BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:00:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Could be a wax plug between the two substances.
View Quote

A very pertinent observation. Would support the temperature activated theory.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:25:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I went back and looked at it again.

It appears there are two types of powder to me. There is the prilled stuff in the cup. But, where the chamber swages out, it appears to be a clumped, finely divided powder. The color also looks a little different.

It also looks like that section of the object was milled out; I see fine lines.

Still would like to see an xray of it.

Shawn

Current guess: dark liquid is old sulphuric acid, and the powder(s) are some kinda chlorate. Prong either releases a cocked striker, shatters the clear part, directly drives A into B, or channels something down into the clear chamber causing a mix.

It will probably wind up being some kinda 50's New Age witch crystal channeling wand.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:34:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Under no circumstances should you get that near a Tesla coil
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:10:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Do you care if this widget gets destroyed, OP? If not, you could very careful drill a hole through the top of the bulb to get a sample of the powder. Then you could have the powder laboratory tested to determine what it is. That would probably give more insight as to what this widget is for..
View Quote

Bullshit, hit it with a hammer.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:20:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:24:57 PM EDT
[#6]
JUST MIX THE 2 CHEMICALS ALREADY!
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:44:27 PM EDT
[#7]
tagged for the hive to solve the mystery

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:57:49 AM EDT
[#8]
OMG, please somebody solve this riddle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:40:02 AM EDT
[#9]
In for the disappointment.....
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:49:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Walking cane with cocaine in the handle.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:04:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Tag
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:27:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I was about to say Brake Fluid (polyethylene glycol) and Chlorine (calcium hypochlorite) I could see it as a make shift rocket/RPG.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I went back and looked at it again.

It appears there are two types of powder to me. There is the prilled stuff in the cup. But, where the chamber swages out, it appears to be a clumped, finely divided powder. The color also looks a little different.

It also looks like that section of the object was milled out; I see fine lines.

Still would like to see an xray of it.

Shawn

Current guess: dark liquid is old sulphuric acid, and the powder(s) are some kinda chlorate. Prong either releases a cocked striker, shatters the clear part, directly drives A into B, or channels something down into the clear chamber causing a mix.

It will probably wind up being some kinda 50's New Age witch crystal channeling wand.

I was about to say Brake Fluid (polyethylene glycol) and Chlorine (calcium hypochlorite) I could see it as a make shift rocket/RPG.

Brake fluid is clear when clean/free of water.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:28:32 AM EDT
[#13]
What is the history of the owner of the house it was found in? If you know more about him, you can find what industry he was working in.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:36:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Binary firefighting compound?
View Quote

That is what I thought too. I worked on a 100 year old, 6 stop freight elevator at a Mine Supply company in Harlan Co. Kentucky a few years back. The rails where made of oak. It was beautifully made. The machine room on the roof still had the original fire extinguishers which were blown glass bulbs within a a larger bulb filled with a binary compound.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:26:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Bump to the front page........ Never seen GD stumped on anything.....well, snce 2008

Lookinup
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:11:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:29:43 AM EDT
[#18]
OP doesn't have access to the item for more photos. What you see is what you get.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:35:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Tell him to rub it and see if a genie appears.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:39:07 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Breaks/mixes to indicate a strike?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe a lightning rod?

You googled "rod glass bulb", too? :-)

I don't see what the purpose of the chemicals are, though.

Breaks/mixes to indicate a strike?
Not an air terminal (lightning rod)... the glass balls on air terminals are purely for looks.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:23:19 AM EDT
[#21]
The silver part on the end makes me think it's a temperature sensor.       Automatic fire extinguisher activator, acid and sodium bicarbonate.    

Put the damned thing in a vice and unscrew it.  

-or-

Light it on fire (from a distance).
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:38:17 AM EDT
[#22]
OP, we need more pictures of the shaft and the tip. A length and girth measurement would be helpful too.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:41:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Tag.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:47:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Pretty sure it's a copper ground rod. The tip just looks like end cap to assist in driving into the ground.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:39:51 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I don't think so, if this is the application then why is the very outside of the vessel (the part that holds to two chemicals) made of glass, it's completely unnecessary for that application. The only answer for why the outside is glass is that it needs to be visible. it's fairly obvious from the design that it is intended to mix from the liquid up towards the powder not vice versa, other wise, like the op said, why design it to have to break two layers of material. The design indicates that the liquid bypasses or breaks through, or pushes the partition up and mixes with the powder where the reaction can then be visible through the glass bulb. Also the interior compartments that the chemicals are in look like turned plastic rather than glass. That seems a little too modern for WWII bombs. You can see the turning marks around both the partition that separates the two chemicals and the upper part of the powder portion.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I AM GOING WITH THIS GUYS ANSWER. IT HAS TO GET SMASHED TOGETHER TO WORK, THEN THE FLAME GOES THROUGH THE BRASS ROD. IT IS ALSO ADJUSTABLE FOR DIFFERENT LENGTH.  BOMBS
Quoted:

w/o reading all the responses, the long brass part looks like the probe that could be put on the end of a dropped bomb. Contact with the ground pushes the liquid and powder together to create an explosion of some kind, which in turn ignites whatevers in the "bomb". The long probe is for a daisy-cutter like effect.

Of course, it may not be necessarily a "bomb" bomb. It could be an igniter for a smoke marker bomb, a "fuse" to break open a case of water, biochemical, or whatever.

I don't think so, if this is the application then why is the very outside of the vessel (the part that holds to two chemicals) made of glass, it's completely unnecessary for that application. The only answer for why the outside is glass is that it needs to be visible. it's fairly obvious from the design that it is intended to mix from the liquid up towards the powder not vice versa, other wise, like the op said, why design it to have to break two layers of material. The design indicates that the liquid bypasses or breaks through, or pushes the partition up and mixes with the powder where the reaction can then be visible through the glass bulb. Also the interior compartments that the chemicals are in look like turned plastic rather than glass. That seems a little too modern for WWII bombs. You can see the turning marks around both the partition that separates the two chemicals and the upper part of the powder portion.

glass was used because it was resistant to corrosives

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:03:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Hey, what the fuck is that thing?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:20:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Can more pictures be posted.  Close ups of the body (shaft) and tip please.
View Quote

That's what she said.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:14:18 AM EDT
[#28]

I think that the OP knows exactly what the device is and is playing us all for fools.  There is at least one telling thing in each photo that leads me to this belief.

1. What is the gray box with buttons on the edge of the pic?

2. What is the black connector with yellow band connected to the end of the bulb?

3. Why the note book.

1. In this picture it is almost like you are intentionally trying NOT to show us more of that black thing connected to the glass bulb.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:23:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I would use it as a pimp cane to keep my hoes in check.  You should probably give it some though as its actually function seems to be lost.
View Quote

The proper name for such a device is a "bitch be cool stick" and that is precisely what this is.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:35:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:17:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Well the bad news is that the local Police Bomb Squad have it and they don't play nice with others (the FD and I were asked if we knew what the item was).

They (the police) just want to blow it up as they hardly ever get to blow stuff up and this is a good opportunity for them.

The FD and I want to drill into the item and find out what the two chemicals are at very least.

So this IS (currently) like one of those terrible safe threads, as unless someone sees this and recognizes the item, we may never know what the item is.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:19:47 AM EDT
[#32]

A machine for analyzing things, which considering both compounds are locked inside a bulb, is somewhat useless in its readings.

2. What is the black connector with yellow band connected to the end of the bulb?

I have posted MANY times in this thread that it is a screwdriver underneath the item.

3. Why the note book.

Because something was needed for scale and no-one had a pencil.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:11:24 AM EDT
[#33]
After all and no more info, I'm going with a  thermally activated safety device of some kind.  

I think the tube is full of that liquid and when it gets hot enough it will push the divider into the powder chamber, react with the powder and in so doing, push the tip out of the end and dump the product out through the end of the shaft.  I think the grooves are designed to hold the item in a specific position, placing the tip of the unit where the reaction products will be needed.  I think the lead tip is also an electrical contact, as are the grooves, so there can be an electrical alert if the unit has discharged or is not in place.

I don't think it's a fire extinguisher because the size precludes having a sufficient volume of reactants to do very much to a fire.  

In stead, I'm going with a reaction neutralizer of some kind.  I have no idea what though.  

This safe thread sucks ass.  Go tell the PD that they suck chode if they won't give more info.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:19:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That is what I thought too. I worked on a 100 year old, 6 stop freight elevator at a Mine Supply company in Harlan Co. Kentucky a few years back. The rails where made of oak. It was beautifully made. The machine room on the roof still had the original fire extinguishers which were blown glass bulbs within a a larger bulb filled with a binary compound.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Binary firefighting compound?

Kentucky Mine Supply, over by the railroad tracks.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:26:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

A machine for analyzing things, which considering both compounds are locked inside a bulb, is somewhat useless in its readings.

I have posted MANY times in this thread that it is a screwdriver underneath the item.

3. Why the note book.

View Quote

What good is the notebook without a pencil??
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:30:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Well the bad news is that the local Police Bomb Squad have it and they don't play nice with others (the FD and I were asked if we knew what the item was).

They (the police) just want to blow it up as they hardly ever get to blow stuff up and this is a good opportunity for them.

The FD and I want to drill into the item and find out what the two chemicals are at very least.

So this IS (currently) like one of those terrible safe threads, as unless someone sees this and recognizes the item, we may never know what the item is.
View Quote

Tell them they can blow it up after they light the metal tip on fire first.  Arfcom has theories to test.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:30:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

3. Why the note book.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:47:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
OP, we need more pictures of the shaft and the tip. A length and girth measurement would be helpful too.
View Quote

HOTD thread is ==========> thataway
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:51:48 AM EDT
[#39]
       Take it or send pics to a museum.  I think they still have those.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:00:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

I shot fireworks for 3 years for a large regional fireworks company in the Northeast during the Independence Day peak season.  One year we were in NJ and it was raining all damned day, and we expected the shoot to be cancelled.  Nope - the town commissioner that arranged the shoot was bound and determined it should go on. And the fire marshal was a gigantic pussy who -knew- it was dangerous to shoot with wet pyro (the humidity alone) but didn't want to lose his job.  So we shot, and it was a disaster.  5" mortars bursting 100' above our heads, duds not bursting and coming down whole, shit not even making it out of the tubes - I still have the tshirt I was wearing with the scorch marks from getting hit with stars from one that went off about 10' out of the tube.  We were there until 0500 cleaning up, and then had to drive home.  Mid morning we get a call - it's the fire marshal, and he wants us to come back because they found 3 unexploded stars in the field, and we were obligated to remove them.  Actually the fire marshal called the company owner, who ripped him a new one over the phone and told him he could call the ATF if he wanted to but he wasn't sending anyone out to that town ever again.

We later found out that they called out the local bomb squad, in full kit, with the "containment" trailer, to handle 3 2" diameter cardboard balls of black powder, which had been soaking all night in the rain.  We also did go back the next year (the company, not me) - the fire marshal had been fired, and the county commissioner was no longer there, along with the town secretary he was fucking.

Anyway, CSB, and back to the quasi safe thread.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:05:21 AM EDT
[#41]
The type of rod has me thinking it's some sort of thermostat type device. No idea what for.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:17:55 AM EDT
[#42]
After further review, and a little help from GM Master Tech manuals, it's one of two things:

- Flux Capacitor from 2006-2009 GMC Yukon XL

- Headlight Fluid Dipstick from 2009-2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:20:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
After further review, and a little help from GM Master Tech manuals, it's one of two things:

- Blinker Fluid Dipstick from 2009-2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:23:15 AM EDT
[#44]
This thread is dildos
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:26:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- Blinker Fluid Dipstick from 2009-2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

Clearly it's not the blinker dipstick, those were made of depleted uranium which you can easily identify by the color of the material, but I suppose you could always break out your snap on geiger counter??
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:28:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This thread is dildos
View Quote

Seems a bit long, thin, and rigid for that.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:31:55 AM EDT
[#47]
I would laugh at the EOD guys who just want to blow something up for the sake of blowing something up and then this thread discovers its some kind of rare _______ that is now priceless.

It's not a threat, it not hurting anyone..
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:33:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:25:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I think that the OP knows exactly what the device is and is playing us all for fools.  There is at least one telling thing in each photo that leads me to this belief.

http://i59.tinypic.com/11hw45g.jpg

3. Why the note book.

http://i61.tinypic.com/dfa7oo.jpg

1. In this picture it is almost like you are intentionally trying NOT to show us more of that black thing connected to the glass bulb.

View Quote

Read the thread.
That box is an analyzer.
The yellow thing is just a screw driver propping it up from underneath
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:14:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I would laugh at the EOD guys who just want to blow something up for the sake of blowing something up

and then this thread discovers its some kind of rare _______ that is now priceless.

View Quote

Most EOD guys have a Leatherman
and would of attempted to open/unscrew it

I'm surprised no one has licked it

Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top