User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:44:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Tell me how it is wrong. And it wasn't the 14th century it was the 18th. That's William Pitt the Elder, for your Googling convenience. Also you should know that in the US the traditional form of "The King" as a legal entity has been replaced by the state (see Common Sense by Thomas Paine for background on how this revolution in legal affairs came to public popularity.

I'm simply mocking you for not insisting that a search of your home require a warrant. I wouldn't mock you if you had to submit unhappily to warrantless searches.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Patriotic somewhat Anti-UK guy quotes the so-called law in the time of a 14th century English King (which was wrong BTW) and says he believes in this "tradition" and that aussies have lost it. When its pointed out that what happens in the US (who doesn't have a king because they kicked him out) is the opposite of that he says but "the police have a warrant"

How can I not challenge that thought process? That's some mental gymnastics of the highest order.

Tell me how it is wrong. And it wasn't the 14th century it was the 18th. That's William Pitt the Elder, for your Googling convenience. Also you should know that in the US the traditional form of "The King" as a legal entity has been replaced by the state (see Common Sense by Thomas Paine for background on how this revolution in legal affairs came to public popularity.

I'm simply mocking you for not insisting that a search of your home require a warrant. I wouldn't mock you if you had to submit unhappily to warrantless searches.

Cops couldn't be fucked checking safes and fucking with people here but you would know that if your knowledge extended more than a few bits of shit you get off the internet from Fox News. If you've been a fucktard they might rock up and exercise their search rights and that's how all cops the world over are. Don't be a wanker and you get through life fine.

And what do you think a "warrant" is? God's fucking word or something?

Its a piece of paper that says the cops can enter your home and guess what? You didn't write it and neither did William the Twat. You have a hide to talk about castles when this is the reality in which you live. If the cops want to search your house in the US they will and they don't even have to knock because the King..... sorry the DA told them they don't have to.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:44:17 AM EDT
[#2]
UK gun laws blow dead faggot crank all of PG2.

Damn, 13 seconds.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:45:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That's a shame.  Would have been good to catch up with you and have a beer.

I think there are a lot of misconceptions about the UK and other nations, mostly based in half truths or snippets of information that are taken way out of context.  Quite often it is a media driven phenomenon where only the most extreme examples or interpretations are used, meaning that people interpret it to be the norm.

The OP's thread title is a case in point.  He makes the leap from unannounced visits to warrantless searches which are two VERY different propositions.  The same thing happened in the thread where the Breitbart article was posted.

Out of interest, why were you harassed in Italy and the Netherlands?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'll get this a lot in GD.

Many of the people who post here have never left their own state, let alone have experience of what it is like to live in another country.  For the most part they have been fed misinformation to satisfy a third party agenda and they genuinely know no different.  That's not a criticism or a piss-take - it's an honest observation.

Best just to be patient and calm, and explain the reality of the situation.  

People will not have the opportunity to change their views if we don't provide them with the information that enables them to do so.

I've been to every country in Western Europe with the exception of Andorra, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, San Marino and the Nordics. Most recently for three months. I've even been harrassed by the police in Italy and the Netherlands.

I was going to try and meet up with you in England but I had limited time and made a rough plan with Screech and that fell through.

That's a shame.  Would have been good to catch up with you and have a beer.

I think there are a lot of misconceptions about the UK and other nations, mostly based in half truths or snippets of information that are taken way out of context.  Quite often it is a media driven phenomenon where only the most extreme examples or interpretations are used, meaning that people interpret it to be the norm.

The OP's thread title is a case in point.  He makes the leap from unannounced visits to warrantless searches which are two VERY different propositions.  The same thing happened in the thread where the Breitbart article was posted.

Out of interest, why were you harassed in Italy and the Netherlands?

I'll catch up with you next time. In this thread I was referring to Australian mandatory inspections, not anything in the UK. The US has mandatory inspections too for some things but not to my knowledge for firearms ownership.

In the Netherlands I was late for something and was running and they felt that was suspicious. In Italy I was walking in a residential area once and the other time was walking in a dark commercial area and police there thought that was suspicious. I don't drive when I travel in Europe. To be fair walking after dark has gotten me pulled over a number of times in the US as well.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:46:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Cops couldn't be fucked checking safes and fucking with people here but you would know that if your knowledge extended more than a few bits of shit you get off the internet from Fox News. If you've been a fucktard they might rock up and exercise their search rights and that's how all cops the world over are. Don't be a wanker and you get through life fine.

Its a piece of paper that says the cops can enter your home and guess what? You didn't write it and neither did William the Twat. You have a hide to talk about castles when this is the reality in which you live. If the cops want to search your house in the US they will and they don't even have to knock because the King..... sorry the DA told them they don't have to.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Patriotic somewhat Anti-UK guy quotes the so-called law in the time of a 14th century English King (which was wrong BTW) and says he believes in this "tradition" and that aussies have lost it. When its pointed out that what happens in the US (who doesn't have a king because they kicked him out) is the opposite of that he says but "the police have a warrant"

How can I not challenge that thought process? That's some mental gymnastics of the highest order.

I don't know how it works abroad but here a Judge signs a warrant not a DA.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:49:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The UK is where the police shot a fare jumper on a subway 5 times in the head while they held him down, so I wouldn't go too far with that sentiment.
View Quote

While I know where you're coming from, this is misinformed.

The dude that got shot on the tube was misidentified by a police anti-terrorism operation as a potential suicide bomber, if I recall in the aftermath of the 7/7 attacks.

Several operational failures (like radios not working underground) led to this guy being wrongly killed. He wasn't killed because he didn't present his Oyster card.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:53:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The dude that got shot on the tube was misidentified by a police anti-terrorism operation as a potential suicide bomber, if I recall in the aftermath of the 7/7 attacks.

Several operational failures (like radios not working underground) led to this guy being wrongly killed. He wasn't killed because he didn't present his Oyster card.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The UK is where the police shot a fare jumper on a subway 5 times in the head while they held him down, so I wouldn't go too far with that sentiment.

I know.

SAS was there that day too.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:05:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The thrust of my post was to get you to OBJECT to those types of laws in Australia.

Your post sounded like you were defeated and accept it................then you deflect and say America has bad laws, practices, etc.

Well of course we do.............DUH!

But that doesn't change the thrust of my post...............OBJECT to these laws and NEVER stop trying to get them overturned.

I have always been involved in stopping anti-gun laws, etc., by donating time and money to 2A issues.

You should do the same rather than ridicule some other country's laws.

You know what I would have said if I was Australian and someone pointed out that stupid Gestapo like law(?)..................."I hate and am embarrassed that we have such a law"...............that's what I would have said.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't be so stupid to infer that every law in the US you 100% agree with and if you were to state what all these laws were I wouldn't infer that you were defending them all either. The law is what the law is and im a law abiding citizen as I hope you are.

Some of your laws are down right fucking diabolical and I know you couldn't possibly agree with all of them. Because im not an idiot and neither are you.

The thrust of my post was to get you to OBJECT to those types of laws in Australia.

Your post sounded like you were defeated and accept it................then you deflect and say America has bad laws, practices, etc.

Well of course we do.............DUH!

But that doesn't change the thrust of my post...............OBJECT to these laws and NEVER stop trying to get them overturned.

I have always been involved in stopping anti-gun laws, etc., by donating time and money to 2A issues.

You should do the same rather than ridicule some other country's laws.

You know what I would have said if I was Australian and someone pointed out that stupid Gestapo like law(?)..................."I hate and am embarrassed that we have such a law"...............that's what I would have said.

You are acting like the cops come to my house everyday to check my safe. Ill repeat they have never come EVER. Remember Katrina? They were taking your guns willy nilly despite your firearms laws and people did jack shit as far as locking up the guys who gave those illegal unconstitutional orders. Weve had heaps of natural disasters and that's never ever happened here but it did in the US.

There is a law in the UK whereby the police must offer their hat to the public to take a piss in if they had no other place to urinate. Its still the law and guess what no-one cares because it aint a big issue and no-one asks the cops for a lend, that's my position on the safe thing.

2a meant jack shit in NO as it probably will again and trust me the same old people will still be holier than thou to us lesser mortals.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:08:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you get the point I hope nonetheless.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:10:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Believe me I'm aware of the failings. But they bother me. And I will tell you they bother me. That's all that bothered me about what you said--that you won't condemn the law.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:22:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:24:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:32:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

At least you walk.

My mate was over in Tennessee last month on business and decided to walk to a store 200yds down the road from his hotel to get some supplies.  He was stopped by two different police patrols on the way to the store AND on the way back.  Both times they wanted to know what he was doing, where he had been and why.  When he opened his mouth and spoke with an English accent they wondered why he hadn't driven to the store.  

He was all  "Cos it's 200yds"

I think he and the cops just stared at oneanother for a few minutes, each thinking "WTF?"
View Quote

Europeans: "Why did Zimmerman harrass poor Trayvon Martin?! He must be racist!"
Me: "No... in America, if you are walking, you are suspicious."
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:40:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Believe me I'm aware of the failings. But they bother me. And I will tell you they bother me. That's all that bothered me about what you said--that you won't condemn the law.
View Quote

Nobody likes the fact a policeman can enter your house to check your safe. What makes you think anybody would like that?

I don't like speed limits on highways either and a whole myriad of other things. How do you think a Policeman would go if he entered your house 3 times in a month to check your safe while ignoring the other 2000 gunowners in his area?

Would you like to be the career copper trying to answer that question in front of a judge? Didn't think so. The Police have other things more important to handle and if they had the resources to be able to do this for everyone,  you know what? Its a good thing because it means crime is down and they are obviously in need of shit to do. But that's not gonna happen and if it does who gives a shit? Probably just you since you get bothered so easily. If they want to search my house they can get a warrant anyway just like in the US.

Plenty of fucked laws in the US you can get bothered about and expend your energy on than this one a world away from you in distance and culture.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:00:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly, and it has to be supported by probable cause.  If the warrant is found later in court to not have been valid than any evidence seized during the search would not be admissible in court. We have this lovely thing called due process here and right to be secure in our person and effects.  As a world super power I'd say they've worked out pretty well for us so far.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:27:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Say what you will about the US having messed up laws, the great thing about the USA is that the citizenry still has the ability to wage a protracted and effective war against a tyrannical government.

Yours, not so much.

Now you can go on about how we're fat and lazy, so that would never happen in the first place.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:30:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:38:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Say what you will about the US having messed up laws, the great thing about the USA is that the citizenry still has the ability to wage a protracted and effective war against a tyrannical government.

Yours, not so much.

Now you can go on about how we're fat and lazy, so that would never happen in the first place.
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:43:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You are acting like the cops come to my house everyday to check my safe. Ill repeat they have never come EVER. Remember Katrina? They were taking your guns willy nilly despite your firearms laws and people did jack shit as far as locking up the guys who gave those illegal unconstitutional orders. Weve had heaps of natural disasters and that's never ever happened here but it did in the US.

There is a law in the UK whereby the police must offer their hat to the public to take a piss in if they had no other place to urinate. Its still the law and guess what no-one cares because it aint a big issue and no-one asks the cops for a lend, that's my position on the safe thing.

2a meant jack shit in NO as it probably will again and trust me the same old people will still be holier than thou to us lesser mortals.

View Quote

I give up.

Have fun with your gun laws.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:41:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I realize that the USA isn't perfect, trust me, there are states that I would likely never live in due to political leanings. We lock up a lot of people for stupid stuff, but it looks like some of the states have realized this and there's a trend towards judicial reform in this area.

However I fail to understand how we could continue to call ourselves the 'land of the free...' if we were forced to allow anyone with a badge access to our homes...of course it would be based on 'good reasons', explained at the time of the visit.  
I've yet to hear to a warrant that was requested for 'bad reasons' so I sincerely believe if such a visit were conducted, it would have really 'good reasons' behind it.

Secrets courts with secret judges are bad enough, now to allow entry to my home up the the jurisprudence and judgment of said police officer.....I'll pass, thanks anyhow.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top