Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:57:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I ipad 2 running 8.0.2, let me fucking rephrase that....    

Struggling to run on 8.0.2.

Does 8.1 unfuck some of this shit?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:04:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That is just retarded.  There is no business model to force people to upgrade.  Do you expect them to write an OS that makes the powerful new device work to it's potential, but still be nerfed to the point that idiots using a 4 year old device can still run it?  It's not going to happen... as it just isn't possible.

I learned about 20 years ago that if your computer/device/whatever is at the very bottom of the minimum requirements for any new software.. don't waste your time, as it's not going to run very well to be a pleasant experience.  Sure, it'll run it, but it isn't going to be that great because of the old ass hardware people are trying to use.  

Yet all these retards are always claiming Apple has some "forced obsolescence" tactic going.  People need to realize that the iPhone 4 that they got for fucking free two years ago is 4 generations behind and isn't going to run the latest and greatest software.

The only thing Apple should do is give people the ability to downgrade the version of IOS they are using to whatever worked best before they did the recent update.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

All part of Apple's business model to force hardware upgrades.

That is just retarded.  There is no business model to force people to upgrade.  Do you expect them to write an OS that makes the powerful new device work to it's potential, but still be nerfed to the point that idiots using a 4 year old device can still run it?  It's not going to happen... as it just isn't possible.

I learned about 20 years ago that if your computer/device/whatever is at the very bottom of the minimum requirements for any new software.. don't waste your time, as it's not going to run very well to be a pleasant experience.  Sure, it'll run it, but it isn't going to be that great because of the old ass hardware people are trying to use.  

Yet all these retards are always claiming Apple has some "forced obsolescence" tactic going.  People need to realize that the iPhone 4 that they got for fucking free two years ago is 4 generations behind and isn't going to run the latest and greatest software.

The only thing Apple should do is give people the ability to downgrade the version of IOS they are using to whatever worked best before they did the recent update.

That would be the best thing but theres no perfect solution here. They are pushing things a bit by including 4/5 generations old hardware. Should probably cut it off to 3. Really though, its the chip in them that matters here. A5 devices should not get iOS 8 for example. Then these people would also lose the ability to run new apps that are iOS 7 or newer or iOS 8 and newer only. People would bitch Apple is purposely keeping them from getting new apps.

iPad 2>iPad 3>iPad 4>iPad Air>iPad Air 2

So really, the iPad 2 is 5 generations old now, and the iPad 3 is 4 generations behind. These devices should have been cut off maybe at iOS 6, and at the most iOS 7. As I said earlier the iPad 3 was really a dog out of the box anyways. Didn't have the GPU power for the screen which is why the iPad 4 came about so soon afterwards in comparison to other release cycles.

I believe iOS 7 has the ability to remove the update under settings>general>storage then look for the update if its already downloaded but not installed.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:05:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View Quote

Your iPad is 5 generations old. Time to get a new one or deal with decreased performance running a new OS designed for far more capable devices.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:07:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

I did for me.

I think Apple fucked up with the iOS 8 release. Rush to get it out, rush to get updates out.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:10:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Your iPad is 5 generations old. Time to get a new one or deal with decreased performance running a new OS designed for far more capable devices.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More capable how? I use the thing to surf the web, email, and YouTube... It's not like it was ever meant to take the place of a real computer.

I just need safari not to hang up and crash...

I think it's crazy to suggest having to drop $700 every year or 2 because of buggy software.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:12:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure, let me go shit money to replace an item the WAS working just fine before a software update was pushed without warning of potential performance degradation for older models.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:17:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

...WAS working just fine before a software update was pushed without warning of potential performance degradation for older models.
View Quote

And that's the crux of the matter.

Apple pushed this - no "'we don't recommend this for X and Y."

Every item, no matter how old, is telling its owners there is an "upgrade" available.

Fuck, how hard would it be to have that "upgrade" assess the platform and recommend against itself?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:21:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

More capable how? I use the thing to surf the web, email, and YouTube... It's not like it was ever meant to take the place of a real computer.

I just need safari not to hang up and crash...
View Quote

If you follow the stats Apple releases or even 3rd party benchmarks the iPad 2/3 are much less powerful than newer iPads. Simple as that. iOS 8 is designed around the capability of the iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2.

They aren't optimizing the current OS to work with your 5 generations old hardware.

And 'just surfing the web' changes a lot every year. Sites get more bloated, complicated, consume more resources, ect. Web browsing would be extremely fast if we were all dealing with sites designed 10 years ago.

Apps get bigger, do more stuff, and also consume more resources. The OS itself does more stuff, and consumes more resources.

Newer devices handle all these tasks and load a lot better than something that is 5 generations old.

Have you tried any trouble shooting? How do you typically update your iPad? Through the device itself or through iTunes? When was the last time it was restored and setup as new if ever? Have you turned a lot of the background processes off? Location settings?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:24:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Sure, let me go shit money to replace an item the WAS working just fine before a software update was pushed without warning of potential performance degradation for older models.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because its common sense, and effects every type of electronics. Older devices are not as fast as newer ones. And maybe people should hold off on updating and wait to see what others are reporting. People just hit update, and then bitch about it later.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:26:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Every item, no matter how old, is telling its owners there is an "upgrade" available.

Fuck, how hard would it be to have that "upgrade" assess the platform and recommend against itself?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

...WAS working just fine before a software update was pushed without warning of potential performance degradation for older models.

I already said they should cut off older devices sooner. The iPad 2 should still be on iOS 6.

But instead people would then turn around and bitch how the device they just bought isn't getting anymore updates. Catch 22.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:28:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Because its common sense, and effects every type of electronics. Older devices are not as fast as newer ones. And maybe people should hold off on updating and wait to see what others are reporting. People just hit update, and then bitch about it later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When your device tells you there is an update available, with no such caveats?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:29:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I already said they should cut off older devices sooner. The iPad 2 should still be on iOS 6.

But instead people would then turn around and bitch how the device they just bought isn't getting anymore updates. Catch 22.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, not Catch 22.  Reality.  People would understand if the updates were only recommended for newer devices.  Then, they could make an informed decision.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:43:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

No, not Catch 22.  Reality.  People would understand if the updates were only recommended for newer devices.  Then, they could make an informed decision.
View Quote

People have a responsibility, here, too. Its not ALL on Apple. Electronics ALL suffer from performance degradation as software moves forward but their hardware stays the same. Do people expect their 5 year old PC to run as fast as a brand new machine with a new OS? I hope not. Seems like people expect their 5 generations old hardware to perform as when it was new because they don't want to spend the money on a newer device.

There are all kinds of articles out there about iOS 8 on the iPad 2. And Ill say it for a 3rd time. Apple needs to cut off devices sooner than they are, and just deal with people complaining about not getting updates.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:48:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

People have a responsibility, here, too. Its not ALL on Apple. Electronics ALL suffer from performance degradation as software moves forward but their hardware stays the same. Do people expect their 5 year old PC to run as fast as a brand new machine with a new OS? I hope not. Seems like people expect their 5 generations old hardware to perform as when it was new because they don't want to spend the money on a newer device.

There are all kinds of articles out there about iOS 8 on the iPad 2. And Ill say it for a 3rd time. Apple needs to cut off devices sooner than they are, and just deal with people complaining about not getting updates.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plenty of people with "newer devices" who also still have older ones.  Most get passed down to others, I'd guess.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:50:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually this does hget laid at the feet of Apple.
I've built my own computers for the last 14 years, repaired many many machines and had lots of hands on work with computers, software installation and hardware management for an entire damn squadron's computer systems. I'm no newbie to technology.

Apple has set up a system in which the user is pretty much told the system needs an update. That's it, nothing else. Just "update available".
I actually prefer my apple items over my Microsoft ones in many instances, but at Microsoft hasnt bend me over my machine like this.

"Buy a new one" isn't an option every time a new gadget comes out, as much as I'd like it to be but "I got bills n shit" Kat Willaims.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:09:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

So it's not just me?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Downloading it now, for an iPad 3. I'll do my iPhone 5s later.

Hopefully, this fixes an annoying problem with Safari and my needing to constantly refresh pages when returning from another app (or tab). For whatever reason, it happens most on arfcom, too.

So it's not just me?

Ditto, or now after the update if you back to the prior tab with ARFcom on it the page is blank...fuck you Apple, I'm tired of your shit already.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:13:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but Apple knows that their stuff is used by some of the most technologically illiterate people on the planet, and instead of not releasing updates for hardware they KNOW will have issues running it, they just release it for everyone and cop out "tough shit if it's broke now, we have new ipads on sale for $699.99!"
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:23:32 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Yes, but Apple knows that their stuff is used by some of the most technologically illiterate people on the planet, and instead of not releasing updates for hardware they KNOW will have issues running it, they just release it for everyone and cop out "tough shit if it's broke now, we have new ipads on sale for $699.99!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

8.1 is supposed to fix some stuff in the iPad 2. X.0 updates are always buggy. 7.1 greatly improved performance on the iPhone 4 (which didn't get 8). There are always stuff that needs to be fixed. Last year the 5S didn't get even 7.0. They had an update to 7.0.1 before people even bought them.

Apple isn't doing anything intentional so people go buy new iPads or iPhones. In fact I would think people would be more likely to go buy a new one if they stopped getting updated entirely after 2 or 3 generations.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:37:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Just made my first Apple pay purchase.
I was able to get my chase card loaded in and just payed at subway. I was kind of confused at how to use it before I got there. I opened passbook, but there was nothing obvious in there to make it work. So when I got to the register I just had the phone open to the home screen and held it close to the reader. It automatically popped up with a picture of the card I was using and asked for my touch id. Placed my thumb on the reader and a second or two later i got a beep and buzz. Done. Easy peazy!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:20:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I was able to get my chase card loaded in and just payed at subway. I was kind of confused at how to use it before I got there. I opened passbook, but there was nothing obvious in there to make it work. So when I got to the register I just had the phone open to the home screen and held it close to the reader. It automatically popped up with a picture of the card I was using and asked for my touch id. Placed my thumb on the reader and a second or two later i got a beep and buzz. Done. Easy peazy!
View Quote

Great.  Now the thieves will cut your thumb off when they steal your iphone.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:22:26 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote
you supposedly don't even need to have it at the home screen.  It will trigger the device if you are near a NFC terminal.
Will try today at McDonalds.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:27:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That is just retarded.  There is no business model to force people to upgrade.  Do you expect them to write an OS that makes the powerful new device work to it's potential, but still be nerfed to the point that idiots using a 4 year old device can still run it? It's not going to happen... as it just isn't possible.

View Quote

Point, the first: Yes. People shouldn't suck Apple cock so hard that they knock their heads in Tim Cook's gold-plated belt buckle and say stupid shit like hardware from a mere 4 years ago is old and busted, or that an OS shouldn't be able to run equally well on hardware from 2010 or 2014.

Point, the second: And not doing so is....forced obsolescence.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:37:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:29:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:11:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:29:31 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Point, the first: Yes. People shouldn't suck Apple cock so hard that they knock their heads in Tim Cook's gold-plated belt buckle and say stupid shit like hardware from a mere 4 years ago is old and busted, or that an OS shouldn't be able to run equally well on hardware from 2010 or 2014.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That is just retarded.  There is no business model to force people to upgrade.  Do you expect them to write an OS that makes the powerful new device work to it's potential, but still be nerfed to the point that idiots using a 4 year old device can still run it? It's not going to happen... as it just isn't possible.

lol

So Apple can push an update that magically turns a 5 generations old piece of hardware into the new 2014 version?

When the iPad 2 came out iMessage was not even around! I don't get why people think a device which is 5 generations old should be able to run a new OS, which is FAR more advanced than what came with the device at launch, just as good as the day it was new with an OS that didn't even include Messages! When the iPad 2 was launched it came with iOS 4 which is ancient and dinosaur compared to what iOS is doing today. So no, its not going to run just as good as a brand new model which is far better hardware wise.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

installed last night on my 5.

i don't see any difference at all, nor any new features... meh.
View Quote

Most of iOS 8 deals with expanded app capabilities like installing widgets in the notification center, and using Touch ID for more than device unlocking. Your 5 can't make use of the Touch ID stuff but I do like the widgets in notification center. Then Apple Pay only works with the 6.

The other new stuff only works if you have a Mac or an iPad for SMS and call forwarding. iCloud has also been updated to have a Dropbox or Google Drive like functionality.

Family Sharing is also new, and theres stuff like sending your location through iMessage.

Overall I think iOS 8 is a huge new feature set but you really need a new phone to make use of all they are doing. I really like being able to use Touch ID to unlock apps themselves, and the Health app logs a lot of useful data (only 5S and 6).
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:38:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:41:37 AM EDT
[#29]
U
Quoted:

Did you bother to spend 30 seconds googling whether or not you should have installed the new OS?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you bother to spend 30 seconds googling whether or not you should have installed the new OS?

Do you bother to look up if your car REALLY needs a recall procedure done?
Do you bother to see if your anti-virus needs updating?
Do you bother to see if your windows update really needs to be ran and installed?
Do you bother to see if your Adobe or any other program really needs updating?
No, because you expect a company that you paid a decent sum of money for a product won't fuck it up with a software patch it pushes through and has conditioned its users to click and start.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:45:57 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Which is why I think it may not be a hardware issue.
View Quote

Arfcom is definitely the worst.  I check my Chrome memory usage sometimes and the "My Subscriptions" tab will me taking up 180MB.

On iPads with 512MB of RAM, and loading desktop versions of websites, that type of RAM usage is absolutely a reason why pages are blanking out and/or reloading. Even 1GB, like the Air has, isn't near enough. Once you use the thing for a little while I guarantee all of the RAM is being used all of the time, and just the way RAM works it ejects things like a tab in Safari when you go and do something else. Even opening a new tab or switching tabs. I got sick of it with our Air to where you couldn't even cut/copy/paste text from one tab to another without losing what I was doing. Sold that, and Ill stick to a laptop. People with 512MB iPads will have it worse. There are some websites that just eat up a lot of active RAM. Some sites would even cause Safari to crash with 7.0.X just because they were so large the page could not be loaded with the available RAM at all.

I have on tab on my Mac open for ar15.com and activity monitor says its using 346MB of RAM. And the actual Safari app is another load. Not the same as iOS Safari but still.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:48:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:50:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Like I said earlier in this thread; this is similar to assuming a Windows 98 or XP era computer will run just as fast with Windows 8 as a current generation computer.  It's just not gonna happen.

edited for quote derp on my part.
View Quote

Actually, your typical new PC from 2010 would probably be somewhat faster running Win 8.1 today.

Face it. Apple should have a regression path for updates, and they shouldn't advertise major updates to older platforms.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:51:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Just updated my iPhone 5, no issues.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:52:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Actually, your typical new PC from 2010 would probably be somewhat faster running Win 8.1 today.

Face it. Apple should have a regression path for updates, and they shouldn't advertise major updates to older platforms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Like I said earlier in this thread; this is similar to assuming a Windows 98 or XP era computer will run just as fast with Windows 8 as a current generation computer.  It's just not gonna happen.

Assuming all of the device drivers work.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:52:06 AM EDT
[#35]
With the last update, when my cell rings my iPad and MacBook all start ringing too. Pretty funny, now our African Grey has 2 new annoying rings to copy
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:56:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Works fine.

Can't wait to use Apple Pay.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:57:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Working flawlessly with my iPhone 6. Also, updated my Macbook Pro to Yosemite. Really like how it all works together.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Iphone 5c.

Did it yesterday. No issues.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:04:24 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote
You don't even have to wake your phone, let alone open passbook.

Just hold the phone near the NFC device, it automatically turns on and opens Apple Pay. (Saw this on YouTube vids).
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:09:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Working well on my 5. Its kinda cool that you can take or make a call from your computer and switch it over to your phone.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:11:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:14:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

My iPad is running better with 8.1 than it was with 8.0.2(I think )

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tagged for more updates.

My iPad is running better with 8.1 than it was with 8.0.2(I think )

Same here with iPad 4 and iPhone 5
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:28:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Anyone else having an issue with ending facetime calls and it freezing.
You cannot close out of it if you double click the home button and swipe up, it wont close the app, and it just says ending facetime call. Only way to close it is to restart phone.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:40:26 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

With the last update, when my cell rings my iPad and MacBook all start ringing too. Pretty funny, now our African Grey has 2 new annoying rings to copy
View Quote

You can change the ringtones on Yosemite. And the SMS tone. If you use Apple's stock tones you can make them all the same.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:52:38 AM EDT
[#45]
So to use the apple pay, do you have to have your phone right up against the terminal to initiate the process ?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:45:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

All of those are PATCHES.  This is a major OS release.  Why would you NOT look it up to see, at the very least, if there are some bugs you should be aware of?  It's common sense.
View Quote

Tell you what, I'll strive to model myself after you, His Excellency, who obviously is on top of everything. May we all know all just like you.

ETA: That's tongue in cheek mirth, this is not a topic to get seriously pissy with eachother on.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:45:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

A PC from 2010 isn't 5 generations old.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And 4 years ago isn't long enough to obsolete a tablet.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:47:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Christ, it's been that long already?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:48:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, this is the epitome of a typical Apple customer....

They knew damn well that it wouldn't work well with the older tech. They recently stopped signing older iterations of iOS, in fact anything before 8 is unavailable for signature.
Why you ask? To force you to buy the newest hardware...

Rebel... why are you so far up Apple's ass?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top