Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:08:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm with you OP.

I always try to help people when I can but I am so jaded now it's not even funny.

I see the commercials for the food bank and how children are going hungry in America and I always yell bullshit right to the screen.

If their parents stopped the pack a day habit and canceled the cable TV they would be able to afford milk.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:09:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Its voluntary for the teacher, who controls your kids' grades, etc., to send your kids home to obtain the items to fulfill the wish lists?   That's voluntary?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Voluntary charity which what this is, is good. Don't like it? Don't participate. State enforced charity is what I have a problem with. Don't pay for long enough you go to jail.

Its voluntary for the teacher, who controls your kids' grades, etc., to send your kids home to obtain the items to fulfill the wish lists?   That's voluntary?

If you suspect your child's teacher is grading (grades below High School are largely meaningless) based on voluntary holiday charity participation I would start looking for another teacher, school or private school.

What will actually happen if you don't participate. Nothing.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:09:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Can you request .22LR ?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:09:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Does anyone here work for a company that "encourages you to give your fair share" to the United Way, or some other such organization?  This is really no different, except that it's directed at children.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:10:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I helped the YMCA deliver baskets in high school.

I didn't really see anyone that looked well off getting them. But that was in the early-mid 80's.
View Quote

my senior year of high school, we fed a family. it was the first time i knew what it meant to be a MAN.
we went to their house both parents worked, but were poor.

seems a lot of folks think everyone is born well off, the reality is some people just scrape by day to day.

will these people die if christmas is canceled? nope, but wouldn't it be nice to open a gift under the tree,
and have a decent dinner?

again if you do not want to donate, just tell them to pound sand. there are plenty of people willing to give.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:13:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I need scotch and cigarettes. Where do I sign up?
View Quote

same
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:14:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:14:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
my senior year of high school, we fed a family. it was the first time i knew what it meant to be a MAN.

seems a lot of folks think everyone is born well off, the reality is some people just scrape by day to day.

will these people die if christmas is canceled? nope, but wouldn't it be nice to open a gift under the tree,

again if you do not want to donate, just tell them to pound sand. there are plenty of people willing to give.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't really see anyone that looked well off getting them. But that was in the early-mid 80's.

Yep.  There are families that are truly in the shit.  A sick child and medical bills can be crushing to a family with poor insurance, especially if you end up where one parent must stay at home to care for the kid.

At that point, even a good job simply isn't enough to pay the bills, and it's an utterly exhausting way to live.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:14:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Voluntary charity which what this is, is good. Don't like it? Don't participate. State enforced charity is what I have a problem with. Don't pay for long enough you go to jail.

The letter you posted seemed more about signing up to receive a basket than any kind of compulsion to contribute to a basket.

Did I miss something?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:16:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I put a stop to this shit with my kids years ago.

The straw that broke the camel's back was the "Angel Tree" (FSA Loot...) that their youth group participated in each year. You'd go get an "Angel" from the Christmas tree down at the local mall and look at what the "kid" request and then buy the NEW request and put it under the tree with the "Angel" attached.

The "Request" was a pair of name-brand sneakers (nicer than what I buy for myself...) in size 13EEE. ( I'm 50+ and I wear 11D)

Any "kid" that wears 13EEE is big enough to go get a JOB and buy his OWN damn Nikes.

I caught some shit from the wife because it was one of the few times that I had to play the "DAD" card (because I friggin' say so...NO ARGUMENTS ALLOWED) but my decision stands...we NEVER do the "Angel Tree" or any other FSA gimme's like that, EVER again.

View Quote

A co-worker of mine runs an angel tree program through work.  Every year she border-line harasses everyone if they are going to donate.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:20:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The letter you posted seemed more about signing up to receive a basket than any kind of compulsion to contribute to a basket.

Did I miss something?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did I miss something?

Its a two step process.  In November they compile the "requests" and then the teachers lean on the kids in their classes to fulfill the requests.   I'll post one of those letters when it comes in.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:21:47 PM EDT
[#13]
We sponsored a family one year that was poor.............I will never forget the look on their faces when we brought gifts and food. The father broke down in tears, as did the mother, and he vowed that he would pay every cent he was given back. He now has a stable job and his family has what they need............and he contributes to the poor as well. I dont mind helping if it's needed but it does get old to see those who dont need it going from place to place to get all they can

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:23:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:25:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Its a two step process.  In November they compile the "requests" and then the teachers lean on the kids in their classes to fulfill the requests.   I'll post one of those letters when it comes in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did I miss something?

in that case i understand your frustration.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:27:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Whiteout selected ______ families and write in "FSA"
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:30:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We sponsored a family one year that was poor.............I will never forget the look on their faces when we brought gifts and food. The father broke down in tears, as did the mother, and he vowed that he would pay every cent he was given back. He now has a stable job and his family has what they need............and he contributes to the poor as well. I dont mind helping if it's needed but it does get old to see those who dont need it going from place to place to get all they can

View Quote

There is nothing more personally satisfying than helping those that truly need help. It just seems like it's so hard to actually find people that "need" help.

Maybe it's just my area, but the FSA run rather rampant and live about as well as I do but without the same effort put forth to maintain it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:36:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
There is nothing more personally satisfying than helping those that truly need help. It just seems like it's so hard to actually find people that "need" help.

Maybe it's just my area, but the FSA run rather rampant and live about as well as I do but without the same effort put forth to maintain it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Some, but not all, churches can help you find those truly in need.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:46:24 PM EDT
[#19]
As an agnostic, living in a Christian society, I even get into the mood of the holiday season.  I cannot swallow much of the contents in the Bible, but I do dig the emphasis that Jesus placed on helping those less fortunate and gladly donate 10-15% of my family's holiday budget to local charities.  Yes-people can be pushy about pressuring others to donate and yes-some FSA fucktards ask for shit they don't need, but that is their problem and doesn't piss on my holiday cheer.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:48:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Forget the libs and their redistribution schemes for a moment. This is charity. Giving freely of ourselves is what we are called to do, especially at Christmas time. There is a higher power, who has instructed us to live our lives serving each other. What better way to show them what Christmas is all about. They can try to take Christ out of Christmas, but every year, Christians step up to the plate at the holiday season and put differences aside and give a tremendous amount out of the goodness of their hearts. We do it because it is the right thing to do and it's what Jesus would want us to do. It is up to us to keep the spirit of Christmas alive and to show others what it looks like to act like a Christian. That is the best thing we can do in the face of politics and class warfare and all the other crap. Just keep giving and keep believing, it sends the strongest message and it is the best way to piss off the libs anyway.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The straw that broke the camel's back was the "Angel Tree" (FSA Loot...) that their youth group participated in each year. You'd go get an "Angel" from the Christmas tree down at the local mall and look at what the "kid" request and then buy the NEW request and put it under the tree with the "Angel" attached.

The "Request" was a pair of name-brand sneakers (nicer than what I buy for myself...) in size 13EEE. ( I'm 50+ and I wear 11D)

Any "kid" that wears 13EEE is big enough to go get a JOB and buy his OWN damn Nikes.

I caught some shit from the wife because it was one of the few times that I had to play the "DAD" card (because I friggin' say so...NO ARGUMENTS ALLOWED) but my decision stands...we NEVER do the "Angel Tree" or any other FSA gimme's like that, EVER again.

View Quote

I wore a 13EEE as a 12 year old...  

ETA: I was working in hay fields since 10 though.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:07:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stomping out fires?  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:08:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Stomping out fires?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stomping out fires?  

LOL
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:10:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The forms included do not even ask about income level.   They ask what you want in your basket, what size, color and quantity (in english and spanish) but nothing about income.
View Quote

Great!  I'll take 5.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:13:11 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't have any problem making a kids Christmas better.  I feel bad for kids that have shitty parents or have parents that can't afford to get them stuff for Christmas.  We have a giving tree at work every year.  There are tickets with requests for age appropriate gifts.  I make it a point to fill at least three of the ticket requests.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:18:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Last year we sent the kid back to school with $50 worth of canned food and staples (corn flour, peanut butter, etc).

His teacher asked him why he didn't bring any of his toys or something like that since she was "sure he had some he was done with."

The kid came home (4th grader) feeling bad because the teacher told him he didn't do his charity correctly.    That's the coercive power of the teacher vs a viz the kids I'm talking about here.

I'm not giving these assholes shit this year, and our family will do our giving as we see fit through other channels.
View Quote

It's vis a vis, not vs a viz.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:20:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Betcha anything that all of the basket takers have cable TV, cell phones and already get plenty of free groceries on the backs of the taxpayers.

There was a time when I would have felt good about donating to a cause such as this but our the 'needy' in this country have turned into 'wanty', I no longer feel compelled to donate to a cause such as this.

View Quote

Yup! That's  why,  aside from some canned goods to a local food pantry,  I am now only directly helping those I know to be in need. For example,  an older woman in my church  is having  a really tough time of it.  I send her grocery store gift cards anonymously  through  the mail.

ETA: for some years  I helped organize gifts through churches that went to foster kids in Cook County  through Children  and Family Services.  I saw please type of kids asking for laptops,  icons,  video games.  I quit having anything to do with it when I repeatedly  saw kids asking for 18K gold chains.  This was on the wish list for kids as young as 4. The most expensive  gift I saw kids ask for that was actually bought was a bicycle (multiple  families  often went in as a group to buy it).

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:33:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Our local Dept Social Services has a program to buy foster kids presents for Christmas. I had the same girl for four years. She never requested anything but clothes and shoes. I spent about $1000 to $1500 on that young lady a year. I bought her gift cards for the clothes and I always bought her a nice gift.

I grew up poor and know what it's like to go to school with nothing. That girl had nice clothes and shoes to wear. I never met her but always got a handwritten letter of thanks.

One of my friends buys 10 bicycles a year for this program. A neighbor gets 3 kids a year. Kids don't have a say in their parents shitty decisions. Find a charity you know helps the kids and give if you can. Mike
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:52:24 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Yep. There are families that are truly in the shit. A sick child and medical bills can be crushing to a family with poor insurance, especially if you end up where one parent must stay at home to care for the kid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep. There are families that are truly in the shit. A sick child and medical bills can be crushing to a family with poor insurance, especially if you end up where one parent must stay at home to care for the kid.

At that point, even a good job simply isn't enough to pay the bills, and it's an utterly exhausting way to live.
Every year they post daily sob stories in the paper, so you can "help them" .   Those stories don't even begin to match what you describe. They don't even go to the trouble to mask their poor choices and unrealistic expectations.

After reading them day after day you get a little cynical over who needs help, and who is getting help.

And that's the difference. It's not always the people needing the help that's getting it.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:54:55 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You've got to be making this up. There are never any fathers in the stories around here. Not at home.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:55:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I assume I am supposed to be outraged but am unclear as to why?
View Quote

Get with the program, Lefty.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:57:14 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They live very well indeed.

It's like the system is stacked against those that truly need it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:57:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I would complete and return the form.

Granted, this doesn't seem like a real government program, but the only way to kill the monster is to bleed it out.  Everyone should take full advantage of every single free shit program there is.
View Quote

If it bleeds we can kill it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:58:17 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I trust their judgment more than a government institutions judgment.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:58:49 PM EDT
[#35]
If you are NOT home schooling, it's your own damn fault.

(Posted in smug self satisfaction)

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:58:55 PM EDT
[#36]
They can take their happy holidays bullshit and shove it up their humbug asses.

And I'll pardon you if you don't feel obliged to give free shit to people who somehow
can't manage to afford a decent Christmas Eve Dinner with the $500 they receive in
EBT each month.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:01:26 PM EDT
[#37]
any special needs you may have
View Quote

I guess you could have some fun with that part.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:01:46 PM EDT
[#38]
After seeing how all the free breakfast and lunch students throw away most of the food or sell it to other students; and trash the supplies the school the school gives them, I would not donate a dime.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:14:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I send my kid to private school.  I made that choice.    I get a kick out of people complaining when they send their kids to a welfare school.   OP pays taxes, but his taxes do not cover the cost of his kid's education.  The rest of us are covering that.

Replace school with food stamps or health insurance.  I know how AR15 feels about parents who cannot afford to have kids.  I agree with this sentiment.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So you send your kids to a government school, a school that people without kids are paying for (or send their kids to private school) so your kid can go to school for free?

Ok

I'm sure the OP pays taxes as well. It's not like there is a choice to not send your kid to a government school. If he wasn't being extorted for so much in taxes maybe he could afford to chose where his kid goes.

You can't even chose which school to send your kids to anymore. As someone that went to school before this was in effect, I find this abhorrent.

I send my kid to private school.  I made that choice.    I get a kick out of people complaining when they send their kids to a welfare school.   OP pays taxes, but his taxes do not cover the cost of his kid's education.  The rest of us are covering that.

Replace school with food stamps or health insurance.  I know how AR15 feels about parents who cannot afford to have kids.  I agree with this sentiment.

Must be hard driving you kids to school on those welfare roads.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:21:30 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Our local Dept Social Services has a program to buy foster kids presents for Christmas. I had the same girl for four years. She never requested anything but clothes and shoes. I spent about $1000 to $1500 on that young lady a year. I bought her gift cards for the clothes and I always bought her a nice gift.

I grew up poor and know what it's like to go to school with nothing. That girl had nice clothes and shoes to wear. I never met her but always got a handwritten letter of thanks.

One of my friends buys 10 bicycles a year for this program. A neighbor gets 3 kids a year. Kids don't have a say in their parents shitty decisions. Find a charity you know helps the kids and give if you can. Mike
View Quote

You sir, are a good man.  My wife is truly a better person than me, but I have followed her lead in trying to help out people.

Last year a local family was asking for some help with food.  Dad was just discharged from Army with some issues and was trying to make ends meet with collecting scrap metals and some other odd jobs.  

When you deliver groceries and someone bursts into tears...that is not FSA, that is someone in a shitty situation whose prayers were just answered.  Most days I am probably not in the top 75% of humanity, but if I can answer a prayer I am glad to do so.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:31:30 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't blame you, OP.  That program is ripe to have the shit abused out of it.  

I think you are on the right track.  Just find another route for your holiday giving and use this event as a teachable moment about dealing with pressure, whether from peers or authority figures.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:41:06 PM EDT
[#42]
I would suggest a rule that if a kid puts down something like an Xbox 1 or $150.00 gym shoes AND the parents don't catch and delete it then the entire wish list is tossed.

Last year my kid's school started the reduced/free BREAKFAST program!!!!  That's right kids.  Come to school, grab a breakfast bag, go to your classroom and take your allotted fifteen minutes to eat IN THE CLASSROOM.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:44:27 PM EDT
[#43]
I use to volunteer with the Salvation Army during Christmas and Thanksgiving, did one home delivery where the people had new cars and a brand new ebtertainment system in their single wide. You'd also be surprised how many luxury vehicle come to get free shit
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:53:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
So let me get this straight.

GD is upset about the meaning of Christmas being diluted while complaining about helping people in need?    
View Quote

Yes.  How Christian of you all to help families in need around the holidays....oh wait nevermind.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:56:01 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Some one has a case of chapped ass over a charity event. During the Christmas season. I happily donate my time and goods to others less fortunate than me, but apparently I'm not in the majority here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Some one has a case of chapped ass over a charity event. During the Christmas season. I happily donate my time and goods to others less fortunate than me, but apparently I'm not in the majority here.
This shit is not charity.

I volunteer all year not just at Christmas. Families whose primary breadwinner lost their job, old people who would starve, and the homeless all deserve my help each week. Shitbird families that game the system and have fridges full of beer, plasma tv's, and new brand name clothing can fuck off. I would say that at least 75% of the participants in this program don't need it.

A lot of the truly needy often are too proud to take help. It often takes an catastrophic event that pushes them over the edge. Sickness, injury, or Job loss. Not everybody has an EBT card or WIC checks.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:58:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I volunteer all year not just at Christmas. Families whose primary breadwinner lost their job, old people who would starve, and the homeless all deserve my help each week. Shitbird families that game the system and have fridges full of beer, plasma tv's, and new brand name clothing can fuck off. I would say that at least 75% of the participants in this program don't need it.  

A lot of the truly needy often are too proud to take help. It often takes an catastrophic event that pushes them over the edge. Sickness, injury, or Job loss. Not everybody has an EBT card or WIC checks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you base your 75% claim on?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:06:04 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just a wild ass guess. In my volunteer time, I see plenty of people who just want free shit. Keyword being "want" not need. I got to work with a family who ended up having a landscaping business on the side that as far as we could guess was completely under the table. On paper, they needed help but the Xbox Ones were a clue to where their priorities were.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:12:35 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I would complete and return the form.

Granted, this doesn't seem like a real government program, but the only way to kill the monster is to bleed it out.  Everyone should take full advantage of every single free shit program there is.
View Quote
This, and make em deliver it.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:19:34 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm still unsure what the problem is OP?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:19:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Just a wild ass guess. In my volunteer time, I see plenty of people who just want free shit. Keyword being "want" not need. I got to work with a family who ended up having a landscaping business on the side that as far as we could guess was completely under the table. On paper, they needed help but the Xbox Ones were a clue to where their priorities were.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough.  I am sure there are people who would abuse just about any program designed to help those in need but there is real need in this country.  I just don't get all the anger on this site to things like this.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top