Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/21/2014 5:25:14 PM EDT
One of our local Rednecks shared with me, while debating religion and the existence of a "creator", that the only thing keeping him from murdering, raping and pillaging, was that the Bible tells him not to.  i.e: He has no moral compass of his own.  His morality is strictly dictated by a Fear of God's Wrath.

I understand that not all Christians think like Bubba here, but…  How many of you would go on an Insane Escapade of Debauchery if you thought you wouldn't face judgment from God?

p.s.  I don't know how to create a poll.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:26:01 PM EDT
[#1]
No. Go back and edit your post. Create poll will be an option.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:26:03 PM EDT
[#2]
ummm, no

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:26:39 PM EDT
[#3]
That may be projection on his part... believing that many people would do that, but using himself as an example.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:27:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Wait you mean my "Insane Escapade of Debauchery" is a bad thing???
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:28:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Good luck finding 'undeniable proof'

<-- former atheist.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:28:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I suspect quite a few. I hear often enough that atheists can't be moral people because they have no central Divine morality to guide them. They may *act* in moral ways but, they can't *be* moral.

I don't subscribe to that ideology but, I hear lots of Christians espouse it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:29:02 PM EDT
[#7]
In the absence of human law preventing rape, murder and pillaging, would you go on a spree
and start doing it?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:29:03 PM EDT
[#8]
lol no
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

<-- former atheist.
View Quote
Amen.

<--Former believer.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:30:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Your 'friend" needs to stop watching The Purge films.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:31:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I suspect quite a few. I hear often enough that atheists can't be moral people because they have no central Divine morality to guide them. They may *act* in moral ways but, they can't *be* moral.

View Quote

That's ridiculous.  "Oh, you may not do immoral things and you may act according to a sound moral code... but deep down I know you're really not moral!"

I don't think I've ever heard that, but it wouldn't surprise me.

And no, I don't ascribe to the Bible.  And haven't killed anyone.  And believe rape, murder, and theft are wrong.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:31:56 PM EDT
[#12]
recruiting for ISIS?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

GD has told me that Atheists are "morally bankrupt", but, a personal moral compass, not one dictated by religious beliefs, is what makes me behave in an acceptable manor.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#14]
uh no.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:33:19 PM EDT
[#15]

If I lost my belief in God I would not murder, rape and pillage, but only because it would require leaving my basement.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
In the absence of human law preventing rape, murder and pillaging, would you go on a spree
and start doing it?
View Quote

This.

You either have a moral compass or you don't.

I'm not religious.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Ultimately when your Book of Life is opened in the presence of the Creator, you will judge yourself and see all your shortcomings.  

BTW, it isn't "Thou shall not kill" but "Thou shall not slay."  The distinction is that you  may kill in self-defense and in defense of your loved ones.  You can't kill just because someone is wearing the wrong colors or because he flips you off.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:35:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I would continue to live my life just as I do now. With God or without God, if you live your life based on The Ten Commandments, you're doing things the right way. And no, I don't need the Bible to serve as my sole moral compass. I have a conscience for that.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ultimately when your Book of Life is opened in the presence of the Creator, you will judge yourself and see all your shortcomings.  

BTW, it isn't "Thou shall not kill" but "Thou shall not slay."  The distinction is that you  may kill in self-defense and in defense of your loved ones.  You can't kill just because someone is wearing the wrong colors or because he flips you off.
View Quote

What compelled you to interject that Sunday School lesson?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:38:03 PM EDT
[#20]
I think a more accurate statement is that we are sinners.  We can rationalize degrees with ourselves all day long, but we all fall short of God's standard.  God's word reveals what sin is, and convicts us to stop doing it.  It is our faith that causes us to change our ways, and faith comes by hearing the word.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:38:14 PM EDT
[#21]
"In the absence of human law preventing rape, murder and pillaging, would you go on a spree
and start doing it?"

No.

Edit:  Missed quote.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
and start doing it?
View Quote

Good point....either God's law or man's law if your going to commit evil acts in the absence of law then your not a moral person regardless.  Your "redneck" example is flawed.  I highly doubt that he is a Christian.  He may fear God but he's more than likely not a true believer in Christ.  The devil fears God and His wrath but yet commits evil.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:38:39 PM EDT
[#23]
No.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:38:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
and start doing it?
View Quote

No.  I would, however, give Ms. Hendricks knockers thorough groping.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:38:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now you know.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Your 'friend" needs to stop watching The Purge films.
View Quote

This conversation took place before the "Purge" films.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:39:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
and start doing it?

If Christina Hendricks was your neighbor... would you covet her ass?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:41:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably because this site deals with the right of self defense and there are clowns who do not know the difference.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:42:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Troll account.  To bad OP lacks the conviction to post under his/hers/gender confused regular account.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:43:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
and start doing it?

Not in the least.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:44:11 PM EDT
[#31]
No.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:44:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Good point....either God's law or man's law if your going to commit evil acts in the absence of law then your not a moral person regardless.  Your "redneck" example is flawed.  I highly doubt that he is a Christian.  He may fear God but he's more than likely not a true believer in Christ.  The devil fears God and His wrath but yet commits evil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
and start doing it?

Quite the contrary.  His is an adamant and devout believer, (albeit misguided).  He wants to debate Christianity/ Atheism every time I see his dumb ass.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:45:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Where you suppose said "moral compass" originated?

You think it's built in? I would wager Darwin thinks nyet.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:45:21 PM EDT
[#34]
God hates OP's poll.  It has been stricken down!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:46:15 PM EDT
[#35]
As an atheist, I feel completely free to murder, rape, pillage and rape.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:46:17 PM EDT
[#36]
No.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:46:26 PM EDT
[#37]
I believe that all mankind is exposed to the Light of Christ, and that said Light of Christ influences us to be able to understand good from evil and right from wrong.  Thus even an atheist can understand right from wrong and be moral.

Also, people can choose to dull their sensitivity to the Light of Christ through their choices, so that they no longer feel its influence and they become immoral people whether they claim faith or not.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:47:51 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

<-- former atheist.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:48:06 PM EDT
[#39]
One should become more self-actualized through their Christian faith.
Whether you believe in God or not, you must consider that all civilizations isolated or not, that had recorded history, developed some form of religious beliefs. With that in mind I imagine civilization as we know it would end. Not necessarily from Christians becoming sinners, but from suicide and a cycle of pain without any relief mechanisms.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:48:27 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I would continue to live my life just as I do now. With God or without God, if you live your life based on The Ten Commandments, you're doing things the right way. And no, I don't need the Bible to serve as my sole moral compass. I have a conscience for that.
View Quote
Where do you get your conscience from?

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#41]
The fear of being punished for doing wrong by King james.

A man needs to fear something more than government to keep him under control and the government uses it to get the reaction they want.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:52:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
As an atheist, I feel completely free to murder, rape, pillage and rape.
View Quote

You said rape twice...............

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#43]
No.

I keep the religious side of my "moral compass" separate from the self-interest side of my "moral compass". Religious beliefs help to keep some of the gray area's of self interest in check. Bribery, collusion, etc. Things that aren't specifically harmful, but can bite you in the ass down the road.

At least that's the way I do it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:54:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Morality has nothing to do with religion. Man is a social animal and morality allows man to live with man. It's an evolutionary mechanism.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:54:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quite the contrary.  His is an adamant and devout believer, (albeit misguided).  He wants to debate Christianity/ Atheism every time I see his dumb ass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
and start doing it?

Kind of O/T,but in my almost 13 years of business,guess who have tried to screw me over?(Hint-not blacks,mexicans,or gays)

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:55:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Survival instinct. Varies by person though, nature/nurture and all that jazz.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:59:12 PM EDT
[#47]
I've been told that before.  The guy who told me wasn't a redneck.  He was completely matter-of-fact about it too.  

I don't believe in Christianity.  I do want most people to go to a Christian church, and that's why.  Most people need to go to church.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:04:19 PM EDT
[#48]
It's called Faith for a reason.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:06:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Morality has nothing to do with religion. Man is a social animal and morality allows man to live with man. It's an evolutionary mechanism.
View Quote

I have heard of pseudo morality where we are only product of genes and environment and therefore no morality can exist.  Therefore
pseudo morality will allow man to live coexist with other man.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top