Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:26:47 PM EDT
[#1]
About 20% of the people I know who have or had Kimber pistols weren't happy.

I say that as a pretty big 1911 fan.  IMO, either buy something much lower on the price scale and have it worked, or buy something much better/more expensive.

No opinion on the M&P other than that the IDPA guy's who have 9mm Pro's all loved them after a trigger job and they seemed rock solid reliable in competitions.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:28:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
M&P9 Vtac
View Quote

This.

Heard too many horror stories recently about Kimber...YMMV
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:40:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
M&P9 Vtac

This.

Quoted:
About 20% of the people I know who have or had Kimber pistols weren't happy.

I say that as a pretty big 1911 fan.  IMO, either buy something much lower on the price scale and have it worked, or buy something much better/more expensive.

No opinion on the M&P other than that the IDPA guy's who have 9mm Pro's all loved them after a trigger job and they seemed rock solid reliable in competitions.

These Kimber Warriors are not your typical Kimber... they are excellent 1911's... as already stated I have this model but its in black... the desert version is whats falling off the roster and its the same gun just a different color. 6 years zero malfunctions.... everyone who has had a Kimber Warrior has said the same... so reliability is out of the discussion and isn't a deciding factor.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#4]
What about mag capacity, or is that a wash?  Can you get the 17 round mags for the m&p before the cutoff?

Does get both work?  

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:46:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What about mag capacity, or is that a wash?  Can you get the 17 round mags for the m&p before the cutoff?

Does get both work?  

View Quote

10 round limit in CA

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:49:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

put of the two, get the S&W

View Quote

As a former Kimber owner, I will never own another. You could give me one for free and I wouldn't take it

Kimber and their so called worthless customer service sucks donkey balls

When the Kimber fails to feed  factory ball ammo, out of the box, and KIMBER customer service  tells you to put 500 rounds through the gun, before they'll take it back for remedial service, and you SINGLE FEED an entire box through the fucking  gun, you will eventually  figure out  that you can live the rest of your life, happily  not owning another KIMBER.

( KIMBER  did,eventually   take the gun in for service, and shipped it back to me, semi- functional, but  not reliable enough .)
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:54:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I like my Kimbers.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:55:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Based on looks alone.

M&P vtac
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:00:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

fixed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Kimber you will just shoot look at because it will fail and not because its a 1911 but because its a kimber
The M&P you will enjoy the hobby of replacing half of it just to make it feel like you're shooting a Kimber

fixed

this
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:02:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Why not an m&p45?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#11]
my 2005 Desert Warrior is a beast, never fails to run.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:23:54 PM EDT
[#12]
MP9 VTAC.

I put a a APEX DCAEK kit in it and it improved my accuracy quite a bit.

Target at 50 feet after Apex kit install.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:25:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
In true Anti-ARFcom fashion.

Neither
View Quote

QFT.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:36:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Of just those two, the M&P. But honestly I personally would not want either.
View Quote

dot
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:43:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Why not an m&p45?
View Quote

In CA I can buy this gun anytime... but a law passed where certain guns wont be available, the two guns listed are ones that are expiring jan 1 2015.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:21:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

In CA I can buy this gun anytime... but a law passed where certain guns wont be available, the two guns listed are ones that are expiring jan 1 2015.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why not an m&p45?

What makes these so bad?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:44:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What makes these so bad?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why not an m&p45?

What makes these so bad?

Has a different model number and is not on the Safe Handgun Roster which is just a paid list manufacturers have to pay to be on the safe handgun list. In this case however, a lot of people used a loop hole through a single shot exeption, where pistols were modified at point of sale to only fire one round at a time, therefore it is not a semiautomatic pistol. This loophole is expiring 1/1/15
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:07:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:09:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Of just those two, the M&P. But honestly I personally would not want either.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:10:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What's happening in the new year in CA? More guns added to the ban list?

View Quote

SSE going away.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:12:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
CZ SP-01
View Quote

he can buy that next year
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:14:27 AM EDT
[#22]
The answer is always 'something other than Kimber'.

I've fixed entirely too many of them by owners who were at the end of their rope, still having a gun that doesn't work even after sending it in five or six times.

The shit of it is, most of the problems were simple.. poorly cut extractors, too tight of a slide to frame fit, rough feed ramps, shitty mags.  I get annoyed when I have to clean up after a home tinkerer, I get pissed when I have to clean up after a manufacturer of a $1000 pistol.

If the stars align, and the union pukes are having a good day, Kimber can make a pretty good pistol.. but there are better 1911s out there for the same or less money.

The VTAC isn't that great either though.. the sights suck.  If you REALLY want an FDE M&P, go for it, but I'd just get a standard model and a set of Trijicon HD sights, and spend less money in the process.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:14:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

10 round limit in CA

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does get both work?  

10 round limit in CA

Only applies to give, sell, manufacture or import.

Does not apply to buy, find or possess.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:15:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

fixed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Kimber you will just shoot look at because it will fail and not because its a 1911 but because its a kimber
The M&P you will enjoy the hobby of replacing half of it just to make it feel like you're shooting a Kimber

fixed

Probably this.

I would avoid both though. Would rather have a Colt 1911.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:16:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I had a Eclipse Target II which would FTF because it had a target chamber and wouldn't feed all ammo. I picked up the Warrior II next at the recommendation of the Kimber tech guy, he said the Warrior had a slightly larger chamber to feed reliably.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My Kimber Desert Warrior is a finicky piece.

Out of the 5 Kimbers I've owned, my Desert Warrior was the only reliable one. I guess that is proof of their QC though.

I had a Eclipse Target II which would FTF because it had a target chamber and wouldn't feed all ammo. I picked up the Warrior II next at the recommendation of the Kimber tech guy, he said the Warrior had a slightly larger chamber to feed reliably.

Is that what they called it?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:52:00 AM EDT
[#26]
M&P no question. Too many issues with Kimber in general to justify dropping a grand on one.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:18:56 AM EDT
[#27]
M&P 9mm.

I have one of the VTAC's, not sure I would get it unless you specifically want a suppressor host maybe.  Even then I'm not sure it was worth it since the regular M&P's can be had very reasonably priced.

Not sure if the slide has the same finish under the paint, but I had some rust pop up and I'm not sure where it came from.  Pistol was indoors, may have gotten some sweat on it, just not sure.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:31:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Fuck Kimbers. If I had a dollar for every phone call I've had from people with broken Kimbers, I'd be able to pay my fucking phone bill.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
glock 17 FDE
View Quote

Glocks and skydiving are out until I finish paying off my student loans

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1680268_My_friends_Glock_Kaboomed_yesterday__Pretty_sure_he_is_screwed____Pic_of_gun_added__.html

I love my Kimber Warrior, and I am starting to think I could always just buy another one (black) and have it duracoated... and I could get the M&P VTAC FDE now which would be cheaper and would be my first full size 9mm (currently carry/love the 9mm shield)
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:03:48 PM EDT
[#30]
That sounds like a good plan.

I have a black warrior and it has been a good gun.  I do like the FDE warrior too, ive never thought about painting it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:09:20 PM EDT
[#31]
I own a kimber, and it sucks. (Kimber Tactical Ultra 2)

Out of the two, I'd go M&P
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:20:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
In true Anti-ARFcom fashion.

Neither
View Quote

In true ArmCom fashion:

Get both.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top