BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:13:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And theeeeerrreeee's the problem.  They do.  Soooooo, maybe drive a bit smarter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whenever you decide to encroach into another's lane it is 100% up to you to ensure that it can be done safely.   Not the other person.  They have every right to be anywhere in their lane, you don't.

So next time I am riding my race bike, I will stay on my side and go fast even if it is just on my side on a blind left curve because if some dummy is half in my lane, I have every right to be there and they don't and if they are half in my lane and I hit them, it will be 100% their fault.  I feel like I will live much longer as a biker now.  Thanks.

Patrick

You could do that if assholes didn't lane cheat you.

And theeeeerrreeee's the problem.  They do.  Soooooo, maybe drive a bit smarter.

How about do that while also trying to give others insight on the problems faced on the roads everyday.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:28:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

No racetracks in Israel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nobody coming from the opposite direction at track days.

The rider would still be around had he considered this option.

No racetracks in Israel.

No excuse for fucking around on public roads
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:29:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

How about do that while also trying to give others insight on the problems faced on the roads everyday.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whenever you decide to encroach into another's lane it is 100% up to you to ensure that it can be done safely.   Not the other person.  They have every right to be anywhere in their lane, you don't.

So next time I am riding my race bike, I will stay on my side and go fast even if it is just on my side on a blind left curve because if some dummy is half in my lane, I have every right to be there and they don't and if they are half in my lane and I hit them, it will be 100% their fault.  I feel like I will live much longer as a biker now.  Thanks.

Patrick

Here's my insight into problems on the road today.  When making a blind sweeping left curve, ride on the right side of the road and don't ride at an unsafe speed.   Why?  Because someone up ahead may be doing something illegal but you won't know it because your butt will be going through your head.

Patrick
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:33:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Here's my insight into problems on the road today.  When making a blind sweeping left curve, ride on the right side of the road and don't ride at an unsafe speed.   Why?  Because someone up ahead may be doing something illegal but you won't know it because your butt will be going through your head.

Patrick
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Patrick

Patrick

That's all good until somebody pulls out of their driveway on your right side.  They won't see you.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:37:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Just lay 'er down!
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:55:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I say this as someone who spent the past 4 years solely on 2 wheels:

NEVER
drive "blind" like that. Never drive faster than you can react to what
might happen. Ultimately, it's not the other guy's fault if you get
hurt/die, it's yours for driving stupid. The reason I'm here typing to
you is because (other than a good dash of good luck of course) I never did anything half so stupid as I just saw in that video (and I was
hardly a slow driver).

Car is like 15% to blame for being a bit
out of his lane, but in that situation you can't, as the rider, assume
your lane is going to be totally clear. I don't know how bad Israel is
with driving over the lines (in a lot of countries those lines are mere
suggestions), but you can't just blow through a blind curve expecting
your reaction zone to be clear of deathobstacles past your line of sight
(which might be a considerable distance past that point on such a curve
and at such speeds).

So, he got unlucky, but drive like that
enough and you're going to roll those snake eyes eventually. Mortality's
a stats game after all.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:25:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

NEVER drive "blind" like that. Never drive faster than you can react to what might happen. Ultimately, it's not the other guy's fault if you get hurt/die, it's yours for driving stupid. The reason I'm here typing to you is because (other than a good dash of good luck of course) I never did anything half so stupid as I just saw in that video (and I was hardly a slow driver).

Car is like 15% to blame for being a bit out of his lane, but in that situation you can't, as the rider, assume your lane is going to be totally clear. I don't know how bad Israel is with driving over the lines (in a lot of countries those lines are mere suggestions), but you can't just blow through a blind curve expecting your reaction zone to be clear of deathobstacles past your line of sight (which might be a considerable distance past that point on such a curve and at such speeds).

So, he got unlucky, but drive like that enough and you're going to roll those snake eyes eventually. Mortality's a stats game after all.
View Quote

That's the disagreement above.  You're talking mortality and the lawyer types are talking morality.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:17:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's the disagreement above.  You'retalking mortality and the lawyer typed are talking morality.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NEVER drive "blind" like that. Never drive faster than you can react to what might happen. Ultimately, it's not the other guy's fault if you get hurt/die, it's yours for driving stupid. The reason I'm here typing to you is because (other than a good dash of good luck of course) I never did anything half so stupid as I just saw in that video (and I was hardly a slow driver).

Car is like 15% to blame for being a bit out of his lane, but in that situation you can't, as the rider, assume your lane is going to be totally clear. I don't know how bad Israel is with driving over the lines (in a lot of countries those lines are mere suggestions), but you can't just blow through a blind curve expecting your reaction zone to be clear of deathobstacles past your line of sight (which might be a considerable distance past that point on such a curve and at such speeds).

So, he got unlucky, but drive like that enough and you're going to roll those snake eyes eventually. Mortality's a stats game after all.

That's the disagreement above.  You'retalking mortality and the lawyer typed are talking morality.

On a bike, mortality must come before morality.  Very good.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:20:57 AM EDT
[#9]
That biker also target fixated on that car. Happens all the time.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:22:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:28:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Car was in his lane. He tried to straighten up but bikes being bikes... Still when the collision happened he was in his lane.

Car driver was the offender here and should be punished. Still, rider is dead and he is the one who paid the price.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:40:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Car was in his lane. He tried to straighten up but bikes being bikes... Still when the collision happened he was in his lane.

Car driver was the offender here and should be punished. Still, rider is dead and he is the one who paid the price.
View Quote

Car couldn't possibly have been giving a wide berth to all the pedestrians and parked bikes on the roadside.  Nope.

Perfect storm of bad decisions.  Seems to me that everyone got what they paid for.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:43:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

You say that like screaming around the corner at a speed where it's impossible to react isn't an offense.  See where your problem is?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:54:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Motorcyclist comes down the road a few seconds earlier or later and the other vehicle isn't there, intriguing how the timing of all involved results in the accident, not just this one, but all accidents, and a bad choice by one or more of the actors.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:09:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Was sqid.

Now Sushi.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:37:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

As has been stated in the thread already ......... This, big time.

The bike had an out to the right if he chose to steer the bike.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:54:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Target fixation is a bitch to overcome.  Got to prevent it, and that's hard to train.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:34:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Target fixation is a bitch to overcome.  Got to prevent it, and that's hard to train.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For sure, very difficult to avoid that 'lock up' that is the product of panic and fear.

As far as training, I can say it is a fascinating phenomena as you learn to maintain focus through the turn even when things get dicey.

The bike will turn. The thing stopping it from doing so is usually not on the motorcycle*, it's in between your ears.

*(unless you have totally screwed the pooch. Then you're on your own.)
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:38:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Ouch
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:42:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Some of you a-holes will argue about everything. WTF?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:49:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You're making blanket statements.  I generally think blanket statements are a bad idea because they're wrong so often. Just as you are in this case.

One, if he'd have left 45 seconds earlier and was traveling the speed limit, he would have had the reaction time to avoid the car that was rapidly moving back over into it's own lane. We know that at the point of impact, the rear tire of the car was on the line, and the car was at an angle. The only way for that to work, is for the front of the car to be back in it's own lane at the point of impact. The pictures demonstrate this to be the case.

As far as always being the fault of the person in the other lane, that's not true either. Leeway is given in cases of people avoiding hazards.   Since we started billing for MVAs, we get lawyers arguing about the billing due to fault, and the judge's rulings come back to us real often.  I've seen several judges call MVAs acts of God that involved someone being over a line due to avoiding a hazard, like people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You're making blanket statements.  I generally think blanket statements are a bad idea because they're wrong so often. Just as you are in this case.

One, if he'd have left 45 seconds earlier and was traveling the speed limit, he would have had the reaction time to avoid the car that was rapidly moving back over into it's own lane. We know that at the point of impact, the rear tire of the car was on the line, and the car was at an angle. The only way for that to work, is for the front of the car to be back in it's own lane at the point of impact. The pictures demonstrate this to be the case.

As far as always being the fault of the person in the other lane, that's not true either. Leeway is given in cases of people avoiding hazards.   Since we started billing for MVAs, we get lawyers arguing about the billing due to fault, and the judge's rulings come back to us real often.  I've seen several judges call MVAs acts of God that involved someone being over a line due to avoiding a hazard, like people.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes the car went over the line, giving the motorcycles and people at the side of the road room - perfectly predictable.  Avoiding road hazards or things is part of driving.  It appeared safe to do so when the car was giving them room.

The motorcycle was going way way way too fast.  Had it been going the speed limit or a reasonable speed, the car and bike would have easily avoided each other.

The bikes speed kept him from being able to get out of the way of the vehicle in his lane. His speed did not cause the accident. The cause of the accident was the car in the bikes lane.
So your saying that if the car wasn't in the bikes lane then the bike would have still struck the car? Yeah I didn't think so. The primary cause of the accident was a vehicle crossing into oncoming traffic. The bikes speed was a contributing factory due to his speed didn't allow him an out. The bike did not cause the accident.

Watched it again.  Some say target fixation, I think he was just going way too damn fast to do anything about it.  Also darn near centerline of the road through the turn.  I don't see the bike & rider diving forward on the brake, no veer to the the right, nothing.

He was just about on the line before, and looks like on the line at the time of the collision.  (He was headed toward oncoming lane).  He was riding at a speed way too close to his peak ability to navigate the turn assuming that it's clear.  Also, as Dan_Gray posted as well there are reasons a car might go outside the lane.  Car was moving inside, had he been going slower he could have moved outside to his right he would have been fine.  He was coming out of a turn, going outside shouldn't have been a problem.

On a motorcycle, on public roads, you can't ride like that if you want to live.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I think that as soon as the rider finished (apexed) the turn, he started looking at his friends on the shoulder of the road, and stopped concentrating on where his bike was going. All it would have taken was a nudge with his right hand on the bars and he would have been in the center of his lane and clear of the car.  When it comes to speed, digital photography can be deceiving;, but the wreckage of the vehicles is a good indicator.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:51:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

For sure, very difficult to avoid that 'lock up' that is the product of panic and fear.

As far as training, I can say it is a fascinating phenomena as you learn to maintain focus through the turn even when things get dicey.

The bike will turn. The thing stopping it from doing so is usually not on the motorcycle*, it's in between your ears.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's one of the few things I think video games really help train.  Racing sims especially.   You get used to zipping around obstacles without dying when you fuck up.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:06:31 PM EDT
[#24]
I think off-road riding where you are constantly avoiding things you can't ride over is a good trainer for real world reactions to unexpected obstacles.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:27:11 PM EDT
[#25]
What would you people be saying if the car stayed entirely in its lane, not giving any space to the bikes parked on the side of the road, saw the bike and then swerved right hitting and killing someone standing there watching the boy racer?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:28:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Hey bro, I'm gonna take up half your lane and if you hit me doing 1mph more than the speed limit, I am going to say it was your fault....... GD response .
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:10:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What would you people be saying if the car stayed entirely in its lane, not giving any space to the bikes parked on the side of the road, saw the bike and then swerved right hitting and killing someone standing there watching the boy racer?
View Quote

Then it def would have been the car's fault.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:21:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Fault doesn't matter when you're dead.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:35:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

On the water we call it the "Rule of Gross Tonnage".  

It's not an official part of the navigation rules, but it's real as fuck.

In layman's terms it's pretty simple.  Stay the fuck out of the bigger boat's way.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:34:15 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

In layman's terms it's pretty simple.  Stay the fuck out of the bigger boat's way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly, an entire volume has been written on this subject.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:37:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've often posted here about the dangers of staying beside or behind an 18 wheeler, in threads about blown 18 wheeler tires. It never fails, a couple of tards will say "if that shit happens, i'll just fucking sue you".  How're they gonna sue me if they're dead?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:39:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I've often posted here about the dangers of staying beside or behind an 18 wheeler, in threads about blown 18 wheeler tires. It never fails, a couple of tards will say "if that shit happens, i'll just fucking sue you".  How're they gonna sue me if they're dead?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly!  little chunks of giblets can't sue.

Busted tires (road gators) are a nasty surprise.  That's one of the biggest reasons I give cars & trucks a wide berth.

It doesn't take much for a car to flip one of those things up into the air and right into your personal space.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:58:39 PM EDT
[#33]
I am a member of the "Over the bars club"  and not nailed by a guy in a van back in 1982.
What looked like an instant to onlooker seemed like slow motion and a eternity to me. The van driver got cited for failure to yield and got a ticket. I got three weeks in the hospital , many broken bones , a few surgeries and skin grafts.
I slowed down to around 48 MPH before impact and that's like stepping out of a 4 story building and hitting the ground. Not good....

Please watch out for motorcycles and the ones driving like dicks deserve to get banged up and hopefully not hurt anyone except themselves.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:03:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bikes can do no wrong....I get it now.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:05:15 PM EDT
[#35]
I cannot believe that everyone thinks it's ok the driver was in the wrong lane heading into a blind corner.

On what planet is that ok?

Giving room to pedestrians was a good decision for the car.

Yeah I totally agree, next time I am on a blind corner I will simply drift into the opposing lane when I see anything within 10' of the highway.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:45:38 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I cannot believe that everyone thinks it's ok the driver was in the wrong lane heading into a blind corner.

Yeah I totally agree, next time I am on a blind corner I will simply drift into the opposing lane when I see anything within 10' of the highway.
View Quote
The car was not in, or near the corner, it was on a straightaway. Did you not watch the video?

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:03:35 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Watched it again.  Some say target fixation, I think he was just going way too damn fast to do anything about it.  Also darn near centerline of the road through the turn.  I don't see the bike & rider diving forward on the brake, no veer to the the right, nothing.

He was just about on the line before, and looks like on the line at the time of the collision.  (He was headed toward oncoming lane).  He was riding at a speed way too close to his peak ability to navigate the turn assuming that it's clear.  Also, as Dan_Gray posted as well there are reasons a car might go outside the lane.  Car was moving inside, had he been going slower he could have moved outside to his right he would have been fine.  He was coming out of a turn, going outside shouldn't have been a problem.

On a motorcycle, on public roads, you can't ride like that if you want to live.
View Quote
I still say target fixation. When they impacted, he had at least 3/4 of his lane open, which is like 6+ bike widths, way more than enough room. He was hard on the brakes - he started applying them before he was upright. His front fender is nearly obscured by his front fairing the entire video.

His line through the corner wasn't bad, considering. Looks like his wheels were near center of his lane and his head still inside his lane. I think he caught sight of the car in his lane, grabbed a handful of brake, forgot about steering and braked right into the car.

Ironically, I think if he were less experienced, he probably would have washed out the front end by grabbing too much brake while still leaned over, and may have avoided impact with the car.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:41:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

That car could've been perfectly legally passing another vehicle right where the impact happened.  It's a dashed white line.  The only reason the fact that it's a blind corner mattered is because the dumbfuck on the motorcycle was going too fast to avoid ANY obstacle in his lane, whether it be a car passing another car, a car stopped to turn left in his lane, a deer, or any other random thing.  On what planet is it OK to go so so much over the speed limit around a blind corner that you have absolutely no chance to avoid an obstacle that is so far away from the corner that the center-line is still not even solid and still allows passing?  It might seem like it's close to that corner, but the only thing that makes it seem like that from the video is the excessive speed of the guy on the motorcycle.  If it was close to the corner there would be a solid white line (like there is farther down the road, if you look)
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:54:46 PM EDT
[#39]
If you drag knees in turns blindly, you are asking for trouble. You should never ride close to your limits on public roads. Even with no cars on the road, a deer or racoon could cross the road any time and the rider would have zero margin to react. The car tried to give room to the bikers parked on the side, so it is hard to blame it for the accident even if it did cross the line.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:57:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

100+mph bet is closer to 60 mph, and you ask if I'm on crack?
Don't know why I'm going to waste time with you but the cause of the accident was a vehicle traveling in the wrong lane. The bikes speed was excessive but was not the cause of the accident.
If the car had been in its lane the accident wouldn't have happened. Pretty damn simple, well it should be.
View Quote

Your username is, fitting.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:08:55 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

If you drag knees in turns blindly, you are asking for trouble. You should never ride close to your limits on public roads. Even with no cars on the road, a deer or racoon could cross the road any time and the rider would have zero margin to react. The car tried to give room to the bikers parked on the side, so it is hard to blame it for the accident even if it did cross the line.
View Quote
Meh. I have dragged a knee in thousands of turns while riding in my boredom zone, dodging deer, possum, children, etc. Having a knee down is not even close to the limit for anyone that knows what they are doing.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:15:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That car could've been perfectly legally passing another vehicle right where the impact happened.  It's a dashed white line.  The only reason the fact that it's a blind corner mattered is because the dumbfuck on the motorcycle was going too fast to avoid ANY obstacle in his lane, whether it be a car passing another car, a car stopped to turn left in his lane, a deer, or any other random thing.  On what planet is it OK to go so so much over the speed limit around a blind corner that you have absolutely no chance to avoid an obstacle that is so far away from the corner that the center-line is still not even solid and still allows passing?  It might seem like it's close to that corner, but the only thing that makes it seem like that from the video is the excessive speed of the guy on the motorcycle.  If it was close to the corner there would be a solid white line (like there is farther down the road, if you look)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NO, it would never ever ever of been perfectly legal.  The car did not yield to oncoming traffic.  The car did not wait until it was safe to do so.

IF the bike was speeding, the he may assume partial fault, but it would very rarely be 100% the motorcycles fault.  And in this case, no way.  His speed wS not so excessive to be reckless.  You people are trying to blame the motorcycle for poor reaction.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:22:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Rider was almost at center of the lane, driver was in the riders lane. They should of had cones or someone around the bend in case a car or truck took the turn and hogged the lanes. Driver is at fault, but it's a public road.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:32:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

NO, it would never ever ever of been perfectly legal.  The car did not yield to oncoming traffic.  The car did not wait until it was safe to do so.

IF the bike was speeding, the he may assume partial fault, but it would very rarely be 100% the motorcycles fault.  And in this case, no way.  His speed wS not so excessive to be reckless.  You people are trying to blame the motorcycle for poor reaction.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The excessive speed of the motorcyclist is the only reason the car had no chance to react and 'yield to oncoming traffic'. Incidentally, it's also why the motorcyclist himself had no time to react and go around the car on the right side, where there was plenty of room for the bike to avoid hitting the car.  The point is that if the motorcycle had been moving at a reasonable speed to navigate that turn, the car would have had time to move - and the motorcyclist would have had time to react and go around the car to the right side where there was plenty of room.  The road markings make it clear that assuming people are moving at a reasonable speed, both parties should have time to react and avoid an accident given someone coming around the corner while the car was passing in the dashed-white-line area.  In fact, the car is back in it's own lane by the time they reach the solid white line, indicating they were doing exactly what you would expect them to do in that spot on the road.  In fact, the car is entirely back into their lane before the road markings show a solid white line if you look carefully at the video.

However,  the lack of reaction ability from either the motorcyclist OR the car shows that the speed of the motorcycle made it impossible for either party to react - even given that the car was in a place that was perfectly normal to be when passing or giving wide berth to people on the side of the road.  If you drive too fast around blind corners then you will end up like this motorcyclist because you are eliminating any reaction time for both yourself and for anybody on the far side of the blind corner you are speeding around.  

This is why speed limits exist and why they are posted lower on corners than on straight stretches.  This is why you don't speed around blind corners on public roads; the rules of the road and the markings telling other drivers what to do ASSUME that there isn't some dumbass speeding excessively around a blind corner, which is generally a reasonable assumption as this would be (a) suicidal and (b) illegal given the posted speed limits and advisories.  If your actions cause the rules of the road to be broken, you are causing a situation where someone else who is obeying those rules could kill you by 'not yielding on oncoming traffic' as you so eloquently put it - because you eliminated the chance for them to do so before you hit them head on due to your excessive speed.  You also eliminate your own ability to react and go around them in the exceptionally large space still available in your lane.  That guy was 'riding on the line' rather than 'driving on the road'.  Riding on the line is something you do on a race track. Driving on the road is something you do... on a public road.  He died because he didn't know the difference (or care about the difference).

In this corner, the guy in the video was the white rider.  Fine on a race track. Very Very Bad on a public road. Combined with his excessive speed, fatal in this case.

There are entire books written about riding fast BUT safely on public roads. Anyone who thinks what this guy was doing was a normal and good idea should go read one or two before they get themselves killed.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:41:11 PM EDT
[#45]
They need spotters w/radios and flags to watch each corner.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:41:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I know two people who were killed on motorcycles.

One was a distant relative who was sucked under an 18 wheel tractor trailer on the highway about ten years ago.  Wasn't much left of him.

Be careful on those things.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:37:52 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I think that as soon as the rider finished (apexed) the turn, he started looking at his friends on the shoulder of the road, and stopped concentrating on where his bike was going. All it would have taken was a nudge with his right hand on the bars and he would have been in the center of his lane and clear of the car.  When it comes to speed, digital photography can be deceiving;, but the wreckage of the vehicles is a good indicator.
View Quote

The "apex" is NOT the end of the turn.  It is approximately near the middle of the average turn.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:03:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Driving down the center line on a bike while going through curves is fucking stupid.

Heading into the oncoming lane in a car to clear a bunch of people on the side of the road on a curve is also pretty fucking stupid.

The only difference I see here is that one person was fucking around for a camera and the other wasn't.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:00:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Driving down the center line on a bike while going through curves is fucking stupid.

Heading into the oncoming lane in a car to clear a bunch of people on the side of the road on a curve is also pretty fucking stupid.

The only difference I see here is that one person was fucking around for a camera and the other wasn't.
View Quote

The car wasn't 'on a curve'.  It was before the curve, dashed white line.  The motorcyclist came around the curve and into the straightaway and covered the distance to the car on the dashed white line extremely quickly due to his speed.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:11:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Anyone else who thinks the bike doing double the reasonable speed limit on the centerline of a twisty road wasn't the major contributing factor to the accident, please chime in so I know not to go riding with you.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top