User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Disregard my last long post then. Go rent a rooter and go through that cleanout towards the sewer main. Most are under the street but since your cleanout is in back like mine is the sewer main is probably under your rear fence.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK- cleanout found!  It is on the rear of our property, right next to the house (and closest to our Master bathroom).

The cleanout is filled to the brim with (obviously sewage-y) water.

ETA:  Going to look for the "road side" cleanout now...

Disregard my last long post then. Go rent a rooter and go through that cleanout towards the sewer main. Most are under the street but since your cleanout is in back like mine is the sewer main is probably under your rear fence.

...which is about 200 feet away from my house.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:16:05 PM EDT
[#2]
What you think you will find...

<CoC Violation>
What you will find...

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Woman hygiene products will do a number on them.  No roots or collapse needed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK- cleanout found!  It is on the rear of our property, right next to the house (and closest to our Master bathroom).

If there's standing sewage in the cleanout, the clog is between the cleanout and the city line. So it's either on the city's side, or...you might have roots or a collapsed pipe.

Woman hygiene products will do a number on them.  No roots or collapse needed.

My wife is too smart to flush those.  I hope.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What you think you will find...

<CoC Violation>

What you will find...

http://www.rootermangta.com/assets/CloggedToiletPicture.jpg
View Quote

My boy does not get access to the crayons unsupervised...though our reason for that was so that he doesn't write/draw on the walls.  Now we have another reason.

Looking up snake rental rates/availability now...
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:27:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have a 200' run from your house to the sewer main?

There is something else that you can try. Find a sprayer bulb- I forget the actual name of it, but it attaches to your water hose. It goes in the sewer line through the cleanout. When you turn the water on it will inflate and seal the pipe and spray water to the clog with high pressure. The bulbs are not expensive.
If that doesn't work try renting a rooter and hope it isn't too far from the house. If you can't reach the clog- call a pro.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:29:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Couldn't find a roadside cleanout.  

Neighbor says there's supposed to be a manhole that's right along my property line, and we walked out there looking for it.  Problem is, there's tons of overgrowth and the light is dying.  I think I'm on my own in fixing this one.
View Quote

Call the sewer authority emergency line and they will send someone out.  Tell them it's in your house.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:33:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd say the waste line is plugged between the house and the main.  Call a plumber.

I wonder if you could set off some tannerite down there somehow?  That'll clean it all out.

The worst toilet adventure was a downstairs toilet that would flush perfectly two, three times and then the forth flush

would have you doing the shit water tapdance.  Then it would flush fine again.  Snaked it multiple times.  Pulled the toilet twice.

Re-educated the entire family on how you don't have to make an "oven mitt" of toilet paper to wipe your butt.  I covered all the bases.

Could not figure out for the life of me why the water kept backing up every once in a while.

Until I discovered, after pulling the toilet for a third investigation that a Welshes jelly jar lid will act like a

butterfly valve and wont simply fall out of the removed toilet.  It has to be pushed back out the way it came in.

Damn toddlers.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:33:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#9]
playing with poop thread
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:40:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Home Depot charges $50 for a few hours rental of a 100' electric snake.

You have an access point outside the house that you can snake toward the main.

Feed cable slowly and work it on down the line.  When it hits the clog, you'll know.  Ease it through the clog without any slack in the cable.

Once you do it for the first time, you'll see that even though it's tricky... it is still a straight forward process.

I found the hardest part was getting the damn snake back into the bed of the pick up by myself after the job is through.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:52:41 PM EDT
[#11]
start with I am not a plumber... we had similar problem a few months ago. Flush toilet and no go. Try to plunge and backs up into shower. It ended up being clogged main line. Our main line had a cleanout in the back yard. So what I did was buy a 100 foot pressure blaster hose for my power washer. It is a rubber hose with a special tip that shoots high pressure water forward and then 3 holes that shoot water to the sides angled back. The thing pulls itself thru the line and cleans out everything great. Took all of 20mins to run the line thru our line and problem was solved. The hose with the tip cost me $120 and will probably last me forever. One plumber visit to clean my line was going to cost me over $200. The rental 100' auger at home depot was going to cost $80 so I figured I was money ahead to buy the hose. Course if you don't have a power washer... that isn't an option but I have to say a power washer is a super handy thing to have also. Good luck with your problem.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:56:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
start with I am not a plumber... we had similar problem a few months ago. Flush toilet and no go. Try to plunge and backs up into shower. It ended up being clogged main line. Our main line had a cleanout in the back yard. So what I did was buy a 100 foot pressure blaster hose for my power washer. It is a rubber hose with a special tip that shoots high pressure water forward and then 3 holes that shoot water to the sides angled back. The thing pulls itself thru the line and cleans out everything great. Took all of 20mins to run the line thru our line and problem was solved. The hose with the tip cost me $120 and will probably last me forever. One plumber visit to clean my line was going to cost me over $200. The rental 100' auger at home depot was going to cost $80 so I figured I was money ahead to buy the hose. Course if you don't have a power washer... that isn't an option but I have to say a power washer is a super handy thing to have also. Good luck with your problem.
View Quote

Yeah, I just read about this product when trying to find the name for the hose "bulb attachment" mentioned previously.

I don't have a pressure washer so it's a no-go for me, though.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:43:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Okay...holding off on the Liquid Plumber...can you explain why not to use it?

So, what length of snake are you suggesting?  50-foot?  Longer?  What constitutes a "good" snake?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
DON'T USE LIQUID PLUMBER.

Either rent a GOOD snake from home depot, or pay a plumber $140 to clean out the main line.  Hopefully it isn't a broken main drain like I had.  

Okay...holding off on the Liquid Plumber...can you explain why not to use it?

So, what length of snake are you suggesting?  50-foot?  Longer?  What constitutes a "good" snake?

Because real plumbers don't like getting splashed with Liquid Plumber.  And in any case, if you are backing up past toilets and showers the clog is more than a minor clog under the toilet,  (No matter how proud you might be of your effort)  You aren't going to be able to put enough LP in to do the job (so to speak) and it's going to take an unacceptable amount of time to works its way down there.

According  to most of GD the only "good" snake is a "dead" snake.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:56:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Call the sewer authority emergency line and they will send someone out.  Tell them it's in your house.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neighbor says there's supposed to be a manhole that's right along my property line, and we walked out there looking for it.  Problem is, there's tons of overgrowth and the light is dying.  I think I'm on my own in fixing this one.

X2, better to have them figure out it's not on the city side before you drop money on a rental. And if you do rent a snake, get the insurance if they offer it. My buddy snapped the cable when we were doing his and it would have been around 600$ to replace if he didn't opt for it
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:02:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

50' electric snake time. you can rent them cheap.

View Quote

Run it down the drain, then go outside and find the cleanouts and run it through them. One should get you to the cleanout and the other to the street.

Those things are awesome! We did ours from the roof and hadn't had a problem since. In our case it was the washer drain that was overflowing.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:05:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Call a pro. They can clean through the vent on the roof as well as through the cleanout on the ground.

FWIW when our daughter was about the age your son is she flushed a lot of stuff- like washcloths and toys. It clogged the drain line under the slab.

The pro can clean from the top all the way out to the sewer main. If you have never done it before this isn't the time to try.
View Quote

The "pro" did ours but it was back to being sluggish a mere few months later. I was expecting the same this last time when we did it ourselves but so far so good.

I plan on getting the harbor freight power snake when I can afford it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:13:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Master Plumber checking in:

If you are not experienced with large snakes... or are not good with how tools do and do not work... you could be in for ...ohhh... many many many issues.

Easily hurt yourself with a commercial snake... they are not a joke.

Easily spray your walls and house with gray water and or (poop/debris/horrible yeeech)

Easily put an augur bit right through a fitting. Maybe underground, maybe aboveground.

Its 50 dollars to rent a snake plus gas and time to go get it....

OR

Pay a pro 150 bones to come in and knock it out in minutes with no problems.

Sorry for your problems.. but this is a no brainer sir.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:13:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

X2, better to have them figure out it's not on the city side before you drop money on a rental. And if you do rent a snake, get the insurance if they offer it. My buddy snapped the cable when we were doing his and it would have been around 600$ to replace if he didn't opt for it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good advice...emergency dispatch has been contacted, but nobody's come by just yet.  

Noted very much on the snake insurance, as well.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:22:12 PM EDT
[#19]
It might not be your responsibility. Around here after a certain point it becomes the cities responsibly.

There are youtube videos on how to operate the snake. It sounds like your problem is more extensive.

At least you did some trouble shooting and ruled out the house plumbing, it sounds like anyway.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:27:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Could be tree roots.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:30:08 PM EDT
[#21]
This happened to me a few months back in a house I rent. Guy didn't tell me immediately and tried to fix it with liquid plumber. Water leaked and somehow jacked the wax ring and was leaking through the floor into the basement.

I would shop vac the excess water out of the bowel and showers so you don't have the same problem.

Plumber cost me $230 to snake from clean out in my basement. Took him less than 45 min from arrival to pulling away.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:00:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This happened to me a few months back in a house I rent. Guy didn't tell me immediately and tried to fix it with liquid plumber. Water leaked and somehow jacked the wax ring and was leaking through the floor into the basement.

I would shop vac the excess water out of the bowel and showers so you don't have the same problem.

Plumber cost me $230 to snake from clean out in my basement. Took him less than 45 min from arrival to pulling away.
View Quote

We ended up having to go with a well-equipped pro service because a 50' snake ended up not being long enough.

$200-ish was my total bill.  

Could've been worse, though- the guy waived charges for the extra time it took him to figure out where/that the clog was beyond "regular" snake range.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:39:39 PM EDT
[#23]
That seems to be the going rate around here. After I watched a couple times I did it myself.

I don't have an access (that they could find) on the ground. I would have to call someone if the roof snaking didn't work.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:09:25 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
We ended up having to go with a well-equipped pro service because a 50' snake ended up not being long enough.

Could've been worse, though- the guy waived charges for the extra time it took him to figure out where/that the clog was beyond "regular" snake range.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey, be happy that there isn't a backhoe in your yard digging up the pipe.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:25:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Since I have a power washer and several long runs to the street, I'm going to remember this.   Happen to have a link?

ETA....Good luck OP.  If you have one handy, Harbor Freight sells powered drain snakes that are reasonably priced.  I can't attest to it's quality, but it seems like one of those tools that Harbor Freight is good for.   Personally......I'd probably just rent a plumber for an hour if it were me.  

ETA.......Finished the thread and see you resolved the issue.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:03:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Just had the exact same situation last week (clogged/backup into tub midnight Friday night )

Took the top off of the cleanout and could see the main line out to the street was clogged with toilet paper etc, called plumber out Saturday morning.  $137.50 for him to run the snake and clear the clog.
View Quote

Yep., check the clean out, if its clogged there, definitely call a plumber and just be done with it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:21:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yeah, I just read about this product when trying to find the name for the hose "bulb attachment" mentioned previously.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its called a drain bladder or blow bag

The bulb attachment on the end of the hose may work if its only a backup of flushed goodies.  If its tree roots then you need a big auger.  In that case its best to call a plumber.  Saying that, I have my own large auger, but sometimes I have to call a plumber myself.  A big 5/8 or 3/4 cable auger can be tricky to run, or even move around.

If there are no tree roots then you might be able to dislodge it with the bulb attachment, provided you can get it aimed the right direction down the cleanout pipe.  If the sewage is backed up too far you wont be able to see where the bulb is headed and you might just force water into the house.  It gets kind of tricky, I had to stick my hand down the cleanout once to stick the bulb in the right spot.  Tenant paid her rent immediately upon seeing me go above and beyond on that one.

like everyone else said, do NOT use any chemicals for this.  Someone will have to play in all that mess.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top