BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:08:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Voting in elections in the US is not a right, not in that it is a natural right that every man and woman has. It is a privilege reserved only to citizens of this nation.

Once you make that distinction, you see that your point is moot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is a serious subject.  One that is not taken lightly, and should be thought out and debated ad nauseam before any changes are made.  This isn't some BS road project or school lunch program here, this is serious shit.  We the people have the ballot box and the ammo box, and Im not for giving up any of them. None zip zero nada not a fucking inch and here is why....

The taking of peoples rights are a gradual process, a lot of the things that are ultimately are used to do so start out innocently enough. A gun law here, a gun law there, a new agency here, a new agency there, a restriction to the ballot box here, a restriction to the ballot box there.  'We need to be able to read your email, monitor your phone, hack your phone to keep you safe from those people. You got nothing to hide so whats the difference."  " Its not gun registration cause we don't keep the records."   Every time we accept this we lose a little power, until Its only an illusion. We support this or that which may or may not restrict this groups rights. Then they do it to someone else, and then to us gun owners again and around we go. Left hates the right. Right hates the left. All the while the government keeps passing laws that restrict people. Every time we lose a little rights and the government get more of what it wants, control.  Liberty won't die in the blaze of a battle for the rights of the citizens, it will sigh and close its eyes forever.

Its easy to say its only an ID whats the big deal? Everyone has one. Gotta have one to drive, get food stamps, pick up your Oxy, sign up for school, have a job, get ObamaCare,etc..

But none of those are rights. Some places in America you can still do a face to face gun sale without the papers. I would no sooner give that up than restrict the right of the citizens to vote.

AlvinYork we have had some lively discussions in the past on various issues, but I do enjoy these discussions as I do with most on here.  Any bad jokes and or smart ass remarks by me should be ignored as the bad internet humor they are.

Voting in elections in the US is not a right, not in that it is a natural right that every man and woman has. It is a privilege reserved only to citizens of this nation.

States determined who could vote making it a privilege. Feds stepped in and said no discrimination, so it's essentially a right. No?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:10:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll leave this here to educate the masses, there's no Constitutional Right to vote when it comes to Federal elections

http://www.wsbradio.com/weblogs/nealz-nuze/2008/feb/21/2008-02-21/#democracy
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:40:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is a serious subject.  One that is not taken lightly, and should be thought out and debated ad nauseam before any changes are made.  This isn't some BS road project or school lunch program here, this is serious shit.  We the people have the ballot box and the ammo box, and Im not for giving up any of them. None zip zero nada not a fucking inch and here is why....

The taking of peoples rights are a gradual process, a lot of the things that are ultimately are used to do so start out innocently enough. A gun law here, a gun law there, a new agency here, a new agency there, a restriction to the ballot box here, a restriction to the ballot box there.  'We need to be able to read your email, monitor your phone, hack your phone to keep you safe from those people. You got nothing to hide so whats the difference."  " Its not gun registration cause we don't keep the records."   Every time we accept this we lose a little power, until Its only an illusion. We support this or that which may or may not restrict this groups rights. Then they do it to someone else, and then to us gun owners again and around we go. Left hates the right. Right hates the left. All the while the government keeps passing laws that restrict people. Every time we lose a little rights and the government get more of what it wants, control.  Liberty won't die in the blaze of a battle for the rights of the citizens, it will sigh and close its eyes forever.

Its easy to say its only an ID whats the big deal? Everyone has one. Gotta have one to drive, get food stamps, pick up your Oxy, sign up for school, have a job, get ObamaCare,etc..

But none of those are rights. Some places in America you can still do a face to face gun sale without the papers. I would no sooner give that up than restrict the right of the citizens to vote.

AlvinYork we have had some lively discussions in the past on various issues, but I do enjoy these discussions as I do with most on here.  Any bad jokes and or smart ass remarks by me should be ignored as the bad internet humor they are.

So voting isn't a corner stone of our democracy?  If we don't have a right to vote exactly how was it designed to work?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:45:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'll leave this here to educate the masses, there's no Constitutional Right to vote when it comes to Federal elections

View Quote

The Constitution does not give you rights. The founders considered your rights to be "God-given" or "natural rights" — you are born with all your rights. The constitution does, however, protect your rights by:

Limiting the powers of government by granting to it only those specific powers that are listed in the Constitution
Enumerating certain, specific rights which you retain. These are listed in the Bill of Rights.

The rights deemed most important by the founders are specifically listed in the Bill of Rights. The Bill of Rights also says that, even though a particular right is not listed in the Bill of Rights, you still retain that right. Any powers not specifically delegated by the Constitution to the federal government are retained by the states and the people.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:16:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That is kind of a loaded question and not a simple yes or no. And I have had a bit of scotch so bear with me...

First, I believe that everyone has a right to protect themselves. Guns are a good tool for this. Now a 10 year old has the same right to life and to protect themselves as I do. But does that mean they be allowed to own and carry a gun? Probably not. Basically what I am trying to say is that I think that if someone (an adult) can't be trusted with a gun then they can't be trusted in society. Which opens a whole other can of worms about who determines who is ok to own a gun. But I am obviously talking about the most dangerous members of society. People that most of us here can agree shouldn't be around. So if this was the case and they weren't in society a UBC would be a moot point.
But this is not the world we live in.
Strictly in theory UBCs can sound like a good idea and I can understand why people support them and think that they would be a good thing. Personally, I do not see the act of a background check as an actual infringement. Whatever someone did to be flagged from owning a gun is the infringement. Sure some might be good but others might be bad. I do not trust the govt enough to determine who becomes prohibited. Some day could me posting on arfcom be enough for someone to flag me as too dangerous to own a gun?
Another reason I am strongly against background checks is because of the registries they would create. I do not think it is anyone else's buisness to know what I own.

But back to IDs I still don't think it is necessarily a bad thing even for a gun purchase. If I wanted to sell a gun I would ask for an ID. If you didn't want to show me that's fine too, no sale. I would want to cover my own ass. Who's to say the person didn't drive from NY and claim to be from NH that's a huge red flag. Or if he said his name was john smith and his ID says Brian jones, another red flag. Am I infringing on their rights or being responsible by saying no sale?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Simple question. Would you consider a mandatory free online instant universal background check for all gun sales that would carry a felony penalty for violating or falsifying it a infringement of your rights?

That is kind of a loaded question and not a simple yes or no. And I have had a bit of scotch so bear with me...

First, I believe that everyone has a right to protect themselves. Guns are a good tool for this. Now a 10 year old has the same right to life and to protect themselves as I do. But does that mean they be allowed to own and carry a gun? Probably not. Basically what I am trying to say is that I think that if someone (an adult) can't be trusted with a gun then they can't be trusted in society. Which opens a whole other can of worms about who determines who is ok to own a gun. But I am obviously talking about the most dangerous members of society. People that most of us here can agree shouldn't be around. So if this was the case and they weren't in society a UBC would be a moot point.
Strictly in theory UBCs can sound like a good idea and I can understand why people support them and think that they would be a good thing. Personally, I do not see the act of a background check as an actual infringement. Whatever someone did to be flagged from owning a gun is the infringement. Sure some might be good but others might be bad. I do not trust the govt enough to determine who becomes prohibited. Some day could me posting on arfcom be enough for someone to flag me as too dangerous to own a gun?
Another reason I am strongly against background checks is because of the registries they would create. I do not think it is anyone else's buisness to know what I own.

But back to IDs I still don't think it is necessarily a bad thing even for a gun purchase. If I wanted to sell a gun I would ask for an ID. If you didn't want to show me that's fine too, no sale. I would want to cover my own ass. Who's to say the person didn't drive from NY and claim to be from NH that's a huge red flag. Or if he said his name was john smith and his ID says Brian jones, another red flag. Am I infringing on their rights or being responsible by saying no sale?

Yeah... I'm not gonna read all that, but I can readily see that it's too long to be "no".
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:18:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yeah... I'm not gonna read all that, but I can readily see that it's too long to be "no".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Simple question. Would you consider a mandatory free online instant universal background check for all gun sales that would carry a felony penalty for violating or falsifying it a infringement of your rights?

Haha there is a no in there.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:20:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

or a YES

Most important part of post.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:33:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

or a YES
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

or a YES

Read it a little better. I do not agree with background checks for how they can be used. But I wouldn't necessarily see the act of checking someone's background as an infringement. I have had many background checks done over the years for many diffrent things. I just don't trust the govt enough to give them that power.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:45:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Read it a little better. I do not agree with background checks for how they can be used. But I wouldn't necessarily see the act of checking someone's background as an infringement. I have had many background checks done over the years for many diffrent things. I just don't trust the govt enough to give them that power.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

or a YES

So is a universal background check an infringement or not?

You say "I do not trust the govt enough to determine who becomes prohibited. "and then say "I wouldn't necessarily see the act of checking someone's background as an infringement."
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:47:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well is it? I say no, the real affront is that we don't universally demand a photo ID.
View Quote

Wait... for everything?

Voting?  Sure.

Just about anything else?   No sir.   Fuck that.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:50:01 PM EDT
[#11]
it sure will hurt liberals from voting a dozen times
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:07:10 AM EDT
[#12]
[b]Quoted:

So is a universal background check an infringement or not?

You say "I do not trust the govt enough to determine who becomes prohibited. "and then say "I wouldn't necessarily see the act of checking someone's background as an infringement."
View Quote

If you just want a one word answer then I would say "yes".

But like I tried, and failed, to explain things aren't so black and white. I'm sure even you think there are some people who just shouldn't have a gun.
There are people who are not allowed to own guns. For whatever reason, that is the actual infringement and for violent felons for example that's not a bad thing, in my opinion. The background check is a way to see who is restricted it is not.
And I am against registries which is the only way they could work.
And I believe a gun is just a piece of personal property that should be able to be bought or sold. But I think the sellers should do their best to be responsible in who they sell to. Which goes back to how I would ask for an ID.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:21:03 AM EDT
[#13]
In what context, OP? A valid traffic or Terry stop? No--it makes sense. Any other situation? Depends on the state. In Florida, if an officer lacks reasonable suspicion to detain or PC to arrest/issue traffic citation, that officer cannot demand ID. He can ask, and the suspect can say no.

ETA: Wait, do you mean to vote? No, it's not an affront. It makes sense.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:46:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Here in Rhode Island, there are a lot more registered voters than people eligible to vote.  Sounds like a system ripe for fraud.

http://www.providencejournal.com/opinion/editorials/20141010-the-phantom-voters.ece

In fact, an RI State Representative reported that her identity was stolen  by someone when she last tried to vote in an election, and that she also saw the same man vote twice:http://www.politifact.com/rhode-island/statements/2012/oct/03/ann-coulter/ann-coulter-says-rhode-islands-voter-identificatio/

A few more tid-bits which, I'm sure never happen anywhere else:http://rnla.org/blogs/blogs/public/archive/2012/05/23/democrats-in-ri-tell-the-story-behind-voter-id-in-the-bluest-of-all-states.aspx

All of the "usual suspects" are railing against the recently enacted voter ID law.  Very interesting to look at the groups for and against some things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
On one hand it makes some sense. On the other hand, how prevalent is voter fraud? I've never seen a report with any thing I'd deem significant. Is the added cost and bureaucracy worth it? They already have to register and get a registered voting card. I worked the 2004 election in MO, and they way they had it set up seems reasonable. I don't think anyone voted who shouldn't have.

It's like people who think we should have a gun license. The fraction of unlawful gun users doesn't make it prudent that the vast majority of lawful ones should be inconvenience and treated like a criminal.

Here in Rhode Island, there are a lot more registered voters than people eligible to vote.  Sounds like a system ripe for fraud.

http://www.providencejournal.com/opinion/editorials/20141010-the-phantom-voters.ece

In fact, an RI State Representative reported that her identity was stolen  by someone when she last tried to vote in an election, and that she also saw the same man vote twice:http://www.politifact.com/rhode-island/statements/2012/oct/03/ann-coulter/ann-coulter-says-rhode-islands-voter-identificatio/

A few more tid-bits which, I'm sure never happen anywhere else:http://rnla.org/blogs/blogs/public/archive/2012/05/23/democrats-in-ri-tell-the-story-behind-voter-id-in-the-bluest-of-all-states.aspx

All of the "usual suspects" are railing against the recently enacted voter ID law.  Very interesting to look at the groups for and against some things.

Some anecdotal data doesn't make it a problem. Even some fraudulent votes don't make it a problem. I need some hard data before I find such measures prudent.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:30:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Wait... for everything?

Voting?  Sure.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well is it? I say no, the real affront is that we don't universally demand a photo ID.

Wait... for everything?

Voting?  Sure.

by universal I mean country wide for voting.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:35:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:42:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:48:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you control who where and when the IDs are issued than you control the election.

Do you really want the government (current administration) to decide if you can get a voter ID?
View Quote

Assuming you are correct, that means that if no IDs are issued for elections, no one controls the elections. If you're worried about who issues IDs, limit it to state-issued ID.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What if you are broke and can't afford a state issued ID?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-fourth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What if you are broke and can't afford a state issued ID?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-fourth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

1. Despite the USSCt's illiteracy, the 24thAm only applies to federal elections.

2. If your analogy is valid, then the 24thAm requires the government to provide transportation to the polls for the poor.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:57:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It's not so much as an affront as it is one more cut.

What happens when the law is changed to only certain kinds of ID? Then the requirements for the ID will change? Then the cost will change.

This is the same way the left goes for gun control. Not all at once, but little by little.
View Quote

The franchise is already established well beyond the constitutional mandate.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:00:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I can remember a time when true conservatives flipped the fuck out over a universal ID. Just suggesting anything more than a drivers license, limited for driving use only, meant you were a Clinton political operative in disguise.

Not saying that universally requiring registered photographic identification to exercise your rights is wrong, just commenting on how much...progress...conservatives have made.
View Quote

Requiring a state or federal ID as a condition of voting is not the same as requiring a standardized ID as a condition of living.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:02:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

There is the issue. Requiring an "approved" ID to exercise your rights.

How very progressive of the conservatives.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can remember a time when true conservatives flipped the fuck out over a universal ID. Just suggesting anything more than a drivers license, limited for driving use only, meant you were a Clinton political operative in disguise.

Not saying that universally requiring registered photographic identification to exercise your rights is wrong, just commenting on how much...progress...conservatives have made.

There is the issue. Requiring an "approved" ID to exercise your rights.

How very progressive of the conservatives.

So the first person to appear at the polling place claiming to be TheWenisPrinkle gets to cast TheWenisPrinkle's vote, and whoever shows up second is shit out of luck.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:09:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

The franchise has never been as broad as it is now.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:10:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It also pretty well solves the problem of the dead casting a ballot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Libs say No photo id law?  OK, purple thumbs

This.

that just protects from double, triple voting.

No it doesn't.  You just bring in people from out of state to vote for the dead.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:16:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

No it doesn't.  You just bring in people from out of state to vote for the dead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

that just protects from double, triple voting.

Why? The point of a photo ID would be so that people couldn't do this.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:19:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

By this line of thinking the same is to be said of the universal background check and gun owner licenses.
View Quote

A constitutional gun-law regime would require proof of nothing (except perhaps majority; presumably an 8 year-old's father could prevent him from owning a gun). A constitutional and meaningful voting regime requires proof that the person casting a ballot is the person in whose name it is cast and is a resident of the district in which it is cast.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:22:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
And I get what you are saying.

But I don't fully agree. I see things like gun registries and licenses as an actual infringement. Or laws against which types of guns or how many bullets the magazine can hold. That is infringement.

No one is telling me how to vote. Or that I can or can not vote. Only that my vote is attached to me and I will use it, or not use it, the way that I think is best.
View Quote

If somebody already showed up, said "I am c7aea15," and cast a ballot, you will most certainly be denied the right to vote.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:25:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The Constitution does not give you rights. The founders considered your rights to be "God-given" or "natural rights" — you are born with all your rights. The constitution does, however, protect your rights by:

Limiting the powers of government by granting to it only those specific powers that are listed in the Constitution
Enumerating certain, specific rights which you retain. These are listed in the Bill of Rights.

The rights deemed most important by the founders are specifically listed in the Bill of Rights. The Bill of Rights also says that, even though a particular right is not listed in the Bill of Rights, you still retain that right. Any powers not specifically delegated by the Constitution to the federal government are retained by the states and the people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are incorrect. The "right" to vote is defined by the Constitution, not by natural law.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:19:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If somebody already showed up, said "I am c7aea15," and cast a ballot, you will most certainly be denied the right to vote.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And I get what you are saying.

But I don't fully agree. I see things like gun registries and licenses as an actual infringement. Or laws against which types of guns or how many bullets the magazine can hold. That is infringement.

No one is telling me how to vote. Or that I can or can not vote. Only that my vote is attached to me and I will use it, or not use it, the way that I think is best.

No, you would get a provisional ballot.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:22:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You are incorrect. The "right" to vote is defined by the Constitution, not by natural law.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do tell.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:25:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

A constitutional gun-law regime would require proof of nothing (except perhaps majority; presumably an 8 year-old's father could prevent him from owning a gun). A constitutional and meaningful voting regime requires proof that the person casting a ballot is the person in whose name it is cast and is a resident of the district in which it is cast.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

By this line of thinking the same is to be said of the universal background check and gun owner licenses.

Please define "constitutional" voting system please ?

So who checked IDs when the first elections where held in the US?

What IDs did they except ?

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:30:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Assuming you are correct, that means that if no IDs are issued for elections, no one controls the elections. If you're worried about who issues IDs, limit it to state-issued ID.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you control who where and when the IDs are issued than you control the election.

Do you really want the government (current administration) to decide if you can get a voter ID?

You're are suggesting we go back to the days when states could set unresonable standards to cast a vote. It's just not enough of a real problem to go fucking with the system over.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:49:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You're are suggesting we go back to the days when states could set unresonable standards to cast a vote. It's just not enough of a real problem to go fucking with the system over.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is asking for a card (free to anyone who wants one of course) with your name and picture on it, as opposed to just asking for your name really unreasonable though?  I am not understanding how this would be fucking with the system.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:56:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Is asking for a card (free to anyone who wants one of course) with your name and picture on it, as opposed to just asking for your name really unreasonable though?  I am not understanding how this would be fucking with the system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is unreasonable to believe that requirement to presenting proof of identity when it necessary to present ID for normal life activity is unreasonable
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 4:14:53 PM EDT
[#35]
I will leave it to the reader to locate the source material from which the following language, which defines the right to vote in federal elections*, is derived. I will point out, because it is so often overlooked, that there is no right under the Constitution for any individual to vote for president.

". . . the Electors in each State shall have the Qualifications requisite for Electors of the most numerous Branch of the State Legislature."

"Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be appointed an Elector. . . ."

"The Electors shall meet in their respective states and vote by ballot for President and Vice-President, one of whom, at least, shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves; they shall name in their ballots the person voted for as President, and in distinct ballots the person voted for as Vice-President."

"The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude."

"The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex."

"The District constituting the seat of government of the United States shall appoint in such manner as the Congress may direct:

A number of electors of President and Vice President equal to the whole number of Senators and Representatives in Congress to which the District would be entitled if it were a state, but in no event more than the least populous state; they shall be in addition to those appointed by the states, but they shall be considered, for the purposes of the election of President and Vice President, to be electors appointed by a state; and they shall meet in the District and perform such duties as provided by the twelfth article of amendment."

"The right of citizens of the United States, who are 18 years of age or older, to vote, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any state on account of age."

"*The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any state by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax."

Not a quotation, but a summary of decisional law compelling legislative districting. One person, one vote.

* Although this statement refers only to federal elections, a certain oracular body has by application of its mystical powers determined that it applies to state elections as well.

I am eager to learn of any natural law origin for the right to vote in the US.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 4:19:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not at all. The time you refer to was a time when voters were know to the poll deputies, or were identified (as they recently have been some places) by signature comparison. There were never any dirty tricks involving identity employed to minority voting; black people were not allowed to register or to vote. It was not a secret.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 4:43:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That would eliminate the ability of every deployed service member to vote or at a bare minimum add another layer of shit for them to deal with.

You didn't address my question above?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just so we are clear here you are OK with being required to show a state approves ID to exercise your rights ?

I have no problem with being able to show I am who I say I am. That in no way limits my rights.

Now if proving identity could somehow limit my, or someone else's, rights then yes I would have a problem with that. Or if the state somehow said you need a special ID to vote but only gave them to democrats of course I would have an issue with that.

So we are going to do away with mail in and absentee ballots also?  Cant check an ID through the mail.

At least though the mail you have a name attached to an address.
And aren't some states restrictive on that already?

That would eliminate the ability of every deployed service member to vote or at a bare minimum add another layer of shit for them to deal with.

You didn't address my question above?

You think military absentee ballots are actually counted? That's hilarious.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you have proof that they aren't? Serious question. Because that's pretty fucked up.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 4:56:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

So we are going to do away with mail in and absentee ballots also?  Cant check an ID through the mail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just so we are clear here you are OK with being required to show a state approves ID to exercise your rights ?

I have no problem with being able to show I am who I say I am. That in no way limits my rights.

Now if proving identity could somehow limit my, or someone else's, rights then yes I would have a problem with that. Or if the state somehow said you need a special ID to vote but only gave them to democrats of course I would have an issue with that.

They have these amazing new "copy" machines.

Requiring photo ID is not a burden.  Most people already have one in the form of a driver's license.  The "poor" have ID so they can receive welfare benefits.  Non-driver photo ID's are usually available at the DMV for free or a nominal fee.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 4:59:01 PM EDT
[#40]
I for one, think that those against having some form of picture identification have something to hide. As a law abiding citizen I prefer those that refuse to get an I.D. be looked upon as being a suspect of something that's against the law, or is hiding an ongoing criminal enterprise, including misusing government issued benefits. It makes it easier to identify those that are wanted, illegal, or otherwise suspect.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:00:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

None of those things are rights.

And voter fraud is practically negligible. 300+ million people in the country and not even half turn out to vote in a Presidential election. Kind of doubting the claims of voter fraud being the reason.

This is no more than what gun control advocates do and anti-abortion proponents do. It's simply attempting to suppress a certain part of the population with claims of social good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Funny how the people bitching the loudest cannot defend the following comments

ID's are needed to travel on commercial aircraft
ID's are needed for opening a bank account
ID's are needed for cashing checks
ID's are needed for employment
ID's are needed for school

it isn't about the ID...it is all about the fraudulent vote.  the ones fighting for this the hardest...enjoy the fraudulent vote.

And voter fraud is practically negligible. 300+ million people in the country and not even half turn out to vote in a Presidential election. Kind of doubting the claims of voter fraud being the reason.

This is no more than what gun control advocates do and anti-abortion proponents do. It's simply attempting to suppress a certain part of the population with claims of social good.

Technically, neither is voting, however it is a civil activity reserved exclusively to US Citizens.  Not resident aliens, and certainly not illegal aliens.  Citizens.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:02:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Funny how the people bitching the loudest cannot defend the following comments

ID's are needed to travel on commercial aircraft
ID's are needed for opening a bank account
ID's are needed for cashing checks
ID's are needed for employment
ID's are needed for school

it isn't about the ID...it is all about the fraudulent vote.  the ones fighting for this the hardest...enjoy the fraudulent vote.

DU troll identified.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:03:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Again what about the people deployed?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure you can.  You can take the absentee ballot into a bank, court house, or a dozen other places and have it notarized....for free.  The notary just verifies who you are and that it matches the paperwork; and then stamps and signs it.  Then you mail it in as usual.

Again what about the people deployed?

Every unit has a commissioned officer appointed as Voting Assistance Officer.  Every unit has a Legal Officer and/or a Field Grade officer (often many).  All of them (except the Voting Assistance Officer) are authorized by law to act as a notary and to administer oaths.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:05:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thumbs up!

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Do you have proof that they aren't? Serious question. Because that's pretty fucked up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heck, just Google "military voter suppression."  You get the predictable results - many links saying it's so, and the Democrat response.

Generally, most states don't bother to count absentee ballots unless the total number could make a difference to in-person election results.  They stop counting when the remaining uncounted ballots wouldn't change the outcome.  This comes up every single election cycle, and state/county election officials make unambiguous statements to that effect.

In addition, every election you see the Dem party trying legal trickery to throw out military ballots.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I for one, think that those against having some form of picture identification have something to hide. As a law abiding citizen I prefer those that refuse to get an I.D. be looked upon as being a suspect of something that's against the law, or is hiding an ongoing criminal enterprise, including misusing government issued benefits. It makes it easier to identify those that are wanted, illegal, or otherwise suspect.
View Quote

Huh.

My sarcasm detector appears to be broken.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

no whats an affront are the 22k laws on the second amendment....
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:42:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:48:18 PM EDT
[#50]
I did not read all the replies but honestly this is 2014 and soon to be 2015 and I am stunned that people are carping that a significant number of people don't have some sort of I.D.
I just don't believe it or accept it as a realistic argument.
With God only knows how many millions of people are in this nation illegally and not to mention felons who many have lost their right to vote to argue that voter I.D. is not a valid issue is nuts.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top