Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/20/2014 12:59:54 PM EDT
Dang, it was smooth.

I work at a private school.  The bosses put on a wine and cheese party this weekend.  On the tables were some home-made cheeses (delicious), home-made wine, and some moonshine.  One of the teachers had fermented the mash himself and had it distilled by someone else.

I was expecting something pretty violent.  I don't like hard liquor, dry wines, or overly bitter beers.  But this stuff tasted quite good.  I would purchase a bottle of if for personal enjoyment if available.

Is this typical for moonshine made by a responsible party as opposed to some guy in the hills using lead-sealed car radiators?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:01:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes and no.  In GA a lot of the old time moonshine guys went legit and have their own brands in liquor stores.  I've also had radiator moonshine that was good and others that were nasty.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:01:29 PM EDT
[#2]
The only moonshine I've had was store bought (if you even consider that moonshine) and it was rough lol
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:03:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Dawsonville is pretty good moonshine.  It tastes kind of like corn husks or old paper, like the smell of a library book or a report card.  They distill it in the same building as city hall.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:07:36 PM EDT
[#4]
He might have watered it down a bunch.  It gets pretty smooth when it's really watered down.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:14:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes and no.  In GA a lot of the old time moonshine guys went legit and have their own brands in liquor stores.  I've also had radiator moonshine that was good and others that were nasty.
View Quote

This, we have several 'legal' offerings here but it's cut to 80%. The flavored ones are good for mixing and while smooth I'm not a fan to drink straight. I have had backwoods stuff that would shame good Whisky but I've had some rottgut stuff too. Hell, the town of Dawsonville has a fully operation still in city hall and a yearly Moonshine Festival.

I personally wouldn't drink anything unless I knew exactly where it came from, while most bootleggers do quality stuff some don't.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Knew a local bar owner that had family down in the hills of West Virginia.  During the holidays he would come back with some moonshine and share it a few of us after hours.

Stuff was good and I would get a warm rush while drinking it.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:36:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Dang, it was smooth.

I work at a private school.  The bosses put on a wine and cheese party this weekend.  On the tables were some home-made cheeses (delicious), home-made wine, and some moonshine.  One of the teachers had fermented the mash himself and had it distilled by someone else.

I was expecting something pretty violent.  I don't like hard liquor, dry wines, or overly bitter beers.  But this stuff tasted quite good.  I would purchase a bottle of if for personal enjoyment if available.

Is this typical for moonshine made by a responsible party as opposed to some guy in the hills using lead-sealed car radiators?
View Quote

Most of the good homemade stuff isn't made with intent to sell. They make batches big enough for their own use and some friends. Larger ops that are trying to cut a tax free profit are going to cut some corners. It's not impossible to find good bulk stuff but you are better off having a good friend who makes it in small batches and gives a damn about the quality over quality.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:37:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I had some moonshine out of a small bottle labeled "western mountain yee haw juice"

it was over 20 years old and damn if it wasn't some of the smoothest stuff I've ever had
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:52:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Dang, it was smooth.
View Quote

Sorry, but you didn't have real moonshine...
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:52:47 PM EDT
[#10]
The stuff they sell now in the mason jars isn't bad.  The Apple Pie is pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I wasn't aware that you could buy moonshine at the store?  I prefer mine with peaches or some apples with cinnamon sticks.  

Helps when half of my family is from Lynchburg va.....
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I wasn't aware that you could buy moonshine at the store?  I prefer mine with peaches or some apples with cinnamon sticks.  

Helps when half of my family is from Lynchburg va.....
View Quote

My father-in-law is county folk from southern Albemarle County.   There's a ton of the real stuff down there.  He always keeps some for medicinal purposes.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:59:42 PM EDT
[#13]
meh...Moonshine should be tax free and taste like freedom.  If you bought it from the ABC or package store it aint shine.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:02:29 PM EDT
[#14]
The legit versions of some family recipes can be really really tasty.  

Popcorn Sutton's family still makes his stuff now that they put together the quarter million pay to play bond Big Brother requires.  

Midnight Moon brand makes a 70 proof apple pie that is so smooth and tastes so good you should only ever have one jar in the house at once.  

One jar shared out among 3 or 4 people is good.  2 jars is a recipe for not getting anything done the next day, and even if you say you won't crack a second jar, you will if it's there.  

It's that good.  

I was passed a jar of "honeydew" once at a BBQ festival and it was like drinking a rich smooth honeydew melon.  Wish I'd been able to snag a case of that stuff.

Bottom line:  A good craftsman can make awesome stuff whether or not he can afford to pay off the tyrants and get a license to ply his trade.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:02:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Moonshine can range from mother's milk to bad gasoline.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:07:13 PM EDT
[#16]
My uncle has been making his own shine for near 40 years. Smooth as it comes. He makes some apple moonshine (with green apples) from time to time that is actually refreshing on a hot day.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:10:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dang, it was smooth.

This..

If it wont start a 4-wheeler it's not real moonshine.

I use to get a half gallon from a buddy I went to high school with every year, that shit was about as far from smooth as you can get. Moonshine, by definition, is not smooth. It's pure ethanol.

What you had is probably a water-moonshine cocktail.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:14:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dang, it was smooth.

This.  Real moonshine that hasn't been cut is pretty rough.  Like drinking shots of Golden Grain/Everclear.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:34:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This.  Real moonshine that hasn't been cut is pretty rough.  Like drinking shots of Golden Grain/Everclear.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dang, it was smooth.  

THIS  Last time I had raw moonshine, it ate through the Styrofoam cup I was drinking it from.  Lifted the cup to take a second swallow and felt something running down my arm.  I looked and the bottom of the cup was dissolving.  Damn strong stuff.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:45:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This, we have several 'legal' offerings here but it's cut to 80%. The flavored ones are good for mixing and while smooth I'm not a fan to drink straight. I have had backwoods stuff that would shame good Whisky but I've had some rottgut stuff too. Hell, the town of Dawsonville has a fully operation still in city hall and a yearly Moonshine Festival.

I personally wouldn't drink anything unless I knew exactly where it came from, while most bootleggers do quality stuff some don't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You must mean cut down to 80 proof (40% alcohol), as 80% (percent)  moonshine would be 160 proof, and be getting close to everclear.  Anything over about 140 proof burns like the dickens because of the intensity of the alcohol's effect on mucous membranes.  

For those who don't know, 200 proof equals 100% alcohol.  100 proof equals 50% alcohol.  Most liquors over 100 proof are considered to be cask strength.  You can buy scotch whiskey in cask strength, but it is normally consumed with a little water added.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:03:31 PM EDT
[#21]
There is tons of people that make it. Its not hard to do and a very fun hobby.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:11:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You must mean cut down to 80 proof (40% alcohol), as 80% (percent)  moonshine would be 160 proof, and be getting close to everclear.  Anything over about 140 proof burns like the dickens because of the intensity of the alcohol's effect on mucous membranes.  

For those who don't know, 200 proof equals 100% alcohol.  100 proof equals 50% alcohol.  Most liquors over 100 proof are considered to be cask strength.  You can buy scotch whiskey in cask strength, but it is normally consumed with a little water added.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never known anyone that actually liked drinking straight everclear.  You gotta cut it with something.  Depending on what you use, you can make good grain alcohol awesome or awful.  

You can also just dump in a pint of marashino cherries with their juice, fill the quart with grain, and let it set a spell.  Then chill it down and serve em at parties.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:15:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I was in a laboratory several years ago and was amused by a permit from the state Alcoholic Beverage Control board hanging on the wall.  It was for the bottle of Everclear they kept on hand for when they needed ethyl alcohol.  

Everclear must be some pretty clean alcohol if they use it for lab work.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:17:34 PM EDT
[#24]
I've got 2 jars of Jim Tom's recipie shine from sugarlands shine, a jar of sweet tea "shine", and 2 jars of blackberry "shine" from old smoky in gatlinburg. Didn't try the Jim tom stuff yet, but the jar of white lightning I got last year from old smoky and I tried again while there burns like fire all the way to my toes.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Should be legal
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:28:44 PM EDT
[#26]
A couple years ago I got some watermelon moonshine from some NY guys. It was excellent and the only moonshine I can remember that didn't taste like rubbing alcohol.

Granted, I'm not very versed in the moonshine world so that could have been my first taste of real moonshine.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:32:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Post 87 in a moonshine thread.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:36:12 PM EDT
[#28]
I find it interesting that someone would leave moonshine just sitting around for the uninitiated to sample.  Around these parts that usually ends with someone up on the roof of the barn or shooting the neighbor's goat. Theoretically speaking, of course, since moonshine is illegal and nobody I know would ever violate that law.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#29]

I had some apple flavored a few months ago made by a guy here in Texas.
It was dam good.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:59:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Dang, it was smooth.

View Quote

If it is done right it is always that smooth.  

I love me some good shine.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:14:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This..

If it wont start a 4-wheeler it's not real moonshine.

I use to get a half gallon from a buddy I went to high school with every year, that shit was about as far from smooth as you can get. Moonshine, by definition, is not smooth. It's pure ethanol.

What you had is probably a water-moonshine cocktail.
View Quote

I'll also agree with that sentiment.

My grandfather was slightly insane, having lived through the Depression, WWII in Germany, being housed in an internment camp post-war, and getting his legs crushed.  He drank through a lot of tough times.  He knew how to handle (and make) alcohol, and had even gone as far as drinking perfume.  

My father had a friend who moved to a dry county in TN (I think), where his relatives were.  Everyone made moonshine, and this guy's stuff was supposed to be top-notch.  He would sometimes visit my father, and bring a couple of jars of moonshine - one jar of "white lightning", and another jar of brown, barrel-aged moonshine.  The clear stuff of course, was as close to pure ethanol as one can get with a home still.

Now, my grandfather only drank on extremely-rare occasion as he got older.  However, he still had an inhuman tolerance.  Nothing made the guy flinch.  One day, he asked to try some of the white lightning.  He dumped some in his cup, which was probably the equivalent of three shots, and slammed it.  Even he had to scrunch his face at the power of the moonshine.  Of course, he asked for more afterward, but it was still certainly not smooth going down.  Again, this was stuff that was considered to be top-shelf, as far as moonshine goes.

In my mind, real moonshine equals straight ethanol, or pretty damned close.  I don't see how that could ever be construed as smooth.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Real shine should be tempered with good spring water to 90-100 proof. If you get any over 100 proof no one is doing you any favors, I can guarantee that. It should have a slight bite and give you a nice warm glow afterwards. Allegedly, sweet-feed makes some real smooth shine.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:27:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Hope Joe Bob did a good heads cut.  Methanol is not good for sippin'.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:28:18 PM EDT
[#34]
I was given a bottle of shine by a client on Friday. He made it. Good stuff.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:32:06 PM EDT
[#35]
As good as anywhere to post this one.

http://www.hallettsville.com/BeerWineMoonshineFestival.htm

I only see one distillery listed, and nothing illegal

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:38:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:43:29 PM EDT
[#37]
buncha proud criminals in here....
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#38]
The only shine i've had was smooooooooooooth

Better than storebought
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, my bad.  80 proof
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:22:45 PM EDT
[#40]

The Popcorn Sutton is OK.

The 'Ole Smokey' whit lightning is triple distilled and cut and very clean.

But none of it touches the real local stuff.

I like the previous posters comment "tax free and tastes like freedom"

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:26:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Are you still hungover. I had real moonshine once. And will not have it again.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:31:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Shine runs the gamut from spring water with attitude to bad kerosene.

I have fond memories with a kind soul who later drowned of drinking the former at a deer camp in Arkansas back in the 80's

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:36:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dang, it was smooth.

Old boy rode through this area on their way to The Black Hills Motor Cycle Rally. Asked if we'd like some of his home made stump hole. You want ice for it? Ain't nothin gonna cool this batch down  Yea haw, good thing i wasn't much of a drinker by then.  Had a bite live the ex wife's attorney.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:38:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Never had real 'shine but I'd love to try it.

I'd love to see the Federal government lift restrictions on home distilling for personal consumption like they did with home brewing. X number of gallons per year/family member with a maximum of x number of gallons. I'd get in on that in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:55:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dang, it was smooth.

Both wrong. "Real" moonshine is just liquor that hasn't had a tax paid on it. You can make moonshine vodka, whiskey, brandy, rum, etc.

There's a big false stigma about moonshine, but in reality most moonshiners worth a damn will not bottle shit straight out of the still to sell. They will cut it down to a more normal proofing, 100 tops, but more likely 70-90.

Just like any other liquor, depending on who makes it, and how much work they put in, you can get something real smooth, or something rough as fuck.

The vast majority of "legal moonshine" on the market now is put out by people who are using a family recipe. Only difference in their moonshine, and the illegal shine of those in their family who made it prior, is they have paid the taxes to be a legit distiller.

Awful lot of false mystique added to tax free liquor, when in truth, most of the time, it's the same shit you buy at the store, minus taxes and regulation.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:58:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

You post this in all the weed threads?...
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:10:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dang, it was smooth.

Sorry Frank but good shine doesn't have to melt glass, corrode gold OR burn all your taste buds out. My family down in Tn has been making it for over 150 years and it is very smooth and mellow.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:36:48 PM EDT
[#48]
real moonshine is made for the alcohol

anyone who made you something that tasted good/smooth

likely added the flavor/smoothness

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:45:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Youre fucking joking right?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:45:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Knowing him? Probably
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top