Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:16:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I own page 4
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:18:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The problem is that investors are buying up property and realty companies are raising prices because houses are selling. Atleast thats whats happening around my area.
View Quote

Realty companies don't control prices. The market does. Investors buy what they can resale or rent and make money-as dictated by market forces.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:21:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Refi is a fucking joke.

I've got an 8.25% rate , was told I qualified for a new rate of 3.25 %

Would lower my payment by a whopping $75 a month

And it would only cost me $ 10,000

Someone was scamming you. That is not right at all unless u were in a reverse mortgage or upside down.
what the fuck ever
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Our house is still less than what it was pre '08.
Couldn't get a refi because the value was less than we owed.

Refi is a fucking joke.

I've got an 8.25% rate , was told I qualified for a new rate of 3.25 %

Would lower my payment by a whopping $75 a month

And it would only cost me $ 10,000

Someone was scamming you. That is not right at all unless u were in a reverse mortgage or upside down.
what the fuck ever

You were being scammed, are upside down, or reverse mortgage
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:29:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

that is another astute observation.
Undoubtedly "bailouts" and too big to fail contribute to the state of insane prices today and keeping the corpse walking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The banks were NEVER motivated to sell properties even when they were foreclosures or at risk of foreclosure through short-sales, because they all got bailed out. With ZERO motivation to sell they didn't have to really drop prices or do anything to accommodate buyers.  When we purchased our home in 2009 most of the foreclosures demanded either straight cash or that you were financed through them or a private loan rather than government VA loan.  The banks didn't want to maintain the properties at all or bring them into conformity with all the requirements of the government backed loans and they had zero motivation to do so. In other words, the banks were all too happy to take the government bailouts, but were telling buyers with government backed VA loans to go #$%@ themselves. When it came to short-sales they were sitting on those short-sale approvals for MONTHS sometimes.  

that is another astute observation.
Undoubtedly "bailouts" and too big to fail contribute to the state of insane prices today and keeping the corpse walking.

This was a statewide phenomenon in Virginia. Heard numerous examples of this occurring, some of them taking years not months to resolve.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:30:50 PM EDT
[#5]
You think it's bad now, wait till all the baby boomers hit full retirement.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:39:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Realty companies don't control prices. The market does. Investors buy what they can resale or rent and make money-as dictated by market forces.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The problem is that investors are buying up property and realty companies are raising prices because houses are selling. Atleast thats whats happening around my area.

Realtors and bankers drove home prices up in the late 1980s and 1990s. Interest rates were falling but that's not what caused home prices to double in my area.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:47:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Southern Utah is a prime example of this.

I am in an area large enough to where we're not considered a small town, but having lived in a city before this, its still very small. When we moved here for a job my wife was offered, I noticed something very quickly; if you do not have one of the handful of higher paying jobs with the city/state/BLM or at the hospital here (#1 employer) your choice of work is between Walmart, the AT&T store, Lowes, or one of the 200 other shit employers in town that are comprised of 99% fast food, kiosks and strip mall stores where you make $9. There is one small office park in town with a few smaller businesses that have a handful of employees and that is it. If you live here and work, you either somehow work from home, work for the state/city or the hospital and that's it - the median family income is right around $42k a year.

Yet there is a subdivision of completely overpriced $1M+ housing being built and droves of $500k+ homes on the market. Other than lower end homes, which are pushed to 1 side of town, my wife and I have had no idea how people afford these homes and where do they all work? Part of that was answered when we learned that roughly a year before we moved here, it was a popular place for retired Californians to move to. We got a better understanding of what happens by someone she works with who actually sold their house to one of these people; they came by, looked at the house and offered more than they were going to list for. Shortly thereafter, all of the idiots on the block now thought their house was also worth much more and listed it. This then has a snowballing affect and with the help of the useless local realtors, caught on on all sides of town.

Just for the hell of it we toured one of these $1M dollar houses up on the hill. When they showed us the house, it was a decent house with nice upgrades...on a hill. That's it. They took a regular house, put it on a hill and hit it with a premium of 800% or something. It was to the point that I would never be able to tell anyone what I paid for it as they'd look at me and wonder why I was such a retard for paying that much money and getting this in return. This is how my wife and I have felt about 90% of the areas and houses we've seen; we wouldn't be able to tell our parents the price of them and not feel like we'd be about to get scolded.

My wife and I started looking and touring houses 8 months ago. Right off the bat, from the prices of the houses to what you were getting especially given this was a small area, we thought people were out of their minds. If it was priced at $600k, I'd think it was in the $250k-$300 range. My wife and I started playing a game where when we got a listing we'd hide the price, look at the listing and then guess what it was worth - we'd always be 200-300k low. But as usual, were always told that 'this is how it is' yet refused to buy into it and we are glad we didn't. Of the 22 houses we've looked at over that time period, they all have 1 thing in common - they're all still for sale. One example is a house listed at over $700k that magically listed the first time over a year ago when some idiot overpaid for a house on their street to only be de-listed and then re-listed again. It's slowly gone from $700k, to $650k, to $629k, to $605k and will keep going down until the actual value of around $500k appears. Yet all of these people swear their house is worth this....because of the market! What market? All of your houses are overpriced, no one is looking at them, you drop the price and nothing changes. It's ALL coming down.

I already see the idiot spec neighborhoods that developers have sat on way too long already starting to cease construction locally.
View Quote

Wow. Sounds like the D.C. market, except if you're a government employee in D.C. on TDY and can't sell when it's time to return to field, the feds buy your house for you, thereby further inflating the market.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:59:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Meh, raw land and town lot prices stayed steady in my area even after the collapse.  

In NOVA builders would come in and buy a older home on a large lot (usually a corner lot) for basically the price of the lot, tear it down, and build a Mc Mansion on it.

As housing prices went back up and the practice was more costly it left a lot of weird looking neighborhoods with mix of 50 year old ranchers and new Mc Mansions.

Add to that recent Hispanic immigrants have been buying/renting the ranchers so Mr & Mrs Mc Mansion's lives are not going as they hoped.
View Quote

Sounds like Herndon or Fairfax...maybe Springfield?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:08:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Real estate prices are nothe high.  Rather,  the dollar is worthless.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:46:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You people really need to wake up from the childish text book examples you have stuck in your head. There are no free market forces at work here. None of the pretext for market response or market pressures exist. We are not competing for a limited supply of dollars. There is no time-consequence-of-money driving the financial institutions to turn properties over in order to recover assets and maintain liquidity, in order to have the cash flow to stay in business another day.

NONE of that exists, so the simple-simon examples predicated on that model are simply bullshit.

Buyers do not set the price. They accept the terms dealt to them by a corrupt monopoly, or they are not permitted to consume. Get that straight.

Financial institutions have a near monopoly on property holdings. They set the 'value' of the property, not the buyer. Sign for the exorbitant loan amount or kiss off.

They can afford to sit on the properties indefinitely, so long as their accounting contains figures that are inflated high enough to justify their solvency. As long as they provide bogus balance sheets, the Fed gives them unlimited no-interest funds. No interest. There is no incentive to EVER pay anything back. No incentive to ever accept an offer that would upset their fraudulent accounting.

Why would I ever take your low offer, when I can print all the money I want; just by scribbling down lies? All levels of governance profit from the bogus accounting, so it will never come to an end.

The only players that can't afford to play the game that way are legitimate private land holders. This means that they're going to get squeezed out, and the institutional monopoly will grow more solid with time.

The Feudal lords and serfs model is a much better representation of American property system than any silly notions of freedom.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Realty companies" don't and cant set prices. Like anything else, home prices are determined by the market.

You people really need to wake up from the childish text book examples you have stuck in your head. There are no free market forces at work here. None of the pretext for market response or market pressures exist. We are not competing for a limited supply of dollars. There is no time-consequence-of-money driving the financial institutions to turn properties over in order to recover assets and maintain liquidity, in order to have the cash flow to stay in business another day.

NONE of that exists, so the simple-simon examples predicated on that model are simply bullshit.

Buyers do not set the price. They accept the terms dealt to them by a corrupt monopoly, or they are not permitted to consume. Get that straight.

Financial institutions have a near monopoly on property holdings. They set the 'value' of the property, not the buyer. Sign for the exorbitant loan amount or kiss off.

They can afford to sit on the properties indefinitely, so long as their accounting contains figures that are inflated high enough to justify their solvency. As long as they provide bogus balance sheets, the Fed gives them unlimited no-interest funds. No interest. There is no incentive to EVER pay anything back. No incentive to ever accept an offer that would upset their fraudulent accounting.

Why would I ever take your low offer, when I can print all the money I want; just by scribbling down lies? All levels of governance profit from the bogus accounting, so it will never come to an end.

The only players that can't afford to play the game that way are legitimate private land holders. This means that they're going to get squeezed out, and the institutional monopoly will grow more solid with time.

The Feudal lords and serfs model is a much better representation of American property system than any silly notions of freedom.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:48:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So in your part of the world, people pay more for homes than they are worth. Gatcha.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Realty companies" don't and cant set prices. Like anything else, home prices are determined by the market.

So in your part of the world, people pay more for homes than they are worth. Gatcha.

Sounds to me like banks or asking what people are willing to pay for them. Free market much?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:50:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm still waiting for the commercial RE meltdown...I'm sure it's gonna come and be a titanic event
View Quote

I'm waiting for "them" to stop building strip mall after strip mall and having them sit at 40% occupancy for years on end. My local strip malls are just as I described. But guess what, a new one is going in. I'm sure we need more pool supply stores, panda express, and barber shops.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:55:12 AM EDT
[#13]
In this thread.... we learn that moonbats can talk......
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:55:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Real estate prices are nothe high.  Rather,  the dollar is worthless.
View Quote

Quite an insight.  QE has increased the # of federal reserve notes on the Federal Reserve's books.  There's at least four times the dollars today than there were back in 2008 before QE started.

I wouldn't buy property right now but bear in mind, anyone who saves money in the bank is losing money through ZIRP or through inflation.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:02:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was watching one of these "flip the house" programs yesterday.  In Hawthorne California there was a $700K house on a busy street that was about 1400 ft2.  To me it wasn't worth more than $150K and that was after it was renovated.  Bloated market.
View Quote

Its bloated because you don't think its worth that much? I don't think a Rolls Royce is worth 300k, does that mean the luxury car market is bloated to.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:16:13 AM EDT
[#16]
I own a shit load of shit and I carry a shit-ton of paper.  I don’t give a fuck.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:29:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Ours has gone up $60k in one year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't Denver one of the few places in the Country that has an expanding economy, and a lot of good jobs?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:30:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I own a shit load of shit and I carry a shit-ton of paper.  I don’t give a fuck.
View Quote

Wat?

Are you saying you carry a lot of cash or a lot of debt?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:50:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Wow. Sounds like the D.C. market, except if you're a government employee in D.C. on TDY and can't sell when it's time to return to field, the feds buy your house for you, thereby further inflating the market.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Southern Utah is a prime example of this.

I am in an area large enough to where we're not considered a small town, but having lived in a city before this, its still very small. When we moved here for a job my wife was offered, I noticed something very quickly; if you do not have one of the handful of higher paying jobs with the city/state/BLM or at the hospital here (#1 employer) your choice of work is between Walmart, the AT&T store, Lowes, or one of the 200 other shit employers in town that are comprised of 99% fast food, kiosks and strip mall stores where you make $9. There is one small office park in town with a few smaller businesses that have a handful of employees and that is it. If you live here and work, you either somehow work from home, work for the state/city or the hospital and that's it - the median family income is right around $42k a year.

Yet there is a subdivision of completely overpriced $1M+ housing being built and droves of $500k+ homes on the market. Other than lower end homes, which are pushed to 1 side of town, my wife and I have had no idea how people afford these homes and where do they all work? Part of that was answered when we learned that roughly a year before we moved here, it was a popular place for retired Californians to move to. We got a better understanding of what happens by someone she works with who actually sold their house to one of these people; they came by, looked at the house and offered more than they were going to list for. Shortly thereafter, all of the idiots on the block now thought their house was also worth much more and listed it. This then has a snowballing affect and with the help of the useless local realtors, caught on on all sides of town.

Just for the hell of it we toured one of these $1M dollar houses up on the hill. When they showed us the house, it was a decent house with nice upgrades...on a hill. That's it. They took a regular house, put it on a hill and hit it with a premium of 800% or something. It was to the point that I would never be able to tell anyone what I paid for it as they'd look at me and wonder why I was such a retard for paying that much money and getting this in return. This is how my wife and I have felt about 90% of the areas and houses we've seen; we wouldn't be able to tell our parents the price of them and not feel like we'd be about to get scolded.

My wife and I started looking and touring houses 8 months ago. Right off the bat, from the prices of the houses to what you were getting especially given this was a small area, we thought people were out of their minds. If it was priced at $600k, I'd think it was in the $250k-$300 range. My wife and I started playing a game where when we got a listing we'd hide the price, look at the listing and then guess what it was worth - we'd always be 200-300k low. But as usual, were always told that 'this is how it is' yet refused to buy into it and we are glad we didn't. Of the 22 houses we've looked at over that time period, they all have 1 thing in common - they're all still for sale. One example is a house listed at over $700k that magically listed the first time over a year ago when some idiot overpaid for a house on their street to only be de-listed and then re-listed again. It's slowly gone from $700k, to $650k, to $629k, to $605k and will keep going down until the actual value of around $500k appears. Yet all of these people swear their house is worth this....because of the market! What market? All of your houses are overpriced, no one is looking at them, you drop the price and nothing changes. It's ALL coming down.

I already see the idiot spec neighborhoods that developers have sat on way too long already starting to cease construction locally.

Fascinating.  Tell me more about this wonderful program.  People come to DC on TDY and buy houses?  Then, when they leave, the government buys them back at above-market prices?  

Again, fascinating.

This must have crashed the rental market by now.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:17:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Wat?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wat?

He is saying he owes a lot of debt on a lot of property, most likely both mortgage(s) and auto(s).

I believe a more technical way to say it would be that he is highly leveraged.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:25:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Here's an $8000 3-bedroom home that's been on Zillow for over three months:

It's gotta be haunted by the ghosts of meth-using bigfoots

It's in Aurora, Missouri (not all that far from Springfield, Branson, and Joplin).
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:40:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What is lender credit?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh. Bought my place this year for $200,000 less than the owner paid and got a historically low rate.

This. I bought last year at 200k-300k under value and got a 3.25% rate with $14,000 back in lender credit.

What is lender credit?

A means for Suckers to dig themselves deeper in debt...

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:53:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Isn't Denver one of the few places in the Country that has an expanding economy, and a lot of good jobs?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Denver and the surrounding areas unemployment has increased over 3% over the past year.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:36:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Denver and the surrounding areas unemployment has increased over 3% over the past year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just sold my 1.5 acre property South of Denver.  It was one of the happiest days of my life.

New owner is a pothead-hippy-I.T. Guy.       Don't care.    God bless the Legal Weed movement.   Got me out from under a $2000/month mortgage.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:43:35 AM EDT
[#25]
im 20, been trying to move out for 2 years now. market sucks, i mean i make a decent salary but i still can't afford shit
plus no one will give me a loan even though i have great credit
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:14:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brilliant refutation.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:16:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Sounds to me like banks or asking what people are willing to pay for them. Free market much?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm impressed with the endurance of your attention span.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 4:15:20 PM EDT
[#28]
The housing market is a subsidized and manipulated market because of its impact on the overall economy.  Interest rates are suppressed on one side of the equation which tends to cause speculation (i.e. housing) and consumption over saving, and on the other side you have willing GSE (Government Sponsored Enterprise) buyers, who will buy questionable mortgages from the note originators in accordance with federal policy and guidelines.  Quit suppressing yields, and stop underwriting questionable paper, and this market looks totally different.  

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:13:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
im 20, been trying to move out for 2 years now. market sucks, i mean i make a decent salary but i still can't afford shit
View Quote

if you "cant afford shit" what in the HELL do you want a loan for?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does he have to loose?  If he can't afford the payments, the risk ultimately gets transferred to you one way or the other.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:41:12 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I own page 4
View Quote

Wrong.  Goatboy owns it...

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:46:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The banks were NEVER motivated to sell properties even when they were foreclosures or at risk of foreclosure through short-sales, because they all got bailed out. With ZERO motivation to sell they didn't have to really drop prices or do anything to accommodate buyers.  When we purchased our home in 2009 most of the foreclosures demanded either straight cash or that you were financed through them or a private loan rather than government VA loan.  The banks didn't want to maintain the properties at all or bring them into conformity with all the requirements of the government backed loans and they had zero motivation to do so. In other words, the banks were all too happy to take the government bailouts, but were telling buyers with government backed VA loans to go #$%@ themselves. When it came to short-sales they were sitting on those short-sale approvals for MONTHS sometimes.  

View Quote

13 months in my case.

And 21 months in the case of one of my employees.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:55:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Well yeah.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

What's "Good Credit" and what are you looking at purchasing and how much are you putting down?

What was the explicit reason you aren't getting a loan?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:11:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Yes very high.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:19:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You don't "got" anything.
You're in over your head, and don't no which direction the wind is blowing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes in your world, the "real estate " companies get together every monday and set the prices.  I think youve spent too much time "blowing" in the wind.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:26:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Realtors and bankers drove home prices up in the late 1980s and 1990s. Interest rates were falling but that's not what caused home prices to double in my area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NO they didn't.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:36:20 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
NO they didn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NO they didn't.

This

Besides real estate didn't really start to go into a bubble until after the internet crash.  That's when the government, along with assistance from the Fed keeping interest rates down, decided to put a mortgage in everyone's pot.  

Let's face it, the economy peaked in 99-00, and except for some artificial manipulation has been fairly shitty.  Adjusted for inflation median household incomes are much lower then they were 14 years ago.  Couple this with the fact that public and private debt is much higher, entrepreneurship, and workforce participation rates much lower, and you have all the symptoms of a shitty economy.  

Real estate, stocks, and bonds, are all bubbly right now.   The economy is horribly distorted.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:43:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yes in your world, the "real estate " companies get together every monday and set the prices.  I think youve spent too much time "blowing" in the wind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

jtreckler is not wrong.  The QE programs and authorized marked to model accounting changes saved the insurance/financial sector from their own greed and mismanagement.  In a real free market system we would have seen a ton of failures in the too big to fails, instead the risk was simply transferred to us in the form of suppressed rates, inflation, and debt.  Assets that have been inflated from these programs will also eventually deflate.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:50:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Very likely...
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top