Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/20/2014 5:01:11 PM EDT
I understand why .308 and 7.62x51mm semi-automatic and automatic rifles are as popular as they are. Those calibers seem like a nice compromise within the limitations of a box mag fed autoloader and logistics shared with belt-fed MGs.

In bolt actions, .308 doesn't make as much sense to me. Bolt actions are more forgiving of varying loads, and logistics isn't as much of a concern. The performance of the cartridge is almost all that matters, and from my limited knowledge, .308 seems like a bit of an odd compromise. .30-06, for example, can do everything .308 can and then some. It can be loaded for heavier bullets, higher velocity, or both. And that's just looking at things from a general purpose perspective.

Guys in the know looking for precision and chasing ballistic coefficient seem to end up in the 6mm range. Hunters seem to look at lighter cartridges like .243 unless they're going after something big, in which case .30-06 almost seems to be the minimum caliber they ask for.

But when people talk about getting a bolt action rifle, .308 seems to be the default caliber when there's no particular use in mind. Why is that?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:04:07 PM EDT
[#1]
They are darned accurate with factory loads.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:04:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Lol. 308 AND 30-06

You do think outside the box.

You you.... Rebel

ETA

Many of the tacticool kids think you will catch the Fudds if you had something like a .25-06 or .280.  And heaven forbid if you have a .375 H&H!  

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Not enough difference in cartridge performance for me to care one way or another. SA vs LA is less weight in the field,  that's about the only thing I've got...

ETA: ^That's in reference to .308 vs. .30-06. They're both good do-all cartridges for North America.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:05:44 PM EDT
[#4]
cost and availability?

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:06:11 PM EDT
[#5]
My guess is because the military used it in sniper rifles, you can find it anywhere (including a few gas stations in my neck of the woods up until recently)

and it does have a fairly decent cost/benefit ratio IMHO.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:07:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Many reasons IMO.  Reasonable cost of ammo, its' available everywhere, can harvest all but the largest north American game, mild recoil.  Military chamberings are always popular with the American shooter.  I'm sure others will chime in with plenty more
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:07:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Nearly same ballistics as .30-06, but can be put in a shorter, thus stronger, action.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:08:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Short action.  Slightly lighter and handier.  Very versatile cartridge, will do almost anything that needs done on the North American continent (not big bear or moose).  Typically an accurate cartridge.  And its a military caliber.  There is still a large segment of the shooting fraternity that think cheap military ammo is the way to go.  Even tho 7.62 isn't especially cheap.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:09:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess I'm a simple kind of guy.

I stock:

9mm
12guage

If I was going to buy a bolt gun I would be looking for one in .308.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:09:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Short action.  Slightly lighter and handier.  Very versatile cartridge, will do almost anything that needs done on the North American continent (not big bear or moose).  Typically an accurate cartridge.  And its a military caliber.  There is still a large segment of the shooting fraternity that think cheap military ammo is the way to go.  Even tho 7.62 isn't especially cheap.
View Quote

sure it can
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:11:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I understand why .308 and 7.62x51mm semi-automatic and automatic rifles are as popular as they are. Those calibers seem like a nice compromise within the limitations of a box mag fed autoloader and logistics shared with belt-fed MGs.

In bolt actions, .308 doesn't make as much sense to me. Bolt actions are more forgiving of varying loads, and logistics isn't as much of a concern. The performance of the cartridge is almost all that matters, and from my limited knowledge, .308 seems like a bit of an odd compromise. .30-06, for example, can do everything .308 can and then some. It can be loaded for heavier bullets, higher velocity, or both. And that's just looking at things from a general purpose perspective.

Guys in the know looking for precision and chasing ballistic coefficient seem to end up in the 6mm range. Hunters seem to look at lighter cartridges like .243 unless they're going after something big, in which case .30-06 almost seems to be the minimum caliber they ask for.

But when people talk about getting a bolt action rifle, .308 seems to be the default caliber when there's no particular use in mind. Why is that?
View Quote

.243 Win is necked down .308 Win
.308 to .30-06 is very little in difference in terms of performance and .308 can be custom loaded but comes down to the twist of the barrel 1/10 is best in you plan to shoot the 180gr.
.308 in my opinion is the best all around cartridge and here is why.
30 caliber
short action cartridge - .30-06 requires long action
great penetration
great range for non mag
match loads available
great ammo availability (steel, surplus, match, hunting etc etc)

what can 6mm bring down that .308 Win cannot?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:12:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

sure it can
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

sure it can

Shot placement.  .308 will penetrate the skull and with the right ammo it can hit the heart with ease.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:12:51 PM EDT
[#13]
It's a caliber that you find anywhere.   It does most things you ask of it.  It's known to have a number of highly accurate factory options for ammo.   If you already have .308 then it's one less mouth to feed.

I just picked up my first blot rifle.   I got .308 because there have been exactly 2 opportunities to fire beyond 500yds in my 20 years shooting so I don't need to concern myself with performance at 1100yds and I'm all setup to build accurate .308 ammo at home.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:14:40 PM EDT
[#14]
30-06 vs. 308

German Salazar's article explains it best in my opinion
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:14:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Love my 16 inch Ruger lightweight. Had fixed sights installed, and now it's even more perfect.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:15:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes it can - many of both have fallen to the .308.

I wouldn't hesitate to use a .280 or a .270 with the proper bullet selection.

a bad hit with any caliber is a bad hit.
a good hit will do the job every time.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:15:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Nearly same ballistics as .30-06, but can be put in a shorter, thus stronger, action.
View Quote

Yes; I forgot to mention that.
I'm pushing 168 grain projectiles at 2800 fps... that's damn near 30-06 velocities for that bullet weight class.  308 brass is much more plentiful for the handloader, and he has many more options vs. -06 brass.

I handload match 308 loads for $0.50 each, about one third the cost of comparable factory ammo.  Barrel life in 308 is very good... its not uncommon for guys to get well over 8000 rounds out of a barrel before accuracy begins to fade.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:16:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

But if TSHTF it will be more likely to be available than any non-US military caliber.  Plus, being the caliber of the US military's medium machine guns it meant that spent brass was plentiful until recent years when political leadership went out of its way to shut off the sale of reloadable brass to civilians.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:16:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I stock:

9mm
12guage

View Quote

Exact same here. I just picked up a Tikka T3 in 308.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:17:13 PM EDT
[#20]
.308 is a known quantity and somewhat plentiful.  Like one other poster said it can be found quite easily if need be.  Or you can have a really cool rifle chambered in a really awesome cartridge, but you have to reload for it and only one shop will carry it to keep you coming around.  Or you can be like the big fat fuck I saw today giving the clerk at Cabelas shit for not carrying .243 WSSM ammo.  I find it better since I don't hand load to keep my weapons in common calibers.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:18:23 PM EDT
[#22]
I've been known to kill a few things with mine - 1968 Mod 70 /.308, plus  I can hand load any .30 bullet from 110 - 220 g for it and kill anything I want.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:19:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

.308 has a wide variety of loads readily available, is generally less expensive, and doesn't wear out a barrel as quickly as hotter calibers/loads. As a fairly long established caliber, there are a ton of after-market parts for .308 caliber sticks...plus it's a NATO round and would be easier to pick up off the battlefield in a SHTF situation.

Short of African game, there isn't a critter on the North American Continent that a .308 wont put down....including the most dangerous one.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:19:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
cost and availability?

View Quote

When you look at new production factory loaded ammo, the big differences seem to be between brands and loads rather than calibers.

For example, the Winchester Super X seems to be one price across the popular calibers, the Remington Core-Lokt seems to be another price across the popular calibers, and with the PPU blue box stuff, there only seems to be a $1 or so difference between calibers. The only popular hunting cartridge that seems to have an edge on cost is .30-30.

The availability argument seems a bit odd. I've never lived anywhere that people buy their ammo at a gas station, but just about any place I've been that carries ammo is going to have all the major rifle calibers.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:19:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I stock:

9mm
12guage

View Quote

Same here...but just got the bolt rifle.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:20:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Many reasons IMO.  Reasonable cost of ammo, its' available everywhere, can harvest all but the largest north American game, mild recoil.  Military chamberings are always popular with the American shooter.  I'm sure others will chime in with plenty more
View Quote

Basically this.  It gets the job done, and well, you can find it everywhere, and surplus is still readily available (not as much aught-six surplus left now ).  Short actions are quicker to cycle.  Really, it's a damn fine cartridge.  I, personally, like bolt guns alot; no worries about gas settings, with this cycle too hard & bend the op rod, will it feed, will cast boolits gum up the gas system, etc. etc. etc.  A man with a .308 bolt is well set.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Jack of all trades. It does a LOT of stuff...well enough.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:22:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Better question is why not?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, plus many of us paired down our calibers to just a few. I used to have a variety until I started selling/trading off anything that wasn't 308/556 for rifle, .45/9mm for pistol and .22/12g.

This way I have limited ammo to buy, limited reloading components, most of which are very common and available in bulk.  

Until about a month ago I decided I just HAD to build a .300blk for my AAC 7.62 SDN6

At least it starts out as 556 brass right?

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:28:12 PM EDT
[#30]
It's well supported in the market.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:29:04 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

cost and availability?
View Quote
That , and combined with the fact that they are so good in so many classes and uses .
Maybe not best , but better than most.
I have and have had , so many cartridges that were better than the 308 , in one or two arenas .......but the 308 will always be one of my all-around favorites
ETA: I've only just started shooting the 6.5 Grendel in my AR , and it is already gaining on the 308 in my fondness . Time will tell .

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:30:25 PM EDT
[#32]
I tried to dislike .308 for years... but it's cheap to shoot, doesn't wear out your barrel in 1000 rounds, and is the easiest rifle round in the world to load for.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:30:30 PM EDT
[#33]
.308 is very accurate and extremely versatile. Can be loaded with anything from 110 to 178 grain bullets with a number of different powders to hunt varmints to elk and everything in between. (Heavier bullets than 178 can be used but they're not ideal.) This kind of performance available in a short action receiver is very desirable. Carlos Hathcock used a .308 on at least one of his tours of duty in Vietnam. Police and military sniper teams still use it today, although there has been movement to the 300 Winchester Magnum and the 338 Lapua in recent years.
But since the 308 has 40+ years of use as a sniper rifle there are reams of barrel, bullet, and power data available for shooters. It's a very easy and forgiving round to reload. It's so popular that some scope manufacturers even produced scopes pre-configured to a specific bullet shape/weight, powder, and barrel length (and twist) to simplify shooting in the field. (This was in the days before custom BDC turrets)  It requires more dial-up than the magnums and the Lapua because there's more bullet drop as it goes farther out, but it can be predicted/estimated with a high degree of accuracy.

30 caliber bullets are king here in the USA. You can buy them almost anywhere at a reasonable price. Exotics like the 338 Lapua have advantages, but it can be at a significant cost.
It also kicks a lot less than the magnums or 338 Lapua so you can shoot for a couple of hours without requiring a muzzle break or a lead sled to do so.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#34]
I tried to dislike .308 for years... but it's cheap to shoot, doesn't wear out your barrel in 1000 rounds, and is the easiest rifle round in the world to load for.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:39:02 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm of the opinion that choosing ,308 over .30-06 in a bolt gun is just plain silly.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:39:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

When you look at new production factory loaded ammo, the big differences seem to be between brands and loads rather than calibers.

View Quote

So I'm guessing that you really are not too interested in the why so much as expressing the opinion that it's incorrect to do so.

Just like some others explained.  I used to have several other super-awesome better than X calibers around.   Then ammo got tight and what I ended up shooting was pretty much limited to .308/5.56 and 9mm/.45.   I did not have money time nor interest to keep up with the others and they were sold off.   So now if I buy a rifle it's a .308.   Everything I have shot with .308 has died.   I feel no compelling reason to obtain a bolt rifle in anything other.   My rifle barrels will outlast my wallet and I can crank out several hundred rounds that compete well with Fed GMM and Hornady Match/TAP.  It's a pussy-cat to shoot as well.  Every place I go to buy bulk ammo has more options for 5.56 / .308 / .45 / and 9mm than any others.   It's not that I cant find 6mm on the shelf its that there is generally less of it.  Availability may be a red-herring anyway though.   When a run happens those are also the first to dry up in my experience.

Were I to buy my first rifle ever in a bolt-action then I might well consider magnums or other sub-30cal contenders.   But as it stands now, if I buy a rifle it will be chambered in 5.56 or .308.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:02:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

So I'm guessing that you really are not too interested in the why so much as expressing the opinion that it's incorrect to do so.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't hate .308 and I have no reason to do so.

It just seems like the most commonly stated reasons to choose it are almost non-variables.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:49:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

sure it can
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

sure it can

Of course it can, though the real question is "why would you?", when there are far better cartridges to use ie 300WM or 7mmRM
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:51:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Can do almost anything.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:55:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Well the particular rifle I wanted didn't come in .260
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

The only thing .30-06 does over .308 is slightly heavier bullets and slightly faster speeds but at the cost of recoil.  If I don't need the heavier bullets or slightly faster speeds, why would I want the extra recoil?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:58:58 PM EDT
[#42]
It is cheaper than magnums and easier to find too.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:01:09 PM EDT
[#44]

Long action vs short action.  If i go long action it will be something with substantially more ass than 30-06.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:03:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I stock:

9mm
12guage

View Quote

I like your style.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:07:05 PM EDT
[#46]
.30/06 is a LITTLE better than .308.  

If you need to step up in power, then go big.

Basically, if .308 isn't enough, then you need to at LEAST be in the .300WinMag.

I have a .308 and a RUM.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:09:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Cheap, abundant, accurate, short action, kills anything etc.  

Ive had 270's, 30 06, 300 win and i like my 308 the best.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:09:42 PM EDT
[#48]
A bolt-action is a stone-cold reliable classic that's easy to clean. .A 308 is a .30-06 that can be a pound lighter and an inch shorter and still pleasant to shoot.

Bolt-action .308's are about all I use, for everything from deer to moose. I've sold my .300 mags. Bullet technology has come so far in the past few years that I'd hunt big bears with a .308 now, too. I'm always amazed at what a 165 grain Barnes does. I shot a doe at a lased 416 yards last year. What else do you want a North American cartridge to do?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:10:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The only thing .30-06 does over .308 is slightly heavier bullets and slightly faster speeds but at the cost of recoil.  If I don't need the heavier bullets or slightly faster speeds, why would I want the extra recoil?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With .30-06, you don't have to go all the way all the time. If you reload, you can load down, and if you don't, you can buy the M1 Garand stuff. But, if you wan't more power, the option is there.

I know it's not a direct comparison, but I see buying a .308 bolt action kinda like buying the .38spl only version of the GP100.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:12:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
...and logistics isn't as much of a concern.
View Quote

LOLWUT?

For military applications, logistics is everything. For civilian applications, it still plays a big part.

Common, popular calibers such as .308 are readily available in a wide variety of loadings from many, many suppliers, giving you choice from easily accessible stocks. Uncommon calibers may present a smaller selection of loadings, and from more specialty suppliers. Particularly uncommon calibers require (or virtually require) loading your own. This is often a very big factor in choosing a firearm - if you can't feed it, or feel it is too expensive and/or time consuming to feed it, you likely aren't going to be inclined to purchase said rifle.

(And if you already have something else in .308 - say, a semi-automatic rifle, as you mentioned - why get into another caliber entirely?)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top