BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:09:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've posted a pic before--I have a whole collection of them.  Google it--"coon dick bone" and you will see.  They are a long-time novelty.
View Quote

Well sonofabitch!

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:09:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#3]
greasy and they taste like crap
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:16:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I was in Nausea county in Florida, and asked an old white guy about eating raccoons and he said hell no, when I catch them I take them to another part of town and sell them. The locals love to BBQ raccoons.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:17:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:18:42 PM EDT
[#6]
It's gamey. I like it though. something different. I recommend either frying it or cooking it on top of the oven in a skillet then sending it into a crockpot with red potatoes and some greenbeans. Plus, like Burger King, you get a hat with a meal.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:19:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:21:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:21:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Just make sure you're careful in cleaning/cooking it. Most raccoons carry Baylisascaris sp. which can cause death in infected humans. The eggs can withstand temps of 130+ degrees F.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:28:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Realistically, I will see more of them this deer season than deer (always do) - and they will probably eat more corn.  +I don't like them.  ++Will be hunting a some suppressed. +++Want to do some night hunting this year.  Oh, and my chickens don't like them either.

I just hate wasting meat.  So anyone actually try it?  At least it does not carry leprosy like dillo can.
View Quote

I have.  It's kind of greasy.  Didn't care for it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:30:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Coon and sweet potatoes is a common East Texas dish.

Personally, the parvo, mange, and rabies flavors keep me far, far away.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:33:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Cut them up and put them in a bucket with holes in ithe bottom over your chicken pen. Google maggot feeder. The redgoat had a great thread on it in the garden forum.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:21:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Realistically, I will see more of them this deer season than deer (always do) - and they will probably eat more corn.  +I don't like them.  ++Will be hunting a some suppressed. +++Want to do some night hunting this year.  Oh, and my chickens don't like them either.

I just hate wasting meat.  So anyone actually try it?  At least it does not carry leprosy like dillo can.
View Quote

Good if properly prepared, like possum, if it's where it can eat garbage, you need to live trap and feed vegetables for awhile to clean up the taste. wild killed, be careful about glands in hind legs, like deer, slow smoke or crockpot works well.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:40:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

A young, tender coon is good eats. It tastes sort of between a rabbit and a squirrel with lots of meat. Throw a chicken leg quarter or two in with the the coon while it boils and it makes so fantastic dumplings or gumbo.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:04:47 PM EDT
[#15]
heres my recipe

kill it
skin it
slap it in a pan
add your favorite seasoning and spices
throw it in the oven at 275f for 3 hours
take it out and let it cool 10 min
then take the pan and walk over to the trash can and dump the carcass into it
set the pan on the dinner table, and eat the pan

same recipe works for cooking coyote
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:05:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Yep.  Tried it bbq'd.  

After you clean it you have to take the glands out or it'll taste funky.  (Or so I'm told)

I still didn't like it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:49:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A guy that works for me traps them to sell to the black folks.
Have to keep the paws on, so they don't think it's a skinned cat.
View Quote

a hobo in Ogden, UT, told me that cats were better than rabbits.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:51:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

not a Texas thing...
probably not accurate but supposedly started in TN also heard it started in AR

I do know all moonshine made by Popcorn Sutton ran off the end of a coon dick coming out the pipe
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Save the penis for a toothpick.

Only in Texas.  

not a Texas thing...
probably not accurate but supposedly started in TN also heard it started in AR

I do know all moonshine made by Popcorn Sutton ran off the end of a coon dick coming out the pipe

I guess that Popcorn's shine had a little wang to it...
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:54:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Classified as an 'unclean' animal for a reason; so, no.
View Quote

I would eat it if I was starving, maybe at a game supper, but I have always associated them with garbage,
pest animals and rabies.  I do hate them, though, and love to kill them with Conibear traps.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:08:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Nope, but I seen 'em for sale...

Dang.  Photobucket down.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:15:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Pretty good out of a smoker.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:09:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

We used to sell them like the guy who works for you, when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:24:29 AM EDT
[#23]
If you have a lot of coon in your parts, you should get a trapping license and make some money selling the pelts.  Shot pelts will sell, too, but for less money.  Coon is not expected to bring good prices this year, but we have our whole lives ahead of us.

If anyone needs more info just pm me.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:34:08 AM EDT
[#24]
I ate a McRib once.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:42:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Only thing eating trash cat will get you is worms. Just bury them or use it as coyote bait if you are in an area where you can take those.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:53:55 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

thats not wasting meat bubba
View Quote
Coyotes gotta eat, too.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:57:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

you said it was good!!!
liar
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:57:33 PM EDT
[#29]
One of a very short list of animals I will not eat due to the extremely high risk of parasites. I shoot them on sight for the same reason. Did you know they have an off switch? It's right between the eyes and works quite well when hit with a .22 hornet.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:08:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm from Wyoming and my godfather had the baculum (i.e., "penis bone" to you city folk) from a grizzly bear he shot silver plated.

He used it as a swizzle stick in drinks for folks from California and the east.

It kept them from drinking too much of his booze.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only in Texas.  

I'm from Wyoming and my godfather had the baculum (i.e., "penis bone" to you city folk) from a grizzly bear he shot silver plated.

This is most excellent post.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:19:30 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

greasy and they taste like crap
View Quote

You done cooked it all wrong 'n shit....and it tastes like turkey.

Teeners, don't fail us now.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:42:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Just make sure you're careful in cleaning/cooking it. Most raccoons carry Baylisascaris sp. which can cause death in infected humans. The eggs can withstand temps of 130+ degrees F.
View Quote

I have eating a few when prepared right its ok.....buddy was cooking one...one afternoon after we had been out all night hunting and everyone fell asleep
with it on the grill.....that didn't end well...even the dog wouldn't touch it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:43:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Cut them up and put them in a bucket with holes in ithe bottom over your chicken pen. Google maggot feeder. The redgoat had a great thread on it in the garden forum.
View Quote

thats hysterical....but not a bad idea......don't show the video to your breakfast guests.....
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:44:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only in Texas.  

Smart man.
Gonna save me a coon toothpick next one I get.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:46:26 PM EDT
[#35]
A close friend eats coon and young groundhogs on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:09:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:30:12 PM EDT
[#37]
I had it once. Walked into my local hangout bar early one afternoon and the owner was there alone. Hank wasn't poor but he wasn't rich either. I asked him what he was cooking cause it smelled pretty good. He would have a crock pot going in the corner with his supper some days seeing as he lived upstairs. He offered me a sammich on a bun which I thought was beef and gravy. It was damn good. Then he told me it was coon. I wish I knew how he had prepared it because it was great tasting, and although we have beef and venison available there are plenty of coons around too...

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:50:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I like fishy fish and gamey meat and raccoon is just one of many.....You just have to know how to cook game.

If you cook all animals like it was a piece of beef then you will fail and not like it.

This is my grandfather and my dad is in there....They taught me how to make anything taste good.

http://fuserservices.com/Grand+dad.jpg
View Quote

I believe you very much so.
You see the relatives I had in the boot hill of Missouri I ate the coon meal with lived fucking hard.
Pumped water by hand on a well pump outside and used an out house,hunted and fished for food and trapped fur bearing animals for money as well as gathered wild Ginseng to make ends meet.
Fwiw that hard ass great Uncle of mine earned two Silver Stars on Bougainville Island and the Philippines.
Tough hard old guy that fed his family and taught me a good bit.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:23:39 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote
So are pigs - but I don't see many people hear arguing against bacon.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:34:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

So......  Not Halal?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:35:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I ate a little bit of bbq'ed coon years ago.  Then I started thinking about how similar they are to cats and tossed it back up.  
View Quote

According to Coltman, Racoon tastes like cat.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:43:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Why yes I have. I don't do it very often, but about once or twice a year I Will cook up a coon or two. Here is a recipe for you to try if you decide to cook one.

A lot of folks have said that they have a very gamey taste and are greasy. If not skinned properly they are very gamey. They have several small. kernel shaped scent glands in each arm pit. Some come off with the hide. Others are closer to the meat and will need to be cut out. There are 3-4 glands under each leg. If you get those out the heavy game taste goes away. Their meat is naturally greasy. I usually par boil mine prior to cooking for a few reasons. One, the meat can be tough. Par boiling tenderizes the meat. Two, the longer you boil it, the more grease the meat releases.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:28:43 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Why yes I have. I don't do it very often, but about once or twice a year I Will cook up a coon or two. Here is a recipe for you to try if you decide to cook one.

A lot of folks have said that they have a very gamey taste and are greasy. If not skinned properly they are very gamey. They have several small. kernel shaped scent glands in each arm pit. Some come off with the hide. Others are closer to the meat and will need to be cut out. There are 3-4 glands under each leg. If you get those out the heavy game taste goes away. Their meat is naturally greasy. I usually par boil mine prior to cooking for a few reasons. One, the meat can be tough. Par boiling tenderizes the meat. Two, the longer you boil it, the more grease the meat releases.
View Quote
That's also the trick to getting most of the fat out of the meat before you BBQ it.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:50:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Sure we do.

Low boil for a few hours, then put whole coon into a crockpot or pressure cooker with vegetables and potatoes.

View Quote

That's the way we cooked coons.   Boil them for a bit, then in the crock pot.  Make some good BBQ sammiches.  

Every good coon hunter has a coon dick toothpick.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:55:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Geeeeezus!!!!!!    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Geeeeezus!!!!!!    

He's telling the truth.    We sold a lot to black folk when we ran trap lines when I was young.   Just be sure to leave a foot on.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:56:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Interesting.  I think I met him.   Hunting guide?      Said they pay $5.00 each.   Consider it kind of a delicacy.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:01:24 PM EDT
[#47]
How is it compared to Groundhog? I like me some Groundhog potatoes.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:14:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Coon-
The other yellow meat
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:17:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Only in Texas.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only in Texas.  

My Grandpa was quite the joker. When my Uncle brought his bride to be home for Sunday dinner, he gave her one for a special toothpick. Not wanting to be rude, Aunt Rett used it. It's been a family joke for the last 50 years.
Hessian-1
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:17:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It's gamey. I like it though. something different. I recommend either frying it or cooking it on top of the oven in a skillet then sending it into a crockpot with red potatoes and some greenbeans. Plus, like Burger King, you get a hat with a meal.
View Quote

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top