies barracks across from ours...LOL

shame they bulldozed the base...lots of good times.

Did you go the FoxHole strip joint off base?

PS...ET School in Great Mistakes as well....damn that is a cold place in the winter time.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:52:13 AM EDT
[#30]
I spent lots of time sitting under a pine tree mixing various MRE components into something remotely edible.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Ahhhh...I remember Orlando...went to Nuke school there...class 8201.  Had some wild times at the PO club....as well as the ladies barracks across from ours...LOL

PS...ET School in Great Mistakes as well....damn that is a cold place in the winter time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Former ET2 here. . Orlando wasn't too bad,  I despised Great Mistakes.

I did Boot and BEE in Orlando. Oct '92- May '93.   Is that the name of that place?  I honestly couldn't remember the name!    I went there a few times.  Young, dumb, and bored.  We had females on the floor below ours in the barracks.  I can neither confirm no deny any trips to parts of the barracks I didn't live in.  

I spent May '93-Jan '94 at Great Mistakes.  I was living in the old barracks by the galley so there was no AC in the summer and the winter I was there it hit -30 with a wind chill of -80. Oh and 16" of snow on the ground.  One of the worst winters I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:36:54 AM EDT
[#32]
I mopped a lot of floors and picked up lots of Cigarette butts.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:43:33 AM EDT
[#33]
I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:48:25 AM EDT
[#34]
I was assigned to a crack commando unit and was sent to prison by a military court for a crime I didn't commit. I promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:59:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I was assigned to a crack commando unit and was sent to prison by a military court for a crime I didn't commit. I promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground.
View Quote

I have a problem... no one else can help... if I can find you... maybe I can hire... slick556.

That sounds like a solid plan. Would you say it has come together?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:07:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I have a problem... no one else can help... if I can find you... maybe I can hire... slick556.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not until we bust our pilot out of the VA ward.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:16:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:36:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, have you already talked to a Navy recruiter?

Took ASVAB today and then spent the better part of the afternoon there with documents and paperwork, medical waiver for a broken clavicle and other fun paperwork.

This was a serious question?

Avionics Technician (I-Level)
Intruders, Prowlers, Hawkeyes, Tomcats

No matter the branch or job, there will be things you like, things you don't like, more paperwork/queep and bullshit training then you'd imagined, good friends, and total assholes. And that's about as complete an answer as anybody will be able to give.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:33:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:34:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I started out as a private but soon ranked up through Comander.  My kill percentage is 1.85:1  I speak spanish, russian, and british now. I can call in Predator missles, operate an AC-130, and detonate and EMP.
View Quote

My son went the exact same route. He's 14.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#41]

I was just in it for the green eggs out of the mermite cans.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:41:43 PM EDT
[#42]
11bahhhhhhhhggggg....
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:50:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
They said I would be joining the smartest branch of the military and do cool stuff with computers or jet engines, making it so anyone would trip on themselves to hire me. I started out cleaning airplane toilets and ended it telling people to clean aircraft toilets... But hey I got to live off everyone else's taxes like any good member of the FSA. Now I'm out and can get a job but working is for suckers... I'm going on welfare and EBT!
View Quote

Man that whole "color blind" thing really fucked your career up didnt it!
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:30:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

My experience was with a bunch of friends and our wives... We were the sober ones and it was the wives' idea.
Grandma banana was pissed nobody would get up on stage (not even the drunk Marines surprisingly) so she ended the show after dropping bananas and dispensing change,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Joined the USMC in 1977 with a guaranteed MOS in the Aviation Maintenence field (6XXX). Somehow, through a trick of MOS-reclassification I wound up as a Tactical Radar Operator (7234) (needs of the service and all that).

The best time I ever had was the year (1980) I spent in Okinawa. Hot Japanese girlfriend, lotsa sun, going out to the city of Naha with her almost every night. It was awesone.

So you've been to Kokusai Street, eh?  

Interestingly, for as much as the Japanese smoke, sometime in 08-09 they ended up banning smoking out on Kokusai and would ticket people for it.  You could still smoke in the clubs and everywhere else, just not on the street.  

After that, I just took my talents to the Banana Show, Deja Vu and Soapy Land.

that shit is PTSD inducing.

You have no fucking idea.  Imagine this:

It's your second week on island, your sponsor has already introduced you to all of their friends (your peers), and they want to take you out Gate 2 for a good Saturday evening of drinking.  On your way out, they say, "Oh, you've got to experience it at least once."  So you go.  While in there, you see your sponsor whisper to Grandma Banana before the show, as he looks and points at you with a smile.

Then you get dragged on stage.....and she tries to pull out your dick in front of 20 of your newest friends and co workers.  After declining her offer, she moves onto giving you the consolation prize of fresh Banana droppings on your shirt as she squats over you.  Shirt now stained, and friends finally catching their breath, you now make on with the rest of your night out on Gate 2 street with Banana Jizz stains on your clothes so that you'll never forget.

My experience was with a bunch of friends and our wives... We were the sober ones and it was the wives' idea.
Grandma banana was pissed nobody would get up on stage (not even the drunk Marines surprisingly) so she ended the show after dropping bananas and dispensing change,

I always said, everyone goes exactly twice.  

Once when they're tricked into it as a new person, then again when they trick a new person into going.  That's it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:39:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Never ever envied maintainers.  

"Yep, going back on 12's again.  Just got off of them last week.  At least they're moving me to mid's so I'll be left alone."

I don't even know what the loadmasters that I knew did everyday.  If they weren't going TDY somewhere, it was like they were always at home.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:45:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I was a brig chaser for awhile. Took a kid to Portsmouth brig, got him laid before dropping him off there. Taught him some semaphore. B-Y B-Y  EOM.  
View Quote

I was stationed with the nephew of the guy that wrote the novel which was later turned into that movie.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Former ET2 here.  I was a 1502 CATCC Radar Tech.  I worked on the SPN-43B (later C) and the SPN-41.  The Navy was about like anything else in life, it had good points and bad points. Orlando wasn't too bad,  I despised Great Mistakes.  Millington was pretty good.  Norfolk was Ok.  I spent 4 1/2 years on the USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71).  2 deployments (back when they were 6 months, I hear they are 9 months now), and I have no idea how many shorter stints running around the Atlantic, including an exciting one where the USS Leyte Gulf turned us into a hood ornament.    After I got out I went to work for Thales ATM working on their MSSR and ILS systems (started testing boards and worked up to system integration testing and field installs.)  The I went to work as a contractor for the FAA doing equipment installs and eventually Engineering on installs.  I now work for the FAA as a Communications Tech at the Kansas City Enroute Center (does the same thing as the one in Chicago that got burned by the contractor.)  Not bad for a guy with no College.  And none of it would be possible without the Navy.  My recommendation would be to be sure about what you want to do.  And DO NOT go in undesignated.  Get your school in writing in your contract.  Whatever job you choose, take a look at how useful it would be in the civillian world.  Some jobs don't translate well.  Good luck!
View Quote

Thanks a bunch!   Great reply
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:25:18 PM EDT
[#48]
We go in. Got to infiltrate this chateau being used for r & r, disrupt the chain of command. First Jiminez dies on the insertion in. We managed to infiltrate the chateau, Wladislaw and Reisman pose as enemy officers. Then Maggot goes berserk and gives our position away. Jefferson has to kill Maggot, put that mad dog down.

The Major's breathing down our backs. "Do the job." Major Riesman, born with a gun in his hand.

You don't know man, you weren't there.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:01:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
including an exciting one where the USS Leyte Gulf turned us into a hood ornament.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
including an exciting one where the USS Leyte Gulf turned us into a hood ornament.

Ha! That happened shortly after I left the LG. It really went to hell. We were up for our 5th Battle E until the new CO. I think they ended up firing 2-3 Chengs and lost two COs (one for hitting y'all and the other for tearing up the sonodome when they ran aground off Charleston).

Quoted:

I used to have a FoxHole t-shirt.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:25:23 PM EDT
[#50]
I joined up because I hated my going nowhere job of mowing lawns during the summer and working the sand truck and plows during winter months.

Spent my time in the Army mowing grass and shoveling snow.  But I was damn good at it.

Now that I'm out. I don't mow grass anymore.

Garrison life sucks.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top