Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2014 10:18:41 PM EDT
I'm doing my power steering pump tomorrow afternoon.  The instructions screamed at me to flush every ounce of the old fluid out (not just remove what's in the reservoir).

Is it really necessary to do this?  If so what's the best way to do it....

1)  Drain the reservoir
2)  With car off....Turn the wheel a couple times to force more fluid into the reservoir & drain
3)  Disconnect the two lines and turn the wheel a couple more times to drain the system completely
4)  Remove any fluid in the reservoir.

What am I missing?  Is this overkill and should I just drain what I can get out of the reservoir and go on with life?

Thx
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#1]
The idea is to get debris out of the system to prevent failure of the new pump . A little work now or a lot later .
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:22:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The idea is to get debris out of the system to prevent failure of the new pump . A little work now or a lot later .
View Quote

You know what I just realized that when I had the Rack and Pinion and the high pressure line replaced 2 months ago, they replaced the fluid.  So if the fluid is only 2 months old, I can probably leave what's in the lines.  Right?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:31:45 PM EDT
[#3]
It depends if it threw a bunch of metal into your fluid when it went out.  

I had metal from a bad power steering pump ruin my rack and pinion.  Granted it was whining for quite a while before I changed it, so mostly my fault.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:32:44 PM EDT
[#4]
They make aftermarket inline filters specifically for power steering systems. Not very expensive and pretty easy to install, will catch the debris left in the system and protect the whole thing.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:37:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They make aftermarket inline filters specifically for power steering systems. Not very expensive and pretty easy to install, will catch the debris left in the system and protect the whole thing.
View Quote

Do this.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:38:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Make and model my man?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:42:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Make and model my man?
View Quote

2006 Tundra with 125K miles
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:43:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do this.

http://www.rockauto.com/getimage/getimage.php?imagekey=3106713&imageurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmy.cardone.com%2FImagesftp%2F20%2F200012F-01.jpg

Yep, I am already on it.  Planning to buy it.

I assume we would have to be installed on the low pressure line.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:57:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Make sure to elevate the front wheels after the flush, refill and first time turning the steering wheel. There will be some air in the system.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:58:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I would just run 3 or 4 quarts of tranny fluid through the system and into a bucket. Make sure you get all of the debris out of the system.

I built power steering pumps for 15 years and this is how we did it in the service bay.

4 qts of transmission fluid is really cheap compared to the cost of another pump or rack.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top