Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:10:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Vortex Viper PST 1-4 MOA.

You could even get the 1-6 Razor for similar money as an ACOG 4x.

I'm running the 1-4 MRAD on my 18" White Oak Armament build, a 1-6 MRAD on my KAC, and a 1-4 MOA is en route for my Noveske 16" so I can try a different reticle.

And the Vipers will run you $500.

Shameless pics:
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3943/14912041654_981a41fd64_b.jpg
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3907/15353239976_0f4619432b_h.jpg
View Quote

I totally agree with this, I picked up a TA11 and a viper PST, and now I am having buyers remorse on the TA11 and wished I went with the Razor route.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:11:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Pretty much, I have done a ton of deployments with ACOGs and no BUIS.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why?

Because the glass on the ACOG is unbreakable?

I broke one, inner lens broke and slowly filled up with this really fine glass particulate, every time I shot it looked like a snow globe inside.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:19:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Exactly.  If your ACOG takes a direct hit so violent that it is rendered useless, you will not be flipping your MBUS and getting back in the fight.  You won't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why?

I don't always agree with RA, but I'll agree with him on this.

Anything that's going to break an ACOG is probably also going to break the rifle, the rifleman, or both. Fun anecdote: I served with a close friend that was blown off his feet and mostly incapacitated by an IED. His ACOG didn't break and held zero.

The other issue with an ACOG + BUIS is deployment of the BUIS. You either need offset mounts for the BUIS or a QD option for the ACOG to even pretend you're going to use the BUIS. Again, this assumes that whatever breaks your ACOG doesn't break you, your rifle, or your BUIS.

Exactly.  If your ACOG takes a direct hit so violent that it is rendered useless, you will not be flipping your MBUS and getting back in the fight.  You won't.

Broke the glass in an issued ACOG in training, (hit on another rifle exiting a helo) had to take it off my M16 and use BUIS mid training op.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:23:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why?

Anything that's going to break an ACOG is probably also going to break the rifle, the rifleman, or both. Fun anecdote: I served with a close friend that was blown off his feet and mostly incapacitated by an IED. His ACOG didn't break and held zero.

The other issue with an ACOG + BUIS is deployment of the BUIS. You either need offset mounts for the BUIS or a QD option for the ACOG to even pretend you're going to use the BUIS. Again, this assumes that whatever breaks your ACOG doesn't break you, your rifle, or your BUIS.

Even the stock mount is just a big ass screw, you can take it off with a multitool, knife, anything that can fit in the slot. It takes like 10 seconds to get it off.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:46:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I picked up one of these (not my pic) barely used for $400.  IOR Valdada 3x25.  It's brick heavy, but the glass is very good and it would take a direct hit from an orbital nuke. Mine has an illuminated reticule, pretty sure they all do.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee117/TBG35/Cactus%20tac/DSC_0049-3.jpg

View Quote

came here to post this, I think they call it the QR-TS, maybe?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:36:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Broke the glass in an issued ACOG in training, (hit on another rifle exiting a helo) had to take it off my M16 and use BUIS mid training op.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why?

Unpossible. We've just been assured that ACOGs never break. Especially in training level scenarios!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:10:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

If I had to drop the coin for an ACOG, I probably could do it.

If I had to place a budget on it, I'd say $800 would be the mist I'd like to spend. I was out at Knob Creek and someone in a thread here mentioned there might be "$300 painted ACOGs" someone usually sells (I guess surplus) so that was the first thing I looked for, to no avail. That was before I ever used one though. I knew they were good but didn't know HOW good.

As far as what I like about them:

Optical Quality

Just the right amount of Magnification

The tritium seemed perfectly bright (I have the Mepro and it seems to pale in comparison, plus no magnification)

The ACOG is relatively compact as compared to a red dot with a magnifier

Last but not least, battle quality durability.-I'm not hauling my AR off to war but I like to know that my optic can take some abuse. That same day, my lightly used Vortex Strikefire conked out on me and as good as Vortex is with their warranty, it's gonna be annoying to have to contact them, get an RMA, etc.

View Quote

I paid $750 for my TA31, used. Since then I've seen a few at $700.

There's a used TA31 on Amazon (and sold by Amazon) right now for $821.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:20:13 AM EDT
[#8]

The Vortex scope and those alike, are not an alternative to an ACOG.

There is a slight difference between a scope and a combat optic

I broke my AGOC once.

I've seen a few people break them.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:51:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If I had to drop the coin for an ACOG, I probably could do it.

If I had to place a budget on it, I'd say $800 would be the mist I'd like to spend. I was out at Knob Creek and someone in a thread here mentioned there might be "$300 painted ACOGs" someone usually sells (I guess surplus) so that was the first thing I looked for, to no avail. That was before I ever used one though. I knew they were good but didn't know HOW good.

As far as what I like about them:

Optical Quality

Just the right amount of Magnification

The tritium seemed perfectly bright (I have the Mepro and it seems to pale in comparison, plus no magnification)

The ACOG is relatively compact as compared to a red dot with a magnifier

Last but not least, battle quality durability.-I'm not hauling my AR off to war but I like to know that my optic can take some abuse. That same day, my lightly used Vortex Strikefire conked out on me and as good as Vortex is with their warranty, it's gonna be annoying to have to contact them, get an RMA, etc.

This is how I bought my ACOG, for $615. Note that Anything sold "used" by Amazon may not be in fact used. Mine was brand new, blank warranty card, etc. Typically things Amazon is selling used has been either bought and returned, or sometimes the outer box was damaged in their warehouse. I think mine had a slight tear on the serial number sticker on the case, which caused them to mark it as "used".

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:54:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I picked up one of these (not my pic) barely used for $400.  IOR Valdada 3x25.  It's brick heavy, but the glass is very good and it would take a direct hit from an orbital nuke. Mine has an illuminated reticule, pretty sure they all do.

There is one with railed exterior and one without. I forget which is which.

I wouldn't pay Acog money for one, but I'd snatch up another for $400 for damn sure.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:08:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:13:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Valdada M2 4x with Dragunov reticle and ballistic cam for M885.

Very heavy, but super tough.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/green_ar.JPG
View Quote

I'm betting you could bludgeon colonel mustard to death in the library with that scope if there weren't any candlesticks handy.

Almost got one for 308 that was in the EE last year for very cheap.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:19:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:25:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm not sure what the GRSC 1-6 runs cost wise, but the 1-4 I got for $349 has been flat out awesome.

Slapped. It in a Larue mount and it is gtg.

I also have a ta31 on a colt 6720r and I love that combo as well.

If you find a used GRSC...I would highly recommend it,,.the reticle is awesome and calibrated for m855.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:51:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No, your eye is most sensitive to green in any light.

That's why green lasers at .5mw look much brighter than red at .5mw.
Red is good for low light because it doesn't spoil your dark-adapted vision because of the way your eyes work.

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2007/SusanZhao.shtml
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You eye is most sensitive to Amber in low light, that's why Trijicon uses it rather than "Tactical Red" as their default color.

No, your eye is most sensitive to green in any light.

That's why green lasers at .5mw look much brighter than red at .5mw.
Red is good for low light because it doesn't spoil your dark-adapted vision because of the way your eyes work.

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2007/SusanZhao.shtml

Yeah, not the same thing as looking at a reticle against a dark background. Trijicon talks about this in their FAQ/manuals.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:53:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Vortex Spitfire 3X is a fantastic optic. Great field of view and super clear glass. Reticle is simple and fast, too.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:21:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I recently got one, its sweet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I like the Primary Arms Compact AR scopes for the cheaper end choice.

Currently using the PAC 2.5X with the ACSS "Koala" reticule.  It works extremely well.

I recently got one, its sweet.

Did you really, got to look thru that bad boy some day.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:38:30 PM EDT
[#18]
You can buy an Elcan M145 fairly cheap.

I wouldn't mind getting one just for a cheap build.

I'm not a huge fan of the M145 though.

With the ARD on, its pretty dark.

Or an Elcan OS4X (Just like the Elcan Specter DR 1-4x, but only 4x)

Heres one that sold in the EE for $700

Used M145 on GB for $400

There are some NiB/LNiB ones on GB for $750-800

The M145s are pretty rugged. I haven't seen one break, but we didn't have as many as we did ACOGs. The M145s were on all of our M249 SAWs.

The only thing I remember getting broke was the rubber flip covers, and the ARD getting broke off the the threads from hard use.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:52:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

ACOGs are for poor people, or for use as backups to real sights.

http://i59.tinypic.com/b9asko.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Nothing replaces the ACOG because nothing legit has the ACOG look. You want people to instantly recognize your optic and not think you're poor people right?

So what are the people who use Primary arms or Bushnell alternative optics known as?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:42:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I bought this Leupold Mark 4 CQ/T for $400 used.  Battery operated, but the reticle is always there.  Variable power Red Dot.  I like it.  Sorry I took this photo with my old iPhone 4 Potato.  I've but a BUIS on it since this photo

http://i.imgur.com/rBmc1Cg.jpg
View Quote

How heavy is that?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:47:30 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Nothing replaces the ACOG because nothing legit has the ACOG look. You want people to instantly recognize your optic and not think you're poor people right?

Your post actually brings up a good point....

Lots of people buy $140-200 sets of BUIS for their rifles... So if you look at the ACOG at $700-800 or so in decent condition, you DONT need those BUIS, and since you dont have BUIS you can ignore the QD mount.

So assuming you were going to get BUIS and wont if you get the acog, the acog is effectively a $500-600 purchase instead.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Save your pennies and buy a real ACOG. I thought that I would only need one. Then I got a family and I have four. Try one with a docter or RMR if you have a hard on for buis. My last one was an ECOS that has both an RMR and irons on the side.
View Quote

I have 3, lol.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:00:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I broke an ACOG. I fell and the ACOG hit first.   Inside looked like looking through a snow storm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why?

I broke an ACOG. I fell and the ACOG hit first.   Inside looked like looking through a snow storm.

People break new ones running out adjustment range trying to sight them in. Which is probably due to a bad rail or bad mount. But the delicate movements of the acog don't help.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:11:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
So what are the people who use Primary arms or Bushnell alternative optics known as?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Depends which Bushnell. The Elites and Elite Tacticals cost more than most ACOGs and are made in Japan. The Banner and Trophy series not so much.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:34:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Once upon a time I had a TA01NSN ACOG and it was amazing, but then I realized that for my usual purposes I had no need of a 1000 dollar scope.

There are cheaper alternatives that are 80% solutions with 25% prices.

FWIW
YMMV
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:45:46 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm a married homeowner with children now, the purchase of a Ta-11 or Ta-33 is now just a dream.  

I agree with others, get used!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:53:33 PM EDT
[#27]
ok, those with the PA 4x compact, lend me your knowledge.

how can a bullet drop compensator be accurate for "223/5.56, 5.45x39, .308"  ?

Using the ACSS reticle, that's what it says. Does the 168gr 308 have the same drop as the 55 gr 223 ?

I just dont see how it can work for diferent calibers with different trajectories.

educate me
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:30:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Using the ACSS reticle, that's what it says. Does the 168gr 308 have the same drop as the 55 gr 223 ?

I just dont see how it can work for diferent calibers with different trajectories.

educate me
View Quote

Its kind of like knowing your mill dots. Even using the ammo they recommend and having the same barrel length they recommend you will still see deviation from the drop compensator. You have to put some time into testing your rifle and loads..... at 300 yards I hold between the second an third dots. Most guys make a "dope" card and tape it to their stock.

Having said that, the drop compensator on my Burris Tac 30 is dead on all the way out to 600 yards when I use 193 in my 20" gun. My 16" rifles are a different story.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:40:03 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

I have one of these on my Colt 6721. It's built like a brick shithouse and has great optics.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:49:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Its kind of like knowing your mill dots. Even using the ammo they recommend and having the same barrel length they recommend you will still see deviation from the drop compensator. You have to put some time into testing your rifle and loads..... at 300 yards I hold between the second an third dots. Most guys make a "dope" card and tape it to their stock.

Having said that, the drop compensator on my Burris Tac 30 is dead on all the way out to 600 yards when I use 193 in my 20" gun. My 16" rifles are a different story.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

educate me

then the yard markings are irrellevant, and it will work for any caliber.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:07:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I totally agree with this, I picked up a TA11 and a viper PST, and now I am having buyers remorse on the TA11 and wished I went with the Razor route.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Vortex Viper PST 1-4 MOA.

You could even get the 1-6 Razor for similar money as an ACOG 4x.

I'm running the 1-4 MRAD on my 18" White Oak Armament build, a 1-6 MRAD on my KAC, and a 1-4 MOA is en route for my Noveske 16" so I can try a different reticle.

And the Vipers will run you $500.

Shameless pics:
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3943/14912041654_981a41fd64_b.jpg
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3907/15353239976_0f4619432b_h.jpg

I have a TA31, a Viper 1-4 and a Leupold Mk6.

The best all around is the Mk6. Fantastic glass and great reticle but even at industry you are spending $1400

Next is the ACOG. Fantastic glass and great reticle, simple to use out past 1000. Simple and durable. Unless you can do the BAC, too much magnification for under 20 yrds and too little for head size targets past 600 if they blend with the background

I don't put the Viper in the same league with either. It's got budget glass which is obvious when you compare any of the above side by side. Either of the reticles are difficult to use for hold over at distance because the magnification is too low which means the lines are too close together. It becomes particularly difficult past 400 yrds. The lack of locking turrets means that there is a good chance they were moved as you were handling the rifle or caseing it. For it's price point it's not bad. If price is not part of the considerations it's not even in the running.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

educate me
View Quote

To be honest, pretty much every centerfire caliber rifle with a bottle neck will have an identical bullet drop until you hit 5-600m. To be clear, I mean in terms of "Minute of Man", but it's one of the things we learned in the Appleseed 500m course. You only have to shoot 4moa at that distance to be deadly with a rifle-one man can hold 160 square acres of land with a 4moa rifle..... That's what the US .mil taught it's soldiers in WW1 when they were issuing Springfield 1903's.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:13:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

educate me
View Quote

it's just a holdover. 5.56 loadings and weights will have trajectories a lot different. But minute of man is generally what those holdovers mean. It is up to the shooter to test for sure where your rounds will impact.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

You're doing it wrong if you have an ACOG and BUIS on the same rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I got a TA31F, put it in a Larue mount, then sold it. The eye relief was unacceptable for with BUIS.

You're doing it wrong if you have an ACOG and BUIS on the same rifle.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:08:18 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I have one of these on my Colt 6721. It's built like a brick shithouse and has great optics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Southpaws unite!

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:22:13 PM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c340/davemarkowitz/083008_LRGC/083008_DSM_Colt_6721.jpg

Southpaws unite!

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The burris tac 30 and mtac optic are nice for the $. I've also used on of the burris prismatics (fixed 3x) and was pretty impressed with it for 300 bucks. I've heard a lot of people refer to them as the poor mans acog.  

The 1-4 variables are very handy, you can run them like a red dot at 1 power and with a little practice have no issues hitting out to 500 or 600 at 4x.
View Quote

^^This

Another excellent option is the Vortex Viper PST 1-4.  I use mine for 3Gun, and it works well as a red dot on 1x.  On 4x I've had no trouble on steel out to 450 (the farthest local matches go).
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:28:06 PM EDT
[#38]
1-6x
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:54:42 PM EDT
[#39]
So, for now I picked up a BNIB Primary Arms 2.5 Compact from EE.
I still want an ACOG, Just not sure which one. They sure have a ton to choose from.

I went over to Amazon last night and sorted by "used" and found ZERO deals there, all seemed priced as new.
Will keep watching EE for a great one. There seems to be no lack of Trijicon goodies there.

I'm also liking the Vortex Razor HD Gen II.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:03:07 AM EDT
[#40]
This was my first thought when I read this post..........

Quoted:
Vortex Spitfire 3X is a fantastic optic. Great field of view and super clear glass. Reticle is simple and fast, too.
View Quote

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top