User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:11:55 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There's nothing wrong with a Lee Enfield.

It holds 10 rounds of an effective cartridge.

The rifle is super reliable, fairly accurate, it will work

in the Mud, Snow, Sand. It's been battle tested

in the muddy fields of Flanders during WWI,

Northern Africa, the Jungles of Borneo.

It's just a superb rifle.

And the 303 British Cartridge topped with a 215 grain round nose bullet

makes for a fine moose,elk or bear round.

The action is very fast to work because it cocks on closing

and the bolt lugs are on the rear of the bolt.

The bolt throw is short.

The No.4 Mk1 and No.4 Mk.2 come with really good iron sights.

an excerpt from the original article

"This weapon was given to them . . . because it’s indestructible,” Rittwage says.

"In any condition regardless, this weapon will fire. As long as that round gets chambered, it will fire.”

"It will also bring down anything it hits at up to 550 metres.

"Because it is a .303, it has the stopping power,”

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:05:10 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

View Quote
Damn I'm old.

I remember when you could buy one at Roses department store for around $70.  It seems like yesterday.  

I bought my Fazakerly No.4 Mk.I for $85 + PA sales tax at Woolworth's in the local mall. This was 1985.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:17:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I either own or have shot practically every mainline military bolt action there is.  The discussion of cock on closing vs opening with regards to speed is always amusing.  The Enfield's cocking method has only a small part to do with its speed of shooting.  The main reasons are the location of the bolt handle, the single locking lug, and the manufacturing that went into the gun.  

The turned down bolt handle within easy reach of the firing hand is important.  Other mainline milsurp bolt guns (most Mauser 93/95/98s, Arisaka, Mosin, Carcanos, Berthier/Lebel, Swede Mausers) have the bolt handle at different areas which causes a slight delay in firing.  Also, most milsurp guns have dual locking lugs (Krag is a notable exception).  

A Krag can be fired just as fast (if not faster) than a Enfield due to the same strengths of the Enfield.  Krags cock on opening with no ill effect.  The Enfield wins due to the ability of charger loading.  Despite its Mauser inspired bolt, most 1903 Springfields can be fired as fast as an Enfield.  The only slow Springfields I've fired were WWII rebuilds with lots of Parkerizing on internal parts.  As they wear they break in.  K98's with their properly turned down bolts are also fast.  Turn down conversions such as the most Yugo Mausers and Spanish guns are not as fast as the geometry and leverage gained from their bolts isn't quite right.  Swedish M38 turn bolts are more well thought out.

A frequently maligned bolt gun that is fast to fire is the MAS 36.  Shorter than an Enfield, very robust, excellent sights, ridiculously simple.

These Canadian Rangers would be well served by having new made Mauser rifles from Zatstava (Yugo).  I have one of their "Tanker" Mausers chambered in 30-06...fun gun!  They make them in 308/7.62X51 as well.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:45:24 AM EDT
[#4]
It seems that the Canadians have a Ruger M77 rifle manufactured by Diemaco for use with their Search and Rescue teams

30.06 Cal SAR (Search and Rescue) Rifle

The SAR Rifle, .30-06 calibre, RUGER, Model M77 is a rifle designed for use by Canada's Search and Rescue Technicians (SAR Techs) and Aircrews. The SAR Rifle is designed to be a compact survival rifle chambered in .30-06 Springfield. The rifle is based on the standard Ruger M77 Mk II rifle but the barrel has been shortened to 14.5". The orange coloured buttstock has been modified so that it can fold along the left hand side of the stock and it also can hold 6 additional rounds of ammunition. The rifle is issued with a special case that has been designed to attach to the Search and Rescue Technicians parachute harness.

The Orange Canadian Survival Rifle

They could just issue the Ruger M77, since they already have a variant of it in service.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:50:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It seems that the Canadians have a Ruger M77 rifle manufactured by Diemaco for use with their Search and Rescue teams

The SAR Rifle, .30-06 calibre, RUGER, Model M77 is a rifle designed for use by Canada's Search and Rescue Technicians (SAR Techs) and Aircrews. The SAR Rifle is designed to be a compact survival rifle chambered in .30-06 Springfield. The rifle is based on the standard Ruger M77 Mk II rifle but the barrel has been shortened to 14.5". The orange coloured buttstock has been modified so that it can fold along the left hand side of the stock and it also can hold 6 additional rounds of ammunition. The rifle is issued with a special case that has been designed to attach to the Search and Rescue Technicians parachute harness.

http://i.imgur.com/CEC0dVW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/RlXD2dO.jpg

They could just issue the Ruger M77, since they already have a variant of it in service.
View Quote

That's gotta be a thumper
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:55:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nice flamethrower.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:06:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Nice flamethrower.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice flamethrower.

Probably part of the design...shot fired from double barrel performs dual purpose of providing signal flash/flame for nighttime observation.  Could also provide a tertiary benefit as a firestarter in remote climes.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:26:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I either own or have shot practically every mainline military bolt action there is.  The discussion of cock on closing vs opening with regards to speed is always amusing.  The Enfield's cocking method has only a small part to do with its speed of shooting.  The main reasons are the location of the bolt handle, the single locking lug, and the manufacturing that went into the gun.  

View Quote

Lee-Enfields have dual locking lugs. The only military rifles that I'm aware of with only one locking lug is the Krag.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:53:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Lee-Enfields have dual locking lugs. The only military rifles that I'm aware of with only one locking lug is the Krag.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting.  I've always considered the Enfield as having only one lug.  The reason for this is that only one lug locks into a recess internal to the receiver.  I did not know that the large one on the bolt handle side of the gun was considered a locking lug.  On a Springfield bolt that rear ejection port lug isn't considered a locking lug and its in a similar position as the Lee Enfield.  Mauser 98 bolts have the 3rd lug as well and the 1917 used the bolt handle as a lug.

The MAS 36 definitely has two internal rear locking lugs.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Correct. The large lug is also locking lug, and also acts a guide for the bolt when it's moving backwards and forwards.

ETA: One of the reasons that the Lee-Enfield is so reliable under the worst conditions is that the locking lug recesses are easily cleaned. If extremis, you can just untuck your shirt and use the tail.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 4:46:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The turned down bolt handle within easy reach of the firing hand is important.  Other mainline milsurp bolt guns (most Mauser 93/95/98s, Arisaka, Mosin, Carcanos, Berthier/Lebel, Swede Mausers) have the bolt handle at different areas which causes a slight delay in firing.  Also, most milsurp guns have dual locking lugs (Krag is a notable exception).  

A Krag can be fired just as fast (if not faster) than a Enfield due to the same strengths of the Enfield.  Krags cock on opening with no ill effect.  The Enfield wins due to the ability of charger loading.  Despite its Mauser inspired bolt, most 1903 Springfields can be fired as fast as an Enfield.  The only slow Springfields I've fired were WWII rebuilds with lots of Parkerizing on internal parts.  As they wear they break in.  K98's with their properly turned down bolts are also fast.  Turn down conversions such as the most Yugo Mausers and Spanish guns are not as fast as the geometry and leverage gained from their bolts isn't quite right.  Swedish M38 turn bolts are more well thought out.

A frequently maligned bolt gun that is fast to fire is the MAS 36.  Shorter than an Enfield, very robust, excellent sights, ridiculously simple.

These Canadian Rangers would be well served by having new made Mauser rifles from Zatstava (Yugo).  I have one of their "Tanker" Mausers chambered in 30-06...fun gun!  They make them in 308/7.62X51 as well.

View Quote

Lee-Enfield's actually have two rear-locking lugs.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 4:54:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, to show solidarity with my Canadian Brothers across the border with what has happened. I ordered a CR patch...

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:22:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Where'd ya order the patch from?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:35:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Where'd ya order the patch from?
View Quote

http://www.cpgear.com/store/other_agencies/canadian_rangers_badge.htm
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:01:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Enfield won't bop you on the nose when you cycle the bolt.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:08:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:34:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I must be a mutant. I have to move my head for basically any bolt-action, except some .22lr types, because of how far forward on the stock I naturally put my cheek. Just can't get comfy or a decent sight picture with my head farther back.
Kinda like N2CH on an AR, really.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:44:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Where from?

Our club in Britain is affiliated to the DCRA and we use their magnificent club house as our own
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, to show solidarity with my Canadian Brothers across the border with what has happened. I ordered a CR patch...

http://www.tacticalnotebookcovers.com/graphics/StoreBox/products/1975/canadianrangersod_zoom.jpg

Where from?

Our club in Britain is affiliated to the DCRA and we use their magnificent club house as our own

That's cool... you guy shoot in Canada?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:00:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

But a century on, the rugged reliability and brute firepower that made the Lee-Enfield rifle the standard-issue weapon for entrenched Canadian troops during the latter half of the First World War makes it an ideal choice still for a modern group of this country’s soldiers.

The Canadian Rangers — a component of the armed forces reserves — conduct sovereignty patrols and assist search and rescue missions in the Far North and in remote coastal regions across the country.

Related:

And the red-shirted Rangers — made up largely of aboriginal volunteers — have been using Lee-Enfield rifles little changed from the First World War version since the group was first established in 1947.

"The Rangers were not issued this weapon to fight an enemy, they were given the rifle because they are operating in one of the harshest environments in the world,” says Capt. Mark Rittwage, officer commander of the 3rd Canadian Patrol Group, Northern Ontario.

http://metronews.ca/news/canada/1187420/lee-enfield-rifle-phased-out-by-canadian-military-after-100-years-of-service/
View Quote
That's really cool!

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 10:48:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 11:30:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 2:06:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Where from?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.tacticalnotebookcovers.com/graphics/StoreBox/products/1975/canadianrangersod_zoom.jpg

Where from?

That's cause Connaught>Bisley
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 12:07:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I wonder if the "Canadian Northern Guard" overrun rifles are the answer to this question?

The Troy website for these is dead, but these were a Black Friday deal for $599.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 3:17:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 3:48:35 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I wonder if the "Canadian Northern Guard" overrun rifles are the answer to this question?

http://troydefense.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/BravoRifle-Lower.jpg

The Troy website for these is dead, but these were a Black Friday deal for $599.
View Quote
WTF is the Canadian Northern Guard? Never heard of 'em.

Link Posted: 12/5/2014 4:07:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 4:21:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The issue is no spare parts and no machinery to produce new rifles or parts.
View Quote

I don't get this as an excuse... I imagine any small mom and pop machine shop could manufacture the relatively small number of spare parts required.
Hell... I'm not a machinist and I've managed to make an extractor for an old rifle I using a piece of scrap tempered steel and a file.
It's been in the gun for 20 years and hundreds of rounds fired.

The fact that there's some agreement that Colt Canada must be the one to supply a new rifle just goes to show it probably has just as much to do with someone making a few bucks off another gov't contract.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 6:28:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
  I saw that news clip and literally the guy is describing the Ruger M77 Gunsite Scout Rifle. Onot problem they have is that Ruger will not allow Colt Canada to make the rifle in Canada.

The US waives the Berry Amendment all the time when it comes to the procurement of arms and equipment. GLOCK, HK, Sig Sauer, etc are seen in the hands of US Forces. Hell, the MP5 was from Germany and they were extremely popular. Same with the HK MP7....

Canada can waive their law for the small number of rifles that will be purchased for the Rangers.
View Quote

All this is totally unnecessary.

Savage already has a presence in Canada, they could create a Scout rifle based on their long action, chamber it in whatever cartridge they wanted. Make the parts here, assemble in their old Lakefield plant in Canada and there you go.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 7:12:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top